Has anyone got the NEW 2013 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX yet?

Comments

• homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    DrWally wrote:
    soooo, FINALLY got around taking it for a test drive.

there's an annoying cracking sound coming from the seat tube (post?). On closer inspection, there's a little piece of carbon literally melted away (say a 2mm spot) on the top of the seat tube, right under the metal ring to mount the seat post. I don't know whether is has something to do with the cracking sounds (which are only present when in the saddle, not when riding out of the saddle). Cracking sounds become worse when speed was increased (pretty scary on the descent!).

also the superficial finishing of the frame is far from perfect. The stealth color has some irregularities that imo are definitely not supposed to be there.

As for the ride quality: well I found it hard to enjoy because I hate it when new gear sounds as if it was picked of a garbage belt, but ignoring that: The bike's natural habitat is clearly mountainous terrain (unfortunately nothing like that around here), or very steep hills that you can climb out of the saddle. Then it's quite responsive, and as mentioned before, it's fun to give it that extra push. On the flat, these characteristics are pretty useless of course. I like the steering, it's a bit twitchy, but in a way that it stays fun. Makes for an exciting ride. The di-system shifts flawlessly, but I do miss being able to shift several gears with just one push (I guess the 11 speed DA di does have that ability?)

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your bike - must be really irritating after a long wait. Couple of quick points:

Are you sure it's not just the raw finish of the frame that is showing through? I initially thought mine was in a right state until I started seeing how it reacted in different light, etc. It obviously freaks a lot of folk out...

http://www.canyon.com/_en/supportcenter/article.html?supportcenter_articles_id=28

And for the gears, it's annoying that considering how much the gruppo is it doesn't come with it, but you can change the gear function using the firmware box. So you can have multiple shifts on one touch, etc. A decent LBS should be able to help out easily enough, or you can get the box online (about £150 :shock: ). I like the gear system but am definitely thinking that I want multishift facility setup, having got used to the way Di2 works now.
  • stan1000
    stan1000 Posts: 49
    Finally my CF SLX 7.0 Di2 turned up yesterday :D

No problem with carbon finish noticed so far with my frame, looking to take it out for a spin tonight, as it took me quite a while to put things together last night.
    homercles wrote:
    And for the gears, it's annoying that considering how much the gruppo is it doesn't come with it, but you can change the gear function using the firmware box. So you can have multiple shifts on one touch, etc. A decent LBS should be able to help out easily enough, or you can get the box online (about £150 :shock: ). I like the gear system but am definitely thinking that I want multishift facility setup, having got used to the way Di2 works now.

You dont need any extra hardware to update the firmware, as I updated the firmware last night on my bike, you can plug the USB lead into a laptop (after installing the etube software, go to > e-tubeproject.shimano.com ). Once you have updated the firmware, you can via the e-tube interface change: the functions of each of the shifter buttons , speed of shift, and set-up long presses of the shifter button to multi-shift 3 or more gears at a time etc. 8)
  • homercles
    @stan1000 - Good knowledge, going to give this a whirl. I thought you had to have the Shimano SM-PCE1 interface unit to do all of that stuff (which struck me as odd/ unnecessary).

Of course my gf has already looked at me like I was mental when she saw me plugging the bike in to charge. God knows what she'll think when she sees me hooking it up to the laptop! :roll:
  • DrWally
    DrWally Posts: 54
    edited July 2013
    thanks for the suggestions. I loosened, lubricated and re-tightened every bolt in the seat tube. The clicking sound got less obvious. It's still awfully noisy though when riding uneven terrain. But maybe that's just me being paranoid now.

Anyone with a 2.0 seatpost that noticed something similar, ie, relatively noisy on 'uneven' (i'm talking minor tarmac deficiencies, not cobble stones) terrain?

edit: the 'melted part' of the frame showing right under the metal ring to mount the seat is supposed to be there and allows the seatpost to be fixed :) from up close, it just really looks as if someone put out a cigaret on the frame, bizar.
  • DrWally
    stan1000 wrote:
    Finally my CF SLX 7.0 Di2 turned up yesterday :D

No problem with carbon finish noticed so far with my frame, looking to take it out for a spin tonight, as it took me quite a while to put things together last night.
    homercles wrote:

