Has anyone got the NEW 2013 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX yet?

Comments

• Low-fi
    Low-fi Posts: 98
    stan1000 wrote:
    Low-fi wrote:

Stealth 9.0 SL (SRAM Red), compact cranks, in medium. I suspect my cassette swap is confusing them! (didn't want/need the 11-28, so swapped it for the 11-25).

Thats interesting because I changed the cassette to 11-25 too, really hope thats not the reason for the delay, although you are SRAM and I'm Shimano, so perhaps not

Looks like it might be. I spoke to a really helpful chat at Canyon UK, asking if he had an update. My bike is being in the process of being built/it's in the assembly area, but because I have changed the cassette it has to go 20km down the road ( :shock: ) to the other bit of Canyon who'll change the cassette. Which – obviously – adds time and therefore delay...no promises for this week.
  • stan1000
    stan1000 Posts: 49
    German efficiency for you B-)
  • Low-fi
    stan1000 wrote:
    German efficiency for you B-)

Talk about a massive facepalm. I can understand the principle, but from a kanban/lean perspective, it's madness.
  • RonnieC
    RonnieC Posts: 28
    I e-mailed Canyon today for a status on my Stealth Large 8.0 today which was due Week 14, then Week 22 and now Week 27. The guy assured me it was still scheduled for Week 27, but didn't exactly fill me full of confidence given their track record of announcing delays late in the day.

I asked him if they had stock of all the required parts on site, as they will have to start assembling the bike in the next few days - if it's planned to ship on Monday 1st July. They managed to reply to the first e-mail within 10 minutes...however, I've been waiting several hours for a more detailed reply.

I might be wrong, but I get the feeling that they are just fobbing me off and will give me the bad news nearer the delivery date!

As someone said earlier, if this is what their customer service is like before they've even got our money - what are they going to be like once we've paid and have a complaint?
  • cyprids
    cyprids Posts: 21
    Skerryman wrote:
    My UPS tracking label finally started to update with tracking info last night. Bike apparently left Tamworth this morning so hoping to have it tomorrow I reckon.

@Dr. Wally - There is a good review on Road.cc linked below. Also a good review by Marcel Wust on this months Procycling magazine (pointed out by someone on a previous page), both of which give very good impressions of the bike.
    http://road.cc/content/review/85070-can ... -slx-90-sl

Also, regarding people waiting on sales on this years models, I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if they started knocking money off a bike that the can barely meet order for as it is, just wouldn't make sense. Bar the addition to the new Ultegra and SRAM red groupsets to the range I can't see them updating much in November either. DA 9000 is just out, not sure what new groupsets Campag have in the pipeline.

Finally, the preference of Aeroroad over SLX (or vice-versa) is up to the rider. As far as I can tell several Katusha riders have had wins on the SLX so far this season, Kristoff had a couple, Paolini wore the Maglia Rosa on a pink one, and some other lad had a win only last week. I'd doubt that if the riders had a problem with the bike that they'd force some riders to ride it just to keep Canyon happy.

At least Ultegra 6800 should be available june/july so that should be time enough for Canyon to include this groupset in the next years line-up if they want :)
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    I'm hoping my DA9000 version is relatively future proofed. First ride there, came home assembled bike and went for 60km spin. Different league that my Cube alu bike. DA 9000 is unbelievable, shifts perfect every time with minimum effort, love it. Obligatory kitchen shot taken with phone below, poor enough shot but will try post up better ones tomorrow and give a better impression of bike when I have more time if anyone is interested.

It's definitely worth the wait if that's any consolation to those who are still experiencing delays, I feel your pain.

IMAG0978.jpg
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    Awesome mate and what a lovely machine it is - looks pukker 8) Now tell me that weren't worth the wait. :lol: Oh you said it was worth the wait didn't ya :D

Are you happy with the finish and fit of the bike Skerryman?
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • DrWally
    DrWally Posts: 54
    Skerryman wrote:
    I'm hoping my DA9000 version is relatively future proofed. First ride there, came home assembled bike and went for 60km spin. Different league that my Cube alu bike. DA 9000 is unbelievable, shifts perfect every time with minimum effort, love it. Obligatory kitchen shot taken with phone below, poor enough shot but will try post up better ones tomorrow and give a better impression of bike when I have more time if anyone is interested.

It's definitely worth the wait if that's any consolation to those who are still experiencing delays, I feel your pain.

IMG

looks rad! easy choice of DA over UltegraDI? or did it take you some time as well?
  • Skerryman
    chigman wrote:
    Awesome mate and what a lovely machine it is - looks pukker 8) Now tell me that weren't worth the wait. :lol: Oh you said it was worth the wait didn't ya :D

Are you happy with the finish and fit of the bike Skerryman?

