Has anyone got the NEW 2013 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX yet?

Comments

• dagros
    dagros Posts: 6
    It is usual for them to email an invoice when they confirm your order. Might be worth checking for attachments on your original communications with them.

They have only attached Order Confirmation, General Terms and Conditions and so on.. No invoice. They say, when shipping to Denmark, they will send an invoice 10 days prior to shipping date.
  • dagros wrote:
    It is usual for them to email an invoice when they confirm your order. Might be worth checking for attachments on your original communications with them.

They have only attached Order Confirmation, General Terms and Conditions and so on.. No invoice. They say, when shipping to Denmark, they will send an invoice 10 days prior to shipping date.

What price and currency is on the order confirmation. If it is priced in Kr. then you will pay that amount I would have thought? I do not see that dealing with Krone will be any different to £ sterling ?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • dagros
    What price and currency is on the order confirmation. If it is priced in Kr. then you will pay that amount I would have thought? I do not see that dealing with Krone will be any different to £ sterling ?

My Order Confirmation says 35K DKK (Danish kroner). That is all OK. What I was wondering about is how they practically “have honoured the price for those lucky enough to have ordered when exchange rates were favourable“?

Prices on the bikes haven't changed as far as I know. Maybe I'm missing or misunderstanding something here.. :lol:
  • dagros wrote:

My Order Confirmation says 35K DKK (Danish kroner). That is all OK. What I was wondering about is how they practically “have honoured the price for those lucky enough to have ordered when exchange rates were favourable“?

Prices on the bikes haven't changed as far as I know. Maybe I'm missing or misunderstanding something here.. :lol:

I don't track the Kr/euro exchange rate but £ sterling has lost value in recent months. People in the UK who ordered last year are saving £200 to £300 against todays prices.
  • cyprids
    cyprids Posts: 21
    I don't track the Kr/euro exchange rate but £ sterling has lost value in recent months. People in the UK who ordered last year are saving £200 to £300 against todays prices.

Thats a lot of Money!...In denmark the prices have gone down with only 30£ since I ordered in dec., but they have not compensated for that in my invoice...
  • Low-fi
    Low-fi Posts: 98
    The price is fixed at the point you clicked buy, they don't readjust it, either up or down.
  • Low-fi wrote:
    The price is fixed at the point you clicked buy, they don't readjust it, either up or down.

Unless you ask?
  • dagros

So what you're saying is that Canyon have compensated for the £ sterling being weaker when you're bike was shipped (invoiced) compared with when you ordered the bike..?
  • dagros wrote:

So what you're saying is that Canyon have compensated for the £ sterling being weaker when you're bike was shipped (invoiced) compared with when you ordered the bike..?

On the UK version of the website a bike that was priced at £4000 in November 2012 is now priced at £4300 (approx)
    The people that ordered in November are paying £4000.
  • dagros
    On the UK version of the website a bike that was priced at £4000 in November 2012 is now priced at £4300 (approx)
    The people that ordered in November are paying £4000.[/quote]

So Canyon has set the price on the bikes up? Or do you mean that a bike that was to cost £4000 in Nov. now is around £4300 due to currency change £ vs. Euro?

Because prices is the same now on Danish version (in DKK) as they where when i ordered in dec. 2012.
  • Low-fi
    dagros wrote:
    The people that ordered in November are paying £4000.

So Canyon has set the price on the bikes up? Or do you mean that a bike that was to cost £4000 in Nov. now is around £4300 due to currency change £ vs. Euro?

Because prices is the same now on Danish version (in DKK) as they where when i ordered in dec. 2012.[/quote]

It's all exchange rate based – prices are fixed in euro.
  • cyprids
    The delivery week for my model on canyons homepage has just gone from week 20 to week 26...it is interesting that they are not able to calculate a reliable delivery week at the moment.
  • cyprids wrote:
    The delivery week for my model on canyons homepage has just gone from week 20 to week 26...it is interesting that they are not able to calculate a reliable delivery week at the moment.

But that may be because they have now sold all of the week 20 builds :?
  • Hi All,

Been following this thread for a while. I ordered my bike (7.0 di2) back on 12th October 2012 with a delivery of week 11.
    Then pushed to week 15, then 16 before I got the email of doom.

Have been very close to cancelling a couple of times, even found a BMC Roadmachine for 3k but I stuck with Canyon.
    With my order I added the VCLS 2.0 post and top cap for the open forks, ultegra carbon pedals and other little bits.

When I rang up to question the delay I got the usual until the chap on the other end went all the way through my order and found that it was being held up because the seat post wasn't in until the end of May and the top cap not around until the middle of June! Whole order on hold until every part in stock........ :evil:

To be fair to Canyon they sorted that out, arranged that they will send out a temp seat post until VCLS can be dispatched, top cap sent out later too. :D

Anyhoo I had the email saying that the bike has been passed to UPS on Tuesday Am. Delivered on Friday Am. So excited I took the PM off work. She is beautiful and I mean beautiful. Fantastic bike in every respect. Knocks spots quality wise off the Planet X Exocet TT bike that I had. It is also better than my 2009 Boardman Team Carbon which was absolutely my guilty pleasure for the last 3 odd years but the Canyon is a different Gravy!! She is so very light, fast, strong, comfortable and I haven't been able to properly ride it yet! Argggggh.......... :evil: :evil:

Honestly, if you can just hold on a little longer I guarantee that you will not be dis appointed!
    Keep the faith guys.

Simon
  • cyprids
    I ordered the 8.0 ES which is with the new seatpost and also ordered the top cap :cry:
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    The delay on the seat posts looks like it is only for this ordering it as a separate item. When you look at the other Canyons ES bikes like the ultimate al ES then some sizes are available from stock so they must have enough vcls 2.0 posts for these ones.
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    Hi all

I spoke with Canyon UK this morning and aired my concerns. They obviously dismissed all the cracking of the BB & seat tube to seat stay area rumours, blaming supplier problems that has caused a back log of orders. I let them know that I wasn't happy and the stupid amount of time customers are having to wait for their bikes was unacceptable. He said I could cancel if I wanted to :shock: Caught me out there then :wink: He did go on to say that they are having trouble just trying to supply the media with bikes for test reviews an the like, so if they cant get them, what chance have we. :roll:

Now the bad bit.... Well, I was week 18, that dropped to week 16 and I thought ha ha, my lucks in. Then I got the 7-10 day delay email, and now I have been on the blower to them, suddenly, my new date is week 22, between 22-29 May :shock: Another poxy month away, and then they still cant guarantee that date either. :evil:

Oh, and there's a letter in the post supposedly, giving me up to date info and all the latest on my order.

Anyone else phoned them this morning ????
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    edited April 2013
    chigman wrote:
    Hi all

I spoke with Canyon UK this morning and aired my concerns. They obviously dismissed all the cracking of the BB & seat tube to seat stay area rumours, blaming supplier problems that has caused a back log of orders. I let them know that I wasn't happy and the stupid amount of time customers are having to wait for their bikes was unacceptable. He said I could cancel if I wanted to :shock: Caught me out there then :wink: He did go on to say that they are having trouble just trying to supply the media with bikes for test reviews an the like, so if they cant get them, what chance have we. :roll:

Now the bad bit.... Well, I was week 18, that dropped to week 16 and I thought ha ha, my lucks in. Then I got the 7-10 day delay email, and now I have been on the blower to them, suddenly, my new date is week 22, between 22-29 May :shock: Another poxy month away, and then they still cant guarantee that date either. :evil:

Oh, and there's a letter in the post supposedly, giving me up to date info and all the latest on my order.

Where did you hear about these rumours? Seen a mention of BB on Road.cc but that's all I've come across myself.

Edit: Must add that those comments I referred to on Road.CC are just speculative comments by some folks in the comments section of the SLX article and nothing official.
  • cyprids
    Well, well. well. Based on this new information I am going to cancel my order and get my money back and wait until they have the bikes in stock or maybe wait until the 2014 bikes are revealed and order by then.
  • chigman
    Skerryman wrote:
    chigman wrote:
    Hi all

Where did you hear about these rumours? Seen a mention of BB on Road.cc but that's all I've come across myself.

Edit: Must add that those comments I referred to on Road.CC are just speculative comments by some folks in the comments section of the SLX article and nothing official.

I cant remember where I read it, but I'm sure it must of been on here. The guy at Canyon said he had heard all the rumours about cracking in certain areas and dismissed them entirely .
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    I think there might be an element of Chinese Whispers about these bottom bracket rumours. First I read of it was some chap on Road.CC asking someone who had said that they had received their SLX had they noticed a "carbon patch" around the BB area of their bike. This was apparently based on the fact that the guy had seen the reinforced carbon layup pic on the BB of Kristoffs SLX on the Bikeradar article and had also heard something about Canyon inspecting every frame. That's the only mention I'm aware of really, people seem to have run a bit wild with it since then. That's not to say they didn't come across a few defective frames in QC checks which seems the case, but the comments on the Road.CC article would lead you to believe that Canyon realised the BB was falling apart so slapped an extra bit of carbon on and fired them on out to customers.

Seems perfectly logical that areas like the BB and other areas of high stress would be reinforced, especially on such a lightweight frame.

http://road.cc/content/news/80725-just- ... f-slx-2013
  • chigman
    edited April 2013
    Skerryman wrote:
    I think there might be an element of Chinese Whispers about these bottom bracket rumours. First I read of it was some chap on Road.CC asking someone who had said that they had received their SLX had they noticed a "carbon patch" around the BB area of their bike. This was apparently based on the fact that the guy had seen the reinforced carbon layup pic on the BB of Kristoffs SLX on the Bikeradar article and had also heard something about Canyon inspecting every frame. That's the only mention I'm aware of really, people seem to have run a bit wild with it since then. That's not to say they didn't come across a few defective frames in QC checks which seems the case, but the comments on the Road.CC article would lead you to believe that Canyon realised the BB was falling apart so slapped an extra bit of carbon on and fired them on out to customers.

Seems perfectly logical that areas like the BB and other areas of high stress would be reinforced, especially on such a lightweight frame.

http://road.cc/content/news/80725-just- ... f-slx-2013

I think you have just summed it up well. The guy at canyon said it was internet hysteria, where everyone was becoming anxious and venting their frustrations on the available forums. That sounds about right to me.
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • Low-fi
    chigman wrote:
    Skerryman wrote:
    chigman wrote:
    Hi all

I cant remember where I read it, but I'm sure it must have been on here. The guy at Canyon said he had heard all the rumours about cracking in certain areas and dismissed them entirely .

I spoke to Canyon UK about this shortly after the non-evidence based post on road.cc, and he was adamant there were no failures or anything like that. He said that they were taking the opportunity to do a 100% check on all frames, as it's new and shiny, and they have a way to actually perform these checks with their scanner.

I'm sure there were issues scaling the production of these frames, there always are with new things that push the boundaries (in the case of the SLX, weight, comfort & stiffness). I'm happy to take a minor delay for the fact that they'll know that it's quality frame without issues (at least in my case it's a minor delay, I totally understand the grumbles for those who've been waiting months).
  • da123
    da123 Posts: 27
    I think the likelihood of there being a serious quality issue is remote, but by their own admission they did find frames that fell below their own standards during their quality control process. This must be a relatively common occurrence with any entirely new product that pushes boundaries. I suspect the issue they've had is a mixture of sorting the problem they discovered with a very high level of demand. Again, hardly unheard of, but no less annoying for the people waiting. Canyon told me that bikes would be delivered on a strictly first come first served basis, and this appears consistent with the few delivered so far (I ordered mine in October last year). Where canyon could clearly have done better is in the communication of the delays - some of the emails were rather contradictory, and i personally don't buy the original 'third party supplier delay' e-mail i received. I guess however that if canyon had a super slick PR department their bikes would probably cost a bit more!. Like I said in my review, I do think it's worth waiting for - it's anything but run of the mill.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    giant man wrote:

looks familiar :wink:
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    People on here are talking like Canyon are the first company to make a sub 1kg frame.

Canyon are 'pushing the boundaries' that many other companies pushed a long, long time ago.

It is now hard to buy a top level bike that has a frame the weighs more than 900g.

The frame is only 15-20% of the total bike weight. The weight saving is in the groupset, wheels and accessories. It isn't magic.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Low-fi
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    People on here are talking like Canyon are the first company to make a sub 1kg frame.

Canyon are 'pushing the boundaries' that many other companies pushed a long, long time ago.

It is now hard to buy a top level bike that has a frame the weighs more than 900g.

The frame is only 15-20% of the total bike weight. The weight saving is in the groupset, wheels and accessories. It isn't magic.

Very true. But it's the first time Canyon have done it, so they'll probably still be learning things.
  • da123
    da123 Posts: 27
    Low-fi wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Very true. But it's the first time Canyon have done it, so they'll probably still be learning things.

I don't think this is a fair comment. The frame weight for the canyon appears to be a genuine sub 800g. Very few other manufacturers have managed this, no matter what they've claimed, and particularly at this price point. Some early versions of the Scott addict were in that ballpark, but Scott actually appeared to add a bit of weight presumably for stiffness and durability reasons, and the addict was not as stiff as the canyon and wasn't anywhere near as comfortable. The stock fascenario .7 is slightly heavier than the canyon and 3x as expensive. Wilier zero 7, cervelo r5 et all are all a lot more money as well.

Assuming the quality and durability is adequate, a sub 800g frame with great comfort and great stiffness at the canyon's price point is 'pushing the boundaries'.
  • hi from italy. ordered ultimate cf slx 9.0 in january havent received anything yet. on the italian forum bdc forum two guys have already received the one with electronic ultegra but the bad news is that both bike had a little crack on the carbon frame near the seatpost. http://foto.bdc-forum.it/viewphoto.php? ... from=58145 (think you have to join to see the pic...). both bikes have the same crack in the same place: never heard before...