You dont need any extra hardware to update the firmware, as I updated the firmware last night on my bike, you can plug the USB lead into a laptop (after installing the etube software, go to > e-tubeproject.shimano.com ). Once you have updated the firmware, you can via the e-tube interface change: the functions of each of the shifter buttons , speed of shift, and set-up long presses of the shifter button to multi-shift 3 or more gears at a time etc. 8)

oh really? that's interesting!
  • stan1000
    homercles wrote:
    God knows what she'll think when she sees me hooking it up to the laptop! :roll:

Ha, I had this last night, but not from my GF but from my neighbours seeing me sitting in my garage, hooked up to the bike via the laptop. I quickly shut the door as I felt a right prat :oops:
  • DrWally
    homercles wrote:

Of course my gf has already looked at me like I was mental when she saw me plugging the bike in to charge. God knows what she'll think when she sees me hooking it up to the laptop! :roll:

haha. i was thinking the same when I first powered it up. looks weird
  • homercles
    DrWally wrote:
    thanks for the suggestions. I loosened, lubricated and re-tightened every bolt in the seat tube. The clicking sound got less obvious. It's still awfully noisy though when riding uneven terrain. But maybe that's just me being paranoid now.

Anyone with a 2.0 seatpost that noticed something similar, ie, relatively noisy on 'uneven' (i'm talking minor tarmac deficiencies, not cobble stones) terrain?

edit: the 'melted part' of the frame showing right under the metal ring to mount the seat is supposed to be there and allows the seatpost to be fixed :) from up close, it just really looks as if someone put out a cigaret on the frame, bizar.

I've got the 2.0 seatpost and have to admit I haven't noticed any noises coming from there at all (and I'm a big lad, c.15st). Have you lubed it up with carbon assembly paste etc (should have been some with all of the stuff you received)? All the torque on bolts OK (7nm on the internal bolt, 5 on the post)?
  • homercles
    @drwally - sorry, just noticed you'd said you have done all of the stuff I said above. Sorry, I'm out of ideas!
  • cebebee
    cebebee Posts: 21
    homercles wrote:
    DrWally wrote:

I've got the 2.0 seatpost and have to admit I haven't noticed any noises coming from there at all (and I'm a big lad, c.15st). Have you lubed it up with carbon assembly paste etc (should have been some with all of the stuff you received)? All the torque on bolts OK (7nm on the internal bolt, 5 on the post)?

Homercles - how do you rate the ride on the 2.0 seat post? I've ordered it on mine - (due in 2 weeks - at the last check) - easy enough to set up? noticeable difference?
  • homercles
    @cebebee - I think it's excellent. Only done about 50 miles on it so far but I'm completely convinced of the benefit on the sort of pock-marked, judder-inducing surfaces that seem to characterise much of the road network in N/NW London. I was worried that being quite big I might feel flex from it but nothing like that - it just does enough to take buzz out. I'm going to get some 25mm tyres too (my early thoughts are that I don't rate the Mavic YKS ones as much as my usual GP4000s - don't feel as sure or roll as well) and with that I reckon it'll be the most comfortable (road) bike I've ever owned.

Setting it up is a little bit of a pain (the main annoyance being having to remove the entire post to tinker with saddle angle) but once done it's done. I've got the nose ever so slightly tilted down to accommodate settling in when sat on the post. Initially I had it level but it felt a bit odd.

Best thing I can say about the bike overall - be it climbing, sprinting, descending, whatever, I just didn't really notice it was there or need to think about how it was reacting. I set out to ride in an analytical, thoughtful kind of way, looking for nuances and differences from my old bike (alu/carbon Condor) and within a few miles I realised I'd forgotten all of that as everything about it just felt right. It's a massive cliche but it feels like an extension of me, albeit a lighter, stiffer, faster version! :oops:
  • ntlogin
    ntlogin Posts: 1
    I've ordered a di2 frameset through a friend on 7/8 and was pegged on CW30. It got delivered on 7/16. Looks like my order assumed my friend's slot which he cancelled because of the long wait.

Adding to difference in frameset. I have a few responses from canyon. First, there is no EPS frameset only for sale. Di2 frame is not compatible with EPS. I thought it was since there are two holes on the bottom part of the down tube. But apparently it is used to hold the internal battery.

I hope I can build it sooner.
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    the_Spooks wrote:
    Slightly confused with the differing models, is there any difference apart from the equipment level between the SLX 7,8 and 9. I note the BB is different but I assume that's due to DA, Ultegra etc. I am still very interested in the SLX 7 Di2 but if there are differences in the frame or carbon construction I may be put off.

