Any Oenophile's here ?

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    VTech wrote:
    ive just had barbecued kangaroo, it was awful so that will not be on the menu.

what no barbequed swan?.. i'm out too
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • now a genuine question, probably for vtech, i want to get my nephew an investment type present for his first birthday, would i be able to get anything decent, wine investment wise, in the region of GBP 500, or is that too low a figure.

thanks
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    now a genuine question, probably for vtech, i want to get my nephew an investment type present for his first birthday, would i be able to get anything decent, wine investment wise, in the region of GBP 500, or is that too low a figure.

thanks

If your being serious and can put aside much of the drivel above there are ways to return much more than you would in a bank or by buying gold. If you PM me I can list a couple of wines that are in that region that should x4 - x8 in the next few years, also, it depends on your nephews age, if the age is 1,2,3 etc you have more time and as such a different variety would be an option as to having only a few years to turn a profit.
    Living MY dream.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    nathancom wrote:
    image_zpsdd542753.jpg

The guy who started this thread is an absolute prat. He gets called out for his lack of knowledge of wine investment and then slowly tries to change his tune to suggest he was saying the same thing as his knowledgeable detractors all along. He seems to think his cr@p smells better than most people and that he is some great success because he has a higher than average income. Who cares, he still has no class to go along with that money unfortunately.

Wind your neck in pal, most of us are not interested in your patronising self importance. And keep your 'advice' to yourself unless someone asks for it.

harsh
  • genuine question! pm'd.
  • genuine question! pm'd.

Interesting
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    genuine question! pm'd.

Interesting

More than interesting - gratifying.

Vtech gets his share of stick on here, I'm sure some of it deliberately brought on himself through devilment. But he takes it in good humour. If he can genuinely help someone by sharing his expertise, good on yer! That's what a forum should be about. Banter, taking the pi$$ and yes, arguing, but being able to share your knowledge and experience without taking things too seriously.
    Now I've said that, he will go and turn Mantis' £500 into 50 quid! :lol:
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    In other news. If you're into decent quality wines for drinking, Waitrose fine wines selection has 25% off everything at the mo.
  • still no investment advise :cry::(:cry:
  • ballysmate
    still no investment advise :cry::(:cry:

Sit down and open a bottle of wine. :wink:
  • i actually dont like wine, bar a girly rose or sauvignon blanc. had a couple of 80 quid bottles (i wasnt paying for the wine) with dinner at a hawksmoor on thursday night, and it tasted like sh*t. it probably didnt help that i was a tad p*ss*d on lager and jaegerbombs already, but even in that state i didnt like it. most of it ended up over the table cloth and my shirt cuff.

i cant see the point in spending that much on something that you are ultimately drinking for the inhebriating effect. each to their own though.
  • ballysmate
    3 for a tenner at Asda is the area of the market I tend to aim for.
  • i had 80 quid red wine of some sort. blah. think what better things that money could have gone on! i could have had soem carbon bottle cages for less than that!
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    i actually dont like wine, bar a girly rose or sauvignon blanc. had a couple of 80 quid bottles (i wasnt paying for the wine) with dinner at a hawksmoor on thursday night, and it tasted like sh*t. it probably didnt help that i was a tad p*ss*d on lager and jaegerbombs already, but even in that state i didnt like it. most of it ended up over the table cloth and my shirt cuff.

Good skills. :D
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Talking of oenophiles, where is Vtech? He hasn't posted in days. I hope he hasn't fallen off his turbo.
  • ballysmate
    Talking of oenophiles, where is Vtech? He hasn't posted in days. I hope he hasn't fallen off his turbo.

Perhaps he has cracked a few bottles open and is partying like a good 'un.
  • ballysmate

Is there no-one else with business acumen who could help Mantis?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    i cant see the point in spending that much on something that you are ultimately drinking for the inhebriating effect. each to their own though.
    That is entirely the point of Jaegerbombs.
    It is most certainly not the point of drinking fine wines. They are to be savoured and enjoyed. With copious amounts of other drinks to follow. :wink:
    PS:- £80 in a restaurant is probably £20 in a shop. Probably a decent wine but not fine wine.

Same applies to malt whiskys. After 4 decent measures, you may as well drink Grouse.

