Shittest town in the UK?

Comments

• Has anyone said Billingham yet? The only town centre than can look closed at midday on a saturday.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    derall wrote:
    Aberdeen. Could be a wonderful city, if it weren't for the Aberdonians. As Bill Bryson described them, "the only people mean enough to pick a ha'penny from a dunghill with their teeth". I've lived in Glasgow, Wishaw, Romford, Milton Keynes and High Wycombe, and I'd go back to any of those before I'd go back to Aberdeen.

I lived in Aberdeen for five years. The people I didn't have a problem with, but the city itself is so sodding grey that it's oppressively miserable all year round bar the week or two that the sun comes out. Chrisopher Brookmire launched into a rant about Aberdeen in one of his books and how Aberdonians had the cheek to name it 'The Silver City'. He said something along the lines of 'if Aberdeen is silver, then shite isn't brown, it's coppertone'.

On another note, how has this thread extended to eleven pages without a mention of Bognor Regis yet?
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Scotland

Ardrossan
    Most places around Glasgow - but especially Paisley.

England
    Castleford
    Virtually anywhere in West Yorkshire to the West of Leeds.
    Slough
    Cleveleys
    Fleetwood
    Barrow in Furness
    Ilfracombe
    Corby

Wales
    Haverfordwest
    Milford Haven (named so inappropriately!)
    Pwllheli

Bob
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    How is Northern Ireland getting out of this so lightly?
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Lets face it. Most of Northern Ireland was rebuilt between 1969 and 1995 so it is going to get away with it, isn't it!

I nominate Lurgan if it makes you feel any better.......

Bob
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Has anyone said Billingham yet? The only town centre than can look closed at midday on a saturday.
    Says the man from Middlesbrough.
  • Pross
    beverick wrote:
    Lets face it. Most of Northern Ireland was rebuilt between 1969 and 1995 so it is going to get away with it, isn't it!

I nominate Lurgan if it makes you feel any better.......

Bob

Not sure about that, I think it's probably more that not many of us have ever been to a lot of the places that are really bad over there. I did end up lost in my friend's family car going to Donegal in '86 and ended up in the Bogside briefly - it didn't look too good (but still better than Corby or Merthyr).
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Pross wrote:

I asked that some pages back.

I can only assume no one here has been to Larne
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Still on the balancing act...
    A buddy of mine from St Austell always reckoned Redruth was truly beyond belief awful. I, being a naive Midlander, thought that as it was in Cornwall it might be alright. I stayed with him for a while and we went there... my God. No words of his could prepare me. Will someone come to their rescue?

Redruth has gone downhill over the years. It all started when Redruth Grammar school closed imho :wink: St Austell is hardly the jewel in Cornwall's crown though, is it?

+potato on Redruth

What's wrong with Snozzle... we've a new town centre with 2 shops gone due to bankruptcy and another on it's way out... it's definately on the way up :roll: . The only way it might stay off the list was if it became a city and it failed at that too.

No menion of Bodmin yet?

I agree with Plymouth but it's a city, can't make the list unfortunately.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Borden hampshire

3 takeways and 2 tattoo parlour high street

It's an army town,what else would you need or expect...???? :D

(I know this as i bought my car from a soldier there).
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • anj132 wrote:
    +potato

That's MTB talk and has no place here (unless you are prepared to explain the derivation).
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    anj132 wrote:
    +potato

That's MTB talk and has no place here (unless you are prepared to explain the derivation).

My bad, what should have I used?

+shaved legs?
    +lycra?
    +Lance?
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

I asked that some pages back.

I can only assume no one here has been to Larne

Larne's one of the nicer places I've been there - stayed there at my friends aunt's house for a few days on the same holiday we got lost in the Bogside. Mind you, that was mid 80s and Larne was probably less affected than some other places were at the time.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Has anyone said Billingham yet? The only town centre than can look closed at midday on a saturday.
    Says the man from Middlesbrough.

Which tells you just how bad Billingham is.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • anj132 wrote:
    anj132 wrote:
    +potato

My bad, what should have I used?

+shaved legs?
    +lycra?
    +Lance?

Well you could have used proper English and said something like "I agree" (if that was what you were trying to say). What is "+potato on Redruth" supposed to mean?
  • Borden hampshire

That does explain the desperately grim state of Bordon. You have summed up the building stock of the place, apart from army barracks/quarters, does it count as a town?
    BTW, you bought a car from a squaddie? Are you mad?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180

That does explain the desperately grim state of Bordon. You have summed up the building stock of the place, apart from army barracks/quarters, does it count as a town?

