Has anyone got the NEW 2013 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX yet?

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    you have more patience than I, jezz i'll give you that
  • My bike arrived yesterday, Team Edition, so worth the wait. Really pleased with it. Hang in there people you wont be disappointed.
  • DrWally
    DrWally Posts: 54
    I've noticed that due to the setup of the drive train (di) on the frame, you can not put a double crank on a compact frame, can anyone confirm?

oh what an idiot I have been....
  • Low-fi
    Low-fi Posts: 98
    Surely not? That would make no sense. What makes you suspect that?
  • DrWally
    first: I'm a noob when it comes to bike mechanics... still learning :) so don't shoot me if I say something retarded

but it seems that de location where the front derailleur is mounted to the frame, is fixed? If you install a double (larger ring), shouldn't this location shift up a little?
  • DrWally
    it would also me consistent with the fact that their bike model sell out on either compact or double...?
  • Low-fi
    You'll be fine: it's on a hex but that you can undo and move up and down.
  • DrWally
    :D I just found out indeed.

thanks! panicked and fell down to the floor in tears for a minute. Quite a relieve.
  • Low-fi
    Great! Saves me trying to upload a photo for you :D
  • DrWally
    well, keep you camera at hand, I would say. I haven't even touched a wrench to effectively try and switch the crank. The potential for things to go hazardously wrong is huge. HUGE.

I do have torque wrenches tho, two, I'm a f*cking pro B)
  • Low-fi
    I'm all for home spannering, but I'd be on the phone to the bike shop booking it in at this point!
  • DrWally
    well. me too. But I want to learn. Especially now that I'll be riding an internet brand, I just don't want to go through the whole "they are putting us out of business"-preach every time :) , which I understand. But I made the choice.

but, don't worry Low-Fi, I read a book about it (Zinn), WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?! ( ;) )
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    If you change the mech height you might need a new alloy patch to put on the seat tube for the small stabiliser screw of the Di2 mech.
  • Low-fi
    DrWally wrote:
    well. me too. But I want to learn. Especially now that I'll be riding an internet brand, I just don't want to go through the whole "they are putting us out of business"-preach every time :) , which I understand. But I made the choice.

but, don't worry Low-Fi, I read a book about it (Zinn), WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?! ( ;) )

Lol. I had to sort out the yaw on my red front derailler last night. Naturally, I did it after a couple of beers. Nothing has gone wrong, but I've not ridden it yet :D
  • DrWally
    Low-fi wrote:
    DrWally wrote:

Lol. I had to sort out the yaw on my red front derailler last night. Naturally, I did it after a couple of beers. Nothing has gone wrong, but I've not ridden it yet :D

a couple of beers you say... mmm... interesting.
  • DrWally
    If you change the mech height you might need a new alloy patch to put on the seat tube for the small stabiliser screw of the Di2 mech.

I have no idea what you are talking about so I will ignore it for now and pretend as if I have a flawless process ahead of me. I'll likely get back to you when that bubble has burst.

but first: THOSE BEERS
  • Regarding the cracked seat stay. My mate bought an aeroad CF 9. back in may. He had only been riding it for
    three weeks leading up to a Majorca trip. He noticed a crack in the chainstay(drive side).

He eventually got a new frame, but the guy at Canyon U.K was initially trying to say it had been crashed!
  • anyone dare answer this question....

When will the new Speedmax be available ?..(don't say july/aug lol)
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • DrWally wrote:

I have no idea what you are talking about so I will ignore it for now and pretend as if I have a flawless process ahead of me. I'll likely get back to you when that bubble has burst.

but first: THOSE BEERS

I wouldn't ignore this, you'll end up with a cracked seat tube.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • DrWally
    I've decided to keep the compact ;)
  • stan1000
    stan1000 Posts: 49
    stan1000 wrote:
    Cebebee, its not just you, I got a similarly worded email update from Canyon.......and my order has been delayed again

To summarise:
    Originally ordered week 14 -Initial delivery set as week 19
    delayed to wk 25 (in wk 18)
    delayed to wk 27 (in wk 25)
    delayed to wk 31 (in wk 26)

Thats ~3 months of delay, seriously hacked off now ... FFS

Finally my bike has been shipped! Its now somewhere between me and Brussels :D

It better be worth the wait :D
  • cebebee
    cebebee Posts: 21
    stan1000 wrote:
    stan1000 wrote:
    Cebebee, its not just you, I got a similarly worded email update from Canyon.......and my order has been delayed again

To summarise:
    Originally ordered week 14 -Initial delivery set as week 19
    delayed to wk 25 (in wk 18)
    delayed to wk 27 (in wk 25)
    delayed to wk 31 (in wk 26)

Thats ~3 months of delay, seriously hacked off now ... FFS

Finally my bike has been shipped! Its now somewhere between me and Brussels :D

It better be worth the wait :D

Nice one stan1000 - and 2 weeks early (of sorts).....bet Caynon are giving themselves a pat on the back!!!

