Paul Kimmage.....

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    D O G wrote:
    Why is his missus in the interview? Mental.

She's effectively his manager, and brokered the discussion with Kimbo, so it's not surprising she's around during interview
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    That's a really good interview. I am starting to warm a little to the guy.

Froome, not Kimmage.

I hope the questions about attacking his team leader in 2012 get a suitable answer in the full piece.
  • iainf72
    That's a really good interview. I am starting to warm a little to the guy.

Froome, not Kimmage.

I hope the questions about attacking his team leader in 2012 get a suitable answer in the full piece.

It's covered at length in the book, so I'd be surprised if PK spent much time on it
  • jimmythecuckoo
    Are you his publisher :) that's the second subliminal message of encouragement you have sent me to buy "The Climb" in the last week :)
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Interesting interview. Froome comes across very well and Kimmage unnecessarily aggressive. Cound should probably keep schtum and let Froome do more talking.

Froome is also completely right about the TUE. So long as he is transparent and within the rules he should be allowed to continue.

I look forward to the second part.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • bartman100
    bartman100 Posts: 544
    shoot me down if this has been done to death already (and I'm sure it has), but I think Kimmage stating (repeatedly) that Contador is a cheat is deliberately provocative. Misgivings about Kimmage's interest in the sport as a whole aside, I kind of admire his balls (figuratively!). Surely Contador would have lawyers all over this if he was as clean as professed. Or, is Kimmage seen as not worth the effort and/or from a PR point of view, best just let Kimmage shoot his mouth off?

Also, paraphrasing somewhat:-
    Kimmage: 'contador is a cheat.....you've beaten people who have cheated'
    Froome 'yeah'

Not 'hang on a minute, he's never failed a test' but simply 'yeah'
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I think Contador has better things to do than take down scumbag reporters or try and and do tear-inducing interviews.

Contador's background was super tough but he doesn't go around singing about it to try and get people to love him. His actions on the bike and his charity work speak for themselves.

I repeat, Contador is older than Froome, won 6 more Grand Tours than him and yet he does not have an autobiography out. Contador and Froome are simply not on the same level whatever way you want to look at it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I think Contador has better things to do than take down scumbag reporters or try and and do tear-inducing interviews.

Contador's background was super tough but he doesn't go around singing about it to try and get people to love him. His actions on the bike and his charity work speak for themselves.

I repeat, Contador is older than Froome, won 6 more Grand Tours than him and yet he does not have an autobiography out. Contador and Froome are simply not on the same level whatever way you want to look at it.

6?

Take the blinkers off.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    bartman100 wrote:
    shoot me down if this has been done to death already (and I'm sure it has), but I think Kimmage stating (repeatedly) that Contador is a cheat is deliberately provocative. Misgivings about Kimmage's interest in the sport as a whole aside, I kind of admire his balls (figuratively!). Surely Contador would have lawyers all over this if he was as clean as professed. Or, is Kimmage seen as not worth the effort and/or from a PR point of view, best just let Kimmage shoot his mouth off?

Also, paraphrasing somewhat:-
    Kimmage: 'contador is a cheat.....you've beaten people who have cheated'
    Froome 'yeah'

Not 'hang on a minute, he's never failed a test' but simply 'yeah'

He's been banned for cheating. I don't think his lawyers could win that one.
  • frenchfighter
    Joelsim wrote:
    6?

Take the blinkers off.

Probably not worth going down this route with me. He has won seven Grand Tours and most riders and DS know that. I know that and he knows that. Andy and Scarponi both said they feel they haven't won the GTs that they got by default. That is more important to me than some stupid rule for the presence of an uber-minuscule, physically impossible to administer amount of clen.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I repeat, Contador is older than Froome, won 6 more Grand Tours than him and yet he does not have an autobiography out.
    He would have done if he was British - it's down to the book relative book markets rather than the individuals. Autobiographies and cycling books are both strong sellers in Britain - but not so much in Spain.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Well you can assume that but without a doubt Contador is a different person to Froome generally.

I nearly added to my first post that UK was much more interested in the cult and personality of celebrity and sports people than the rest of Europe.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Joelsim wrote:
    6?

