Paul Kimmage.....

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I don't speak Norwegian, but the appearance in that linked article of the phrase 'den neste Eddy Merckx' suggests he was.

Oh dear me.

Top Tip Paul : You'd have an easier time if you just dug into a few of the Sky people, found their doping links and wheeled it out. Again. At least it wouldn't be as tragic as this

"He is the greatest natural talent I have seen since Jan Ullrich"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

"He is the greatest natural talent I have seen since Jan Ullrich"

Stop it, I'm going to wet myself
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I don't speak Norwegian, but the appearance in that linked article of the phrase 'den neste Eddy Merckx' suggests he was.

Oh dear me.

Top Tip Paul : You'd have an easier time if you just dug into a few of the Sky people, found their doping links and wheeled it out. Again. At least it wouldn't be as tragic as this

I could have told him this 5 years ago. Does this mean that past me is a top cycling mind?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • disgruntledgoat
    Or maybe Kimmage is getting his info on the current peloton from a 5 year old stack of Pro Cyclings he bought off a collector?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    "He is the greatest natural talent I have seen since Jan Ullrich at eating cakes"

FTFY
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Oh dear me.

He's the journo equivalent of Devolder. Stick to what you know and you may get a few hand me downs from a heavyweight like Boonen/Walsh. Try branching out into cycle writing/Grand Tours and you're likely to look silly.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Oh dear me.

He's the journo equivalent of Devolder. Stick to what you know and you may get a few hand me downs from a heavyweight like Boonen/Walsh. Try branching out into cycle writing/Grand Tours and you're likely to look silly.

^kerching
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    He needs a defence from insanity fund immediately.
  • Courtesy of Google translate:
    conference outside of the usual two days before showtime at the Tour de France. Sky boss Dave Brailsford is rarely speechless, but when the renowned cycling journalist Paul Kimmage asked what had happened to Edvald Boasson Hagen's talent, Brailsford was clearly uncomfortable.

- I thought he was going to be the next Eddy Merckx when I saw him in 2009, said Kimmage to tv2.no.

Surprised Boasson Hagen
    Brailsford seemed at first as he did not understand the question to Kimmage. But as Kimmage asked Brailsford why not Edvald Boasson Hagen has developed into one overall favorite, unable Sky boss to answer other than "everyone is allowed to have an opinion. That's your opinion."

- I had not expected him to ask that question, said Boasson Hagen.

He admits that the results over the past year has not been top notch.

- It's okay, he is skeptical. I have not shown many results in vårklassikerne, but I ran decent and won a stage of the Dauphine. It's not something I care about. He can say what he wants and think what he wants, says Boasson Hagen.

- Largest natural talent since Ullrich
    Kimmage believes Team Sky have squandered talent Boasson Hagen.

- He is the greatest natural talent I have seen since Jan Ullrich. I thought he would develop further and become the new big winner. And what is he now? A domestique. Dave Brailsford talks about developing young talent. What happened to Edvald talent? It has not evolved. He is not a better rider now than when he came to the team, said Kimmage.

Bike journalist, who has been sued by UCI when he suggested that the UCI had hidden a positive doping test for Lance Armstrong in 2001, according Edvald lack of progress due to lack of ambition.

- I'm surprised he's been in Sky so long. I do not know what they are paying him, but there must be serious amounts of money. He has not got the potential. He should have been leader of a team. For me he should have been one of those who came to the Tour as one of the favorites to win. But it has not happened. It must be due to a lack of ambition. Maybe he is not ambitious enough, maybe he did not have enough faith in themselves. But if I had been a good leader, I had gotten him to believe he could win the race, said Kimmage, and argues that Bradley Wiggins ended over three hours behind Floyd Landis in 2006. In 2012, Wiggins was standing at the top of the podium in Paris.

CRITICAL: Paul Kimmage.

To win vårklassikerne
    Boasson Hagen says he is happy with the state of affairs at Team Sky. He does not deny that he may eventually be a combined candidate.

- That's not what I think of now. Now it's round. Should I get a combined rider, I will take it when it comes. In the beginning, I think most of the classics, says Boasson Hagen.

- But when you have vårklassikerne then?

- I will always strive for new goals, but we will take when the time comes, said Boasson Hagen.
    Google Translate for Business:Translator ToolkitWebsite TranslatorGlobal Market Finder
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Gets a dig in at Wiggins there too. Classic.

