London Ride 100

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I rode in from Kew Bridge last year and I'll be doing it again this year.

There is something quite special about starting the ride on your own and other riders joining as you go along then arriving at the Olympic Park as part of a large peloton. And riding along Oxford street in a group of 20 at 5am was something unusual :)

I rode in form a mate's house in Stoke Newington last year. I had a vague idea of where I was going but after a couple of minutes I joined two others and then a couple more and so on. None of us knew where we were going really and eventually we turned onto the A11 and there were thousands of cyclists there. I felt a little sorry for the few cars stuck in the middle of it all as cyclists filtered through on all sides. They couldn't really go anywhere.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    new question - does anybody know a forum for cycling slackers where I can repost my question and hope they can be bothered to reply
    just book a cab
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    Name___________Wave________Start_______Expected Time
    itboffin.....................Blue A..............6:00..............
    tetm........................Orange A...........6:02.............Not as fast as willy b last year
    turnstyle...................Orange A...........6:02............ 4hrs 31 last year, hopefully faster this year.
    Cat With no Tail .........Orange D...........6:12 .............4hrs 45
    Mpdouglas................Orange D...........6:12..............4hrs 49
    Cyclingprop...............Orange D...........6.12.............. ~5 hours.... on no training... lol
    Wrath Rob................Yellow A............6:15..............
    Spasypaddy...............Orange C...........6.22.................. Sub 5 hours
    Alansd1980................Blue G..............6:25..............5 Hours hopefully...
    London-Red...............Blue G..............6.25...............5hrs 30
    TheStone..................Blue G..............6.25...............5hrs 00 (aiming for sub-5, but unlikely)
    Coopster 1st..............Orange E...........6:27................4h 50m, maybe 4h 45m
    W12 Lad...................Black J.............6.37................sub 5.30
    Asprilla.....................Black A.............6:42...............5hrs
    Cycler00...................Black A.............6:42...............
    Monkey Monster.........Blue L..............6:45............... 5hrs 15ish too (aiming for sub 5 but we'll see...)
    FoldingJoe................Blue L...............6:45................ 5hrs 30ish
    marcusjb..................Black B..............6:52................on the tandem to have a good time, not to do a good time
    Rubertoe.................Green A ........... 7:00............ sub 6 Hours
    Elbowloh.................Green A.............7.00..................5 hours 30ish
    Veronese68..............Blue N...............7:15................6 hrs
    PBo........................Black D.............7.17................ 6 h
    Applespider.............Yellow F............7.30...............6.45
    Leeefm...................Black G.............7:47................ 6hrs 30 (maybe less)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    London-Red wrote:
    Does anybody have experience of getting cabs (and or man with van) to drop them off? 2 of us setting off from Kingston and getting dropped at Rotherhithe tunnel looks a likely option. All thoughts/suggestions welcomed.

Probably not very helpful, but I'm planning on riding to the start from Kingston - might live to regret it, but it seems the least worst option.
    I was thinking of jumping on a train to Waterloo and riding from there in a vague attempt to minimise the pain later. A friend of mine has a start time late enough to get one of the chartered trains from Richmond to Stratford. Unfortunately they don't get in until 6:53 so my wave would be shut by then.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Veronese68 wrote:
    London-Red wrote:
    Does anybody have experience of getting cabs (and or man with van) to drop them off? 2 of us setting off from Kingston and getting dropped at Rotherhithe tunnel looks a likely option. All thoughts/suggestions welcomed.

Probably not very helpful, but I'm planning on riding to the start from Kingston - might live to regret it, but it seems the least worst option.
    I was thinking of jumping on a train to Waterloo and riding from there in a vague attempt to minimise the pain later. A friend of mine has a start time late enough to get one of the chartered trains from Richmond to Stratford. Unfortunately they don't get in until 6:53 so my wave would be shut by then.

I would check train times as from Surbiton I can find nothing arriving in Waterloo between 01:04 and 07:25
  • asprilla
    Yup, remember that it's on a Sunday so no early trains.

Also, for those planning on riding there, remember that all the most direct routes will be closed for the event.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    tetm........................Orange A...........6:02.............Not as fast as willy b last year
    BigMat......................Orange A...........6:02............3:59 (got to aim high!)
    turnstyle...................Orange A...........6:02............ 4hrs 31 last year, hopefully faster this year.
    Cyclingprop...............Orange D...........6.12.............. ~5 hours.... on no training... lol
    Alansd1980................Blue G..............6:25..............5 Hours hopefully...
    TheStone..................Blue G..............6.25...............5hrs 00 (aiming for sub-5, but unlikely)
    Coopster 1st..............Orange E...........6:27................4h 50m, maybe 4h 45m
    Monkey Monster.........Blue L..............6:45............... 5hrs 15ish too (aiming for sub 5 but we'll see...)
    marcusjb..................Black B..............6:52................on the tandem to have a good time, not to do a good time
    Elbowloh.................Green A.............7.00..................5 hours 30ish
    Leeefm...................Black G.............7:47................ 6hrs 30

I'm basically going to have to ride like **** from the gun to try and catch my clubmates who are off at 6 - if I can do that and then hang on, it should be faaaaaaast!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Veronese68 wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

I would check train times as from Surbiton I can find nothing arriving in Waterloo between 01:04 and 07:25
    Good point, tell me more about this cab you're booking...
  • surrey_commuter
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

Good point, tell me more about this cab you're booking...