They're still telling me they'll start building the stealth 9.0 Pro Mediums in wk 30 and ship wk 31. fingers crossed!

Bet it starts pi55ing with rain as soon as mine arrives!
  • head_bike_02.png
    £8700!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    I'm slightly tempted by the idea of getting one of these from the Outlet (seconds and lightly used bikes) - not much of a money saving but at least no waiting.

Not referring to the limited edition one just to be clear.
  • DrWally
    soooo, FINALLY got around taking it for a test drive.

there's an annoying cracking sound coming from the seat tube (post?). On closer inspection, there's a little piece of carbon literally melted away (say a 2mm spot) on the top of the seat tube, right under the metal ring to mount the seat post. I don't know whether is has something to do with the cracking sounds (which are only present when in the saddle, not when riding out of the saddle). Cracking sounds become worse when speed was increased (pretty scary on the descent!).

also the superficial finishing of the frame is far from perfect. The stealth color has some irregularities that imo are definitely not supposed to be there.

As for the ride quality: well I found it hard to enjoy because I hate it when new gear sounds as if it was picked of a garbage belt, but ignoring that: The bike's natural habitat is clearly mountainous terrain (unfortunately nothing like that around here), or very steep hills that you can climb out of the saddle. Then it's quite responsive, and as mentioned before, it's fun to give it that extra push. On the flat, these characteristics are pretty useless of course. I like the steering, it's a bit twitchy, but in a way that it stays fun. Makes for an exciting ride. The di-system shifts flawlessly, but I do miss being able to shift several gears with just one push (I guess the 11 speed DA di does have that ability?)

Real unfortunate the bike was so noisy (not only the cracking, but in general, like an annoying buzz coming from the right shifter, of which I just can't seem to find where it comes from) it's really quite annoying, especially on the crappy Belgian roads. .

anywayyyyy, cracking seat tube... big problem, scary, not good, very disappointing.

i'm awaiting Canyon's reply, but I'm seriously considering simply returning it. To be honest, the expectations were very high based on those awesome reviews, a bit too high, apparently.

i'll keep you posted about what was causing it.
  • DrWally
    mm just noticed that the 30day-return period ended today (I was 2 weeks abroad when delivery finally took place and had a extremely busy period until this very week). CRAP. This will back fire.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    head_bike_02.png
    £8700!
    and you have to wait until December to ride the thing, very nice though
  • the_spooks
    the_spooks Posts: 190
    Slightly confused with the differing models, is there any difference apart from the equipment level between the SLX 7,8 and 9. I note the BB is different but I assume that's due to DA, Ultegra etc. I am still very interested in the SLX 7 Di2 but if there are differences in the frame or carbon construction I may be put off.
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    the_Spooks wrote:
    Slightly confused with the differing models, is there any difference apart from the equipment level between the SLX 7,8 and 9. I note the BB is different but I assume that's due to DA, Ultegra etc. I am still very interested in the SLX 7 Di2 but if there are differences in the frame or carbon construction I may be put off.

The frame is the same across the SLX range, bar the decals and whether it's Di2 or Mech.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    DrWally wrote:
    soooo, FINALLY got around taking it for a test drive.

there's an annoying cracking sound coming from the seat tube (post?). On closer inspection, there's a little piece of carbon literally melted away (say a 2mm spot) on the top of the seat tube, right under the metal ring to mount the seat post. I don't know whether is has something to do with the cracking sounds (which are only present when in the saddle, not when riding out of the saddle). Cracking sounds become worse when speed was increased (pretty scary on the descent!).

also the superficial finishing of the frame is far from perfect. The stealth color has some irregularities that imo are definitely not supposed to be there.

As for the ride quality: well I found it hard to enjoy because I hate it when new gear sounds as if it was picked of a garbage belt, but ignoring that: The bike's natural habitat is clearly mountainous terrain (unfortunately nothing like that around here), or very steep hills that you can climb out of the saddle. Then it's quite responsive, and as mentioned before, it's fun to give it that extra push. On the flat, these characteristics are pretty useless of course. I like the steering, it's a bit twitchy, but in a way that it stays fun. Makes for an exciting ride. The di-system shifts flawlessly, but I do miss being able to shift several gears with just one push (I guess the 11 speed DA di does have that ability?)

Real unfortunate the bike was so noisy (not only the cracking, but in general, like an annoying buzz coming from the right shifter, of which I just can't seem to find where it comes from) it's really quite annoying, especially on the crappy Belgian roads. .

anywayyyyy, cracking seat tube... big problem, scary, not good, very disappointing.

i'm awaiting Canyon's reply, but I'm seriously considering simply returning it. To be honest, the expectations were very high based on those awesome reviews, a bit too high, apparently.

i'll keep you posted about what was causing it.

I had a clicking noise on my carbon cannondale. Traced it to the carbon seat rail clamp on the Easton seatpost. Just needed doing up tighter. The sound actually sounded like it was coming from the front of the bike as the noise travelled through the frame.