London Ride 100

Comments

• willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    So yeah, i'm doing this now 8) Raising money for the Christian Aid and their maternal health projects in Kenya: https://www.justgiving.com/Will-Beresford1

Name___________Wave________Start_______Expected Time
    itboffin.....................Blue A..............6:00..............
    tetm........................Orange A...........6:02.............Not as fast as willy b last year
    BigMat......................Orange A...........6:02............3:59 (got to aim high!)
    willy b......................Orange A...........6:02............ Faster than me last year
    turnstyle...................Orange A...........6:02............ 4hrs 31 last year, hopefully faster this year.
    Cat With no Tail .........Orange D...........6:12 .............4hrs 45
    Mpdouglas................Orange D...........6:12..............4hrs 49
    Cyclingprop...............Orange D...........6.12.............. ~5 hours.... on no training... lol
    Wrath Rob................Yellow A............6:15..............
    Spasypaddy...............Orange C...........6.22.................. Sub 5 hours
    Alansd1980................Blue G..............6:25..............5 Hours hopefully...
    London-Red...............Blue G..............6.25...............5hrs 30
    TheStone..................Blue G..............6.25...............5hrs 00 (aiming for sub-5, but unlikely)
    Coopster 1st..............Orange E...........6:27................4h 50m, maybe 4h 45m
    W12 Lad...................Black J.............6.37................sub 5.30
    TimothyW.................Yellow C............6:40...............5:30 ish
    Asprilla.....................Black A.............6:42...............5hrs
    Cycler00...................Black A.............6:42...............
    Monkey Monster.........Blue L..............6:45............... 5hrs 15ish too (aiming for sub 5 but we'll see...)
    FoldingJoe................Blue L...............6:45................ 5hrs 30ish
    marcusjb..................Black B..............6:52................on the tandem to have a good time, not to do a good time
    Rubertoe.................Green A ........... 7:00............ sub 6 Hours
    Elbowloh.................Green A.............7.00..................5 hours 30ish
    Veronese68..............Blue N...............7:15................6 hrs
    PBo........................Black D.............7.17................ 6 h
    Applespider.............Yellow F............7.30...............6.45
    Leeefm...................Black G.............7:47................ 6hrs 30
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    Great news, that's a pair of strong wheels for me to clutch at for 4 minutes until I faint.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Orange A/6.02 for me too. Hardly ridden more than about 15 miles in one go since Christmas (wife's been injured so off the bike plus house purchase/renovation has taken most weekends) and am nearly a stone heavier than last year so will be grabbing any wheel I can get.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    tetm wrote:
    Great news, that's a pair of strong wheels for me to clutch at for 4 minutes until I faint.
    At which point you'll have just passed Boff, one legged peddling having left 2 minutes earlier.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    tetm wrote:
    good luck with that. i got out of the neutral zone before giving up and realising i was going to die holding wills wheel...
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    6:15 wave, look forward to catching some of you lot ;)*

*at the food stop
  • willy b
    You don't stop for food. You don't stop for water. It's essentially a 100 mile TT.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    willy b wrote:
    You don't stop for food. You don't stop for water. It's essentially a 100 mile TT.

yep for a 100 mile flat ride you should be able to carry everything you need, especially as the chances of finding a group to ride in will be very high
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • iPete
    There goes my plan to close those gaps... but are you SURE you don't want a bit of cake?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    itboffin wrote:
    willy b wrote:

yep for a 100 mile flat ride you should be able to carry everything you need, especially as the chances of finding a group to ride in will be very high

Do what? I got through 6 x 750ml bottles on the Notts Sportive (and the really is pretty damn flat) and had cramps for the last 20 odd miles.

(mind you the temp did hit 30C for a lot of the ride)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • willy b
    2 x 750ml bottles, a banana and 4 gels is all I had last year.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    itboffin wrote:
    is there anyone NOT doing this ride?

Me. Applied but didn't get a place. Will apply again next year. I won't do it for charity though- I feel bad asking people for money for something I can do quite easily. I will save that for Lejog...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Orange A/6.02 for me too. Hardly ridden more than about 15 miles in one go since Christmas (wife's been injured so off the bike plus house purchase/renovation has taken most weekends) and am nearly a stone heavier than last year so will be grabbing any wheel I can get.

This.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Hopefully my piriformis syndrome will clear up before then...
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    We're staying at the premier inn at Stratford. Pretty handy because it's literally over the road from my start zone, and there is a massive shopping centre to keep the boss happy while I'm doing bike things.

