Comments

• bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Feel like a long cool :-Budeophile
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    neeb wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    You could say the same about many things, people who collect old cars, planes etc etc.
    You dont need to use something to admire it. If that were the case almost all of the worlds finest cellars would be null and void.
    I think the point here is that the main thing about wine that is admirable is its taste - that's what it's for. Otherwise why not just collect empty bottles or labels? That would be a perfectly decent hobby if you admired those aspects of wine production. With an old car, a large part of what gives it value is its aesthetics (you don't collect old cars for their speed or fuel efficiency), and you can also admire the design and function of its engine without using it. It's difficult to see how you can meaningfully admire a wine without tasting it - the aspects of its production and chemical composition which contribute to its taste are too abstractly related. Also, even most car collectors would probably feel that they wanted to drive their cars now and again to justify owning them and to fully appreciate them..

On a slight tangent, I actually have a bit of a problem understanding people who collect functional things without using them. I have a small collection of 1970s high-end vintage Seiko watches. They are fascinating for their unique and varied in-house movements and their aesthetics that combine 70s design with subtle influences of traditional Japanese aesthetics. However, I have had them all fully serviced by a watchmaker (at a cost almost equal to their relatively modest value) and wear them on a daily basis - it doesn't make sense to me to have a collection of things designed to perform a particular function sitting in a drawer being effectively "dead".

Someday, all watches will be made this way.
  • neeb wrote:
    On a slight tangent, I actually have a bit of a problem understanding people who collect functional things without using them. I have a small collection of 1970s high-end vintage Seiko watches. They are fascinating for their unique and varied in-house movements and their aesthetics that combine 70s design with subtle influences of traditional Japanese aesthetics. However, I have had them all fully serviced by a watchmaker (at a cost almost equal to their relatively modest value) and wear them on a daily basis - it doesn't make sense to me to have a collection of things designed to perform a particular function sitting in a drawer being effectively "dead".

I was in a watch shop in Miami about 10 years ago, and the guy offered me $30,000 for the cartier I was wearing. I politely declined. A couple of years ago I had a bad bike crash and my 1st thought was 'am I ok', my 2nd thought was wondering how badly damaged my watch was….
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    neeb wrote:

I was in a watch shop in Miami about 10 years ago, and the guy offered me $30,000 for the cartier I was wearing. I politely declined. A couple of years ago I had a bad bike crash and my 1st thought was 'am I ok', my 2nd thought was wondering how badly damaged my watch was….
    You have my pity sir :roll: :lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    seanoconn wrote:
    neeb wrote:

You have my pity sir :roll: :lol:

Don't know what's worse, being pitied by you or VTech :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I pity the fact he can only afford a 30k watch.

For that I'm truly sorry for your lack of funds.
    Living MY dream.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    VTech wrote:

Now, now vtech humour and money do not mix! :|
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • arran77
    VTech wrote:

£30k for a watch pfft.

You need one of these, his watches start at about £150k and go up to £500k :wink:

http://www.rwsmithwatches.com/
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • VTech
    @bianichimoon, your right, apologies.

@arran77, thats a thing of beauty there sir. Very nice.
    Living MY dream.
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    VTech wrote:

VTech, can I please quote this from you on page two of this thread?
    Dont be hater matey, if you spent the same amount of time investing in yours/families future you may also learn to spell.

As you are a well educated fellow, I shall let you work it out :wink:
  • VTech
    MartinGT wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Dont be hater matey, if you spent the same amount of time investing in yours/families future you may also learn to spell.

Touche !

Ill let YOU work it out too :mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    VTech wrote:
    MartinGT wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Touche !

:?
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    MartinGT wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    MartinGT wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Touche !

:roll:
  • arran77
    florerider wrote:
    MartinGT wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    MartinGT wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Touche !

:roll:

:lol:

seanoconn