Has anyone got the NEW 2013 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX yet?

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    utherdoul wrote:
    On a slight chance of topic, does anyone know how much the geometry has changed onthe 2013 / 2014 models (square tubing) compared to 2010 / 2011 (more rounded tubing)? I have the 60cm CF SLX 8.0 2010 with a 110cm stem (standard) which fits great, and am looking at the new models with their "pro" geometry, but can't find anything listed that will help me compare.
    If anyone has done an upgrade recently, how have you found the new geometry (specifically in the 60cm), or if anyone is better at googling than me, can you find any details of the older model geometries anywhere. I have tried emailing Canyon, but no response at yet.
    I'm hoping to pick something nice up in 11spd Di2 during TdF sale time:-)
    Basically, they went from 2cm increments to the small-medium-large concept, not as flexible for fit imo ..
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Ai_1 wrote:
    I think the older geometries are still om the Canyon site. Try looking up an older model in their outlet store and see if there's a link to the original product page.
    Apologies - just checked this and can't find a link to the older geometries where I thought it was.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    What's the maximum insertion depth of the VCLS 2.0 post, IE. how much of the bending bit protruding is required for the post to work ?
    I did try emailing Canyon but the UK office appear to be of limited intelligence and replied 'insert as per the post markings'.
  • ai_1
    adamfo wrote:
    What's the maximum insertion depth of the VCLS 2.0 post, IE. how much of the bending bit protruding is required for the post to work ?
    I did try emailing Canyon but the UK office appear to be of limited intelligence and replied 'insert as per the post markings'.
    I can check this evening. I would guess something like 160mm from saddle rails to top of seatpost clamp but wait til I measure!
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Canyon have confirmed that they are sending out all warrantied frames with the new broader seat post clamp:

"Our mechanic has been fitting the larger seatclamp as we find that this is causing less issues in the long run, so should certainly help avoid any further issues"

I would guess all SLXs are going out this way now

for anyone who already has one, I would be very tempted to contact Canyon and ask for one as a preventative measure.
  • ai_1
    adamfo wrote:
    I had a look at my VCLS 2.0 post last night and my guess was about right. Unfortunately my saddle has slipped a couple of times and flaked off some of the paint including the markings for the max insertion point but I know I had just under 15mm to spare and based on that, with the seatpost fully inserted it would be between 155-160mm from the top of the seat tube to the saddle rails.
  • ai_1
    New review of the Ultimate CF SLX 7.0 just released.

Confusing conflict with other reviews that have suggested the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX frame is very comfortable. Am I the only one that thinks the bike reviews on here appear to be written based on the marketing material with an occassional half-baked criticism thrown in to make it seem balanced?
    It's got the usual stuff about near telepathic direction changes and uncompromising acceleration. I'm glad it's all positive but I've a hard time taking it seriously. Especially when they say it's a very firm ride and recommend that "you might want to temper the feel with some more compliant wheels if you’re planning an epic day out"!
    Now correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there's any appreciable difference between different wheels in terms of vertical flexibility. Surely any change of tyre or tyre pressure will be of massively more consequence than a change in wheels. A stiff wheel typically refers to lateral flex not vertical. I wonder is the reviewer seeing "stiff" in the text, and automatically assuming a less stiff wheel will be more comfortable without even thinking about what he's saying? It smacks of space filling, not reviewing...... or have i got it all wrong?
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Ai_1 wrote:
    I had a look at my VCLS 2.0 post last night and my guess was about right. Unfortunately my saddle has slipped a couple of times and flaked off some of the paint including the markings for the max insertion point but I know I had just under 15mm to spare and based on that, with the seatpost fully inserted it would be between 155-160mm from the top of the seat tube to the saddle rails.

If it is slipping it isn't tight enough, simple as that.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ai_1
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:

Thanks for that! :roll:

What's your point? That I should just keep turning the bolt until the seatpost doesn't slip or something cracks? No thanks.
    I'm already at max specified torque and I'm not going higher. I'm not even sure if it would keep going higher or if the torque would plateau and further clamp closure would just deform the seat tube and seatpost. I'm not going to perform that experiment on my bike thanks. There is clearly a design problem and it appears to be that the seatpost is not rigid enough to safely produce sufficient clamping force.
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    New review of the Ultimate CF SLX 7.0 just released.

