Any Oenophile's here ?

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited March 2014 in The cake stop
I'm an avid wine lover, not so much a drinker but a collector of fine wines, my preference based on the napa region with both whites and reds.
Anyone else here with an interest in collecting ?
Living MY dream.

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I'm sure as the profile of cycling has changed over the last few years that there will be one or two more Porsche/Aston/Maserati driving, Colnago/Baum/Storck riding oenophiles
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • VTech
    I'm not sure that is always the case, some of the finest store wines come from aldi as they own several great vineyards producing very good quality wines at affordable prices.
    I've also read several posts on this forum relating to the best way to invest and yet never once has anyone (that I have read at least) suggested wine, yet wine yields one of the finest returns on the market, much better than gold !
    Living MY dream.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I understand wine appreciation.

I understand collecting.

I understand investment.

But to attempt to make money by not drinking it seems anachronistic these days and surely against the spirit of the word oenophile.

I'm sure you have 'invested' in the Douro from time to time though :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I'm sure you know already but Waddesdon Manor isn't that far from your neck of the woods and has a great collection. There used to be organised tours & dare I say it tasting events back in the 80s and 90s. Not sure if they still do them though. Château Lafite Rothschild and Château Mouton Rothschild. Not a bad place to start :D
  • VTech
    I have advised people to buy their kids 6 lafite each birthday as investment for school fees and EVERYONE who has done this has ZERO to pay when the time comes.
    I've been to the manor and was impressed by the place.
    I do realise that some people are against laying up wines but some are too important to drink.
    Living MY dream.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Reading this thread made me "Google".

Found a site FCF Investments. It all looks very good, but then they would say that. If it's true it looks well worth a dabble. I suppose it's a little unconventional for the average Joe and would need some convincing from an independent source.

Looks good though.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • VTech
    Wine can return investment profits your bank would turn to jelly over.
    Living MY dream.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    VTech wrote:
    I have advised people to buy their kids 6 lafite each birthday as investment for school fees and EVERYONE who has done this has ZERO to pay when the time comes.
    I do realise that some people are against laying up wines but some are too important to drink.

They could've just drank the stuff and sent their kids to to a "normal" school :lol:

Seriously though, I don't think I'd have the willpower to hold on to the product for long enough to make it worthwhile.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Garry H wrote:
    VTech wrote:

They could've just drank the stuff and sent their kids to to a "normal" school :lol:

Seriously though, I don't think I'd have the willpower to hold on to the product for long enough to make it worthwhile.

You don't have to physically have the product to invest in it, much like gold, oil or any other commodity, there are investment funds that cover pretty much anything now.
  • VTech
    Yes, Many people store "in bond" avoiding VAT and sell in a similar fashion, through bond storage.
    I collect for other reasons as well though, the different bottles, places ive travelled etc. It can be addictive.
    Living MY dream.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,150
    You need to have a chat with Esafosfina in Pro Race. He's an ex-pro who now works in the wine industry doing wine education among other things I believe.
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    Fine wine has fallen in price over the past couple of years and historically wine hasn't done especially well as an investment, especially when the costs of storing the stuff are taken into account. Other than that - great advice.
  • VTech
    ooermissus wrote:
    Fine wine has fallen in price over the past couple of years and historically wine hasn't done especially well as an investment, especially when the costs of storing the stuff are taken into account. Other than that - great advice.

Of course I "knew" someone would come on and argue the point with me but to put it quite simply, I am correct in what I say.
    If you have decent wines from several years to several decades it WILL be worth more than you paid for it. Its all about holding the right wine, and I do realise people lose, as in all situations but if you have something like Lafite, Petrus, Chateaux Montelena etc you will still have huge returns.

Lafite 2000, £2500 (buy a case and that easily covers tuition 1 of uni)
    Petrus 1989, 34,000e per case (years 2 and 3 of uni covered in full)
    Monetelena 1973, £50,000 per bottle (nice deposit on first home, nice return for the $6 bottle)

And I do know not all perform so well, and some years prices drop but thats why you sell at the best time that suits you and as I stated above, it can cover child schooling costs as has worked for several people I know.
    Living MY dream.
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    VTech wrote:
    Of course I "knew" someone would come on and argue the point with me but to put it quite simply, I am correct in what I say.

