Has anyone got the NEW 2013 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX yet?

look565wong
look565wong Posts: 301
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
HI there,

I just wondered if anyone has taken delivery of the new Canyon Ultimate CF SLX yet? :shock:

At the moment it seems like its as rare as the Nessie Monster, no doubt when summer comes round it'll be like bloody Tesco - one in every other street!

I've ordered mine back in December & the quote delivery date was week 11 (which I hope its the case - fingers crossed)
Has anyone ordered one earlier with a delivery date thats sooner?

I would love to see one posted up here if there's any out there!

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Comments

• chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    Would love to see one posted up here myself. I only ordered mine (small 53) on 2/1/13 and that was a week 14 delivery. I have since contacted canyon about my size and they came back with I need a medium (56) :o . Now I have to wait till bloody week 18 :evil: Still, hopefully the weather will be a bit dryer by then :roll:

Someone must have one?

Steve
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • Hi Chigman,

Which model did you go for? I went for the Ui2 7.0 :mrgreen:

I've ordered a Small & I'm 170cm, just out of interest if you don't mind - can I ask how tall are you?
    Have you ordered from Canyon before?

Week 18, just in time for Summer then! 8)

Oh, the wait is just killing me!
  • Week 14 for me. SLX 9.0
    The price has gone up £250 from when I ordered in Nov :shock:
    I'm 179cm and went for a medium
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Hi Charlie Potatoes,

Yes, the particular model I ordered has gone up by £180 too! I thought petrol prices were bad! :shock:

Thanks for sharing your stats. Will you be running 110mm stem?

Regards
  • Thanks for sharing your stats. Will you be running 110mm stem?

AFAIK I will be getting a 100mm stem as I have ordered a compact but I am booked in for a bike fit with Adrian Timmis so I might be changing it. In my mind 100mm seems too short but time will tell. :)

And yes... the wait is killing me too :D
  • chigman
    Hi Chigman,

Which model did you go for? I went for the Ui2 7.0 :mrgreen:

I've ordered a Small & I'm 170cm, just out of interest if you don't mind - can I ask how tall are you?
    Have you ordered from Canyon before?

Week 18, just in time for Summer then! 8)

Oh, the wait is just killing me!

Hiya

I have gone for the cf slx 7.0. I dont need Dura ace and I ummed and arrred about Di2 but thought it's just another thing to go wrong, so I swerved that.

My stats are.. Height 177cm, Inseam 82cm and I think my reach is 62cm. With the pps system, an inseam of 82cm suggested a small frame but, if you play around with it, an 83cm inseam will give you a size medium, so I am right in-between if you like. That system by the way is all based on the inseam measurement IMO. Have a muck about with it yourself and see what you think.

It is a long wait mate. :x

Steve
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Sterling has plummeted against the euro the last few weeks (about 1.16/£ today). They price in euros then translate daily.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Coudy
    Coudy Posts: 16
    Earliest delivery date for all models was from the beginning CW11. I have ordered my SLX 8.0 (2XL) in December. Week ago my delivery date was postponed from CW11 to CW14. :?
  • chigman
    Coudy wrote:
    Earliest delivery date for all models was from the beginning CW11. I have ordered my SLX 8.0 (2XL) in December. Week ago my delivery date was postponed from CW11 to CW14. :?

Oh mate what a bummer :shock: I am week 18, I just hope and pray they dont extend my shipping date any further. :roll:

Come to think of it how does their system work? I, like I said above have a week 18 time slot for a medium slx 7.0. On the site now and for the same bike, it's shows week 11. So if someone orders that bike now they will get week 11 on their paperwork, but I still have to wait for week 18. Dont make any sense to me :?

Steve
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • Thanks Steve for sharing your stats!
    The delivery date you've been quoted certainly sounds strange. Have you contacted Canyon to clarify the situation? The few times I've been in touch with them have been quite helpful, so hopefully they can help. I hope you get you're sooner rather than later!

The 7.0 is still a great buy! Did you go for the White? i went stealthy.
    I think for all of us, we can agreed to lust on the same thing - and that's the frame! I just hope it's as good as the review says it is.
    For me, I opted for Ui2 because I just wanted to try something new & it's a present from me lovely good wife! :-)
    I've also tried the Ui2 in my local bike shop & it feels soooooooo sweet! Ideally, I would want Campag EPS, but it's just crazy money!

Hope you get your dates sorted out!

Cheers
  • chigman
    Thanks Steve for sharing your stats!
    The delivery date you've been quoted certainly sounds strange. Have you contacted Canyon to clarify the situation? The few times I've been in touch with them have been quite helpful, so hopefully they can help. I hope you get you're sooner rather than later!

The 7.0 is still a great buy! Did you go for the White? i went stealthy.
    I think for all of us, we can agreed to lust on the same thing - and that's the frame! I just hope it's as good as the review says it is.
    For me, I opted for Ui2 because I just wanted to try something new & it's a present from me lovely good wife! :-)
    I've also tried the Ui2 in my local bike shop & it feels soooooooo sweet! Ideally, I would want Campag EPS, but it's just crazy money!