Confusing conflict with other reviews that have suggested the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX frame is very comfortable. Am I the only one that thinks the bike reviews on here appear to be written based on the marketing material with an occassional half-baked criticism thrown in to make it seem balanced?
    It's got the usual stuff about near telepathic direction changes and uncompromising acceleration. I'm glad it's all positive but I've a hard time taking it seriously. Especially when they say it's a very firm ride and recommend that "you might want to temper the feel with some more compliant wheels if you’re planning an epic day out"!
    Now correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there's any appreciable difference between different wheels in terms of vertical flexibility. Surely any change of tyre or tyre pressure will be of massively more consequence than a change in wheels. A stiff wheel typically refers to lateral flex not vertical. I wonder is the reviewer seeing "stiff" in the text, and automatically assuming a less stiff wheel will be more comfortable without even thinking about what he's saying? It smacks of space filling, not reviewing...... or have i got it all wrong?

Those Mavic SLR's are very stiff wheels
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pauljink
    pauljink Posts: 51
    Anyone recently received a warrantied frame?

My warranty return was accepted today (seat stay failure), and was wondering what frame to expect as the 2013 version is currently shown as sold out in my size.

Not in a rush, so would probably be happy to wait for he 2014 model, if there is one.
  • ai_1
    @Sloppy

All wheels do pretty well on vertical stiffness. Even if they impossibly didn't flex at all I still don't think they are the source of a comfort problem or that "more compliant wheels" is the solution. It should be fairly easy for anyone in the right field to calculate the strain you'd get from a given spoke setup under a given load. Any structural engineers about or mechanical engineers who still have this stuff fresh in their brains? I could have done it back in college but now it would take me a while!
  • Crozza
    pauljink wrote:
    Anyone recently received a warrantied frame?

My warranty return was accepted today (seat stay failure), and was wondering what frame to expect as the 2013 version is currently shown as sold out in my size.

Not in a rush, so would probably be happy to wait for he 2014 model, if there is one.

mine came back yesterday - size L. I would hope/guess that they have some frames back for warranty replacements.

anyway it has come with a new seat clamp which is much taller and gets progressively wider as it wraps around from left to right (when looked at from the rear). indeed, if designing a clamp that I thought would address the crack I had, that is exactly how I would have done it

it's as if they new...

I have the 9.0SL so the SLR wheels as well. not really encountered any problems with harshness, but agree that bigger tyres and lower psi will help with anything. one thing I would say is that I think it is possible for a frame/wheel combo to be too stiff - between the SLX frame and r-sys wheels I can make the rear wheel skip about quite easily under power (sprints and steep pitches)
  • Crozza
    so I finally got the chance to ride the bike yesterday and the chain catcher is rubbing hard against the chain and it won't shift into the big ring. the front mech has clearly just been bunged on any old how, and I now have to set it up myself from scratch - ordinarily not a big deal but the sram red front mech is a bit of a faff to set up properly

tedious.
  • poor canyon getting slagged off to crap recently, i think its the troll season upon up.

Phone service is crap, i agree. They need to address this asap as their german center is very good(typical UK call center comes to mind)

Email service is hit and miss, sometimes very quick and helpful. Other times takes a few emails before you get a "ticket".

Ive got a order for another one of their bikes and il be sure to comment.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • chewywahid
    chewywahid Posts: 28
    My replacement Canyon frame Ultimate SLX has been shipped and due tomorrow. I'll let you guys know about the seat clamp.
  • My Frame also appears to have cracked. Just emailed Canyon uk for advice. When you send it back do you send it all back incuding wheels, saddle and Pedals. Or do you just send the Frame with its attached groupsett ?
  • Crozza
    it's up to you. I kept back the wheels (but forgot to take out the brake pads for them so didn't end up using them in the end)

I left the pedals, saddle and bottle cages on and they just swapped them all over (well pedals came back in a little bag)

after spending an age trying to get front mech set up right I ended up splitting the cable at the end. it then slipped half way through yesterday's ride so I'm giving in and dropping it to the LBS to get it sorted this week. I'll also get them to fit the brakes properly - they came back too lose and housing is too long
  • dean7879
    dean7879 Posts: 127
    This doesn't sound good. Was really tempted to order a canyon. it would of been my first carbon bike, but i might try the Rose xeon 4400 out instead.

How long do carbon bikes last?
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    Just received mine. Not had a chance to ride it yet, but it is seriously light!

I've just moved to Brussels so will look forward to going exploring with it. My tools haven't arrived yet, so please excuse the dork disc [unless anyone knows how to get one off without any lockring removal?]! Completely stock for the time being...

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

I also found Canyon really good to deal with - a few e-mails answered within the same day and I got a fantastic deal with the exchange rate, the 200 euros off and a discount I'm eligible for!
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    dean7879 wrote:
    This doesn't sound good. How long do carbon bikes last?

Not very long, according to some reports in this thread.
  • Semantik wrote:
    dean7879 wrote:
    This doesn't sound good. How long do carbon bikes last?

