Has anyone got the NEW 2013 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX yet?

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    there seems to be a pattern forming with these Canyon seat posts cracking. more and more have gone this way ...
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    giant man wrote:
    there seems to be a pattern forming with these Canyon seat posts cracking. more and more have gone this way ...

Yep! Lots of people joining the forum just to let us know.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • chewywahid
    chewywahid Posts: 28
    Yep! Lots of people joining the forum just to let us know.
    My first post, but I joined a month or two ago and I have bad news. After only three rides (chain gang, hilly 65 m & a century ride) the beginnings of a crack has appeared. :(

Email sent.
  • chewywahid
    Oh just to add more info - I'm seeing a deformation at the same place "tuloveu" has posted. I was using the VLCS post for the rides, but installed the 2.0 recently using a torque wrench up to 3nm only (Giant brand) and not ridden.

I don't have the box either to send it back!
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    I'm in the market for a new Canyon, but I think a couple of posts on a forum is a too quick to proclaim that they should stop selling the VCLS posts. Given how many bikes they sell a year, this doesn't look like it is a widespread problem and Canyon seem pretty good at sorting out any issues from what I can see...?
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • chewywahid
    Wow, got this response from an email I sent at 4 pm yesterday about my problem:
    Hi *******,

I have created a service order with the factory in Germany for a warranty replacement frame set.

This should arrive in the next 7-14 days . In the meantime you can continue to use the bike.

Do you require us to do the frame swap or are you happy to arrange a local shop/mechanic to do so if we send the frame set directly to you?

We will reimburse you the postage costs for return of the old frame and mechanic costs, we need a copy of the receipt in this email and your IBAN BIC SWIFT codes to process the refund.

If you require us to do the swap, I can schedule UPS to collect the bike from you and our in house mechanic can do the work. Turnaround time for service cases is currently between 2-4 weeks.

I choose to have the frame sent over as I don't have the box plus it's easier packing just the frame. I might swap the components myself as I've done it a number of times before.

I did ask if I should use the VCLS 2.0 or 1.0 seat post with the new frame. I'll post the reply here. In addition, I did say I was impressed by their after sales service.

Cheers
    Chewy
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I wonder what they are going to do with all of the cracked ones. They are basically still sound frames, it would be a pity if they were all destroyed. Canyon should apply some sort of patch to fix the cracks and then donate them to a struggling cycling team in a 3rd world country or something like that.
  • chewywahid
    neeb wrote:
    I wonder what they are going to do with all of the cracked ones. They are basically still sound frames, it would be a pity if they were all destroyed. Canyon should apply some sort of patch to fix the cracks and then donate them to a struggling cycling team in a 3rd world country or something like that.

I was thinking the same thing about the frame being structurally sound. They'll have to be destroyed unless they do indeed patch them up and sell them in their outlet section.
  • giant_man
    so are we just seeing a bad batch recently or what, I wonder?
  • chewywahid
    Response from Canyon re:seat post 2.0 or 1.0:

Either post should not pose a problem, what is your rider weight? if it is under 85kg then you should have no problems of the VCLS 2.0.

I weight just under 62kg. It is the case of a bad batch IMO.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    giant man wrote:
    so are we just seeing a bad batch recently or what, I wonder?

Who knows but you can't fault their customer care!
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • giant_man
    No you can't, I just wish their quality control was more consistent.
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Currently saving for a new bike after a crash. Really impressed with the spec of the Canyons. Does the problem relate to both the CF and CF SLX frames or is it the post? If the CF is problem free I'll take the few hundred gram weight penalty and order sooner. :)
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    Mr Dog wrote:
    Currently saving for a new bike after a crash. Really impressed with the spec of the Canyons. Does the problem relate to both the CF and CF SLX frames or is it the post? If the CF is problem free I'll take the few hundred gram weight penalty and order sooner. :)

Makes me wonder if the extra weight is to do with reinforcing the frame with a thicker layup in key areas.
  • clc2005
    clc2005 Posts: 186
    Mmm I received my Ultimate SLX ME frameset a couple of weeks ago and I am in the process of building it into a bike. Three things I have noticed are:-

- The seat tube on my frameset has 2 x relief slots machined (Fore and Aft) - Is this a recent design modification? Looking on Cyclingnews, Velonews etc. the Katusha Team bikes earlier this year only seemed to have one relief slot at the rear.

- The VCLS 1.0 post is very short (330mm), my position dictates I will have the seat post inserted to the No. 2 graduation. At this setting, the rearmost portion of the post only protrudes past the seat stay (inside the frame) by about 1 inch. I think the frame i.e. seat tube extension, would see some serious high stress if the VCLS 1.0 post was used up to its minimum insertion mark.

