Has anyone got the NEW 2013 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX yet?

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    A mate is looking at a 2014 SLX with 11 speed Di2. He said the 2014 frame is very slightly heavier but the rear triangles are stiffer.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    The CF SLX 7.0 has gone up from €2999 to €3199. It seems the wheels have been upgraded to a set with an exalith coated rim. Is there any other difference?
  • ai_1
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    A mate is looking at a 2014 SLX with 11 speed Di2. He said the 2014 frame is very slightly heavier but the rear triangles are stiffer.
    Heavier but stiffer compared to what? - the 2013 SLX?
    As far as I'm aware the frame has not changed from 2013 and the only difference appears to be minor changes to equipment spec. It's still advertised as a 790g frame and I don't see any mention of improved stiffness. You can be fairly sure they're be talking about it if they'd improved something.
  • Low-fi
    Low-fi Posts: 98
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Not sure where he heard that from – the 2013 frames are identical, according to Canyon themselves.
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    As far as I'm aware the frame has not changed from 2013 and the only difference appears to be minor changes to equipment spec. It's still advertised as a 790g frame and I don't see any mention of improved stiffness. You can be fairly sure they're be talking about it if they'd improved something.

I seem to recall that there an issue with flexing? If so they may well have beefed up the rear triangle and wouldn't want to open themselves up to claims by buyers of the 2013 by advertising that they had essentially rectified a known problem.
  • Low-fi
    Vortice wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

I seem to recall that there an issue with flexing? If so they may well have beefed up the rear triangle and wouldn't want to open themselves up to claims by buyers of the 2013 by advertising that they had essentially rectified a known problem.

Issue with flex down to wheels IIRC – I can test it though as I've had my 2013 replaced with 2014 model
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    Low-fi wrote:
    Vortice wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Issue with flex down to wheels IIRC – I can test it though as I've had my 2013 replaced with 2014 model

That could be it. Have you noticed any other differences between 2013 and 2014 models?
  • Low-fi
    Vortice wrote:
    Low-fi wrote:
    Vortice wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

That could be it. Have you noticed any other differences between 2013 and 2014 models?

None whatsoever, apart from a sticker on the top tube that reads "road" (which was promptly pulled off).
  • Doty
    Doty Posts: 25
    Low-fi wrote:
    Vortice wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

I dont think anyone ever got to the bottom of the flex issue. I noticed the same flex in two sets of wheels... one of which didn't flex noticably at all on my previous bike. I just increased brake block clearance and tried to put it out of my mind!
    However, I'd be interested to hear whether or not you've noticed any difference with the 2014 model (i.e. when applying pressure to left hand crank with front brake on and watching the rear right hand brake block move towards the rim)
    Out of interest, why did you need the 2013 bike replacing? (sorry if i missed that in an earlier post!)
    Cheers
    Doty
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    I have not noticed any flex/brake rub on my 2013 SLX with r-sys wheels, and I'm a 90kg cottage of wattage
  • Low-fi
    Doty wrote:
    // snip snip //
    Out of interest, why did you need the 2013 bike replacing? (sorry if i missed that in an earlier post!)
    Cheers
    Doty

Frame only replacement. Really bad chain suck into a few layers of carbon around the BB. Canyon UK were excellent, I can't praise them enough. Superb service and handling.
  • I was wondering if anybody was intending to order a CF SLX (or any other bike), would they offer to kindly order me a cap for the stem as part of their order?

I received my CF SLX a few weeks ago and assumed the cap came as part of the bike, and ordering one off the website incurs a £10 shipping fee. The cost of the cap is £10.95, I am happy to pay £2 postage on top of that, if somebody was kind enough to order one for me as part of their order I would be very grateful, and will pay via bank transfer/paypal gift.

Thank you very much in advance,
    James
  • I am struggling to decide between an Ultimate AL 9.0 and an Ultimate CF SL 8.0. Does anyone have any advice or experience with these bikes?

This will be my first road bike. Previously bought Canyon mountain bikes and incredibly happy with them. I've decided to join the dark side and get a roady to do some longer road rides and commute to work occasionally.
  • Hi,

I am looking to buy a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0 Di2.

Their on-line measuring puts me at a small, having spoken to the UK office, the guy told me I should 'go for medium without a doubt'.

Does anyone with similar measurements to me (see below) have the bike? If so, what size did you go for and how is the fit?

height - 173cm
    inseam - 81 cm
    torso - 61 cm
    shoulder - width - 43 cm
    arm length - 62 cm
    'Ape Index' - 178cm i.e. - 5cm longer than height

Thanks

Lee
  • Low-fi
    Hi,

I am looking to buy a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0 Di2.

Their on-line measuring puts me at a small, having spoken to the UK office, the guy told me I should 'go for medium without a doubt'.

Does anyone with similar measurements to me (see below) have the bike? If so, what size did you go for and how is the fit?

height - 173cm
    inseam - 81 cm
    torso - 61 cm
    shoulder - width - 43 cm
    arm length - 62 cm

Thanks

Lee

Given your relatively longer arms, surely you'd want the top tube to be more a little more stretched out? You'd be running quite a long stem with a small, increasing stability, but not helping chuckability/handling.
  • Doty
    Doty Posts: 25
    Hi Lee
    My measurements were -
    Body height: 174
    Inseam: 82 / 83 (depending how hard I ram the book up my crotch and which shorts I wear!!)
    Body weight: 63
    Shoulder width: 44
    Arm length: 62
    Torso length: 64

The calculator advised I a small. This seemed odd, as all my other bikes are medium.
    I checked the geometry of the canyon against my other bikes and was somewhere in between a small and med on the Ultimate. So I emailed Canyon UK and they told me size small would be perfect with a longer (110mm) stem - I went for a 100mm stem and specified wider handlebars.
    Glad I took their advice as the fit is spot on! Seems really strange they've advised you get a medium given your measurements are smaller than mine?! On a medium I don't think i'd have enough seat post showing.

hope that helps
    Doty

• 'Ape Index' - 178cm i.e. - 5cm longer than height

Jesus!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Jesus!

