Has anyone got the NEW 2013 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX yet?

Comments

• ste1975
    ste1975 Posts: 14
    DrWally wrote:
    ste1975 wrote:
    My bike is now with UPS and should be here by Monday. Whoooooooooooooooooo 8) 8) 8) 8)

Mine shipped on Wednesday and arrived early this evening complete with a nice free pair of Oakley M Frame Sweep limited edition sunglasses. :) Oh and still awaiting a Jersey and bib shorts. Also gratis. :lol:

You also got an Oakley sunglasses as part of the delay compensation? Is this a UK thing? When did you place your order.?

DrWally,

I ordered my bike back in mid December and I was given a week 11 despatch date. So the delay was 9 weeks in total.

The compensation I received had nothing to do with the country I reside in. It is simply a case of how much I was prepared to complain in order to get free stuff out of them. If you say nothing and just accept the delays, then it is simple, you will get just that "nothing".

Regards,

Stephen.
  • ste1975
    Does anyone know why Canyon don't sell to the USA?

Look565wong,

The USA is one country that has a lot of so called "red tape" and my understanding is that Canyon want to become the most coveted brand in Europe before moving sales in to the US market.

Regards,

Stephen.
  • RhodOnABike
    RhodOnABike Posts: 25
    Also they are unbelievably litigation happy and will sue for anything at all! Canyon would run a huge financial risk selling there and would have to ramp up their prices so much, especially for shipping, that the value benefit of buying from canyon would be taken out of the equation. The point about litigation is also why canyon would be posses at you for re-selling your bike on to someone in the US!
  • DrWally
    DrWally Posts: 54
    ste1975 wrote:
    My bike is now with UPS and should be here by Monday. Whoooooooooooooooooo 8) 8) 8) 8)
    Mine shipped on Wednesday and arrived early this evening complete with a nice free pair of Oakley M Frame Sweep limited edition sunglasses. :) Oh and still awaiting a Jersey and bib shorts. Also gratis. :lol:
    You also got an Oakley sunglasses as part of the delay compensation? Is this a UK thing? When did you place your order.?

You guys got Oakley glasses?!?! All I got as an apology was some "multifunction headwear" basically a canyon branded buff!

To be precise I got the following compensation:

Shipping / Bike Guard costs refunded
    Oakley limited edition sunglasses
    Canyon jersey
    Canyon bib shorts

During the nine week delay I was in constant touch with a German guy called Damir. I insisted on regular updates and to be fair I received a call each week with an update, or lack of in most cases.

I also insisted on compensation in order to keep my bike on order with Canyon and the above is what I was offered.

It pays to kick off and I laid it on real thick. I was very demanding and it paid off. I suggest others in the same boat get on the phone and demand some decent compo.

Regards,

Stephen.

seriously, I send multiple emails, phoned them, got some advice from a lawyer on how to speed things up, send some more emails, everytime demanding regular updates (which obviously did not happen), etc... . Delay of 12 weeks. nothing but a jersey and bib. it already cost them 1 bike sale tho, and likely a second. assholes. i'm getting on the phone again that's for sure, they got off too easy. you contacted germany directly? which bike did you order fyi?
  • DrWally
    mh13 wrote:
    Negligence? No. Breach of contract maybe, but then you have to show a loss, perhaps you could say you lost the entrance fee of a particular event and so claim that; but then you have a duty to mitigate your loss....

or, if you pointed out clearly that you purchased the bike for a particular event, and after they announced a delay, you propose a new "reasonable" (at least one week, according to their tc) delivery date, which they don't dispute yet fail to meet, you can proceed with renting a bike, that is your loss and it's pretty straightforward to proof.

anyway, doesn't matter. I just want a sign of some minimum respect. The guy can bring 12 roses to my door with a personal apology for my part, but not just a "it will be a jersey and a bib and that's all you are getting" email (after I said the compensation was definitely insufficient -and I'm glad i'm not alone on this- he simply said that they will not change their proposed plan, and that I was free to undertake legal steps or cancel the contract (if you speak dutch, I can fwd the email if you don't believe me). Can you imagine this attitude, after a 12 week delay...?
  • cyprids
    cyprids Posts: 21
    I am just so happy that I cancelled my order a couple of weeks ago as it seems to be the right choice I made by the comtinuence of this topic...
  • ste1975
    seriously, I send multiple emails, phoned them, got some advice from a lawyer on how to speed things up, send some more emails, everytime demanding regular updates (which obviously did not happen), etc... . Delay of 12 weeks. nothing but a jersey and bib. it already cost them 1 bike sale tho, and likely a second. assholes. i'm getting on the phone again that's for sure, they got off too easy. you contacted germany directly? which bike did you order fyi?

DrWally,

My first point of contact was to CanyonUK via email, at which point I was dealt with by Damir (a German guy who used to work in the Koblenz factory, but who now works in their UK office.
    He seemed very knowledgeable about the whole situation and kept me in the loop as best he could. I even received a number of phone calls from him when he had some information to report.
    Don't get me wrong, their whole customer service stinks and if it wasn't for myself taking this up then I dread to think what would have happened.
    I don't think Canyon are bothered what the consumer decides. If you threaten to cancel they will just say "it is up to you" and you will then be left having to source another bike that will probably cost you a lot more for the same spec or worse.

FYI - I ordered the CF SLX 7.0 DI2 (Compact / Stealth / Large)

One other point to note. For those who have added on the VCLS 2.0 seatpost, this will delay your despatch as they are out of stock. You will need to ask for a temp seatpost for them to ship your bike, otherwise it will just sit in the warehouse until the seatpost arrives in stock.

Regards,

Stephen.
  • J8hnb
    J8hnb Posts: 6
    Stephen - have canyon told you that the VCLS 2.0 post is out of stock?

I have been told by them my order is not being held up due to speccing this post and I have a binding delivery of Wk20!!
  • ste1975
    J8hnb wrote:
    Stephen - have canyon told you that the VCLS 2.0 post is out of stock?

I have been told by them my order is not being held up due to speccing this post and I have a binding delivery of Wk20!!

J8hnb,

According to their website the VCLS 2.0 post is out of stock. So unless they have stock to complete bike builds only and not to sell as an accessory, then I fail to see how they can supply the bike as per your order. I may be wrong but this is just what I have heard recently.
    Week 20 is this week and I received my bike with the standard post on Friday. I take it you have not got your bike then?

Regards,

Stephen.
  • J8hnb
    J8hnb Posts: 6
    Nope. Emailed them Thurs to check status. Got a shipping email Fri so assumed this was my bike. However, after tracking it noticed that package weight is described as 0.5kg. And on further inspection of the email it relates to the bib shorts and top that they put on a separate order. By the time I had realised the service centre was closed!!

So from being chuffed that my bike was finally on its way I am now very disappointed again!!!
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    cyprids wrote:
    I am just so happy that I cancelled my order a couple of weeks ago as it seems to be the right choice I made by the comtinuence of this topic...

I'll let you know soon enough if you made the right decision or not. :D
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • DrWally
    ste1975 wrote:

DrWally,

My first point of contact was to CanyonUK via email, at which point I was dealt with by Damir (a German guy who used to work in the Koblenz factory, but who now works in their UK office.
    He seemed very knowledgeable about the whole situation and kept me in the loop as best he could. I even received a number of phone calls from him when he had some information to report.
    Don't get me wrong, their whole customer service stinks and if it wasn't for myself taking this up then I dread to think what would have happened.
    I don't think Canyon are bothered what the consumer decides. If you threaten to cancel they will just say "it is up to you" and you will then be left having to source another bike that will probably cost you a lot more for the same spec or worse.

FYI - I ordered the CF SLX 7.0 DI2 (Compact / Stealth / Large)

One other point to note. For those who have added on the VCLS 2.0 seatpost, this will delay your despatch as they are out of stock. You will need to ask for a temp seatpost for them to ship your bike, otherwise it will just sit in the warehouse until the seatpost arrives in stock.

Regards,

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen, it's just better for my general stress levels that I let it go. I really don't have time to take further steps at the moment, and the benefits hardly outweigh the costs. It is true that for the same spec you easily pay 500-1000 euro more, eg, the di version of the specialized SL4, but if I would have known, I would have gladly paid it. It you have a good LBS in the neighbourhood, it is probably also wrong to consider this extra money as some dead-weight cost, since you get a service in return.

but tell me, how are you liking the bike? :)
  • ste1975
    DrWally wrote:

Thanks Stephen, it's just better for my general stress levels that I let it go. I really don't have time to take further steps at the moment, and the benefits hardly outweigh the costs. It is true that for the same spec you easily pay 500-1000 euro more, eg, the di version of the specialized SL4, but if I would have known, I would have gladly paid it. It you have a good LBS in the neighbourhood, it is probably also wrong to consider this extra money as some dead-weight cost, since you get a service in return.

but tell me, how are you liking the bike?

DrWally,

I do agree that there are pitfalls of buying direct from manufacturers over the web. No try before you buy or getting a proper fit along with not seeing the bike in the flesh, or should that be carbon? :)

I guess it boils down to how much you want something, in this case a value for money Canyon bike, or the full service from your LBS with good after service at an increased cost. Some would say the latter when you are spending a significant amount of money. It is like buying a second hand car without seeing it or taking it for a test drive first.

Having ridden bikes for a long time now, I was happy to go down this route as I am happy with the geometry of the SLX.

Regarding the bike itself, I will not get to set it up and ride it until the end of the month as I am away on business for the next week or so. Very frustrating. :|
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    DrWally wrote:
    It is true that for the same spec you easily pay 500-1000 euro more, eg, the di version of the specialized SL4, but if I would have known, I would have gladly paid it. It you have a good LBS in the neighbourhood, it is probably also wrong to consider this extra money as some dead-weight cost, since you get a service in return.

but tell me, how are you liking the bike? :)

Not so. I looked at Canyon but wanted LBS support for my £3k+ bike. I ended up with my SLR.

