Paul Kimmage.....

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    We should remember how good his writing is though. Rough Ride and the Tony Cascarino books are both great.... I have the Matt Hampson book to read and I am sure it will be great.
  • mroli
    We should remember how good his writing is though. Rough Ride and the Tony Cascarino books are both great.... I have the Matt Hampson book to read and I am sure it will be great.
  • Here is a lengthy interview with Paul Kimmage about his life abroad as a cyclist and journalist. I haven't listened to much of this but it might give an insight into the man.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generat ... l-kimmage/

DD.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Procycling Magazine, last month, had Walsh doing his thing with Sky and the article was dire. I can see where the brown nosing thing comes from. It was just saying that Walsh's careful eye was cast over Team Sky, when he was embedded with the Team and he couldn't sniff a thing. It was like he was reporting the prospect of doping on a club tt; feckin' useless and only a bit of PR for News Corporation. We'll see in a few years time whether the wheels fall of the Sky train. Somehow, I think News Corp has got this in the bag making LA's Disco boys look like a bunch of newbies.

Murdock has had world leaders in the bag so the UCI or whoever will be easy meat.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Procycling Magazine, last month, had Walsh doing his thing with Sky and the article was dire. I can see where the brown nosing thing comes from. It was just saying that Walsh's careful eye was cast over Team Sky, when he was embedded with the Team and he couldn't sniff a thing. .

So what do you think the issue is?

Is Walsh corrupted or incompetent?

Would you believe Walsh if he does anything else other than confirm for you what you already believe to be true?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Murdock has had world leaders in the bag so the UCI or whoever will be easy meat.

The same Murdock who's favourite Sunday paper was closed down by Hugh Grant, and who's trusted confidants are at the Old Bailey on Monday?
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/oct/27/rebekah-brooks-andy-coulson-phone-hacking-trial

You can't be serious so you must mean this guy: who could certainly fix anything.
    murdock-the-a-team-23616500-500-375.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I'm very interested in the doping books, but I find Kimmage goes way too far. Yes I have read his book, the updated one, but he is on a mission and everything is just too much. Bitter to say the least.

Walsh is a bit better, but it is still all about justifying their existence, and salary.

Jesus Christ guys, just let things pan out. Everyone is aware now that there have been major problems, and there are still problems. It is however, not as stupid as it was 10-20 years ago.
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    Not a cycling story but looks like Paul Kimmage has had a row with Brian O Driscoll & will now not be completing his biography

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/ ... -1.1672339
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Rumours are that Brian switched from BT sport to Sky Sports....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • thomasmc wrote:
    Not a cycling story but looks like Paul Kimmage has had a row with Brian O Driscoll & will now not be completing his biography

Colour me surprised
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    I'm sure there is a common thread in these fallings out between Paul Kimmage and other people but I can't quite put my finger on it...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    thomasmc wrote:

And here's explanation why:
    http://thescore.thejournal.ie/paul-kimm ... 9-Jan2014/

Even when he's telling the story himself he comes across as an unreasonable controlling bellend. (It seems similar to his spat with Wiggins in 2010).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    self_destruct_button.jpg
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    RichN95 wrote:
    thomasmc wrote:

And here's explanation why:
    http://thescore.thejournal.ie/paul-kimm ... 9-Jan2014/

Even when he's telling the story himself he comes across as an unreasonable controlling bellend. (It seems similar to his spat with Wiggins in 2010).

I assume we're talking about The Times!?
  • Macaloon
    Another heroic principled stand against transparency and openness.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Paul snatches defeat from the jaws of victory again....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mroli
    The thing about Kimmage is, he does write very well. His ghosted Matt Hampson book is excellent, really excellent. The Cascarino book was great as well. People are massively quick to mock him and I can understand why, but imho there is no doubting his passion and the quality of his work. Maybe if he wasn't an "unreasonable controlling bellend", he wouldn't write as engagingly.
  • mroli wrote:
    The thing about Kimmage is, he does write very well. His ghosted Matt Hampson book is excellent, really excellent. The Cascarino book was great as well. People are massively quick to mock him and I can understand why, but imho there is no doubting his passion and the quality of his work. Maybe if he wasn't an "unreasonable controlling bellend", he wouldn't write as engagingly.

yes, but the trick to those two books was staying speaking to Cascarino and Hampson instead of queeny huffs
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    edited January 2014
    mroli wrote:

I'd say that "the thing" about Kimmage is that whatever qualities he has as a writer, they tend to get obscured at some point by the exhibition cage fight going on between his perma-damaged ego Vs his embittered principles...

Look: there's even a cartoon scene dedicated to it...