- The VCLS 1.0 seat post diameter and wall thickness seemed to be consistent as far as I could tell measuring using some digital vernier callipers.

I have therefore decided to use a 350 or 400 mm long Ritchey WCS Carbon 1 Bolt seat post instead of the supplied VCLS 1.0 post and see whether I get the same issue or not.

Regards

Chris
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    mikenetic wrote:
    Mr Dog wrote:

Makes me wonder if the extra weight is to do with reinforcing the frame with a thicker layup in key areas.
    The SL uses a lower modulus carbon in the lay-up so it will be thicker in places anyway in order to maintain the desired strength and stiffness. This is certain to be the primary or only reason for the higher weight. Whether there are specific additional tweaks to address problems with the SLX would need to be answered by the designers.

I received an SL with a VCLS 2.0 post 3 weeks ago. The price and spec for these is excellent. Mine is the CF SL 9.0 which is the Ultegra version. I've been very happy with the appearance and finish in the flesh not having seen one until mine arrived. Unfortunately I've only had the opportunity to do about 120km on it so far but I like it. It's very nice to ride.
    My only problem to date has been with the seatpost :(
    Last night I got out for only my second proper ride on it after about 20km the seatpost suddenly slipped. I had carefully installed it as per the instructions with assembly paste and tightened it to just under 5Nm (according to the Canyon wrench) which is the max torque allowed. My seatpost is fairly low in the seat tube. It's only about 10 or 15mm from the maximum insertion. The VCLS 2.0 seatpost starts to flares out slightly a short distance above the max insertion level and mine slid into the seat tube about 50 or 60mm until this flare out prevented it going any further. Some paint has been flaked off the seatpost as it slipped but otherwise the post and frame seem undamaged. I've cleaned and re-fitted the seatpost and will give it another ride tonight but I no longer trust it. There's no difference between the way it's fitted now and the way it was fitted when it slipped. I can't increase clamping torque any more and I'm already using assembly paste. I could potentially put a second clamp on the seatpost shaft just above the existing frame clamp but I don't think this should be necessary for normal riding on a new bike with all components as specified by the manufacturer.
    I'll give it another try tonight and then decide how to approach Canyon on the matter.
    I'm not light but I don't exceed any of the frame or post specs as far as I'm aware. Also I was riding on reasonably okay roads at the time, not hitting speed bumps or doing bunny hops.
  • tuloveu
    tuloveu Posts: 3
    ChewyWahid wrote:
    Wow, got this response from an email I sent at 4 pm yesterday about my problem:
    Hi *******,

I have created a service order with the factory in Germany for a warranty replacement frame set.

This should arrive in the next 7-14 days . In the meantime you can continue to use the bike.

Do you require us to do the frame swap or are you happy to arrange a local shop/mechanic to do so if we send the frame set directly to you?

We will reimburse you the postage costs for return of the old frame and mechanic costs, we need a copy of the receipt in this email and your IBAN BIC SWIFT codes to process the refund.

If you require us to do the swap, I can schedule UPS to collect the bike from you and our in house mechanic can do the work. Turnaround time for service cases is currently between 2-4 weeks.

I choose to have the frame sent over as I don't have the box plus it's easier packing just the frame. I might swap the components myself as I've done it a number of times before.

I did ask if I should use the VCLS 2.0 or 1.0 seat post with the new frame. I'll post the reply here. In addition, I did say I was impressed by their after sales service.

Cheers
    Chewy

Great News for "ChewyWahid" you have good change to get quick response from Canyon UK. For me not in UK and EU. I must contact them by Email and The Service Forms, At five day ago have only one thing response is auto reply email content "Many thanks for your e-mail. We will answer your request immediately." the familiar words when question about bike delivery.
  • chewywahid
    tuloveu wrote:
    Great News for "ChewyWahid" you have good change to get quick response from Canyon UK. For me not in UK and EU. I must contact them by Email and The Service Forms, At five day ago have only one thing response is auto reply email content "Many thanks for your e-mail. We will answer your request immediately." the familiar words when question about bike delivery.
    Cheers, I hope you get sorted quickly. FYI I emailed a UK canyon email and I guess less customers per service representative?