Not very long, according to some reports in this thread.
    Trolling session in full swing...

I'm currently finding as of last couple of weeks Canyon to be unavailable both email and phone, currently waiting for " Speedmax sizing expert" to contact me .

Anyone know their direct email?
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • My frame has cracked, no doubt due to the flexable seatpost. To be fair Canyon UK have so far been excellent and the bike is being collected by UPS today. Turn around time estimated to be four weeks. The new frame is sent over from Germany and the bike re built in the UK. I just hope they make a decent job of it. Some replies on here suggest that there gear indexing is not all that it could be.

In the meatime im back to my Ribble which i used to love, but now feels big and slow in comparioson.
  • chewywahid
    chewywahid Posts: 28
    My Frame also appears to have cracked. Just emailed Canyon uk for advice. When you send it back do you send it all back incuding wheels, saddle and Pedals. Or do you just send the Frame with its attached groupsett ?
    Hi, Canyon are sending the frame only and I'll get my LBS to swap all the bits over. I did have a choice of sending the whole bike back, but I didn't have the box any more. Canyon will pay for the return of the frame and the cost of swapping all the bits over. Canyon also did say I can carry on riding it whilst waiting for the replacement frame. It's a lovely ride and very responsive.
  • Dodger747
    dean7879 wrote:
    How long do carbon bikes last?

I'm planning on buying a new one next year in the end of season clearance, it gets expensive this carbon lark! :roll:

As for their e-mail either:

uk@canyon.com
    info@canyon.com

I had quick responses from both.
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:

What's your point? That I should just keep turning the bolt until the seatpost doesn't slip or something cracks? No thanks.
    I'm already at max specified torque and I'm not going higher. I'm not even sure if it would keep going higher or if the torque would plateau and further clamp closure would just deform the seat tube and seatpost. I'm not going to perform that experiment on my bike thanks. There is clearly a design problem and it appears to be that the seatpost is not rigid enough to safely produce sufficient clamping force.

My point is that if your seat post isn't clamped sufficiently, it will be waving around and this will cause the seat tube to crack. You will not be able to crush the seat post by over tightening the clamp. You will strip the tiny thread long before you reach the force needed to crush a substantial circular lump of carbon fibre.

If your saddle is slipping, then your bike is not safe to ride.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ai_1
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:

My point is that if your seat post isn't clamped sufficiently, it will be waving around and this will cause the seat tube to crack. You will not be able to crush the seat post by over tightening the clamp. You will strip the tiny thread long before you reach the force needed to crush a substantial circular lump of carbon fibre.

If your saddle is slipping, then your bike is not safe to ride.
    It's a design issue with the VCLS 2.0 seatpost it appears. Canyon responded very quickly to my e-mail offering to replace the VCLS 2.0 with the standard VCLS post and refund the difference since this is apparently a known issue with the VCLS for riders over 85kg. I'm about 86-87kg at the moment. I've been using the bike with a seatpost off my old bike without any problems while waiting for the VCLS post. The comfort post though nice, is certainly not essential as the bike is very nice to ride and not at all harsh with the basic post I'm currently using. The 25mm Yksion tyres certainly contribute to the comfort!
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 wrote:
    Just received mine. Not had a chance to ride it yet, but it is seriously light!

Just been out for my first ride, and wow! It's both plush and immediate at the same time. Can't wait to get it out on some hills.

Other than horrendous squealing under braking, which I hope dissipates as the pads wear in [which I assume is due to the exalith coating on the rims?], I have no complaints whatsoever from my initial impressions. If you are contemplating getting one, then do it!
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • Doty
    Doty Posts: 25
    For what it's worth... I always found the customer service via email to Canyon UK very quick. Didn't always fully answer my queries without further prompting, but pretty good all the same and got there in the end. I had a lot of questions re frame sizing and stem length, and they were spot on with their recommendations.

Dodger - yes the exilith coating/pads do squeal until bedded in. Then you just get a sweet sound (I cant spell exactly how it sounds, but it's something like 'vfsszzeeeuuuooo' :lol:

I'm on the standard VCLS post and there are no signs of any frame issues after around 1,800 miles (I weigh about 65kg)

Brilliant bike... after all, if the frame's good enough for Quintana it'll do for me. :)

PS: if anyone's still on the original 23mm Mavic tyres my advice is to change them... Vittoria Corsa's improved the wet weather grip, comfort and rolling resistance noticably (although a tad heavier)
  • So my bike went back to Canyon UK yesterday. It arrived with them today. Today I had an email from Germany to say that my new frame has been dispatched and will arrive in the uk on Monday. Seems pretty efficient so far.