The frame is the same across the SLX range, bar the decals and whether it's Di2 or Mech.
  • RonnieC
    RonnieC Posts: 28
    So, after I threw my toys out of the pram with Canyon and cancelled my order when they failed to deliver the bike for the third time, they got back in touch the next day. They went from telling me I would get more information in 2 weeks to telling me the bike would be readyin 2 days.
    The bike was ready for collected on Thursday 11th, and I was leaving for the Stelvio on Monday 15th after work...it was looking good. Unfortunately progress seemed to be halted over the weekend and it was getting nervy, but to my joy the bike arrived at 11am Monday morning. After waiting 5 months, the bike arrived with 7 hours to spare!
    I assembled it, stuck it on the rack and headed for Italy. I gave it the debut performance on the Stelvio...can't think of a better place! As much as I was thinking I wouldn't say it, it really was worth the wait.
  • ManxJ
    ManxJ Posts: 43
    ive not read any of this thread lol, but today i received my top cap (headset cap) after about 3 month of waiting
  • cebebee
    ManxJ wrote:
    ive not read any of this thread lol, but today i received my top cap (headset cap) after about 3 month of waiting

good news..................but have you received the bike to fit it on yet???

i'm "due" next week - after nearly 7 months.......it's beginning to sound more like a pregnancy!!!
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    homercles wrote:
    @stan1000 - Good knowledge, going to give this a whirl. I thought you had to have the Shimano SM-PCE1 interface unit to do all of that stuff (which struck me as odd/ unnecessary).

Has anyone successfully used the eTube software without Shimano's interface box?

I assume it needs a USB - miniUSB lead, such as a Garmin or Blackberry charger.

I tried to PM on this but PMs don't seem to be working.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • homercles
    @Bar Shaker

If you mean using the charger that came with the bike rather than the SM-PCE1 unit sold separately, then yes. I downloaded the etube software, installed, plugged in the charger (SM-BCR2) and it automatically installed the driver, then I was away. After identifying all of my components it suggested all needed firmware updating so did that and all went fine. Now have a fast shifting, multishift Ui2 set up, very pleased.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Ah that is a different charger to the one I have and is the hardware that the software asks for. SM-BCR2 is the internal battery charger. I have a SM-BTR1 charger.

A post earlier on this page implied that no hardware was needed.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • homercles
    Can't help there, I'm afraid. If you're referring to @stan1000's post, I guess he did the same thing as me as he says he has got the SLX 7.0 Di2 as well (so will have SM-BCR2 internal charger), but he/ someone else might be able to advise more effectively.
  • stan1000
    @ bar shaker, Sorry assumed you had the di2 with internal battery ( which is default on the canyon cf slx di2 builds)
  • cebebee
    So, i've been informed that my bike will be shipped within the next few days and to wait for UPS document..........it's been a long wait but seriously excited now.............pleeeeease don't let it be a false alarm - i couldn't cope!!!!!
  • graemeho
    graemeho Posts: 36
    So this week was finally supposed to be the week for my 8.0ES after several delays .. but guess what, I contacted them to ask for an update. Surpise surprise .. just been informed that there is another two week delay due to a shipment coming in late.

Appreciate that its difficult for these guys but .. Moral, never believe a Canyon shipment date unless its a bike in stock.

Thinking now that i may be better to wait until next year .. any advice anyone?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    A club freind of mine is also waiting for his canyon it is now late.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • da123
    da123 Posts: 27
    For anyone interested, here's a few photos of my SLX 9.0 SL. I have previously posted a photo of the stock bike immediately after I got it, but this now has a few alterations from stock, is dialled into my riding position and comes in around 5.6kg with pedals.

A long(ish) term ride report is up on Weight Weenies for those interested.

Cheers,
  • graemeho
    graemeho Posts: 36
    Nice pictures .. can not find your report on weight weenies. do you have a url link. Stilllllll waiting for my bike ..
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    geeez ... all you gotta do is look mate

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 0&t=117840
  • da123
    graemeho wrote:
    Nice pictures .. can not find your report on weight weenies. do you have a url link. Stilllllll waiting for my bike ..

Thx. It's worth the wait IMO, but I guess I would say that wouldn't I... I know a few guys who have given up, but they all wanted the bike for the race season.
  • Doty
    Doty Posts: 25
    OK, grab a cup of tea and some biscuits.... this ain't short!

