London Ride 100

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    The more I see of this event the less impressed I become.

Just went to Excel to register. Tme for a rant:

What a PITA. Why can they not just post these out (and charge for doing so?) They seemed to have about 10,000 staff handling this, many milling about doing F*ck all. Imagine most of these people are being paid thus reducing the amount of money going to charity. Doubtless the events company are making a killing.

Why hold this at Excel? There are few places in London as cycle unfriendly as the Docklands. I noted on ExCel's site that they have 3700 car parking spaces and only 60 cycle spaces. Ride London's own website makes no mention of cycling as a means of getting to the registration (of what is a BL00DY CYCLING EVENT) and insteas suggests people use PT.

The staff are utter jobsworths as well. Almost refusing to handover my colleagues pack (was collecting on her behalf) had her signed formc a copy of her driving licnece and passport and an email saying it was ok, but was told:
    "we need a signed letter from her authorising this, otherwise we could be handing her pack to anyone"
    Yeah anyone who has her form and copies of her id...

Really cannot be arsed with this whole thing now, would rather just ride by myself.

LOL. Why didn't you just walk your bike in? Thats what thousands of triathlon competitors did last weekend.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'll be at home with the kids, fettling with my Rourke trying to figure out what the clicking sound is from the rear wheel, then perhaps Cinema Sunday while I don't think off all you lot getting pi$$ed on around Leith Hill.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    The more I see of this event the less impressed I become.

Just went to Excel to register. Tme for a rant:

What a PITA. Why can they not just post these out (and charge for doing so?) They seemed to have about 10,000 staff handling this, many milling about doing F*ck all. Imagine most of these people are being paid thus reducing the amount of money going to charity. Doubtless the events company are making a killing.

Why hold this at Excel? There are few places in London as cycle unfriendly as the Docklands. I noted on ExCel's site that they have 3700 car parking spaces and only 60 cycle spaces. Ride London's own website makes no mention of cycling as a means of getting to the registration (of what is a BL00DY CYCLING EVENT) and insteas suggests people use PT.

The staff are utter jobsworths as well. Almost refusing to handover my colleagues pack (was collecting on her behalf) had her signed formc a copy of her driving licnece and passport and an email saying it was ok, but was told:
    "we need a signed letter from her authorising this, otherwise we could be handing her pack to anyone"
    Yeah anyone who has her form and copies of her id...

Really cannot be arsed with this whole thing now, would rather just ride by myself.

LOL. Why didn't you just walk your bike in? Thats what thousands of triathlon competitors did last weekend.

1. Because I didn't know you could
    2. because I am not a triathlete
    3. That's gonna be fun for people when the event gets really busy.

Honestly so much faff for one poxy Sportive. It's hardly the bloody Etape is it.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    vermin wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    Have you heard the lot of you? It's only weather. Try living in Manchester We have bad weather Every. Single. Day. I shall be riding in short sleeves and bib shorts whilst a cloud of northern hardness is hovering overhead.

I spent Sunday to Tuesday on the bike. Set off early Sunday morning from home in Hale, south Manchester. Rode up to Ormskirk and then on to Skipton (102 miles). Then on Monday did a circuit of the Yorkshire Dales (taking in Fleet Moss and Buttertubs) (about 80 miles). Then finally on Tuesday rode from Skipton, via Ormskirk, back to Hale (120 miles). Weather forecast was for rain the entire trip. Of course, it was gloriously sunny every pedal stroke of the way, until I arrived back in Hale, whereupon the Lord said "I will bring a flood of waters upon the earth to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life under heaven. Everything that is on the earth shall die." Or something similar.

Go Ms Manc. I'll be cheering for you. I'll recognise you by the gills.

That weather sounds very familiar. Rides impressive too - them's some hills up there, none of this Box Hill nonsense :roll:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    1. Because I didn't know you could

It was mentioned further up the thread that there was indoor cycle parking.

Bit disappointed with the offerings this year compared with last - seemed fewer bargains/clearance bits of kit and didn't get the chance for a free jersey, tho given I'd cycled over in my work attire probably a good job, already got hot enough due to an enforced sprint along Aspen Way (60mph dual carriageway with maniac lorry drivers) after discovering Blackwall Way was shut and there being no signs indicating there was a cycle path on the other side of the road :roll:
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    That about sums up my attitude to sportives.

I have only done one, that was enough.

The route is there every weekend. Get together with some mates and do a free sportive whenever you like.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    drlodge wrote:
    I'll be at home with the kids, fettling with my Rourke trying to figure out what the clicking sound is from the rear wheel

Tub valve?
    left the forum March 2023
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    drlodge wrote:
    I'll be at home with the kids, fettling with my Rourke trying to figure out what the clicking sound is from the rear wheel, then perhaps Cinema Sunday while I don't think off all you lot getting pi$$ed on around Leith Hill.

My money is its your bottom bracket and the back wheel is a red herring. ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Imagine most of these people are being paid thus reducing the amount of money going to charity. Doubtless the events company are making a killing.

Is it the same company as the London Marathon? In which case, I think they make even more money from the charities (not for the charities).

Still looking forward to the event. Not often you can ride through London on closed roads and set some personal Strava times I'll never be able to match.