Hope you get your dates sorted out!

Cheers

Cheers mate.

I have gone for the black & white one yes. I dont like the white saddle or bar tape so will change them in time.

Yes indeed, it's all about the frame for me and ultegra will do me fine. I am not a racer, just recreational. :D

If you click on availability on the canyon site and read the blurb at the bottom of the page this is what it reads..

"This is an estimated and not binding delivery date if you place your order today. Please note that our stock is changing by the minute. Please also note that a delivery to an address outside Germany takes on average up to 8 days.

These delivery dates apply only to forthcoming orders. Orders which are already being processed are not affected by changes to these dates."

Steve
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Will you all please Stop buying Canyons !! I bought mine about 2 years ago and i still haven't seen another one in the flesh !! lol
    To give you some idea on prices...I got my Ultimate CF Pro frame n forks, seatpost and stem when the TDF was on and they were doing discounts depending on how Omega Pharma Lotto was doing in the tour. They did well OPL, i paid about £550 for mine inc postage iirc. Exchange rate was better then as well. Ohh, i got it in about 3 weeks from point of order.
    Its been and still is a fantastic bike. I'd only change it for a SLX.

It will be worth the wait boys...believe you me !!

Rich.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • I'm Considering ordering the CF SLX 7.0 Di2 too and it seems I'm similar dimensions to Chigman, in that I'm 177cm tall and an inseem of 82.5cm. The Canyon configurator shows me as needing a Small unless I change my inseem to 83cm. I seem to have quite a long reach at 68cm so may plump for the Medium.

On another note, from the Canyon website its not that clear on where the Di2 Battery is stored, can any one share any light on this? Is it internal? I can't tell from the photos...

Stan
  • stan1000 wrote:
    On another note, from the Canyon website its not that clear on where the Di2 Battery is stored, can any one share any light on this? Is it internal? I can't tell from the photos...

Stan

A quick google and I found this from Canyon on twitter "The Di2 battery on the new Ultimate CF SLX is inside the frame. There is a little port under the bottom bracket to change it."
  • Glad someone started this thread. Recently got my first real job after a long time in college and have promised myself a fancy new bike before the Summer hits as a treat/ incentive to train my a$$ off in the meantime so I can justify the purchase.
    Ultimate CF SLX ticks all the box's and I have eyes for nothing else for some time now. Hoping to order the 8.0, was originally looking at the black white one but veering towards the more stealthy looking black now.
    Won't have funds for it for a while yet, hoping by the time I do it will be close to the currently claimed delivery dates and they will have plenty stock by then and won't have a huge wait (that is of course presuming they don't hit any stock shortages and push the dates back). Very eager to see any pictures of these in the wild once they start making delivery of the first orders.
  • Stan1000,

I just wondered if what you found is correct, don't get me wrong, I hope you're right. It makes for a cleaner look!
    But as far as I know, the seat-tube hidden battery is a new design which I think its only exclusive to the 2013 Dura-Ace Di2. Here's what I got as a reply from Canyon regarding the location of the battery mount on the Ui2:

"Many thanks for your e-mail.

The battery is mounted under the left hand chain stay on our complete bikes. But we do not offer a Di2 compatible frame set at this time.

Sincerely,

Canyon UK"

Like I said Stan1000, I hope your information is much more up to date than my reply which was back in December! :shock:

RDB66
    I understand your preference for keeping Canyon "exclusive", but you just cannae hold a good bike (brand) down. :D
    Sightings of Canyons are indeed quite rare (for me any way) I'm surprise they are not a common sight since the forum posts seem to suggest they should be quite a few out on our roads.
    Speaking of which, I was driving a few weeks back on a nice crisp week day in the city of Glasgow, when I caught sight of a chap in full gear cycling coming towards me on the opposite side of the road. Just as he got near I could see he was on a white Canyon CF, I wanted to stop the car & call the guy to stop so I can take a look & chat to him but there were cars behind me & no place to park....opportunity missed! :(

Anyway, I just hope my Week 11 is as they promise, week 6 now!
    Its times like these where your views of stereotypical German efficiency comes true! :mrgreen:

Cheers
  • Stan1000,

I just wondered if what you found is correct, don't get me wrong, I hope you're right. It makes for a cleaner look!
    But as far as I know, the seat-tube hidden battery is a new design which I think its only exclusive to the 2013 Dura-Ace Di2. Here's what I got as a reply from Canyon regarding the location of the battery mount on the Ui2:

Hi Look565wong
    How strange, I got the info straight from the Canyon twitter feed (tweet dates back to October though), you can see the tweet here: https://twitter.com/Pure_Cycling/status ... 8833302529
    I will tweet them myself and see if I can get a response.

Stan
  • Hi Stan,

Please let us know what responds you get as I'll be very interested to find out one way or the other, Thanks!

