Thatcher is Dead

Comments

• ooermissus wrote:
    To be honest, she's rather more deserving than the previous recipient of state funeral.

Churchill?

God no, Churchill was, and remains, the greatest Englishman ever to have graced this plane of existence.

Last recipient of a state funeral was the awful woman who married into the limited German gene-pool.

Neither HRH Queen Mother or Diana Princess of Wales had a state funeral. So you must mean Queen Victoria. :?

Was the Princess of Wales' funeral not state?

Either way, I meant her
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    I hope she doesn't come back as a zombie
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Ballysmate wrote:
    [
    [

From that article:

"
    She played a key role not only in bringing about the first Gulf War but also using her influence to publicly advocate for the 2003 attack on Iraq
    She was a steadfast friend to brutal tyrants such as Augusto Pinochet, Saddam Hussein
    quote]

Talk about having your cake and eating it!
    Wanting to wage war on Saddam (Twice) And being his steadfast friend? Come on?

I was under the distinct impression that the first Gulf War was brought about by Saddam Hussein invading Kuwait.

You are correct.
    I was posting the quote fom Cleat's post, and trying to point out that she couldn't be both.
  • VTech wrote:
    I take it from that you are anti royalty ? The greatest historic sector of Britain left in existence today.

I'm anti-everyone these days.

I was once a royalist, a conservative, and a Christian.

Now I'm mainly in support of a godless communist state
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    ooermissus wrote:
    To be honest, she's rather more deserving than the previous recipient of state funeral.

Churchill?

God no, Churchill was, and remains, the greatest Englishman ever to have graced this plane of existence.

Last recipient of a state funeral was the awful woman who married into the limited German gene-pool.

Neither HRH Queen Mother or Diana Princess of Wales had a state funeral. So you must mean Queen Victoria. :?

Either way, I meant her
    No her funeral was not a state funeral.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • I stand corrected then.
  • ooermissus wrote:

Churchill?

Either way, I meant her
    That's what happens when you try to be "smart"
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    BREAKING NEWS: Atos declare Margaret Thatcher fit for work :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    VTech wrote:
    Another ex workforce expecting a free ride.
    We didnt make them strike, they wanted more, the sales couldnt justify the extra wages they wanted and it went pear shaped for them.
    Then a lifetime of bitterness and anger.

The real people suffering are those these days who have lost their jobs through the recession, those who simply wanted to go to work and do a hard days graft.
    THEY are the ones to feel for, not the ex miners who wanted to strike.

The miners' strike was about pit closures not wages. And unemployment had more than doubled before the strike began, reaching levels not seen since the 1930s (and much much higher than today).

Painful economic restructuring may have been needed back then, but it is both callous and ignorant of you to pretend that there was no suffering in the eighties, just greedy workers.
  • kemic68
    kemic68 Posts: 43
    Wonder what Thatcher and Jimmy Saville discussed at Chequers......Fucking miners/minors
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    ooermissus wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    We didnt make them strike, they wanted more, the sales couldnt justify the extra wages they wanted and it went pear shaped for them.

The real people suffering are those these days who have lost their jobs through the recession, those who simply wanted to go to work and do a hard days graft.

The miners' strike was about pit closures not wages. And unemployment had more than doubled before the strike began, reaching levels not seen since the 1930s (and much much higher than today).

Painful economic restructuring may have been needed back then, but it is both callous and ignorant of you to pretend that there was no suffering in the eighties, just greedy workers.

I never said that though did I !!!
    Miners, just like those at MG Rover didn't/wouldnt listen to the harsh facts that all of them couldnt be kept employed in a dying industry, gas was superior and always going to win the battle, so they chose to fight and in the end the majority lost.

This isnt just about miners, its the world over, all industry that believes things dont need to change.
    Living MY dream.
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    VTech wrote:
    ooermissus wrote:
    VTech wrote:

I never said that though did I !!!
    Miners, just like those at MG Rover didn't/wouldnt listen to the harsh facts that all of them couldnt be kept employed in a dying industry, gas was superior and always going to win the battle, so they chose to fight and in the end the majority lost.

This isnt just about miners, its the world over, all industry that believes things dont need to change.

I think, through my experience, you ought to stop now. Just a little advice, thats all. :)
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    She will polarise views. communities in mining areas will not mourn her passing a certain community in the South Atlantic probably will.

I think to our shame as a nation we have no primary or secondary industry these days. I'm sure if the mines were financially viable they would be re-opened. If that were the case I would applaud that as I don't like being held to ransom by other countries for the supply of energy.

Love her or loathe her she won three elections. Perhaps those with so much vitriol should save it for the opposition parties of the time who let them down.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • VTech
    You are of course almost certainly right. People are arguing but against me rather than the topic which when same and morally minded people read this thread will either think it highly amusing or that so many people on this forum are of a horrid nature.

I'm not saying she was right, I'm not saying she was wrong.