Definitely worth the wait mate. Couldn't find fault with the finish, beautifully done. Can't get over how light it is.

Put it together in a bit of a rush last night (obviously double checked all was tightened properly) but just eye-balled the fit and rushed out the door as a mate was calling for a spin. Saddle was a couple of cm high, which I really noticed a bit into the spin, and it was a bit further back than is should. Did some measurements off my old bike set-up and after putting saddle down a touch I just had to move it forward a tiny bit to get the reach the same so that should be a big improvement over yesterdays test ride. Not sure I'm getting on with that saddle but I'm gonna withhold judgement until I have a spin with the new set-up. Have a Romin on my old bike which I've always got along with so might have to hit the credit card again :D Gonna get a proper bike fit next week, just want to wait to see if I need new saddle cos I'd rather get it done with new one than have to go changing it after the fit.
  • Skerryman
    DrWally wrote:
    Skerryman wrote:

IMG

looks rad! easy choice of DA over UltegraDI? or did it take you some time as well?

Thanks man. I mulled over Di2 at the start but figured that I had to try DA once and this was a good opportunity to do so. Read the review of it which all said the shift was as good as Di2 and, and although I haven't tried Di2 myself, the DA shifts are super smooth and the effort required to make a shift is way less than my old Ultegra. Can make a shift no problem from the hoods with a gentle push at the top of the brake lever and the shifts from small ring to big are super smooth and fast too, love it.

It's my first full carbon bike so once it gets set-up properly and I get a few more spins in I'll be fully acquainted and can give a better impression, but it's blown me away so far and I', sure there's more to come. Definitely worth the wait.
  • chigman
    Regarding the saddle skerryman, I'm just getting used to mine now. I'm getting less sore with each ride. I have come from a charge spoon on my hybrid. Give it time and what with the bike fit, you might just come to love it.

Have you weighed the bike at all?
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    You will probably change the saddle anyway, both of you. Good to see you got yours through, skerryman.
  • Skerryman
    chigman wrote:
    Regarding the saddle skerryman, I'm just getting used to mine now. I'm getting less sore with each ride. I have come from a charge spoon on my hybrid. Give it time and what with the bike fit, you might just come to love it.

Have you weighed the bike at all?

The saddle being a touch too high definitely contributed. I'll definitely give it another few goes. I do love my Romin though so it has a lot to live up to.

Don't have a scales but I'm hoping to borrow one and get it weighted in the next few days.

Cheers Giant Man, still hard to believe its here after the wait. It best be dry this weekend :D
    Have you experience of this saddle, if so how did you find it?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    edited June 2013
    No skerryman I haven't had experience of that particular saddle, but when you think about it, the chances of a saddle that comes with a bike - any bike - suiting you and your ar*e are pretty low.

EDIT just seen that it's a Selle Italia SLR, so yes I did have this saddle once but sold it, not right for me
  • chigman
    Skerryman wrote:
    It best be dry this weekend :D

You are aving a laugh aint ya :D Your in the west of Ireland man :lol:
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • jezco
    jezco Posts: 6
    Got email today from Canyon that my delivery for week 25 is still on.

"Your expected delivery date is in the Calenderweek 25.
    We can´t give an more exactly delivery date, because bikes are bulky goods and the shipping way will be between 3 and 7 days."

Still have my hopes up for getting the bike to Finland next week.
  • Skerryman
    chigman wrote:
    Skerryman wrote:

Very true, but I can always hope. Number 5 in Lonely Planets top places to cycle in the world, pity it's pi$$ing rain pretty much always :)
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Skerryman wrote:
    chigman wrote:
    Skerryman wrote:

Very true, but I can always hope. Number 5 in Lonely Planets top places to cycle in the world, pity it's pi$$ing rain pretty much always :)
    Well having done the "Tour de Conamara" on a stunning hot and sunny summer's day last year I can vouch for the beautiful terrain. It's a fantastic place to cycle, especially when the weather's good. This year of course, the same event was 5 hours of chilly rain!
    Unfortunately the weather forecast for this weekend ain't looking great. Sunday afternoon is currently predicted to be the driest period but it's likely to be cool and windy regardless of the rain.

Glad you're enjoying the bike.
  • Low-fi
    Apologies for what is to come: I'm livid :x

After phoning Canyon UK (who I believe are about as in the dark about all of these delays as we are, at times) earlier in the week to confirm shipment this week/early next and getting a positive response, I thought it best to confirm shipping today in week 25...my binding but "not binding" delivery date.