They captured a certain likeness to Kimmage, no?
  • RichN95.
    mroli wrote:
    The Cascarino book was 14 years ago now and contained some fabrications (such as him being ineligible to play for Ireland)
    As a writer he is only good if his subject fits into his milieu of the dark side of sport - the destroyer of men. Casacarino was a gambling addicted womaniser and Hampson was paralysed - just his sort of topics. He wants to be the Frank McCourt of sport.
    He needs to have a subject provided for him, find a predetermined 'dark side' angle and then have the subject comply with that angle to be any good. Otherwise the toys go out of the pram. There's a story about him turning up to interview the Irish footballer Mark Kinsella at training. He saw Kinsella limping a little during training so his first question was 'Are you injured?'. Kinsella said no, so Kimmage said there was no point doing the interview and left. You see, Kinsella's opinion didn't match Kimmage's predetermined 'truth'. (Kinsella played in the next match - it was just a knock).
    Recently he wrote in a self-aggrandising column how when reporting golf he never 'watches the ball' - as he seeks the different angle. In reality, where the ball landed is irrelevant to him, where he thinks it landed is it all that matters.

He keeps banging on about stories he couldn't write at the Sunday Times, but then didn't write anything interesting for the Mail or the Sunday Independent. He has since said that he saw very strange goings on at the Tour - but again didn't write about them.

He may have been a good journalist once, but he's become smug, arrogant and lazy and worst of all, a parody of what he believes he is.
  • Macaloon
    RichN95 wrote:
    Whispered: "Can you hear the lambs, Clarice?"

He needs to join the Sisters of Perpetually Betrayed.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    Rich - could I respectfully request that you save your "bellend" for special?
    When it finally slipped out in exasperated discussion with Whiteboytrash... well, that was probably the funniest moment on BR for me last year...

Come next December, we can reflect on what sort of year it's been by the "Bellend Tally"...
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Some people just can't help themsleves. Such a shame as this could have been a good book. Then again as Rich says perhaps the subject matter wasn't enough of a "victim" for his style of writing.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Rich - could I respectfully request that you save your "bellend" for special?
    When it finally slipped out in exasperated discussion with Whiteboytrash... well, that was probably the funniest moment on BR for me last year...

Come next December, we can reflect on what sort of year it's been by the "Bellend Tally"...

Oh the innuendo! :oops:
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    May have more more time to promote the new film now:
    http://vimeo.com/58740295#at=0
    The most spectacular sporting event in the world in 2013 will take place next July, when for twenty‐one days, the 100th Tour de France sees 180 cyclists pedal over 3,000km around the French countryside. This grueling event will be cheered on by huge roadside crowds and accompanied by the mighty caravan of global media, sponsors, medics and support staff that keep the wheels turning.

Within that media scrum sits one of the worlds most cantankerous sports journalists. Paul Kimmage has spent the last 22 years fighting to rid his most beautiful sport of doping. The former professional cyclist is detested by many in the sport, led by Lance Armstrong, fellow journalists and heads of the world cycling governing body.

Throughout the twenty‐one days of the most grueling road race, we travel with journalist Paul Kimmage in his caravan, giving us an extraordinary insight into the fascinating, beautiful and often shocking world of professional cycling. At its heart this is a story of one man’s unrequited love for his sport.

Right now, there is no sport with a bigger credibility fight on its hands than cycling, and no event where genuine romance coexists so uncomfortably with hideous reality than the Tour de France. Told against the backdrop of the centenary Tour, and through the eyes of one of the most aggravated whistleblowers in sports journalism, we are going on a journey that could prove to be one of the most contentious sports films of our time.
  • deleted - not worth it
  • RichN95.
    Breaking News:

Paul Kimmage resigns from Paul Kimmage documentary

Following his departure from Brian O'Driscoll's book, Paul Kimmage has now left his job as a consultant and producer of the documentary Rough Riders after an sensational bust-up with the film's star, Paul Kimmage.

Explaining his decision to leave, Kimmage said "It has been one of the hardest most gruelling decisions that any Irishman has had to face, but I must for the sake of my art. In recent years I have developed a very loving relationship with Mr Kimmage, but our visions for the project have diverged irrepairably. I wanted to show the world the brillance of this once-in-a-generation writer who has devastating stories to tell. Stories the authorities want silenced. However, on camera he was only willing to shout "Leinders", "Cancer Jesus" and "Feck you Walsh" while hugging a picture of Floyd Landis. Then he said Boasson Hagen should be winning the Tour so I called Social Services"

"In truth we wanted to hire Michael Fassbender for the role, but Aaron Brown nicked our budget" he continued.

The documentary's subject, Paul Kimmage was unavailable for comment, saying the only person worthy of telling his story is Sunday Independent journalist Paul Kimmage
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    *chuckle*
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.