I'm saying let a dead person sleep an move on wih our lives.
    Mocking the dead is a sin.
    Living MY dream.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    VTech wrote:

A view you're entitled to be respected for, i'm sure - but I believe that hanging out with and offering political and personal support to dictators who tortured 30,000 of their own people, and murdered 3000 is an unbelievably more offensive sin. As is deciding to cold bloodedly destroy whole industries as a way of undermining trade union power - or actively encouraging the insecurity that comes with unemployment.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    I was hoping for more jokes
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:

A view you're entitled to be respected for, i'm sure - but I believe that hanging out with and offering political and personal support to dictators who tortured 30,000 of their own people, and murdered 3000 is an unbelievably more offensive sin. As is deciding to cold bloodedly destroy whole industries as a way of undermining trade union power - or actively encouraging the insecurity that comes with unemployment.

How did she do that ?
    Trade unions killed off what was a dying industry that was not sustainable.
    That's like saying the government destroy everyday businesses who fail because no one wants what they are offering.
    Coal wasn't ended by thatcher, I don't think any strong minded person really believes that.
    Living MY dream.
  • mididoctors
    coal wasn't ended full stop

whatever thatchers legacy is we are living it.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Cleat Eastwood
    VTech wrote:
    VTech wrote:

How did she do that ?
    Trade unions killed off what was a dying industry that was not sustainable.
    That's like saying the government destroy everyday businesses who fail because no one wants what they are offering.
    Coal wasn't ended by thatcher, I don't think any strong minded person really believes that.

Vtech - the attack on the miners had nothing to do with the viability of an industry - it was vengeful attack because of what the miners did to the heath government. And they would have done the same to the thatcher government but for 2 faults - 1. scargill failled to call for a ballot and 2. the gutless notts miners.

If as team47b says you were 9 at the time then your position is understandable - if not then i can only give you a big :cry:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    I was hoping for more jokes
    Just like Thatcher I refer to my wife as 'The Iron Lady'

She is also known as 'The cook Lady' ' The wash Lady' and 'The cleaning Lady'
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • VTech
    Am I the only one who thinks it odd that at the EXACT time of the strikes, gas was plumbed into the UK at the fastest rate ever ?
    Also, as a trade union rep, how did Arthur amass such a multi million pound fortune ?
    Living MY dream.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Dont have a go at arthur - from an arthur scargill tweet (can it really be him)

"Paris - Roubaix cycle race yesterday: Still bewildered as to how a human can cycle at 27mph over cobblestones for 160miles. Amazing Race!"

Is he really a millionaire - if he is good luck to him - maybe he just followed the example of the son of the late margaret roberts. :lol:
  • ooermissus
    VTech wrote:
    Am I the only one who thinks it odd that at the EXACT time of the strikes, gas was plumbed into the UK at the fastest rate ever ?

Yes. Because - yet again - this is another of those 'facts' that you've made up.
  • VTech
    ooermissus wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Yes. Because - yet again - this is another of those 'facts' that you've made up.

1965 North sea gas discovered in the West Sole field

1968 Natural gas conversion programme starts at Burton on Trent

1976 Natural gas conversion programme completed

1986 Privatisation of the gas industry, creating British Gas plc

The miners strike couldnt have happened at a better time, or........
    Maybe I just made history up ?
    Living MY dream.
  • ooermissus
    Yes exactly. Gas conversion was completed many years before the miners' strike. Not at the EXACT same time.
  • VTech
    The conversion was not the final fit :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

The Chinese are believed to have made use of natural gas as early as the 3rd century AD and its use was common in the USA in the second half of the 19th century. Natural gas was imported into Britain by ship in liquid form from 1959, for use in the new reformer plants. After large quantities natural gas were discovered off the coast of Yorkshire in 1965, the gas industry decided to supply this gas direct to consumers rather than use it to make manufactured gas. However, natural gas, which is predominantly methane, has very different burning properties from manufactured gas (mainly hydrogen and carbon dioxide). It was therefore necessary to adapt or replace every gas appliance in Britain, of which there were around 20 million, in a conversion process which started in 1967 and took ten years to complete. Many of the old appliances which National Gas Museum has were collected because they were could not be converted to use natural gas.

After conversion came the piping of gas to the "Grid"
    Living MY dream.
  • mididoctors
    David Cameron has just sent his offical letter to the Thatcher residence.

It starts "I regret to inform you that due to recent events you now have too many bedrooms..."
  • mididoctors
    Just seen the plans for Margaret Thatcher's grave.

Beautiful really, but I think they should have made the dancefloor bigger.
  • mididoctors
    natrix wrote:
    Earlier today Margaret Thatcher was admitted to hospital, she was not expected to live - her condition was described as satisfactory..........

prefer this version

Doctors tonight have described Baroness Thatchers condition as "Satisfactory

or this

Margaret Thatcher has died. Police are now treating the incident as 'hilarious'.
  • mididoctors
    What's the difference between Margaret Thatcher and Edwina Currie. ?

One screwed miners and the other screwed Majors.