Cheers

Chung
  • Chung

They have indicated that its in the downtube https://twitter.com/Pure_Cycling/status ... 8479128576

Stan
  • I looked at it, but the geometry on the Ultimate CF was better suited to me, so I bought that instead.

One thing to be aware of is that neither the Ultimate CF or SLX have any form of chain suck protection on the drive-side chainstay behind the chain rings. By comparison, if you look at the Aeroad it has a metal plate bonded to the chainstay, like a number of other manufacturers do.

Now I know that chain suck on a road bike is rare, but I have had it happen. I've added my own, in the form of a patch of Lizard Skins Carbon Leather. I bought their chain stay protection pack and cut it to fit. It's a piece of real leather about 1mm thick, embossed with a CF weave. It's really discrete, to the point that you'd have to get right down by the chainrings to see it.

I may be worrying unnecessarily, but for the cost of about £7 I feel a lot more confident that my lovely new frame won't get ripped up by a wayward chain. The leather should be plenty tough enough to take the initial hit in the event it does happen.
  • Stan,

Thanks for your info. That's great news!
    I was contemplating on ways of making the battery a bit more element & weather proof like cutting a section of MTB inner tube to cover the battery & mount intersection. Now there's no need! Your dancer!

When is the delivery time for your Canyon?

Mikenetic,
    Thanks for your great tip & I couldn't agree more about the chain problem since its happened to me once too. I've ordered myself a Rotor Chain Catcher ready to put on my SLX as soon as it gets here. That should do the trick also!

Have you posted your bike on the forum? Any chance you can share your ride with us?

Cheers
  • I haven't, but I'll see if I can pop a couple of pictures up.

I got a Rotor Chain Catcher too - that was very easy to fit, certainly on the CF there are no interference problems with the seat tube.

Oh, and the Mavic Ksyrium wheels are interesting, they have adjustable preload on the bearings. Now the manual says "do not adjust," but if you have access to the dealer manuals then they say the preload is set at the factory for someone who does the QR skewers very tight. If you don't, there may be a bit of play at the rim. It recommends the dealer takes that adjustment into consideration when supplying the bike.

Mine came with the adjustment tools (which also act as tyre levers and spoke keys) and it's a doddle to change the preload if you need to.
  • Coudy
    Coudy Posts: 16
    Canyon chain catcher, I have ordered this one.

http://www.canyon.com/shop/?category=P01&item=23491
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    [/quote] Come to think of it how does their system work? I, like I said above have a week 18 time slot for a medium slx 7.0. On the site now and for the same bike, it's shows week 11. So if someone orders that bike now they will get week 11 on their paperwork, but I still have to wait for week 18. Dont make any sense to me :?

Steve[/quote]

this the reply from canyon when i asked the same question.......
    Many thanks for your e-mail.

Our ordering system works on a first come first serve basis. Nobody who orders after you will get a bike before you.
    I would advise you keep hold of your current order and hang on. The bike is stunning and worth the wait.
    I thank you in advance for your patience.
    Sincerely,

Canyon UK
  • Hi Charlie Potatoes,

Yes, the particular model I ordered has gone up by £180 too! I thought petrol prices were bad! :shock:

Regards

What does " running 110mm stem" mean if you will excuse my ignorance ?
  • astrazen wrote:
    Hi Charlie Potatoes,

Regards

What does " running 110mm stem" mean if you will excuse my ignorance ?

Canyon normally offer a couple of different stem lengths for each size frame, so you can adjust how stretched you are on the bike. I'm pretty sure you can actually spec any length you want, for a small fee, and they used to offer a stem exchange program if you found the one you were using wasn't comfortable.
  • look565wong
    look565wong Posts: 301
    Chigman, Charlie Potatoes & Stan1000,

Guys, I just wondered if you had contact from Canyon recently regarding your CF SLX delivery date?
    The reason I ask it's because I got an email from Canyon yesterday telling me that my scheduled week 11 delivery date of my bike is being pushed back to week 15..............I'm going to hang myself!

Any input would be much appreciated!

Cheers
  • stan1000
    stan1000 Posts: 49
    Not heard anything from them yet, well let you know if I do. My estimated delivery date was week 19....
  • Chigman, Charlie Potatoes & Stan1000,

Guys, I just wondered if you had contact from Canyon recently regarding your CF SLX delivery date?
    The reason I ask it's because I got an email from Canyon yesterday telling me that my scheduled week 11 delivery date of my bike is being pushed back to week 15..............I'm going to hang myself!

Any input would be much appreciated!

Cheers

That's a bit short notice given that we are on week 10 :shock:
    I have not heard from them since I added some pedals to my order a couple of weeks ago. (fingers crossed).
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    I've been watching the delivery dates for a while now and last week the one I wanted jumped forward 4 weeks from week 22 to 26. Took the plunge and ordered it, hoping to have it by end of June, fingers crossed they can stick to that timeline.