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    Tomorrow, Paul Kimmage will confront Back to the Future 2 director Robert Zemeckis and scream "Where's my hoverboard? You promised us hoverboards!"
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I admire PK for his stand against Armstrong and that, but this is desperate stuff.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I admire PK for his stand against Armstrong and that, but this is desperate stuff.
    A stand based largely upon the exceptional journalism of Walsh (and Ballester).
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    r0bh wrote:
    Full story of the UCI Underpants debacle from Joe Lindsey:

http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured- ... fense-fund

Thanks for the link to this. I'm not a tweeterer and so the references to people such as UCI Overlord, Digger Forum and Festinagirl to name but three have gone over my head over the last few years. I assumed (wrongly) because of the almost Messianic reverence with which these people were feted that they were people on the inside of cycling, connected, important. It turns out they are nobodies with less insight, knowledge and connection to many of the forumites whose posts I read on here.

Perhaps I'm being harsh calling them nobodies. UCI Overlord was apparently a decent barista and I seriously have a lot of respect for that.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,703
    This is just the opening play in Kimmage revealing Sky's ultra sophisticated doping programme,
    while explaining the mysterious failure of Edvald Boasson Merckx.
    Brailsford's been serving up Norwegian black pudding breakfasts to Messrs Wiggins and Froome. :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    Kimmage is asking the hard questions, the ones that the other journalists are afraid to ask at the Tour de France. Of course, they've been asking the same question at the Classics for the past three years, but they don't ask it at the Tour.

If EBH had developed into a GC contender, Kimmage would have started comparing him to Jalabert.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I think BS has cracked it. EBH is fading away on Froome's weak blood, while Froome grows strong.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    What is PK up to here?

Is he playing to his audience of faithful? There must be about 4 of them left now
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Trying to dredge up some fake controversy for his film I assume. It's got so pathetic I almost feel sorry for him.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    To needle Brailsford is reason enough I guess.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    Dear oh dear - PK has turned himself into some kind of greek tragedy
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    What is PK up to here?

Is he playing to his audience of faithful? There must be about 4 of them left now
    Remember there's going to be a film about him, so maybe he's working to a vague script. Subtext isn't his style, but it helps build a narrative, particularly in editing - sort of like an episode of Colombo. All building to him asking that killer 'just one more thing, Mr Brailsford' question, before all the other journos sigh because they asked him that 10 times last year.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    The model is Michael Moore: Roger and Me. Abuse your 'diplomatic immunity' by making increasingly impossible to ignore statements. Stamp your victim card when corporate monster responds.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • PK is not a cycling journalist he is an anti doping journalist/crusader. Where as Walsh can carry on his work in a clean sport, to earn a living and to be relevant PK needs for there to be doping in cycling. Who wants his opinion if cycling is clean? He has to keep himself relevant so he attacks the most prominent team and the one that will keep his name in the headlines the most. Was he at the Saxo press conference? Was he asking Valverde difficult questions at the Movistar press conference? He has set himself up as cycling's exorcist and my experience of exorcists is that they see a demon under every stone and around every corner because it is good for business, their business.
    He seems to be driven by self promotion and bitterness and bitterness is such an untrustworthy characteristic. It might add drive but it distorts logic and entrenches opinions which aren't great traits for a journalist. If there is doping at sky it will come out. Someone will crack and there will be a witness. If this happens it is far more likely to be uncovered by someone with Walsh's approach that's PK's. I feel sorry for him because you can understand why he might be bitter he has been screwed over before but as someone said bitterness is like drinking poison and hoping the other person dies. It doesn't make for a nice or stable person.
  • JackTar
    JackTar Posts: 77
    IzFAkLHVGKJf1HIoZVUW8wreO284nR8lJaqyRXPXHwk=w287-h207-p-no
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    I generally think people here are a little tough on Kimmage, but that was just stupid and strange...

Why hasn't SKY developed EBH's talent? He needs to leave the stage.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Bakunin wrote:
    I generally think people here are a little tough on Kimmage, but that was just stupid and strange...

Why hasn't SKY developed EBH's talent? He needs to leave the stage.

A little tough?

He lost his marbles sometime back imo.

No wonder they're keeping his fighting fund from him he couldn't be trusted with it.

Seriously I think he's a little unstable upstairs or he believes his own hype so much it's made him deluded.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    So basically the narrative of this movie, in the absence of any actual doping evidence, will be Kimmage as the Knight Crusader against the other major accusation leveled at Sky, boring cycling?

Got it. Sounds a rip roarer of Watergate proportions.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There are plenty of riders feted as being the next big thing.
    Very very few live up to this - no matter what team they are on. And the riders are free to choose who they ride for.

Where's JTL this season ?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Reference to it in Geraint Thomas's pre-Tour video "I don't think he's made many friends in Norway"

https://www.facebook.com/geraint.thomas.921