Index of world's top 100 wines that are heavily traded - including a dozen or so Lafite vintages - goes up very steeply after the crash in 2008 (as money comes out of the stock market and into other assets like wine). Peaks in March 2011 and has fallen 20+% since then. No idea how much further down it has to go, but I'd guess we'll see the prices of the last few years as an aberration, although that could be wrong as a lot of new money has come into wine from China etc.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Many Years ago I worked for a couple of major breweries, the tw@t I worked for threatened that we had to all sit the Wines & Spirits Education Trust Certificates, can't remember which level but the 2nd one was for a whole week and if we didn't get an "A" we lost our jobs! :evil:

I have forgotten most of what I learned now, but very loosely found that I preferred French & Italian wines much more than "New World" Wines.

We were taught by a brilliant tutor that ran wine tasting days in Castles and you stayed in there for the weekend. I'd love to do something like that again with my my wife, any ideas where I could find such courses/tastings?
  • VTech
    I'm not sure but there are lots in the UK, mainly London way from last looking.
    I spent a week in napa last year with the wife and we had a great time. All the vineyards welcome you with open arms.
    It's a pity you can't bring back cases of the stuff.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    35928471.jpg

Dont be hater matey, if you spent the same amount of time investing in yours/families future you may also learn to spell.
    Living MY dream.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I need a butler to correct my typo's damn-it.
  • VTech
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    I need a butler to correct my typo's damn-it.

More time wasted :)
    I was sure me and you were going to be great friends, I feel upset now.
    Living MY dream.
  • EKIMIKE
    VTech wrote:
    Dont be hater matey, if you spent the same amount of time investing in yours/families future you may also learn to spell.

Nice punctuation omission irony. :lol: [/sarcasm]
  • VTech
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Nice punctuation omission irony. :lol: [/sarcasm]

My personal investment was in cars, wine and now bikes, school was for girls in my day :)
    Living MY dream.
  • EKIMIKE
    I'm genuinely baffled. You're defending yourself against your own assertions now.

If we're taking turns to dish out condescending life advice I guess i'd have to settle for:

1) Don't take yourself so seriously on the internet.
    2) Think and talk a little less about money and material objects - it doesn't come across well (in my opinion).
  • VTech
    I didnt, I started the topic asking if anyone was interested in wine, I didnt turn the conversation.
    I could have a conversation about mud and I reckon you would do the same thing and somehow get to a money aspect, dont be a hater, its bad for the soul.
    Living MY dream.
  • EKIMIKE
    VTech wrote:
    I started the topic asking if anyone was interested in wine[...]

And then it turned into a conversation about money - specifically wine investments. Just sayin'.
  • VTech
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    VTech wrote:

And then it turned into a conversation about money - specifically wine investments. Just sayin'.

Investing in wine isnt an issue, you following me so much is, as i said before, your starting to freak me out. It isnt big and it isnt clever.
    Living MY dream.
  • EKIMIKE
    :roll: Get over yourself. :lol:
  • Yellow Peril
    VTech wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Investing in wine isnt an issue, you following me so much is, as i said before, your starting to freak me out. It isnt big and it isnt clever.

Dude if there was a materialism section on this forum you would probably be Le Patron.
    @JaunePeril

• VTech
    I was well into a rant but why bother ?
    I just find it so odd how the same couple of tw@ts follow me onto almost all of my threads and lemmings follow them like school bullies. and before its mentioned, im not upset about it, I dont want pity, I just feel so sad for the lack of mind within so many of you.
    Living MY dream.
  • Yellow Peril
    VTech wrote:
    I was well into a rant but why bother ?
    I just find it so odd how the same couple of tw@ts follow me onto almost all of my threads and lemmings follow them like school bullies. and before its mentioned, im not upset about it, I dont want pity, I just feel so sad for the lack of mind within so many of you.

I don't think that's actually true is it? My comment is based upon an observation of a few of your posts so I admit it might be a gross exaggeration and for that VTech I apologise.
    @JaunePeril