Has anyone got the NEW 2013 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX yet?

Comments

• jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    Ok cool, so it'll most likely fail, but they are used to it and have contingency plan to extract your money.
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    Does anyone know how the Canyon jersey and Bibshorts come up size wise? Think they are made by Vermarc. I know a couple of people here were offered some as compo for delays. I take a large in Giordana but they size quite small.
  • Useraid
    Useraid Posts: 42
    For me payment was taken just before delivery.

Could anyone comment on the frame finish picture I posted above? Just need a little more reassurance if I am definitely going to keep the bike, would be very grateful thanks!
  • jezzpalmer
    Useraid wrote:

Could anyone comment on the frame finish picture I posted above? Just need a little more reassurance if I am definitely going to keep the bike, would be very grateful thanks!

Which bit are you concerned about?

There is a little dark mark next to the top right hand side of the 'C' of Canyon, which might be a blemish.
    The rest (the feathering along the top) is just how UD carbon looks, not a blemish IMO.

As for bib short sizing, I wear medium (5'7" 60Kg) in Assos and also the Canyon; the sent me small and medium but the small is a bit too snug for my liking.
    The tops came up a bit big though, compared to Castelli.
  • Useraid
    Useraid Posts: 42
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    Useraid wrote:

There is a little dark mark next to the top right hand side of the 'C' of Canyon, which might be a blemish.
    The rest (the feathering along the top) is just how UD carbon looks, not a blemish IMO.

As for bib short sizing, I wear medium (5'7" 60Kg) in Assos and also the Canyon; the sent me small and medium but the small is a bit too snug for my liking.

Yes that is what I thought as well, but when I saw j8hnb saying:

"No blemishes or carbon weave showing or patches etc"

I was just wondering if his frame is somehow flawless and if any others share that view.
  • Skerryman
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    Useraid wrote:

Thanks for that. I'm around 5'11" myself and 65kgs ish. You reckon the medium would be too small judging by your own? I reckon the legs might be ok as long as the straps weren't too tight for my height, I have skinny (read toned) legs. Don't like jerseys too baggy so might go for medium in that, seeing as you said they come up a bit big. No Castelli stuff to compare to myself.
  • jezzpalmer
    TBH I've only worn them a couple of times over the winter on the rollers so can't remember them fully, I'll have a look later.
    You could try asking them for both sizes.
  • Skerryman
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    TBH I've only worn them a couple of times over the winter on the rollers so can't remember them fully, I'll have a look later.

Sound,... let me know if you get a chance to have a gander later. If not I might take a punt on the medium, or chance asking them to send medium and large.
  • Low-fi
    Low-fi Posts: 98
    I think wiggle have some size guides you use.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Useraid wrote:
    ......Yes that is what I thought as well, but when I saw j8hnb saying:

"No blemishes or carbon weave showing or patches etc"

I was just wondering if his frame is somehow flawless and if any others share that view.
    Do you know which colour scheme j8hnb has?
    I was under the impression that the stealth scheme is unpainted except for some red and black highlights and the deep black & white scheme is fully painted. That's certainly how it appears on the Canyon website.
    If so then those with a stealth frame will obviously have carbon showing whereas others will not. Visible carbon on an unpainted carbon frame is not a "blemish" unless there's more to it than that.
  • Low-fi
    I would imagine there will be some light lacquering though – it looks like that hasn't quite bonded to the carbon.
  • joelio22
    joelio22 Posts: 11
    Useraid - I think you need some perspective. You are harping on about some inconsequential, barely visible 'blemishes' on your bike which you have actually received (somehow), less than 2 weeks after you ordered it.
    Some people have waited 6 months for theirs - many others, like me, have not yet received ours, and quite frankly, it's a little frustrating reading about the fact that there's some lacquer missing on your frame, or that you have some scuffs to the inside of your dropouts. For heaven's sake, just get out and ride the damn thing and stop moaning about it - at least you have a bike!
  • the_spooks
    the_spooks Posts: 190
    Genuinely interested in one of the Di2 equipped SLX 7's but the scare stories of 3 months waiting OVER the due date is so off putting. They look great though and are very good VFM........... Desicions desicions
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    These mass produced bikes are built and priced to sell.