What I want to know though is what's the riding like round olympic park and the surrounding area? We're there all week, and I want to get out a couple of times. Just for a quick blast. 50-60k max.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Its pretty built up, you'd need to ride out to get to any decent roads - best bet probably under Greenwich foot tunnel and out through S E London to Kent lanes. The other option (depending on what is happening on the weekend) would be to use the race circuit in the Olympic park, basically a super-smooth one mile loop in the shadow of the Olympic velodrome. Nice for an hour or so but probably a bit dull for any longer.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Updated with our team's target time. I need to get some miles in, as well as work out how to get 4 bottles on the bike

Name___________Wave________Start_______Expected Time
    itboffin.....................Blue A..............6:00..............
    tetm........................Orange A...........6:02.............Not as fast as willy b last year
    BigMat......................Orange A...........6:02............3:59 (got to aim high!)
    turnstyle...................Orange A...........6:02............ 4hrs 31 last year, hopefully faster this year.
    Cat With no Tail .........Orange D...........6:12 .............4hrs 45
    Mpdouglas................Orange D...........6:12..............4hrs 49
    Cyclingprop...............Orange D...........6.12.............. ~5 hours.... on no training... lol
    Wrath Rob................Yellow A............6:15.............. 4hrs 15
    Spasypaddy...............Orange C...........6.22.................. Sub 5 hours
    Alansd1980................Blue G..............6:25..............5 Hours hopefully...
    London-Red...............Blue G..............6.25...............5hrs 30
    TheStone..................Blue G..............6.25...............5hrs 00 (aiming for sub-5, but unlikely)
    Coopster 1st..............Orange E...........6:27................4h 50m, maybe 4h 45m
    W12 Lad...................Black J.............6.37................sub 5.30
    TimothyW.................Yellow C............6:40...............5:30 ish
    Asprilla.....................Black A.............6:42...............5hrs
    Cycler00...................Black A.............6:42...............
    Monkey Monster.........Blue L..............6:45............... 5hrs 15ish too (aiming for sub 5 but we'll see...)
    FoldingJoe................Blue L...............6:45................ 5hrs 30ish
    marcusjb..................Black B..............6:52................on the tandem to have a good time, not to do a good time
    Rubertoe.................Green A ........... 7:00............ sub 6 Hours
    Elbowloh.................Green A.............7.00..................5 hours 30ish
    Veronese68..............Blue N...............7:15................6 hrs
    PBo........................Black D.............7.17................ 6 h
    Applespider.............Yellow F............7.30...............6.45
    Leeefm...................Black G.............7:47................ 6hrs 30
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Updated with our team's target time. I need to get some miles in, as well as work out how to get 4 bottles on the bike

I've just bought a Bontrager Race Lite Rear Bottle Holder so I can stick another couple of bottles behind my saddle for this event. In a morning I'm getting through about 400ml on the 1hr25mins to get to work.

As usual, I'm probably over analysing, but I'm going with three 600ml bottles.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    nice one BigMat that's the spirit sub 4 people sub 4 :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • iPete
    Asprilla wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

I've just bought a Bontrager Race Lite Rear Bottle Holder so I can stick another couple of bottles behind my saddle for this event. In a morning I'm getting through about 400ml on the 1hr25mins to get to work.

Oh, I'd forgotten we are targeting 4:15!

I've got a behind the seat bottle holder for my track frame, might switch it over. Just strap the damn things down, bottles make great missiles on bad roads.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/B ... fc5a62.jpg
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    I'm late to the party and posting from my phone so apologies for not posting the table.

Set off at 6:15 and can't remember the time which I said I would complete. However on Sunday I did the 103 mile Bike Bath event which had near enough 6000 feet of climbing and completed that in 6:12 pedalling time 6:40 overall. 50 miles solo and 50 miles in a group of 3. Hopefully aiming for 5:30.

Is hiding in wheels acceptable for 100?
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Asprilla wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Just bought the same holder. Planning on going with 4x750ml bottles if it's particularly warm, or 3 otherwise.
  • iPete
    Who's getting the razor out for this one then?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZnrE17Jg3I
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm doing this with work, but it's a relay so I only get to ride 1 x 25 miles section. Doing the bit from the bottom of Shere corner to Leatherhead. Coming at that with fresh legs I intend to play merry hell with those doing the full 100. A full on 25mile sporting TT for me :twisted:
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    menthel wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Me. Applied but didn't get a place. Will apply again next year. I won't do it for charity though- I feel bad asking people for money for something I can do quite easily. I will save that for Lejog...

Same, applied the last 2 years and not got in. I smell a conspiracy with you lot all getting in for the second time. Hardly fair, moan moan moan.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Lefthook wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Same, applied the last 2 years and not got in. I smell a conspiracy with you lot all getting in for the second time. Hardly fair, moan moan moan.
    join a club, help out at events, get places.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Lefthook wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

join a club, help out at events, get places.
    Yep
    Just seen a post on my club forum asking for 15 volunteers to help marshall in return for a guaranteed place next year
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    My Club got 16 places

2 x means teams (of 4)
    1 x womens team
    1 x Mixed team.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Charity place last year.
    Ballot this year.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Lefthook wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Ballot place last year. £3,000 raised for charity this year. Easy.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX