Has anyone got the NEW 2013 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX yet?

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    da123 wrote:
    Low-fi wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    People on here are talking like Canyon are the first company to make a sub 1kg frame.

Canyon are 'pushing the boundaries' that many other companies pushed a long, long time ago.

It is now hard to buy a top level bike that has a frame the weighs more than 900g.

The frame is only 15-20% of the total bike weight. The weight saving is in the groupset, wheels and accessories. It isn't magic.

Very true. But it's the first time Canyon have done it, so they'll probably still be learning things.

I don't think this is a fair comment. The frame weight for the canyon appears to be a genuine sub 800g. Very few other manufacturers have managed this, no matter what they've claimed, and particularly at this price point. Some early versions of the Scott addict were in that ballpark, but Scott actually appeared to add a bit of weight presumably for stiffness and durability reasons, and the addict was not as stiff as the canyon and wasn't anywhere near as comfortable. The stock fascenario .7 is slightly heavier than the canyon and 3x as expensive. Wilier zero 7, cervelo r5 et all are all a lot more money as well.

It's approx 10% lighter than anyone else is making full race frames at. R5s, Scotts, my SLR, Felt 9s are all 8XX grammes. 10% is a huge amount of material missing. When I was looking to buy I thought the seat tube looked to have too much missing low down and this tube is critical in BB angular stiffness to resist rotation from pedal pressure forces (not something you would feel but something critical to power transfer). That is only by my eye but it looked wrong. I have no stress test figures to back that up, only Canyon do, but I suspect it is the lack of material in the seat tube and the top tube, both of which are in compression, that makes it feel 'comfortable' to ride.

There are quite a few sub 6kg bikes out there now, all with Red/DA, Zipps/ENVEs etc. The Canyon is about the cheapest of all of them. It is a good bike and a high spec for the money but I personally needed it to have some 'form' before I could commit, especially without an LBS network.
    da123 wrote:
    Assuming the quality and durability is adequate, a sub 800g frame with great comfort and great stiffness at the canyon's price point is 'pushing the boundaries'.

It's a big assume and one on which Canyon are clearly having to work harder than they hoped, in order to deliver. I hope they succeed.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Low-fi
    Low-fi Posts: 98
    hi from italy. ordered ultimate cf slx 9.0 in january havent received anything yet. on the italian forum bdc forum two guys have already received the one with electronic ultegra but the bad news is that both bike had a little crack on the carbon frame near the seatpost. http://foto.bdc-forum.it/viewphoto.php? ... from=58145 (think you have to join to see the pic...). both bikes have the same crack in the same place: never heard before...

Fascinating. It's hard to tell from the picture whether it's a crack or a blemish – can you keep us updated from that forum?

What are the links to the original threads on that forum? Thank you!
  • Returning to the original post... my bike was scheduled for delivery wk 18. I just called Canyon and they advised me that it is now scheduled for delivery wk 20.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    the 2012 SLX SL in the outlet section of the Canyon website is looking more and more tempting!
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    Just had an email from Canyon. I am taking this one as gospel....

"Hi

Many thanks for your phone call. Appologies for not getting back to you straight away, we are a small office and often get inundated with calls and messages.

I have looked up your order on our system and I can tell you that your bike will be shipped the week of 27.05.13.

It could ship on any day during the week in question, and once its been handed off to UPS they typically take 5-8 days to deliver to the UK."

I hope that they now honor this date as I cant be waiting any longer. Over a month longer than expected - Enough is enough. :x
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • claudiocastelli
    claudiocastelli Posts: 4
    edited April 2013
    Low-fi wrote:
    hi from italy. ordered ultimate cf slx 9.0 in january havent received anything yet. on the italian forum bdc forum two guys have already received the one with electronic ultegra but the bad news is that both bike had a little crack on the carbon frame near the seatpost. http://foto.bdc-forum.it/viewphoto.php? ... from=58145 (think you have to join to see the pic...). both bikes have the same crack in the same place: never heard before...

Fascinating. It's hard to tell from the picture whether it's a crack or a blemish – can you keep us updated from that forum?

http://www.bdc-forum.it/showthread.php? ... ost4177740 from page 90 on. we are really upset with canyon for a simple reason: no comunication about the delay exept an e-mail one week ago and now two bikes two cracks.
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    From the photo, it could be just a blemish but, where it is located, is right on a weak/vulnerable spot which could indeed be a crack :shock:
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • Low-fi
    Low-fi wrote:

http://www.bdc-forum.it/showthread.php? ... ost4177740 from page 90 on. we are really upset with canyon for a simple reason: no comunication with customers exept an e-mail one week ago

Thank you – keep us updated if you don't mind!
  • Coudy
    Coudy Posts: 16
    My bike was scheduled for delivery week 17 (ordered 12/2012, CF SLX 8.0). Answer from Canyon CZ & SK, delayed for 2-3 weeks, but no official date of delivery. :roll:
  • cyprids
    cyprids Posts: 21
    My bike was the CF SLX 8.0 ES and scheduled for delivery week 11, then week 16 and now Canyon have informed me that it is scheduled for week 26 and that is not even a offical date of delivery.
    So I simply cancelled my order and will wait until the CF SLX becomes an Express bike...
  • da123
    da123 Posts: 27

It doesn't look like a crack, but I'm no carbon expert. Could someone post this up on the road forum of weight weenies to gather some views? I know there's a number of guys in the carbon industry on there who could offer something more than amateur speculation. I would do it myself, but am on holiday and can't seem to post a new weight weenies topic from my tablet for some unknown reason...
  • Low-fi
    da123 wrote:

It doesn't look like a crack, but I'm no carbon expert. Could someone post this up on the road forum of weight weenies to gather some views? I know there's a number of guys in the carbon industry on there who could offer something more than amateur speculation. I would do it myself, but am on holiday and can't seem to post a new weight weenies topic from my tablet for some unknown reason...

It doesn't look like a crack to me, either. More like where the collar has bitten into the seat post.
  • Agreed, nowt to worry about.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Coudy
    Coudy Posts: 16
    From other pictures of our italian friend it seems, that the collar is not touching this "cracked" area...
  • Canyon tweeted yesterday about their test ride day. I responded commenting that I was tempted by the Ultimate CF SLX frameset but that the delays in delivery where putting me off. Their response was that they 'did' have delays, but the delivery weeks currently shown on the website were now accurate!

Mind you, I was fortunate enough to be able to order a new car a couple of years ago and I had to wait 200 days for it to be manufactured and shipped to the dealer... and it wasn't particularly exotic. Even that slipped back by six weeks at one point, but it was worth it in the end.
    Still trying to convince the missus of the n+1 rule...!
  • another one delivered in italy. this one with record 11 velocità. delivery of mine (model 9.0) has been postponed from week 15 to week 20, but could be even later: in this moment they don't know for sure the right date of delivery...

http://foto.bdc-forum.it/
  • watto77
    watto77 Posts: 12
    I ordered an Ultimate CF SLX 7.0 back in January and was given a delivery estimate of CW18. That was this week and still no sign of the bike. UK Customer Services sent me an apologetic email explaining that they were having some sort of quality control issue with the first batch of 2013 frames and were therefore having to subject the second run to additional QC checks. They are unable/unwilling to tell me what the problem actually was and despite several emails cannot even give me a rough window for delivery. I don’t know if my bike is going to be another two weeks or another two months!

The wait is killing me :(

If it were not for the excellent reviews and the value for money I would have walked away and gone to a 'bigger' brand by now – is this perhaps a flaw with the Canyon business model, or are they becoming a victim of their own success?
  • cyprids
    They have clearly not understood the importance of communication to the customer. With very little effort they should have informed all customer actively via email or via the homepage about the progress, instead of the customers feel that they need to contact canyon for updates...they lost me there...
  • cyprids wrote:
    They have clearly not understood the importance of communication to the customer. With very little effort they should have informed all customer actively via email or via the homepage about the progress, instead of the customers feel that they need to contact canyon for updates...they lost me there...

What did you buy instead?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cyprids
    Nothing...I problably wait until next season and see which options are available with the new Ultregra 6800 series...I already bought a duraace 9000 12-27 cassette for the alps to go on my cancelled CF SLX. It will fit nicely with Ultegra 6800...
    I'm just sad that it has come so far because I think that the CF SLX is the right bike for me but I can not live with the current inconsistent customer service of Canyon.
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    Nowt wrong with Paolini's SLX anyway, pounded away from the front of the group in yesterday's stage. Looked like he stole a childs bike though, think I read somewhere he rides an XS frame.
  • Skerryman wrote:
    Nowt wrong with Paolini's SLX anyway, pounded away from the front of the group in yesterday's stage. Looked like he stole a childs bike though, think I read somewhere he rides an XS frame.
    http://cdn4.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn ... ll_600.jpg
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman wrote:

Is that not the old model SLX, pretty sure it was this years one he was riding yesterday.
  • Low-fi
    Skerryman wrote:
    Skerryman wrote:

Is that not the old model SLX, pretty sure it was this years one he was riding yesterday.

Looks like the old one, you can see the brake cable under the top tube.
  • look565wong
    look565wong Posts: 301
    Skerryman,

I'm pretty certain too that Paolini was on the new CF SLX when he won yesterday's Giro stage!

Here's a Youtube link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2zoO2IDob8

Yes, it does look like a kiddies bike......sorry! :roll:

Cheers
  • Skerryman
    Low-fi wrote:
    Skerryman wrote:
    Skerryman wrote:

Was thinking I saw that but couldn't be sure, wonder is that pic from this season. Bike he rode yesterday was the new one though, had new paint scheme etc.
  • Low-fi
    Skerryman wrote:
    Low-fi wrote:
    Skerryman wrote:
    Skerryman wrote:

Was thinking I saw that but couldn't be sure, wonder is that pic from this season. Bike he rode yesterday was the new one though, had new paint scheme etc.

Must be an old pic. It did look like a new frame yesterday.
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman,

I'm pretty certain too that Paolini was on the new CF SLX when he won yesterday's Giro stage!

Here's a Youtube link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2zoO2IDob8

Yes, it does look like a kiddies bike......sorry! :roll:

Cheers

He's 5' 9", not that small. Not sure where I read it but I think it said it was XS frame, crazy pro's with their novelty sized midget bikes. I'm 5' 11" myself and ordered a medium, hope it works out OK.

Edit: Actually he's just over 5' 8" according to Katusha site.
  • look565wong
    look565wong Posts: 301
    Skerryman,

If it makes you feel better regarding the fit, then I'm 5'7" I have the size Small and fits me well.
    So, I would imagine the size medium would be good for you!

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Chung
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman,

If it makes you feel better regarding the fit, then I'm 5'7" I have the size Small and fits me well.
    So, I would imagine the size medium would be good for you!

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Chung

Cheers dude, that is reassuring. Canyon has also insisted (a couple of times) that the M is right for my dimensions. How is the bike going for you so far, really looking forward to getting mine now?

Paolini got a fancy pink one for today's stage
    http://on.fb.me/13r7dKx