Demand outstrips supply as does often happen with anything popular. The odd blemish or scuff is bound to occur at this level, but at the prices Canyon are asking, does it really matter? No. You guys have waited long enough surely.

Just ride your bike and enjoy it, cos at the end of the day, that is the only thing that matters imo.
  • jezzpalmer
    Skerryman wrote:
    jezzpalmer wrote:

Sound,... let me know if you get a chance to have a gander later. If not I might take a punt on the medium, or chance asking them to send medium and large.

I've just tried them, the straps are pretty stretchy (more so than my other bibs) so a medium would most likely be ok, legs are a good fit.
    A large might be better as long as the legs & arse aren't baggy.
  • Skerryman
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    Skerryman wrote:
    jezzpalmer wrote:

I've just tried them, the straps are pretty stretchy (more so than my other bibs) so a medium would most likely be ok, legs are a good fit.
    A large might be better as long as the legs & ars* aren't baggy.

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I might try the Medium in the bibs and jersey so. I have skinny enough legs and also prefer jerseys to be reasonably snug. The lad from Canyon reckons that the Vermarc stuff is fairly regular fit.
  • Low-fi
    I went for medium. I'm medium rapha, and they're hardly known for a generous fit...
  • Skerryman
    Low-fi wrote:
    I went for medium. I'm medium rapha, and they're hardly known for a generous fit...

What height/ build are you? I usually wear Giordana stuff and they come up small so I take Large in jersey and shorts. According to Canyon their stuff is more of a regular fit.
  • Low-fi
    Skerryman wrote:
    Low-fi wrote:

What height/ build are you? I usually wear Giordana stuff and they come up small so I take Large in jersey and shorts. According to Canyon their stuff is more of a regular fit.

177cm tall, 82.5 inside leg, broadish shoulders. Large is too large, whereas medium is "snug", but aero ;)
  • Skerryman
    Low-fi wrote:
    Skerryman wrote:
    Low-fi wrote:

177cm tall, 82.5 inside leg, broadish shoulders. Large is too large, whereas medium is "snug", but aero ;)

Sound. Went for the mediums, will see how they work out. Prefer snug myself, makes me feel faster at least. whether I am or not. Nothing worse than a flappy jersey (pretty sure there is but still annoying).
  • Low-fi
    Skerryman wrote:
    Low-fi wrote:
    Skerryman wrote:
    Low-fi wrote:

Sound. Went for the mediums, will see how they work out. Prefer snug myself, makes me feel faster at least. whether I am or not. Nothing worse than a flappy jersey (pretty sure there is but still annoying).

Squeaky pedals ;)
  • RonnieC
    RonnieC Posts: 28
    Has anyone had any joy getting something other than the bibs and shirt? I'm a bit miffed that they are fobbing off some old stock on us, I've got plenty of kit already...
    I would have thought that a voucher for their store would be more appropriate, so that we could choose something that we actually need - eg. a new pair of pedals almost all of us are going to shell out for.
  • joelio22
    joelio22 Posts: 11
    RonnieC wrote:
    Has anyone had any joy getting something other than the bibs and shirt? I'm a bit miffed that they are fobbing off some old stock on us, I've got plenty of kit already...
    I would have thought that a voucher for their store would be more appropriate, so that we could choose something that we actually need - eg. a new pair of pedals almost all of us are going to shell out for.

Hi. I received email last week offering the jersey and bibs and asking for my size. They also offered limited edition Oakley M-frame glasses with fire iridium lenses. I emailed back saying that I was medium, but that I'd rather have a flexy seatpost instead of kit :)

They then emailed a confirmation of order of med jersey and bibs and Oakley glasses, all at £0.00 (clearly didnt take the hint!) Delivery was down as week 32! (I wonder if I'll have my bike by then - s'posed to be week 27 (from wk 16)

We should all make sure we all get the same level of compensation, otherwise it's just not fair is it really..?
  • jezco
    jezco Posts: 6
    Hi!

First post here..

I went from week 13 to week 25 with my order of 7.0 DI2 made in feb. Ordered black and white size M. So far I've received bibs and shirt and the pocket book as compensation. Should I ask for the Oakleys too?
  • cebebee
    cebebee Posts: 21
    Also first time post but have been keeping tabs on this string since it was only 3 pages long!!
    My story;
    9 Jan - ordered SLX 9 Pro in Stealth Medium (I was right on the cusp between Small and Medium) - given WK 21 delivery
    Last month received all the delays emails as everyone else did.
    Delivery bumped to WK 25 so not a massive delay (yet!)- disappointed as will not have it for Alps trip but I knew that it was going to be a close call at time of ordering so not the end of the world. Will have to take "old faithful". It will be something for me to look forward to on my return.
    BUT lucky, lucky me................I got my free Canyon scarf in the post yesterday!! I can tell that those who didn't get one are really jealous now!!!!

Just wanted to give a shout out to you guys who have been bumped for 2-3 months plus. Gotta be tough but I know we're all sure it'll be worth the wait!
  • Low-fi
    Good to hear. Congrats on the scarf! ;)

You mentioned you're in-between small and medium – what are you vital statistics?
  • Skerryman
    I got the email last week saying that a letter will arrive and a new date will be quoted and a free scarf also. I emailed on the day and was informed that the mail was sent in error and that my date hasn't changed. Then I get an email from Canyon this Monday stating that my order is ready to be shipped and will be handed over to UPS in the next 48 hours. Cue me doing small victory dance, frantically transferring money to relevant card, ordering pedals etc. Noticed order number was different than original order no. for bike and rang/ emailed both Canyon Germany and UK but no joy. Tweeted Canyon and was told it looks like my bike will be ready early and to enjoy it. Was informed the following day that the order that was about to be shipped was my free Canyon scarf. I was peeved to say the least.

Of course I was going to think I was getting my bike when I received an email saying my order was ready to ship, I never ordered anything else from Canyon why would I think otherwise, and I most definitely didn't order a scarf in the middle of the hottest week we've had here in years. On the bright side at least my pedals will be here in time.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Useraid wrote:

The white/light marks are air voids in the carbon. They are hardest to eliminate in areas where the weave must be bent to sharp edge shapes. Carbon weave does not like doing this. If they are in a stressed area, they can cause the weave layers to de-laminate but normally these defects are just unsightly.

It will still be there on the painted ones, you just won't see it. In fact the worst frames will be the ones that get diverted to the paint shop, leaving the best ones to be sold as nakeds.

With regard to the fork drain holes, I would plug the steerer tube. If water gets into the forks, it will not all leak out of the drain holes and it will seep into the carbon material. This will cause an unsightly milky stain that cannot be removed.

I used to supply carbon fibre spoilers so have seen these problems many times. We all want our new toys NOW but the factory will be making perfect frames so I would insist on one of them.

Shipping out bikes that have been ridden and saying they are tested for a few km is just not on. Has it been rejected and returned, was it used on a press demo weekend and thrashed down a badly surfaced mountain road? New bikes are not road tested for a few km before being stripped and boxed up. That's just lies.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • cebebee
    cebebee Posts: 21
    Cheers Low-fi, looking forward to wearing the scarf this weekend!!!

i'm 5'9 with 80 inside leg. The measuring tool had me on a small but when i put in 81 inside leg it suggested a medium.

My current steed is a medium and having taken a tapemeasure to it, there wasn't much between that and the SLX. Also i've done 5+ hour rides on a number of occasions with no discomfort so figured i'd stick to Medium. There's always places to tweak half a cm here and there if required!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    sounds good to me.