I've had some thoughts about the VCLS 2.0 post and think that it's easy to over-tighten because of the split in the post which "gives" a little. I didn't have any deformation with VCLS 1.0 post when I adjusted that a number of times. I'd welcome your thoughts?
  • Mr Dog
    Looking like a design issue with the VCLS 2 post. May still take a punt on the heavier CF and request a different post.
  • ai_1
    Mr Dog wrote:
    Looking like a design issue with the VCLS 2 post. May still take a punt on the heavier CF and request a different post.
    The CF SL series come with the standard VCLS post. the VCLS 2.0 is an option on all the Canyon roadbikes that take a standard seatpost (i.e. not the Aeroad)
  • Mr Dog
    Thanks for the info Ai... lazy of me not to check. Considering the CF SL 9 with sram force and some decent hoops at a bargain price. Just need to save a little more ;-) I assume there is no issue with the standard post?
  • ai_1
    Mr Dog wrote:
    Thanks for the info Ai... lazy of me not to check. Considering the CF SL 9 with sram force and some decent hoops at a bargain price. Just need to save a little more ;-) I assume there is no issue with the standard post?
    Haven't heard any. It's a lovely bike. I think I'm really going to enjoy mine so long as the seatpost stays put from now on!
  • tuloveu
    tuloveu Posts: 3
    ChewyWahid wrote:

Cheers, I hope you get sorted quickly. FYI I emailed a UK canyon email and I guess less customers per service representative?

I've had some thoughts about the VCLS 2.0 post and think that it's easy to over-tighten because of the split in the post which "gives" a little. I didn't have any deformation with VCLS 1.0 post when I adjusted that a number of times. I'd welcome your thoughts?

I have thought the same direction with you.
    For normal seat post or VCLS standard post its cylinder shape by one piece. When we put its into seat tube and tighten by seat clamp ring. It have forced resistance from cylinder shape of seat post make you reach to limited MAX Nm. easily.
    By the VCLS 2.0 its have 2 leaf on D-shape. In my opinion this post have subside than cylinder shape then the force resistance is lower make you reach to limited MAX Nm. harder.
    The consequence is seat clamp strapped too much the top of seat tube frame and begin to cracking.
    If my opinion is true. How can we reducing the subside of VCLS 2.0?

However some posted with VCLS standard frame cracking in same case. That show some frame for Canyon have defect. Nevertheless good frame of Canyon ultimate CF SLX must strong enough for VCLS Post 2.0

P.S. after read your posted Canyon Servicecenter response me and offered solutions same way with you.
  • yukiob
    yukiob Posts: 3
    edited May 2014
    Has anyone tried fitting one of these bigger 27.2 mm seat post clamps from Canyon to prevent cracks / deformations? - http://www.canyon.com/_en/accessories/#category=F07&id=27156

Alexander Kristoff used one these clamps on Paris-Roubaix so maybe this will provide a firmer and less stressful grip around the seat post -
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pho ... aix/260857

I just ordered one after reading about the issue in this thread. My frame is showing signs of deformations just below right of the clamp seen from behind, so I ordered the above seat clamp in hope of preventing cracks. I weigh around 78 kg and my frame has done around 2500 km.

I'll be riding a lot in this and next month and will report back how it goes with the new clamp.
  • graemeho
    graemeho Posts: 36
    Regarding the alternative seat post. Clamp. Thatt is the one that I was supplied on my recent warranty frame exchange.
    So far so good other than a little post slip. Slowly increasing the torque at 4nm now. Not taken off the clamp to see if this has fixed the problem. Will give it a few months. Cracking bike otherwise
  • clc2005
    clc2005 Posts: 186
    Kristoffs other bike (the gold one) used in the '13 tour and '14 classics had the standard collar. I think the larger collar was used at P-R to prevent slippage, some Teams use a secondary collar above the normal one.

The larger collar could be worth a punt I suppose, on the other hand it could move the problem somewhere else (i.e. lower down or to the left hand side of the seat tube extension).

See Image 30 of 32:-
    http://road.cc/content/gallery/86690-tour-tech-2013-joaquin-rodriguez-and-alexander-kristoffs-canyon-aeroad-cfs

Regards
    Chris
  • utherdoul
    utherdoul Posts: 24
    On a slight chance of topic, does anyone know how much the geometry has changed onthe 2013 / 2014 models (square tubing) compared to 2010 / 2011 (more rounded tubing)? I have the 60cm CF SLX 8.0 2010 with a 110cm stem (standard) which fits great, and am looking at the new models with their "pro" geometry, but can't find anything listed that will help me compare.
    If anyone has done an upgrade recently, how have you found the new geometry (specifically in the 60cm), or if anyone is better at googling than me, can you find any details of the older model geometries anywhere. I have tried emailing Canyon, but no response at yet.
    I'm hoping to pick something nice up in 11spd Di2 during TdF sale time:-)
  • ai_1
    I think the older geometries are still om the Canyon site. Try looking up an older model in their outlet store and see if there's a link to the original product page.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    graemeho wrote:
    Cracking bike otherwise

:lol:

still haven't got my bike back, 1 month and counting. emailed on Monday to chase and no response
  • Mr Dog
    The more I read this thread the more doubt I have about parting with my cash. Will wait and see if the guys with the cracked frames are happy with their replacements. :)