"Right turn, Clyde."

Sorry.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • da123 wrote:
    Skerryman wrote:
    da123 wrote:
    Got mine yesterday.

Here is a frankly terrible picture.

She is as stock, except for the wheels and tyres, the saddle and the chain.

Not weighed yet, but I think around 600g is saved by swopping the wheels, saddle and chain. Add 155g for the pedals, and based on Canyon's quoted weight I guess she's around 5.75kg

Beautiful looking machine. Feel free to post up more pics when convenient and a ride report :wink:
    What size frame you go for?

It is a small. I'm 5'9". Spot on fit for me.

She's done a grand total of 6 miles so far. Very early impressions are that she is very smooth. Lots of terrible tarmac on my ride into work, and the rear end and fork do a great job of smoothing the ride. Certainly a bit more comfortable than my Storck, although different wheels, so perhaps not a fair comparison.

Finish on the frame is reasonable rather than flawless I would say, but I'm comparing to my Fascenario which is significantly more expensive.

Will post a more comprehensive review once I've done a few more miles.

Hello, it appears you have fitted a long stem. 100mm? How does your bike perform so far?
  • When placing your order with canyon are you effectively placing yourself in a queue? What I mean is, if my bike was due week 52, but in the weeks leading up to this, availability on-line dropped to week 48, would my delivery date be brought forward or stay at week 52?
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    edited November 2013
    When placing your order with canyon are you effectively placing yourself in a queue? What I mean is, if my bike was due week 52, but in the weeks leading up to this, availability on-line dropped to week 48, would my delivery date be brought forward or stay at week 52?

You are in a queue, first come first served. Payment taken just before the bike actually ships.
  • Low-fi
    Quick question for Ultimate SLX owners.

How are the cables routed under the bottom bracket? Directly on the cable guide, or through some plastic liners that rest onto the cable guide? The plastic liners are semi transparent and flexible.

Thanks in advance.
  • Low-fi wrote:
    Quick question for Ultimate SLX owners.

How are the cables routed under the bottom bracket? Directly on the cable guide, or through some plastic liners that rest onto the cable guide? The plastic liners are semi transparent and flexible.

Thanks in advance.

I don't see a liner - the cables are quite recessed so hard to be 100% sure:

XCTGtKn.jpg

LbYCNLW.jpg
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Does the whole of that rectangular thing pull out? If so, it looks very similar to the one on the Scott Foil. You can pull the guide out to get access to the inside of the BB area to help find the ends of the cables. Then you feed them through the slots in the cable guide and then through the holes leading out to the derailleurs. Finally you push the guide back in and pull the cables tight. The guide itself is held in place by the tension of the cables.

I assume this is the same. It would make things a lot more difficult unnecessarily if the guide wasn't removable.
  • Low-fi
    Thanks Mechanism. All resolved now.
  • morph
    morph Posts: 63
    Probably a stupid question, but here we go:

Have people been using these on the turbo trainer without issue? It's the carbon drop outs that worry me.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    morph wrote:
    Probably a stupid question, but here we go:

Have people been using these on the turbo trainer without issue? It's the carbon drop outs that worry me.
    Don't worry about it.. :D:wink:

The dropouts are subjected to just as much or more lateral/bending/shearing forces when you are on the road, and are designed for it.

Think what is happening when you are climbing out of the saddle on the road and counteracting the force you are applying to one pedal by shifting the bike and your bodyweight in the other direction. You are just using your bodyweight to oppose the force instead of the frame of the turbo, but in both cases the dropouts have to transmit the same forces through them.

Most high end bikes these days have carbon dropouts and they are widely used on turbos, including by all of the pros.
  • morph
    morph Posts: 63
    Great thanks. Have no worries about current carbon bike, just has a paranoid concern that the carbon dropouts on the SLX would be at risk of being crushed/worn.
  • Doty wrote:
    Bobbydazzla, best way to tell would be to slacken off the brake and see if the noise stops. I'm not sure I'd of noticed my brake rub with standard rims as easily, but the exaliths make it known when the pad touches!

Hi Doty,
    I have the same issue with the brake rubbing on the back wheel when applying pressure to the left crank when out of the saddle. Did you resolve the problem in the end? I am considering having the spokes adjusted to deal with it.
  • ai_1
    Not sure this belongs here, I should perhaps start a new thread but I was planning to order an Ultimate SLX buy when it came down to it I found it difficult to justify an extra €1000 for the SLX 7.0 over the SL 9.0. It's got lower spec wheels and a slightly heavier frame but geometry and all hardwear besides the wheels are identical. Total claimed bike weight is only 250g heavier at 6.95kg.
    Aside from the SLX having the nicer colour scheme I'm wondering would I really be able to tell the difference?
    Has anyone ridden both yet? Even of you haven't, how would you decide?