Take the blinkers off.

Probably not worth going down this route with me. He has won seven Grand Tours and most riders and DS know that. I know that and he knows that. Andy and Scarponi both said they feel they haven't won the GTs that they got by default. That is more important to me than some stupid rule for the presence of an uber-minuscule, physically impossible to administer amount of clen.

Scarponi - former doper. Most DS's - former dopers. Most riders pre-2006 - former dopers. Andy - former cyclist.

At the end of the day, people judge others by their own standards."There but for the grace of God..."
  • RichN95.
    Well you can assume that but without a doubt Contador is a different person to Froome generally.
    Contador has his own logo and merchandising range. Why would you think he wouldn't have a book if given the opportunity?
  • bartman100
    tough upbringing and does lots for charity you say? Well that's me convinced.
  • frenchfighter
    Because he doesnt strike me as the type of person who would like to lay down his life on paper like that, at least not yet.

Also if you go on his website I cant even find where I can purchase his merchandise? The only place I have seen it is on those chinese sites selling cycling gear.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    bartman100 wrote:

What should I be trying to convince you of?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    Kimmage seems like a dog with a bone over a f#cking asthma inhaler. Froome's responses are absolutely consistent with how asthmatics can be affected subsequent to something like a chest infection. Whats the problem? Also very disingenuous of Kimmage to trot the line out about how Froome was nowhere in 2011 without referencing Froome's very well documented problem with bilharzia. Kimmage has done great work in the past but increasingly he's sounding hysterical and marginalised. His very worst fear is a peloton without doping....
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Kimmage has done great work in the past but increasingly he's sounding hysterical and marginalised. His very worst fear is a peloton without doping....

He's like the obsessive detective who when confronted with a world of boring non-crimes starts committing crimes himself because he needs to solve them but without Benedict Cumberbatch's cheekbones or Matthew McConaughey's hair.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    Kimmage has done great work in the past but increasingly he's sounding hysterical and marginalised. His very worst fear is a peloton without doping....

He's like the obsessive detective who when confronted with a world of boring non-crimes starts committing crimes himself because he needs to solve them but without Benedict Cumberbatch's cheekbones or Matthew McConaughey's hair.
    Like Jimmy McNulty in The Wire inventing a serial killer for more funding.
  • bartman100
    bartman100 wrote:

What should I be trying to convince you of?
    Well, for a start he's Spanish so that's got my suspicions up - trust them at your peril. Secondly, his massive melon head that surely can't be supported on such a spindly frame - has to be something rum going on there.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Again, when Kimbo switches his brain on he's a very good writer. It's such a shame that he does so so rarely...

If I was there, I'd have asked Kimbo why he thinks Froome should have pulled out when we know that maybe one other team would have done the same. Every other team would have let their rider win and celebrated the victory, even if that rider was a convicted dope cheat that has served a ban
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:

I haven't seen The Wire. Can you tell?
  • Turfle
    RichN95 wrote:

Go and watch it immediately.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Joelsim wrote:
    6?

Take the blinkers off.

Probably due to the fact that Fronk and Andy have also been prone to a bit of sauce. As have/are most.

As it happens FF I would like to see Contador win it this year.

As you will have seen from my previous posts, I still think there is a huge problem in cycling.
  • above_the_cows
    Turfle wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Go and watch it immediately.

I've tried I just don't have the time. I feel it was one of those things that you needed to catch the first time around as it's release was staggered otherwise you'd never find the time to invest in watching the whole thing. And I don't need any temptations to go and do something other than read and grade dissertations.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    Fair play FF.

I have different feelings about Contador but I have plenty of time for your reasoned arguments.

I also think he will win by miles this year.
  • Turfle
    Part 2:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-s ... 94950.html

Kimmage doesn't like dopers, and Froome seems like a nice guy. That's about it I think.
  • iainf72
    I thought it was quite good all round. Kimmage is good at opening a line of questioning and then letting it play out.

Both sides come out of it quite well.
  • Turfle
    Yeah, it was interesting enough. Covered all the familiar old ground, and ultimately it won't make a dent either way, but it was good to read some of Froome's extended thoughts on things.