It has Di2, 2013 Force compact cogs and carbon cranks, Elites, Open Corsa CX tyres, Ritchey WCS bars/stem/post and an Arione saddle. Without pedals it comes in at 6.8kg for the medium frame (this is the actual weight, not a claimed figure). It is a naked UD High Mod carbon frame. The finish is very good, rather than being pretty like bikes with a cosmetic layer of carbon. Only the best made carbon frames from any manufacturer avoid a trip to the paint shop (ever thought about that?). With a bit of a haggle, the Boardman was pretty much the same money as the Canyon.

The price included a Retul bike fit (all Boardman Elite dealers include a full fit), so saved nearly £200. I ordered it on Sunday but it was not in stock at the shop. On Monday Boardman built it with the Force cogset I specced, it was delivered on Tuesday, set up to my dimensions that day and I collected it on Weds. To say I have been pleased with it is a massive understatement. Stiff is a word that it redefines and it flies up hills. Every watt of power is turned into speed. It is the same frame throughout the SLR range and exactly the same as UHC rode last year. It is a proven frame with racing pedigree.

The Canyon is very good and was high on my list, but there are alternatives that are equally good, or better, for the money. That I have had a bike fit and have full LBS back up meant the choice was simple.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • chigman
    Hi all

Got the bike late on Monday, put it together but not enough time to ride her. Went out tonight and ... Wow, cant believe how responsive this bike is, I love it. I cant compare it to anything as I have come from a hybrid and haven't rode a road bike since I was a kid, previously mountain biker before I got onto the roads with a hybrid which served me well for three years. This thing is sooooo light, and so fast also. Done a 27 miler tonight and loved every minute of it, definitely worth the wait imo. Gonna put some pics up hopefully before the weekend so's you can all have a butchers and drool. :D 8)
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • RhodOnABike
    RhodOnABike Posts: 25
    Just got home and set up the bike as I receive it today! Haven't had a chance to ride it yet but I've taken tomorrow off work to give it a good spin!
    Anyone on here know how to set up ultegra di2???

In another note, canyon promised me a few things in the box as compensation for the delay, didn't get them!
  • chigman
    chigman wrote:
    cyprids wrote:

I can categorically say that you didn't make the right decision. It's an awesome bike mate 8)
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    chigman wrote:
    chigman wrote:
    cyprids wrote:

I can categorically say that you didn't make the right decision. It's an awesome bike mate 8)

You should categorically post up a few pics when you get a chance :) Congrats on finally getting the bike.
  • chigman
    If I knew how to post pics on this site I would????
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • Go to the 'post reply' tab and under the large box where you type, you'll see two other tabs. The one on the right says 'upload attachment'. Thats how to upload the pics which we all wanna see :)
  • chigman
    Ah-cheers ScreaminWargasm. I'll give it ago now 8)

A few outside shots taken with my phone...... Er, except these three..
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • chigman
    more....
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • chigman
    More...
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • chigman
    More...
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • chigman
    Last one :D
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • chigman
    Guys , this is a size medium - I am just under 5'10" with an inseam of 82cm and this bike fits well. My seatpost is set at the moment on the 5mm-6mm mark. I was right in between sizes-small-medium, so could of probably gotten away with either size. :)
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • cyprids
    cyprids Posts: 21
    chigman wrote:
    chigman wrote:
    cyprids wrote:

:D ...still happy with my decision since the lastest delivery week I got was 26 although I ordered in dec. I will wait to see if the next years bike are with the 6800 ultegra series.

A really nice bike you got there, and finally with the colors I like 8)
  • chigman wrote:
    Guys , this is a size medium - I am just under 5'10" with an inseam of 82cm and this bike fits well. My seatpost is set at the moment on the 5mm-6mm mark. I was right in between sizes-small-medium, so could have probably gotten away with either size. :)

Do you mean cm? Otherwise it is going to feel like a dead, lifeless, sort of like a block of wood ride.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • chigman
    chigman wrote:
    Guys , this is a size medium - I am just under 5'10" with an inseam of 82cm and this bike fits well. My seatpost is set at the moment on the 5mm-6mm mark. I was right in between sizes-small-medium, so could have probably gotten away with either size. :)

Do you mean cm? Otherwise it is going to feel like a dead, lifeless, sort of like a block of wood ride.

There is about 8 1/4 " from top of saddle to top of seatpost collar. On the adjustment marker on the back of the seat post, I have it set on 5-6mm showing.
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    Congrats man, lovely looking bike. Black and white was my initial choice until I was swayed to the dark side of the Stealth look. Must say it's a toss of a coin between the two, both look lovely. That's the first Black and white one I've seen, really nice. Good work on preempting the "What size are you" question, you've been hanging around this thread too long :) Enjoy.