Could be finished by 11!
    exercise.png
  • il_principe
    TheStone wrote:
    Imagine most of these people are being paid thus reducing the amount of money going to charity. Doubtless the events company are making a killing.

Is it the same company as the London Marathon? In which case, I think they make even more money from the charities (not for the charities).

Still looking forward to the event. Not often you can ride through London on closed roads and set some personal Strava times I'll never be able to match.

Could be finished by 11!

Doing it with work, relay team so only riding 25 miles. Sure it's a great event but some of the organisation is v poor. Also if there is indoor cycle parking why not mention this on the website?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    elbowloh wrote:
    The freecycle was carnage last year. The whole route was seriously packed. Was fun though! Lots of cool bikes, trikes, tandems, penny farthings etc. Lots of peeps dressed up.
    Ah

right ...

Ok ... thanks for that ... bum, cos the weather looks to be good on Saturday too - so that'll encourage more :(

Ohwell - I guess we'll have fun comewhat may - Mrs Slowbike is a Breeze Champion - so she can shuv those off who encroach on the left and I'll take the right! :D
  • Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    First road event for 3 years and on closed roads! V excited and my pre-event hypochondria has now fully kicked in.

With various work colleagues spending the last few days sneezing and snotting - is that the beginning of a sore thoat I can feel? Should I sack off my commute home tonight? If I do will exposure to public transport further exacerbate the risk of contracting something bad? Am I worrying too much? Balls.

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    edited August 2014
    TheStone wrote:

Could be finished by 11!

Doing it with work, relay team so only riding 25 miles. Sure it's a great event but some of the organisation is v poor. Also if there is indoor cycle parking why not mention this on the website?
    It does very clearly mention in the final instructions that you can go to Excel on your bike and leave it in a secure room. I did it last year and registration is a pita, I wouldn't bother just for 25 miles but riding through London on closed roads for 100 miles is pretty good fun. It's the only sportive I've ever done.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    track-a.jpg

Gabba weather
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Bike parking at excel was good. The exhibition was not.

Veronese,

I still owe you thar beer.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    track-a.jpg

Gabba weather
    Isn't that the opening credits to Dad's Army?

Might be too warm for Gabba? Plus mine is long sleeve.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    It will be fairly warm. Though the breeze will chill wet skin quite a bit. A short sleeve one would be a wise choice. Otherwise gilets.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    you all need to get thee selves a gabba gilet like NOW!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    rubertoe wrote:
    Bike parking at excel was good. The exhibition was not.

Veronese,

I still owe you thar beer.
    Picked up my leukaemia & lymphoma research top, then had a couple of beers with Stevo. Didn't think much of the exhibition bit.
    We'll have to have that beer another time Mr Toe.
  • rubertoe
    We will V, we will.

Can someone please explain to me what i am supposed to put in that massive bag? or am i supposed to cut holes in it and wear it when it opours with rain.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• elbowloh
    itboffin wrote:
    Gabba Gabba doooo.

Stop your Gibba Gabba.

I can't stop gabbing on.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    rubertoe wrote:
    We will V, we will.

Can someone please explain to me what i am supposed to put in that massive bag? or am i supposed to cut holes in it and wear it when it opours with rain.
    You don't have to do anything with it.

It's just that if you want some warm clothes for the finish you put them in the bag. Drop it off at the start and it will magically be transported to the finish for you. They'll not accept any other bag though, just that one.

btw, does it have straps so you can carry it on the bike to/from the ride?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I know lots of you are doing this, and lots of you doing it for charities too....but this is final, blatant push for anyone who can see their way to dropping a few quid to Bliss.

Details below.

Thanks, and to my fellow riders, enjoy!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    itboffin wrote:

Naaah, why be so complicated? Just bring an umbrella.........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rubertoe
    elbowloh wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    We will V, we will.

It's just that if you want some warm clothes for the finish you put them in the bag. Drop it off at the start and it will magically be transported to the finish for you. They'll not accept any other bag though, just that one.

Yes it does. I might put a couple of Gillets and a rain jacket in there... so at least i'll have a dry one for the ride home.

• il_principe
    Gonna be far too warm for a Gabba. Just get wet I reckon. I'm taking my Muur jacket, but only as I have to ride to the Newlands Corner Hub and then hang around until my relay rider arrives...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Rolf F wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Naaah, why be so complicated? Just bring an umbrella.........
    Like this guy?
    PP5PPhu.png
    Similar weather conditions too.
  • elbowloh wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    We will V, we will.

No Straps but if you have a daysack or small bag, you carry your kit in that, stow away your official plastic bag in said day sack, and the swap them over when you hand over your kit to the trucks.

This is useful for people that don't want, or need to go back anywhere near the start when they have finished, but need to carry kit around..
    Specialized Dolce Elite - Commuter Bike
    Charge Plug - Pootle Bike
    Ribble R872 - 'Nice' Bike
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Last year the bags had long handles, lots of people were riding to the start with them over their shoulders.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • elbowloh wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    We will V, we will.

No Straps but if you have a daysack or small bag, you carry your kit in that, stow away your official plastic bag in said day sack, and the swap them over when you hand over your kit to the trucks.

This is useful for people that don't want, or need to go back anywhere near the start when they have finished, but need to carry kit around..

It does have straps and people were wearing them like rucksacks - not sure I would ride too far like that