Has anyone got the NEW 2013 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX yet?

Comments

• Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    Canyon announce their new ranges in October, nothing usually available until the following year though....as people are finding out....

Surely they're not completely redesigning a new SLX frame when they've only just started shipping this years. Was the last iteration of the SLX not around for a few years before they changed the design to the current one?
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    You'll have to throw it away after 15,000 km anyway according to Canyon.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Low-fi
    Low-fi Posts: 98
    You'll have to throw it away after 15,000 km anyway according to Canyon.

Really? Do explain...
  • da123
    da123 Posts: 27
    Crozza wrote:
    there's links to a couple of tour magazine reviews on the Canyon website, but nothing substantial yet

we are waiting for road.cc, but personally I'm hoping the forum members who have received theres will be chiming in soon *hint hint*

Taking this hint, here's my initial review. I'm comparing it against my current bikes being (1) a Boardman Pro Carbon with various upgrades including dura ace c24 wheels (weight approx 6.8kg); and (2) a Storck Fascenario 0.7 with a SRAM Red / THM clavicula groupset and a range of Schmolke / AX Lightness / EE Cycleworks stuff (weight approx 5.4kg).

Ride : It is smoother ride than either the Storck or the Boardman (much better than the latter). The seatpost, frame and fork all seem to do their stuff here. Pebble dash tarmac is almost a pleasure to ride on. Big hits are well damped as well. I was personally sceptical about all the 'comfort' innovations that have hit the bike market recently, but there is a noticeable difference here.

Handling / Cornering : It handles very well. Not as good as the Storck, which is sharper and more confidence inspiring, but much better than the Boardman. It is quite neutral and stable at speed. Direction changes are good but not outstanding I'd say. Handling is a personal thing of course, and some might find the Storck too sharp and this perfect. Headtube / handlebar stiffness is very good.

Acceleration / Power Delivery : Very good. It feels even lighter than it is if that makes sense. Power delivery / BB stiffness is good, although not as 'wow' as I was expecting (having heard so much about super stiff Canyons). I suspect this is just because I'm comparing against the Storck, which is exceptional in this area, and also because the smooth ride perhaps gives the impression that it is softer than it actually is. It is much better than the Boardman in terms of power delivery.

Climbing : Brilliant climber. On a par with the Storck I'd say, although the wheels (which are not stock) must have an effect here being sub 1kg. As noted above, it just feels super light, as if it is floating up the climbs. The stiffness of the front end is a big help here, out of the saddle climbing feels great.

Finish : Finish on the frame is ok. It is not perfect though, and there are quite a few areas which look either like scratches (they aren't, it is just the carbon finish) or just solid patches of carbon. The Storck is much better in this area, but it is a considerably more expensive frame and fork. The Boardman is painted, so difficult to compare.

Groupset / Equipment : All performs flawlessly. I ride on SRAM already, so knew what to expect. It came perfectly set up, apart from the chain was several links too long (easily sorted).

Overall, I'd say this must be as good as you can get for the money. I think that my Storck is a 'better' bike, but not by much and it is at least twice as expensive. It is not in remotely the same ball park as the Boardman, and I actually really like my Boardman. It certainly has that 'ride me faster' vibe that really good bikes have in spades. I would say this because of course I've now got mine, but I think it is worth waiting for. The unknown (obviously) is the quality...
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    Good review and contrast to two other bikes, thanks.

Coming from a Boardman Pro Carbon also with DA-C24s myself (2010, not the silvery one) I'm looking forward to my SLX even more now.

As long as the QA checks aren't a serious as speculated, and it doesn't explode into a cloud of carbon splinters; it should be grand. :)
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    Nice first review that - very positive and inspiring :D Now just to get hold of one would be nice :evil:

Steve
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • da123
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    Good review and contrast to two other bikes, thanks.

Coming from a Boardman Pro Carbon also with DA-C24s myself (2010, not the silvery one) I'm looking forward to my SLX even more now.

As long as the QA checks aren't a serious as speculated, and it doesn't explode into a cloud of carbon splinters; it should be grand. :)

It will blow your Boardman away. That's not a criticism of the Boardman (like I say, I really like mine), but the Canyon is in a different league.

I think I remember seeing something saying the Canyon has a six year warranty on the frame, so you should be fine. We'll all be buying the 'next big thing' by then anyway!
  • look565wong
    look565wong Posts: 301
    A good & very positive review da123!

I got an email from Canyon yesterday saying my bike is in transit, and it SHOULD be with me tomorrow or Friday via UPS. :D

I'm heading to Majorca on Saturday, so I won't be able to ride it till after next week. :mrgreen:
    So, hopefully after I come back I can give my impression on how it is!

Good luck to those who are still waiting on one! I'm sure it's worth the wait.

Cheers
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I'll bet if the bike arrived tomorrow, we could rally round and get it ready for Sat! :)
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    da123 wrote:
    *lots of good stuff*

a very good, balanced review there da123, cheers

makes me want to get a Storck! I think the Fascenarios are just about the best in the world for power transfer, from what I have read, so no surprises there. what wheels do you have on it out of interest?

whatever happens, I'm sure the SLX will be better than my £400 Allez which has served me well this past 3 years!
  • da123
    Crozza wrote:
    da123 wrote:
    *lots of good stuff*

a very good, balanced review there da123, cheers

makes me want to get a Storck! I think the Fascenarios are just about the best in the world for power transfer, from what I have read, so no surprises there. what wheels do you have on it out of interest?

whatever happens, I'm sure the SLX will be better than my £400 Allez which has served me well this past 3 years!

The Storck is an amazing machine. The wheels are Zipp 303 rims on Tune Mig/Mag hubs with veloflex tubs. My plan was to sell the Storck (just the frame, fork and crank), because I've got into road racing recently and although it would be a brilliant race bike, I am just too nervous about crashing it. Now it comes to it though I'm finding it very difficult to let it go! Unfortunately I promised my wife when buying the Canyon that I would sell it to offset the cost, so unless I win the lottery it's going to be leaving me :(

I think it's safe to say that the SLX will be a huge improvement on your Allez...
  • Crozza
    just do what British cycling do - put your storck up for sale with a ridiculous price tag and no-one will want it!
  • Crozza wrote:

The Ultimate CF is a massive improvement over a £400 Allez. You might not even need to pedal when going from an Allez to the SLX version.
  • Crozza
    Crozza wrote:

The Ultimate CF is a massive improvement over a £400 Allez. You might not even need to pedal when going from an Allez to the SLX version.

yeah I have uhmed and ahed over whether I need the SLX, and was very tempted to get the same CF that you have.

after a couple of years break I am road racing again and in the past two weeks have found myself dropped by 10-15 seconds on the last climb of the day. it's not about the bike yadayadayada but I am hoping that going from my allez to an SLX will let me contest the finish!
  • da123
    da123 wrote:
    Crozza wrote:
    there's links to a couple of tour magazine reviews on the Canyon website, but nothing substantial yet

we are waiting for road.cc, but personally I'm hoping the forum members who have received theres will be chiming in soon *hint hint*

Taking this hint, here's my initial review. I'm comparing it against my current bikes being (1) a Boardman Pro Carbon with various upgrades including dura ace c24 wheels (weight approx 6.8kg); and (2) a Storck Fascenario 0.7 with a SRAM Red / THM clavicula groupset and a range of Schmolke / AX Lightness / EE Cycleworks stuff (weight approx 5.4kg).

Ride : It is smoother ride than either the Storck or the Boardman (much better than the latter). The seatpost, frame and fork all seem to do their stuff here. Pebble dash tarmac is almost a pleasure to ride on. Big hits are well damped as well. I was personally sceptical about all the 'comfort' innovations that have hit the bike market recently, but there is a noticeable difference here.

Handling / Cornering : It handles very well. Not as good as the Storck, which is sharper and more confidence inspiring, but much better than the Boardman. It is quite neutral and stable at speed. Direction changes are good but not outstanding I'd say. Handling is a personal thing of course, and some might find the Storck too sharp and this perfect. Headtube / handlebar stiffness is very good.

Acceleration / Power Delivery : Very good. It feels even lighter than it is if that makes sense. Power delivery / BB stiffness is good, although not as 'wow' as I was expecting (having heard so much about super stiff Canyons). I suspect this is just because I'm comparing against the Storck, which is exceptional in this area, and also because the smooth ride perhaps gives the impression that it is softer than it actually is. It is much better than the Boardman in terms of power delivery.

Climbing : Brilliant climber. On a par with the Storck I'd say, although the wheels (which are not stock) must have an effect here being sub 1kg. As noted above, it just feels super light, as if it is floating up the climbs. The stiffness of the front end is a big help here, out of the saddle climbing feels great.

Finish : Finish on the frame is ok. It is not perfect though, and there are quite a few areas which look either like scratches (they aren't, it is just the carbon finish) or just solid patches of carbon. The Storck is much better in this area, but it is a considerably more expensive frame and fork. The Boardman is painted, so difficult to compare.

Groupset / Equipment : All performs flawlessly. I ride on SRAM already, so knew what to expect. It came perfectly set up, apart from the chain was several links too long (easily sorted).

Overall, I'd say this must be as good as you can get for the money. I think that my Storck is a 'better' bike, but not by much and it is at least twice as expensive. It is not in remotely the same ball park as the Boardman, and I actually really like my Boardman. It certainly has that 'ride me faster' vibe that really good bikes have in spades. I would say this because of course I've now got mine, but I think it is worth waiting for. The unknown (obviously) is the quality...

I should add to this review that the bike does have pretty major toe overlap, as I discovered to my cost (and embarrassment) when track standing at a very busy junction on Tuesday... Thankfully it was only me that was injured, as I successfully sacrificed my own body to break the bike's fall.
  • Does anyone have the CF SLX Di2 yet? When I asked Canyon how the internal battery was mounted, this is what they said: 'The battery mount is internal also. It is a rather technical process so I'd suggest you either have your local bike shop do it.' :?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • look565wong
    look565wong Posts: 301
    Hi sloppyschleckonds,

I just got my CF SLX Ui2 today, yes the battery is mounted internally in the down tube just above the BB! In my Opinion It's a very neat design.
    I was initially told the battery was mounted under the left chain stay, but now it's internally mounted, even better then I suppose.

Have you ordered one too Sloppyschleckonds?

I'll try and take some photos when I come back next week to show more of the bike if anyone is interested!

Cheers

Chung
  • chigman
    Has anyone had the email from Canyon yet as promised ???? I aint yet, and if it hasn't arrived by late tomorrow, I'm on the blower. :evil:
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • stan1000
    stan1000 Posts: 49
    No email yet, last weeks email arrived on Friday 6pm ish for me, so hoping its no later.....
  • Low-fi
    chigman wrote:
    Has anyone had the email from Canyon yet as promised ???? I aint yet, and if it hasn't arrived by late tomorrow, I'm on the blower. :evil:

Yep, if they say they're going to do something by a certain date, it should be expected they will. Please update the thread if you get anything from them. I too will try calling.
  • RonnieC
    RonnieC Posts: 28
    I haven't heard anything from Canyon either since Friday's 6pm email.
    Out of interest, of all the people who got the email last week - what was your expected delivery week?
    When I ordered, the website said availability was Week 14 but the order confirmation stated Week 22.

Cheers
    Ronnie
  • Low-fi
    edited April 2013
    Week 18 here, so should (ha!) be shipping next week. Heard nothing since my initial order in January, apart from the email last week.
    Edit: medium framed slx 9.0 sl (sram)
  • chigman
    I was down for week 16 :roll: But thats a promise they cant now stick to. Then I had the 7-10 day delay warning which is fast coming to an end, so now dont know where I stand until the email arrives.
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • avababy24
    avababy24 Posts: 162
    Quick couple of questions, do you have to pay a deposit when ordering or do you pay when you know it's actually been despatched or is there a third option ?
    Would this delay and service have put you off ordering the bikes you have if you had known what you were in for ?
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    slightly ot but i ordered a cf 7.0 for the gf last friday and it was shipped today with a delivery date via ups next tuesday, so not all bikes delayed??
    i need more bikes
  • Skerryman
    chigman wrote:

What email is this??
  • Low-fi
    Skerryman wrote:
    chigman wrote:

What email is this??

In Canyon's email last Friday they say
    We regret that at this stage we cannot provide you a specific delivery date. We will however contact you again next week when we will be in a position to give you more reliable information on the delivery of your new bike.

...and so we're expecting more comms from them by tomorrow if they're to meet their deadline of 'this week'
  • chigman
    Skerryman wrote:
    chigman wrote:

What email is this??

This one skerryman.....

I just got this e-mail from Canyon:

"Thank you for choosing to order a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX.

Our aim in the production of the Ultimate CF SLX has been to produce a superbly engineered frameset designed for top level cycle sport. With the first orders having been successfully shipped for the new product, we discovered in the course of our standard Quality Assurance process that some products were not up to our high standards.

In order to ensure every single frameset meets these rigorous standards we have had to implement some additional quality checks. Our colleagues in the quality control department are now working around the clock to check every single frameset and give final approval. Every frameset that passes our quality control checks will be immediately passed on to our production facility for subsequent assembly and delivery to the customer.

We regret that at this stage we cannot provide you a specific delivery date. We will however contact you again next week when we will be in a position to give you more reliable information on the delivery of your new bike."

Best wishes,

The Canyon Team
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • chigman
    There - you have it twice so you dont miss it this time round :lol:
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • Skerryman
    Oh that email. Seems odd that they can't specify a delivery date. Has anyone thought to ask them what the quality issue was that's causing this holdup? Doubt you'd get a straight answer but perfectly understandable question to ask given that it's no small amount of money people are forking out for the bike. Havent had this email myself but I'm not due to get my bike til the end of next month.