He was a tank mechanic in his defence.... :D
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422

He was a tank mechanic in his defence.... :D

It's one of the homes of R.E.M.E. I was there for 4 months in'78 and again in '81 for a 7 month course, grim. Was down that way last month and passed thru to show Mrs V where I was before we met.... can't print what she said, so it's not just me.... There was a pub there called the big E, what a dive that was...
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Borden hampshire

being a garrison town isn't some sort of get of jail free card... yeah it counts
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • wardieboy
    wardieboy Posts: 230
    Another vote for Chatham here.

Although I do find it surprising that after 12 pages Maidstone hasn't had a mention, it is one of the only towns in Kent that makes Tonbridge* look classy.

*Not to be confused with Tunbridge Wells, where good looking, honest, hard working people come from. The only good looking people you find in Tonbridge have mistakenly departed the train at Tonbridge thinking it is Tunbridge Wells. If you are unlucky enough to find yourself in Tonbridge, I would whole heartedly recommend an al-fresco pint at the slug & lettuce and watch the persistent conveyor belt of in-bred freaks that pass you by.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    wardieboy wrote:

Although I do find it surprising that after 12 pages Maidstone hasn't had a mention, it is one of the only towns in Kent that makes Tonbridge* look classy.

*Not to be confused with Tunbridge Wells, where good looking, honest, hard working people come from. The only good looking people you find in Tonbridge have mistakenly departed the train at Tonbridge thinking it is Tunbridge Wells. If you are unlucky enough to find yourself in Tonbridge, I would whole heartedly recommend an al-fresco pint at the slug & lettuce and watch the persistent conveyor belt of in-bred freaks that pass you by.

prefer tonbridge to be honest! Tonbridge may be full of kent rednecks but tunbridge wells is like a sketch out of little britain

and medway towns [all of them] has been mentioned
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Borden hampshire

being a garrison town isn't some sort of get of jail free card... yeah it counts

In that case can I have Tidworth please? Me and a cooleague did our best for the main street but it just looks out of character with the rest of the place!
  • dave8178
    dave8178 Posts: 169
    Has anybody been to Hyde in greater manchester. its famous for shipman, brady and hindley. its a lovely town........
    specialized stumpjumper.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4461838/
    commencal supreme vip.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5884133/
    Bianchi via nirone 7.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I'm being sent to Aldershot for a while at the end of next month - I'll keep you updated in a typical Yossie way when I can, but put it this way, I don't think it'll be Tuscany .......

By the way, has anyone said that Alsager should be napalmed? If not, then here it is: Alsager should be napalmed.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    wardieboy wrote:

When I lived in Maidstone I had a colleague from Chatham. She told me that for Chathamites a shopping trip down to Maidstone is viewed as a big, posh day out. The mind boggles.
  • Without a shred of doubt, Walsall is the festering, angry boil on the arse of the fly that is standing ankle deep in the recently deposited pile of crap left behind by a pack of rabid, flea-bitten, mangy mongrels that inhabit the worst hovel in the shittiest village in Shitsville. An artillery barrage would only serve to enhance the overall impression of the pound shop, gang ridden vision of urban misery that serves as a shopping centre.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Without a shred of doubt, Walsall is the festering, angry boil on the ars* of the fly that is standing ankle deep in the recently deposited pile of crap left behind by a pack of rabid, flea-bitten, mangy mongrels that inhabit the worst hovel in the shittiest village in Shitsville. An artillery barrage would only serve to enhance the overall impression of the pound shop, gang ridden vision of urban misery that serves as a shopping centre.

So how is the job at the Walsall Tourist Information going?? :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Without a shred of doubt, Walsall is the festering, angry boil on the ars* of the fly that is standing ankle deep in the recently deposited pile of crap left behind by a pack of rabid, flea-bitten, mangy mongrels that inhabit the worst hovel in the shittiest village in Shitsville. An artillery barrage would only serve to enhance the overall impression of the pound shop, gang ridden vision of urban misery that serves as a shopping centre.

I'm not really feeling the love for Walsall here ........

Bet its not full of rapists like Alsager is though.
  • I'd second Plymouth, good location, near the moors and the sea, lots of history so why is it such a $hithole? they've recently built a new mall, and the main shop in it is Primark, just about sums up the place.

Although i did have to spend the day in Newport once, while getting my passport sorted. now that IS a $hithole :(
    2009 Trek 4500. Grand Canyon CF 9.0
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I'm voting for Rochdale. Nothing but charity shops, and slowly dying a death. Someone decided to build a new shopping centre even though the old one was crap. Now it has two half empty shopping centres.

You know a place is shit when even McDonalds has closed down.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity