Has anyone got the NEW 2013 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX yet?

Comments

• 400ajb
    400ajb Posts: 6
    Hi, 1st post on here. Ordered mine (cf slx 7) way back when they first became available back in late october. Original delivery date was week 12, got a letter in feb saying would be week 14. Week 14 comes and goes with no info from canyon. Phoned the uk call centre and got the same response that due to a busy easter they 'estimate' another 10 days for despatch. They only take the payment when its despatched apparently. Sent canyon a tweet and they replied that they were having supply issues whatever that means :evil:
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    Hi Mekkeljenson,

I was suppose to get mine this week. But after emailing them yesterday, I've been informed that its going to be late for a further 10 days due to a "busy Easter"................................ what can I do? :(

So, I'm afraid more waiting it is!

Yours Disappointingly

Chung

That sucks man. I noticed the delivery dates have jumped forward another two weeks in the past few days, were 26 now Week 28. I'm seriously hoping all these "supply issues" have been smoothed out by the time mine is supposed to be shipped. Have they every divulged if it's the frame or the components they're having issues with, I see lots of other bikes sold with DA 9000 so I'm thinking its the frame. They were announced in October and still haven't made delivery of first orders, must be hand carving each one out of a giant block of carbon with a teaspoon.
  • There were moving to a new warehouse this year, may be they've just taken a shed load more orders than they were expecting. Pretty grim for those waiting for their bike.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    edited April 2013
    chigman wrote:
    Mine is due week sixteen but I haven't been billed yet, dont know if thats a good or bad? :? The way I understood it was.. they would bill me three weeks before shipping date or there abouts.

Think I will email them tomorrow to see if indeed there are any hold-ups.

Well i did email them last night and this is their reply today....

"Many thanks for your e-mail.

Your order is still scheduled for dispatch in week 16 however it might be slightly delayed.

Due to the complexity and performance oriented nature of your bike we are doing a 100% check of the frame and fork in our Quality Department. This is can take a little longer than expected due to some capacity limitations of our testing equipment and crew.

We are doing our best to reduce the waiting time to a minimum but please bare in mind that the
    order might be shipped 7-10 days later than currently scheduled."

Sincerely,

Canyon Bicycles Ltd

So going by that, it sounds like week 17-18 in all probability doesn't it :shock:
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • Sounds like they're checking every frame using their CT scanner... It's either amazing levels of quality control or unreliable manufacturing...
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    Sounds like they're checking every frame using their CT scanner... It's either amazing levels of quality control or unreliable manufacturing...

More like your good old fashioned bullsh**te :lol:
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • da123
    da123 Posts: 27
    Mine was originally due week 11, subsequently delayed to week 14 and then week 15. Current info from Canyon as of this morning is that it is assembled and in their service centre but being quality checked. Estimated despatch early next week, which I will believe when I see it...
  • Still have at best 8 weeks to wait ... was toying with cancelling & going for something else. Until I saw this :D - http://road.cc/content/news/80725-just-canyon-ultimate-cf-slx-2013
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have to be honest, I was reading this thread wonder why the hell people were waiting so long for a bl00dy bike and how on earth it got to 3 pages.

Just read that article.

WANT. Get ready for another 'what size for canyon ultimate' thread.....
  • Skerryman
    uberkraaft wrote:
    Still have at best 8 weeks to wait ... was toying with cancelling & going for something else. Until I saw this :D - http://road.cc/content/news/80725-just-canyon-ultimate-cf-slx-2013

Awesome, was lurking around the net looking for reviews but to no avail. Seen on their Facebook page last week they had a pic of a SLX (SRAM Red) all ready to go for magazine review so figured one had to be in the pipeline. :D
  • da123
    Surprise surprise. Following an e-mail from Canyon on Friday last week stating bike was assembled but waiting for completion of quality control and would be shipped 'at the latest' by early this week, further e-mail received this morning stating more or less the same thing except that delivery will be at least another 7-10 days. Have asked whether they have identified an 'issue' with the frame and fork, hence the delay, but not received a response yet...
  • Skerryman
    da123 wrote:
    Surprise surprise. Following an e-mail from Canyon on Friday last week stating bike was assembled but waiting for completion of quality control and would be shipped 'at the latest' by early this week, further e-mail received this morning stating more or less the same thing except that delivery will be at least another 7-10 days. Have asked whether they have identified an 'issue' with the frame and fork, hence the delay, but not received a response yet...

Please keep us updated on their reply be very interested on what they say. Seen some folks on Road.cc speculating on an issue with the BB area based solely on a pic of the carbon layup in that area, but surely an increased carbon wrap/ layup in areas subject to high forces etc. is common practice in carbon frames. I'd be very surprised if there was an issue with the frame that was only uncovered at this stage in production, I'd imagine they'd be fairly well tested at this stage. On the other hand, it is odd that they seem to be doing 100% inspections. Katusha's SLX's seemed to do OK in Paris-Roubaix, which is somewhat comforting.
  • da123
    Skerryman wrote:
    da123 wrote:

Please keep us updated on their reply be very interested on what they say. Seen some folks on Road.cc speculating on an issue with the BB area based solely on a pic of the carbon layup in that area, but surely an increased carbon wrap/ layup in areas subject to high forces etc. is common practice in carbon frames. I'd be very surprised if there was an issue with the frame that was only uncovered at this stage in production, I'd imagine they'd be fairly well tested at this stage. On the other hand, it is odd that they seem to be doing 100% inspections. Katusha's SLX's seemed to do OK in Paris-Roubaix, which is somewhat comforting.

Will do, although even if there is a problem I'd be amazed if they gave anything away to me. It would be something for a very carefully worded press release... As you say, the pro team have been using the bike for a while, so you would have thought any issues would have been identified. On the other hand, the frames ridden by the pros will probably have personalised carbon lay-ups anyway - particularly round the BB area - so I suppose it is possible that the consumer version has an issue that wouldn't be shown up on the pro bikes. I very much hope I'm wrong, but the wording of their e-mails does seem a little suspicious to me. It does make me wonder whether the original delays everyone experienced (like my delay from CW11 to CW15) were in fact to do with third party supplier issues as stated. When they told me this I tried to get them to confirm which supplier it was, but they wouldn't let me know. This could of course be down to supplier agreements and confidentiality, but the cynic might suspect that they wouldn't say because it would be very easy to check...

Anyway, paranoia over for now, hopefully I'll quickly forget the delays once I eventually ride the bike...
  • da123
    da123 wrote:
    Skerryman wrote:
    da123 wrote:

Will do, although even if there is a problem I'd be amazed if they gave anything away to me. It would be something for a very carefully worded press release... As you say, the pro team have been using the bike for a while, so you would have thought any issues would have been identified. On the other hand, the frames ridden by the pros will probably have personalised carbon lay-ups anyway - particularly round the BB area - so I suppose it is possible that the consumer version has an issue that wouldn't be shown up on the pro bikes. I very much hope I'm wrong, but the wording of their e-mails does seem a little suspicious to me. It does make me wonder whether the original delays everyone experienced (like my delay from CW11 to CW15) were in fact to do with third party supplier issues as stated. When they told me this I tried to get them to confirm which supplier it was, but they wouldn't let me know. This could have course be down to supplier agreements and confidentiality, but the cynic might suspect that they wouldn't say because it would be very easy to check...

Anyway, paranoia over for now, hopefully I'll quickly forget the delays once I eventually ride the bike...

This is the response from Canyon. Read into it what you will. The second sentence is in response to me asking whether the 7-10 day further delay was a definite commitment, or whether additional delays were possible / likely. In other words: 'we won't commit', from which I guess you have to suppose that more delay is a possibility.

"The delay is not due to a specific quality issue, its a new product so our engineers in Germany just want to make 100% sure every product meets the right standard and unfortunately this is taking slightly longer than expected.

The additional 7-10 day delay is the latest information we have from the factory in Germany at this time."
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Just looks like the sort of delay that seems to be hitting all high-end bikes when they get introduced - people have been waiting 15 months for their Cervelo P5s for example
  • Crozza
    ps - not happy about the Road.cc article. that is exactly the model I want and now everyone will want one!
  • Skerryman
    da123 wrote:
    da123 wrote:
    Skerryman wrote:
    da123 wrote:

Will do, although even if there is a problem I'd be amazed if they gave anything away to me. It would be something for a very carefully worded press release... As you say, the pro team have been using the bike for a while, so you would have thought any issues would have been identified. On the other hand, the frames ridden by the pros will probably have personalised carbon lay-ups anyway - particularly round the BB area - so I suppose it is possible that the consumer version has an issue that wouldn't be shown up on the pro bikes. I very much hope I'm wrong, but the wording of their e-mails does seem a little suspicious to me. It does make me wonder whether the original delays everyone experienced (like my delay from CW11 to CW15) were in fact to do with third party supplier issues as stated. When they told me this I tried to get them to confirm which supplier it was, but they wouldn't let me know. This could have course be down to supplier agreements and confidentiality, but the cynic might suspect that they wouldn't say because it would be very easy to check...

This is the response from Canyon. Read into it what you will. The second sentence is in response to me asking whether the 7-10 day further delay was a definite commitment, or whether additional delays were possible / likely. In other words: 'we won't commit', from which I guess you have to suppose that more delay is a possibility.

"The delay is not due to a specific quality issue, its a new product so our engineers in Germany just want to make 100% sure every product meets the right standard and unfortunately this is taking slightly longer than expected.

The additional 7-10 day delay is the latest information we have from the factory in Germany at this time."

I would be surprised if it was a quality issue. Perhaps they never really took QC testing of finished product into account when quoting estimated delivery times. Not doing themselves any favours by pushing dates back the whole time though. I've an estimated delivery date of week 26 which is the end of June and I'm really hoping it doesn't go too far beyond that as I want to get as much of the Summer out of the bike as I can (not that we're expecting too much of a Summer).

I noticed all but the very big sizes of the SRAM Red version are quoted as 'Sold Out' on the site, which is odd as it's a new frame and groupset you'd imagine they would still quote delivery dates, albeit far off ones.
  • Skerryman wrote:
    I noticed all but the very big sizes of the SRAM Red version are quoted as 'Sold Out' on the site, which is odd as it's a new frame and groupset you'd imagine they would still quote delivery dates, albeit far off ones.

It's not the new 11 speed groupset but the 'old' 10 speed
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • To be honest (and i'm a massive cynic) I highly doubt its a qulaity issue with the frames.

If you look Road.CC have already reviewed the 2013 bike about a week ago, and then that was only the second bike in the country, both of which were being pimped out to lucky journalists to write reviews.

I just think Canyon underestimated the amount of orders they were going to get for this bike which has propably created a bottleneck in their quality control. Its not uncommon for carbon bikes to undergo some serious quality checks beofre being shipped so if theyre checking every frame with their CT scanner before assembly then i'm not surprised at the delays.

Katusha have only had their SLX's for a month and they would have been the first to get them, when you consider the amount of frams they would need as well.

I'm pretty sure this is a case of good things come to thiose who wait... although if you're stupidly inpatient you could always offer to buy someone's bike that get delivered before yours for a big mark up in price, or just get the Aeroad CF in the same spec which is in stock and ready to ship... :wink:
  • I'm pretty sure this is a case of good things come to thiose who wait... although if you're stupidly inpatient you could always offer to buy someone's bike that get delivered before yours for a big mark up in price, or just get the Aeroad CF in the same spec which is in stock and ready to ship... :wink:

Yeah but who is going to pay 10 grand for a 3.5 grand bike just to get it a few weeks earlier?

That's a serious question BTW :mrgreen:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Crozza
    I'm pretty sure this is a case of good things come to thiose who wait... although if you're stupidly inpatient you could always offer to buy someone's bike that get delivered before yours for a big mark up in price, or just get the Aeroad CF in the same spec which is in stock and ready to ship... :wink:

Yeah but who is going to pay 10 grand for a 3.5 grand bike just to get it a few weeks earlier?

That's a serious question BTW :mrgreen:

ha yeah you see this with supercars all the time - people selling their place on the waiting list or driving it for 3 months then selling it for more than what they paid

might put my new SLX on the classifieds now, available December!
  • I JUST WANT MY BIKEEEEE
  • da123
    The following e-mail received this morning... light at the end of the tunnel?

"Your order is currently being processed and will be handed over to UPS within
    the next 48 hours. You will then receive a confirmation of dispatch from us by e-mail together
    with the tracking number of the consignment. The tracking number allows you to
    constantly monitor the status of the consignment via Internet."

Still somewhat confused given the e-mail I got yesterday saying that it would be at least another 7-10 days before shipping.
  • Crozza
    they have got 2 brand new bikes to get out (slx and speedmax) and that is just on the road side - I imagine things are pretty busy/chaotic over there (if my place of work is anything to go by)
  • Skerryman
    da123 wrote:

the next 48 hours. You will then receive a confirmation of dispatch from us by e-mail together

Still somewhat confused given the e-mail I got yesterday saying that it would be at least another 7-10 days before shipping.

Here's hoping. Perhaps they learned their lesson with delivery dates and decided to over-estimate the delivery time in yesterdays mail rather than what they've been doing all along. It's that old thing of keeping peoples expectations low and then their much easier impressed when you do something pretty ordinary, I use that tactic with the missus all the time, do nothing around the house and then the odd time I surprise her by doing something menial like cutting the lawn I'm a superstar :D

Hopefully you'll have it by next week so, it's end of June for me unfortunately but TBH I need the time to get funds organised anyway. What one did you order BTW (apologies if this has already been stated).
  • da123
    Skerryman wrote:
    da123 wrote:

Here's hoping. Perhaps they learned their lesson with delivery dates and decided to over-estimate the delivery time in yesterdays mail rather than what they've been doing all along. It's that old thing of keeping peoples expectations low and then their much easier impressed when you do something pretty ordinary, I use that tactic with the missus all the time, do nothing around the house and then the odd time I surprise her by doing something menial like cutting the lawn I'm a superstar :D

Hopefully you'll have it by next week so, it's end of June for me unfortunately but TBH I need the time to get funds organised anyway. What one did you order BTW (apologies if this has already been stated).

The SL. I'm not going to keep the R-Sys wheels though, as I have some ENVE 25 rims on Tune hubs that I had built in January that I'll use instead. Hopefully I can shift the Mavics without too much trouble, although not sure of the best place to put them on sale. Any views?
  • Skerryman
    da123 wrote:
    Skerryman wrote:
    da123 wrote:

The SL. I'm not going to keep the R-Sys wheels though, as I have some ENVE 25 rims on Tune hubs that I had built in January that I'll use instead. Hopefully I can shift the Mavics without too much trouble, although not sure of the best place to put them on sale. Any views?

Those ENVE's sound nice. Have you tried putting the R-SYS on the classifieds here to sound out if anyone is interested, hopefully have the bike before anyone wants to buy and could whip them off then. I was contemplating taking the Ksyriums off the SLX 8.0 I ordered and selling them to fund a nicer wheelset (was thinking DA C24's maybe) but not sure if I can justify the extra spend on top of the bike and might be better off using Ksyriums til I can afford upgrade and then relegate them to winter duty. Having said that I've not yet ridden Ksyriums so might end up loving them, fingers crossed.
  • Crozza
    I see Wiggle has the R-Sys at about £1300 at the mo (platinum price).

you'll probably have to take quite a cut on the rrp to get rid of them - why not just stick them on the winter hack :wink:
  • da123
    Crozza wrote:
    I see Wiggle has the R-Sys at about £1300 at the mo (platinum price).

you'll probably have to take quite a cut on the rrp to get rid of them - why not just stick them on the winter hack :wink:

Extravagant idea. I like it! But I have too many wheels already. Even if I got £1,000 for them it would be worth it. And £1,000 for a brand new £1,600 set of wheels is hopefully a decent deal for someone.
  • Crozza
    let's see. your wheels for £1k, the Red gruppo for £1100 from bike-discount, the slx frame for £1400 (tax free - am in Channel Islands)

that's £3,500 already before I've even got saddle, bars etc. Canyon will sell me an SL for around £3k

no deal!