Has anyone got the NEW 2013 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX yet?

Comments

• Low-fi
    Low-fi Posts: 98
    Crozza wrote:
    Details about canyons 2014 range starting to come in. Ultimate cf sl looks interesting

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/CANYON-Eurobike-2014.html

Same geometry and features, but a different quality of carbon?
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    The rattling of cables inside the frame... did they should like a sharp "clack" when going over bumps?

I'm trying to track down the cause of that sort of noise on mine.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Low-fi wrote:
    Crozza wrote:
    Details about canyons 2014 range starting to come in. Ultimate cf sl looks interesting

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/CANYON-Eurobike-2014.html

Same geometry and features, but a different quality of carbon?

yeah looks to be what the old Ultimate CF was to the old SLX - same frame just a tiny bit heavier, cheaper kit etc. although this time it looks as if the Ultimate CF SL will also have top end gruppos

https://www.canyon.com/_en/eurobike2013 ... imate.html

new SLX version of the Ultimate AL too
  • Yes, that's the sound - it's most likely cables rattling in the frame. I could replicate mine by moving the front derailleur to its next posn by hand and suddenly letting go under the tension of the gear cable and it made a similar sound to the rattling in the frame when going over bumps.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    After taking apart and readjusting the headset my clack/crack sound has gone - I must not have installed it correctly the last time.
  • Crozza
    hmmm, starting to make me doubt whether I need the SLX SL - this is €1500 cheaper

https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bi ... ab-reiter2
  • Low-fi
    Interesting availability – only 7 weeks away if you order today too.
  • dare i ask about their TT bike range.....waiting times...
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • CF SLX 7.0 Di2 delivered yesterday and its a beaut!!

I can already see the frame is going to be a nightmare to keep clean :lol:

any suggestions for treating the frame to help keep it clean? heard somewhere about a wax you can apply? any suggestions?
  • Crozza
    just doing my daily browse of the Canyon website and it turns out that a SLX SL in stealth, size large, has just appeared in the outlet with €220 off. before I could think about it a few clicks and bosh, it's on it's way :o

with VAT off and at current exhange rates it should be just under £3k all in 8)

will be interesting to see what "minor optical defects" it has, but I'm not too worried about that
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Crozza wrote:
    will be interesting to see what "minor optical defects" it has, but I'm not too worried about that
    It'll be rubbish if you try to use it as a pair of binoculars. You'll need to have a really weird head shape to be able to look through the head tube and the bottom bracket shell at the same time. Probably a Martian-market version that was delivered to the Earth warehouse by mistake.
  • So, anyone ordering a NEW 2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Quite possibly. Still considering a few other options and waiting to see 2014 prices and availability.
  • So, anyone ordering a NEW 2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX?

Frames are the same as the 2013 model, I'm guessing?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Low-fi wrote:
    So, anyone ordering a NEW 2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX?

Frames are the same as the 2013 model, I'm guessing?
    Presumably.
    They'll update any groupsets that have changed (e.g. Ultegra 6800) and they might change the paint schemes but I'd imagine the frames will be the same and other components will be similar.
  • Crozza
    correct no changes to the SLX frame for 2014. The Sram models will defo get the new groupsets (Red 22, Force 22, Ultegra 6800 etc)

I snapped up a 2013 model off the outlet, picked it up yesterday
  • If you want the 2014 specs, albeit not in full, download their brochure;

http://www.canyon.com/eurobike2013/down ... 013_en.pdf

Prices not online until early October though.

To those that have this bike how do you rate it against the more sportive/endurance geometries out there? Thanks.
  • So no difference, but they've sold out of 2013 frames ffs sake
  • So no difference, but they've sold out of 2013 frames ffs sake
    Strange indeed as the 2013 framesets are all in their Outlet now for £85 (€100) less.
  • Probably better to buy it on the sponsorship scheme, saves about £400.
  • blaf
    blaf Posts: 7
    Guys what are the reasons I should get CF SLX over the new SL? I mean differences between SLX 2013 and SL 2014 frames. Is it worth getting the "old" SLX? Don't count that 2014 have 11 speed.
  • Crozza
    SLX is, if you believe the figures, about 150g lighter. and you can get higher specs if buying a complete bike (the SL tops out at Ultegra/Force)

as a man, I wanted to have "the best" even though the SL would have been more bike than I would ever need.
  • Best off buying what you can afford.

Anyone ordering the cross bike?
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    My understanding is that the 2013 SLX frame will remain the same for the 2014 model year.

The reasons for choosing SLX would be three fold - (i) It's the lightest/ stiffest frame Canyon produce (ii) It's their top of the range model (doesn't make it best suited to your needs!) (iii) it comes packaged with higher range groupsets and (maybe) wheelsets.

They are nearly sold out other than Campag models which mustn't appeal to Canyon customers nearly as much as Shimano equivalents. Significant discounts available on the models still in stock.

Peter
  • Low-fi
    SLX frame is identical between '13 and '14.

SL isn't as stiff – this was confirmed by their marketing manager on twitter. Same mould, different layup.

And yes, also considering their CX bike. Looking around, seems like quite a good deal.
  • LeighM
    LeighM Posts: 156
    I'm torn between the SL 9.0 and the SLX 7.0.

I'm wondering if the upgraded wheels and extra stiffness of the SLX is worth the £900 or so extra. Plus I love the "Stealth" colour scheme of the SLX.

The Aeroad 7.0 is also interesting me, but I'm not sure if I'd ever benefit from the Aero features.
    2014 Trek Madone 4.7 | 2009 Trek Fuel EX7 | Planet X Pro Carbon Track Elite
    TrainerRoad
    Strava
  • actrack
    actrack Posts: 13
    LeighM wrote:
    I'm torn between the SL 9.0 and the SLX 7.0.

I'm wondering if the upgraded wheels and extra stiffness of the SLX is worth the £900 or so extra. Plus I love the "Stealth" colour scheme of the SLX.
    Snap! I'm in exactly the same predicament although, if I'm honest, I doubt very much I would be able to tell the difference in the upgraded frame/wheels on the SLX being a newbie. If 2014 pricing remains as per last year the difference should be around £700 so not to be sniffed at. Hopefully prices will be released tomorrow (according to Canyon UK's twitter page)
  • 2014 range is now on the website. Everything looks very similar to last years, although price seems higher. In fact I'm sure prices have gone up a couple of hundred quid since I looked last night - it was late, but I'm convinced the Ultimate CD SLX 7.0 was about £2600. Its now £2799.
  • Low-fi
    2014 range is now on the website. Everything looks very similar to last years, although price seems higher. In fact I'm sure prices have gone up a couple of hundred quid since I looked last night - it was late, but I'm convinced the Ultimate CD SLX 7.0 was about £2600. Its now £2799.

Yep, this is true – they're more pricey now for sure. You can confirm by checking the same model in the clearance for the 2013 bikes.