Talking to cab firms is not a good way to spend an afternoon - is difficult to work out if two bikes would go in a Galaxy type vehicle (maybe I could ask Addison Lee next time they are cutting me up). I might ask a black cab on the rank as I reckon you would not need any dismantling.
    Route wise the A3 must go under race route at Putney then down to drop-off at Rotherhithe tunnel
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Hopefully this will help. Last year my wife dropped me off at Rotherhithe tunnel, right by the tunnel. It was really easy to get there from Worcester Park which is near Kingston by simply going up the A3 all the way. For those of you in Surbiton / Kingston I'd suggest parking the car the night before on the side of the route near the A3 if you live on the other. The drop off at Rotherhithe worked really well and getting to the Stratford really easy. My only regret was not choosing the Blackwall Tunnel route so I could cycle through it as you cannot normally do this but that's minor. My wife then went home, went off to meet friends and headed to Hampton Court Bridge to wave as I went passed (in fact I stopped for a bit as I knew where they would be), then went home and got train in to see me at the Mall with Beer, hip flask, Trainers and few other things. We hung around in Green Park for a bit after the event then went to waterloo and got a train back home with no problem.

The A3 goes under the route twice first at Raynes Park then again at Tibbets Corner.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • surrey_commuter
    Sketchley wrote:
    Hopefully this will help. Last year my wife dropped me off at Rotherhithe tunnel, right by the tunnel. It was really easy to get there from Worcester Park which is near Kingston by simply going up the A3 all the way. For those of you in Surbiton / Kingston I'd suggest parking the car the night before on the side of the route near the A3 if you live on the other. The drop off at Rotherhithe worked really well and getting to the Stratford really easy. My only regret was not choosing the Blackwall Tunnel route so I could cycle through it as you cannot normally do this but that's minor. My wife then went home, went off to meet friends and headed to Hampton Court Bridge to wave as I went passed (in fact I stopped for a bit as I knew where they would be), then went home and got train in to see me at the Mall with Beer, hip flask, Trainers and few other things. We hung around in Green Park for a bit after the event then went to waterloo and got a train back home with no problem.

The A3 goes under the route twice first at Raynes Park then again at Tibbets Corner.

sounds like I am barking up the right tree with the drop off - can't see the wife putting two young kids in the car at 05:00 on a Sunday
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    I rode to the start last year. Route from SW London was along CS7 then head up to cross over at London Bridge which is one of the only bridges you can cross at since it goes over the cycle route. From there I went right at Leadenhall Street and followed that past the one way system to the A11 (CS2) which goes all the way out to the Olympic Village. I just followed the other cyclists when we got close. It's not hard to find. Then for the ride home you could quickly cross the cycling traffic on the route at any bridge.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    London Bridge route should do me, but what's this, you can cycle through the Blackwall Tunnel?! That sounds intriguing!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I got a parking space at London Bridge....£15 for the day.

Still have to cycle to the start and back from finish.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Just a word of warning...I was knackered at the end of the route last year, could hardly get off my bike. After a short rest I then had to cycle to Stratford and my legs were rigid. You won't want to be cycling a long way afterwards if you're going for a fast time!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Yes I went through Blackwall (southbound tunnel) at <28mph last year. It were right fun. But theres been no comms about cycling routes this year that I can see (yet).
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    100 miles isn't that far...and the elevation is pretty minimal....
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • surrey_commuter
    Yes I went through Blackwall (southbound tunnel) at <28mph last year. It were right fun. But theres been no comms about cycling routes this year that I can see (yet).

Friday's e-mail had a map with car parks and drop off points. Head for one of them and pick up the signs.
  • cyclingprop

Friday's e-mail had a map with car parks and drop off points. Head for one of them and pick up the signs.

I don't need a car park.

Last year there were identified crossings, thats all I want.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    anyone that is cycling down from Barnet or enfield or anywhere near by need any company. drop me a line.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • spasypaddy
    rubertoe wrote:
    anyone that is cycling down from Barnet or enfield or anywhere near by need any company. drop me a line.
    loads of my clubmates are meeting at the bald faced stag in east finchley. im sure you can tag on with them
  • rubertoe
    I know it well,

How will they take to me in my ICC kit though....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    is there anyone NOT doing this ride?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • asprilla
    itboffin wrote:

Sketchley.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cyclingprop
    You if you don't heal up.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Asprilla wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Sketchley.

Me :evil:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    and me.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • spasypaddy
    rubertoe wrote:
    I know it well,

How will they take to me in my ICC kit though....
    it wouldnt be a problem if you said you knew me and will (not that it should be a problem anyway).

however we're all starting way before you... i think the guys meeting there are all in my pen at 6.22
  • rubertoe
    Its cool. I think i will just make my own way down and then i can just take it easy.

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    BigMat......................Orange A...........6:02............3:59 (got to aim high!)
    TimothyW.................Yellow C............6:40...............5:30 ish
    Leeefm...................Black G.............7:47................ 6hrs 30

I certainly could come in via East Finchley - current plan is to ride in from Harrow, pending finding someone's couch that is a bit closer to the start line.