If it's not for you, it's not for you.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    Ballysmate wrote:

Don't invest in something you don't understand based on the advice of someone you don't know?
  • daviesee wrote:
    That is entirely the point of Jaegerbombs.
    It is most certainly not the point of drinking fine wines. They are to be savoured and enjoyed. With copious amounts of other drinks to follow. :wink:
    PS:- £80 in a restaurant is probably £20 in a shop. Probably a decent wine but not fine wine.

Same applies to malt whiskys. After 4 decent measures, you may as well drink Grouse.

If it's not for you, it's not for you.

did i say it was fine wine??

what do u know anyway ur probably wasted on buckie, or tennants or mcewans.... :shock: :twisted: :lol: :P
  • Jamie2007
    Jamie2007 Posts: 31
    Mr Mantis, you have PM regarding wine buying.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Ballysmate wrote:

I could tell him, as a writer, that he is looking for advice, not advise
  • when posting from during a conf call at night im not that bovvered about spelling and syntax. Sorry.... :roll:
  • ballysmate

Any update Mantis?
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Have only read a fraction of this thread, but is there actually anything on it about wine, the pleasures of drinking it and what it tastes like!?! Surely a classic case of how a focus on financial and material concerns corrupts the soul and the life spirit..

I'm a beer person myself. I can't see my Rochefort 8 or West Coast IPAs acquiring much value, and in any case they are far too nice to leave sitting on the shelf.

If I was going to be a something-o-phile and invest in things I loved, I would probably choose something that can be appreciated while is is owned (as opposed to lost as soon as it is appreciated), such as art, furniture or antiquities.
  • VTech
    There is plenty of art in Wine, Picasso and Dali grace many a bottle of mouton and bottles can be incredibly beautiful.

At is in the eye of the beholder, walk round a decent wine store and marvel at them for a while, you will be surprised.
    Living MY dream.
  • neeb
    VTech wrote:
    There is plenty of art in Wine, Picasso and Dali grace many a bottle of mouton and bottles can be incredibly beautiful.

At is in the eye of the beholder, walk round a decent wine store and marvel at them for a while, you will be surprised.
    But the real art in wine is obviously in the contents, and what they taste like... What you are suggesting is akin to going to the Louvre or the Hermitage and admiring the picture frames without looking at the paintings..
  • apologies for lack of response to the various PM's (vtech, jamie etc) i have been distracted by other things and the need to do this has now passed (it was to be a gift). so thanks to those who sent me advise anyway. i may revistit the situation in the mid future.
  • VTech
    neeb wrote:
    VTech wrote:

But the real art in wine is obviously in the contents, and what they taste like... What you are suggesting is akin to going to the Louvre or the Hermitage and admiring the picture frames without looking at the paintings..

You could say the same about many things, people who collect old cars, planes etc etc.
    You dont need to use something to admire it. If that were the case almost all of the worlds finest cellars would be null and void.
    Living MY dream.
  • neeb
    VTech wrote:
    You could say the same about many things, people who collect old cars, planes etc etc.
    You dont need to use something to admire it. If that were the case almost all of the worlds finest cellars would be null and void.
    I think the point here is that the main thing about wine that is admirable is its taste - that's what it's for. Otherwise why not just collect empty bottles or labels? That would be a perfectly decent hobby if you admired those aspects of wine production. With an old car, a large part of what gives it value is its aesthetics (you don't collect old cars for their speed or fuel efficiency), and you can also admire the design and function of its engine without using it. It's difficult to see how you can meaningfully admire a wine without tasting it - the aspects of its production and chemical composition which contribute to its taste are too abstractly related. Also, even most car collectors would probably feel that they wanted to drive their cars now and again to justify owning them and to fully appreciate them..

On a slight tangent, I actually have a bit of a problem understanding people who collect functional things without using them. I have a small collection of 1970s high-end vintage Seiko watches. They are fascinating for their unique and varied in-house movements and their aesthetics that combine 70s design with subtle influences of traditional Japanese aesthetics. However, I have had them all fully serviced by a watchmaker (at a cost almost equal to their relatively modest value) and wear them on a daily basis - it doesn't make sense to me to have a collection of things designed to perform a particular function sitting in a drawer being effectively "dead".