I've been following this thread for a while, waiting for my SLX 9.0 Pro. As everything seems to have quietened down on here I guess the majority of you have either given up and cancelled or are too busy riding to post!

In all fairness I found Canyon UK to be very helpful and responsive, and I didn't have too long to wait (only had one 3wk additional delay from the initial stated delivery date – ordered 10th May and delivered 2wks ago – but delivery was far quicker than expected). Anyhow just wanted to share my experience of the bike so far… and ask a couple of questions about others experiences.

First off, I'm 5ft 8 and 83/84cm inside leg, so one of those ‘on the cusp’ between a Small and Med. Glad I stuck with frame size Small (as per the calculator's suggestion for 83cm inside leg). Fit is PERFECT. Although I upped the bar width to 420mm and stem length to 100mm, based on my current bike, a 53cm (Medium) Basso Astra.

The SLX is a stunning bike make no mistake. And I had no issues with the finish, build quality and fitting of components, packaging etc. But to be brutally honest after my first 10mile test ride I wasn't as blown away as I expected to be. I guess it had a lot of hype to live up to and my Basso Astra it's replacing is a great bike anyhow (well, it might be replacing it and it might not!!).

The more I rode the Ultimate the more subtle differences emerged and the more I started to love it. It’s so quiet and feels so solid for something so light. I especially love the way it handles – exceptionally sharp and responsive, but also very stable. It's definitely less comfy than the Astra – but not uncomfortable. It displays a similar amount of compliance with bigger 'hits', like potholes and sunken grids, but transmits more road vibration generally. This could be partly down to the Ritchey carbon bars on the Astra absorbing more vibration (but the trade off for more comfort is that the carbon bars are also more flexy when climbing out of the saddle). The most influencing factor could well be the SLX’s Mavic tyres V's the Ultremo's on my Astra. Anyone else found the Mavics to provide a harsh ride - even at 100psi? (I’m only 63kg)

I wasn't sure about the saddle at first. But glad I stuck with it, as after a 6hr ride on Sunday I'm now happy that my ass must be happy with it as I simply didn't notice it.

Climbing is where the SLX excels. It’s just so light!

HOWEVER, I am experiencing some worrying back brake block rub on the right hand side of the rim when climbing out of the saddle with pressure applied to the left crank. At first I thought it was a brake centering issue. Then assumed it was the Ksyrium SLRs flexing. I’d never had issues with the super stiff Campy Shamals on the Astra. But everything I read suggested the SLRs are also super stiff! So I popped the Shamal rear wheel in – same problem. Even when just indoors, if I stand to apply pressure on the left pedal while stationary leaning against a wall (with the front brake on) flex occurs that causes the right brake block to touch the rim (with a 2.5mm ish gap between block and rim). I’m now convinced (and very concerned) this is the frame flexing. Odd for a supposedly super stiff bike. I’m contacting Canyon about it, but just wondered if anyone else’s SLX does the same?
    Gonna try increasing brake block clearance, but feel I shouldn't have to.. and I’ve got a bad feeling about this! :(
  • da123
    Doty - I've not experienced the same issue with my SLX (different wheels though), but I doubt it is anything to worry about at 2.5mm clearance. It is a misconception that a reasonably 'stiff' wheel will not exhibit brake rub - a wheel with medium 'stiffness' (of which I would say the SLRs are one - a 'super' stiff wheel would be something like a Lightweight) is actually more likely to rub on the brakes than a flexy wheel, due (as I understand it, but look up the Roues Artisanales article for the actual science) to the fact that a flexy wheel flexes at the point the wheel contacts the ground, rather than at the brake blocks. This is probably why my Enves (which are certainly less stiff than your SLRs) do not exhibit any noticeable brake rub with the pads close to the rim.

Having said all this, it could of course be something different causing the rubbing. Have you tried:

- checking the hubs for play?
    - making sure the QR is clamped properly and the wheel is in completely straight?

I guess you could check the frame for obvious flex by taking the wheel out and trying to squeeze the rear triangle at the dropouts. Can you contract it by hand? How does it compare with the same test on the Astra?

Ultimately, if you can solve the problem by moving the blocks out slightly, without compromising brake function and the bike doesn't otherwise feel 'flexy', I personally wouldn't worry. Be interested to hear what Canyon have to say however!

And great review by the way.

Dave