After speaking to a member of the UK team, he's told me that there are a number of other bikes with changes (I've gone for a cassette change) that are at the end of the build cycle for this model. Mine's the final bike they're building. It turns out that they're not going to get around to shipping it until the 5th July, which is another two week delay.

The things I'm upset about about: I've had to do the asking every time about delays; the news of these delays come right at the end of the time period when they can tell me, not before; I've had no comms from Canyon before; I don't get to ride this amazing bike for at least two weeks.

I'm not angry with the UK team, as I get the impression that they don't get push updates from Germany at all, and it's only when customers start to smell delays and they dig do they find out.

For every delay, I'm losing value on this bike, through either riding time, or the 2014 models getting closer. I've had to move a bike fit 3 times now to accommodate, and the fitter has a 6+ week wait for appointments.

Apologies for polluting what's been a good thread of late with a rant...
  • stan1000
    Low-fi wrote:

It turns out that they're not going to get around to shipping it until the 5th July, which is another two week delay.

Ar5e! I better get in touch with them, I've had no comms this week from them either :evil:
  • cebebee
    cebebee Posts: 21
    Low-fi wrote:

It turns out that they're not going to get around to shipping it until the 5th July, which is another two week delay.

Dude -that sucks more than the suckiest suck that ever sucked!!!!!!!! (to quote Homer Simpson)

I'm still (a claimed) 2 weeks from shipping (when I'll already be in the Alps) but obviously not convinced they'll ship even then!

just checked - I'll only be 6 hour drive from the Canyon factory - if I thought the "hand-brake" would let me I'd pay them a visit personally - but reckon she'll politely decline!!! :?
  • Low-fi
    cebebee wrote:
    Low-fi wrote:

Dude -that sucks more than the suckiest suck that ever sucked!!!!!!!! (to quote Homer Simpson)

I'm still (a claimed) 2 weeks from shipping (when I'll already be in the Alps) but obviously not convinced they'll ship even then!

just checked - I'll only be 6 hour drive from the Canyon factory - if I thought the "hand-brake" would let me I'd pay them a visit personally - but reckon she'll politely decline!!! :?

Perhaps you should phone Canyon and offer to build the bike yourself :)

It's the drip-feed of information that's killing me.
  • cebebee
    cebebee Posts: 21
    Low-fi wrote:
    cebebee wrote:
    Low-fi wrote:

Perhaps you should phone Canyon and offer to build the bike yourself :)

It's the drip-feed of information that's killing me.

same old story - you call for an update and get hit with another delay - i'm almost afriad to ask!

i'll take my toolkit to Koblenz, build both our bikes up and charge them £400 per bike for my time!

.............you might wanna check i haven't put it together back to front when it arrives though!! :lol:
  • stan1000
    Shock horror they have just rung me! (after I emailed them) to tell me of the extra delay of 1-2 weeks. They have knocked off the cost of a few extras I had originally ordered as extra comp though (chain catcher, rear hanger oh & bike box), equating to about £40....this added to the jersey and bib tights they are already sending...... woo hoo. :-(
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Low-fi wrote:
    After speaking to a member of the UK team, he's told me that there are a number of other bikes with changes (I've gone for a cassette change) that are at the end of the build cycle for this model. Mine's the final bike they're building. It turns out that they're not going to get around to shipping it until the 5th July, which is another two week delay.

FFS

even I could change a cassette in less than 2 weeks :wink:
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    I've emailed Canyon(UK) today and they claim I'm still to expect my bike next week, hope so.
  • Low-fi
    stan1000 wrote:
    Shock horror they have just rung me! (after I emailed them) to tell me of the extra delay of 1-2 weeks. They have knocked off the cost of a few extras I had originally ordered as extra comp though (chain catcher, rear hanger oh & bike box), equating to about £40....this added to the jersey and bib tights they are already sending...... woo hoo. :-(

Did they give a reason?
  • stan1000
    Low-fi wrote:
    stan1000 wrote:

Did they give a reason?

They guy told me they had all components but were awaiting a new batch of frames off production.
  • Low-fi
    stan1000 wrote:
    They guy told me they had all components but were awaiting a new batch of frames off production.

Head, meet desk.
  • Skerryman
    Sickened to hear about further delays for ye guys, was looking good there for a while when there was no real posts going up about delays from Canyon over the last week or so. Hope ye get sorted soon.

I posted up some new pics of my 8.0 in the 'Your Road Bikes' Forum. Figured I'd post them there and link here. Might be too soon for some folks who have just got bad news for me to go posting up pics of my SLX here considering the posts above.

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12928624