Shittest town in the UK?

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I'd second Plymouth, good location, near the moors and the sea, lots of history so why is it such a $hithole? they've recently built a new mall, and the main shop in it is Primark, just about sums up the place.

Although i did have to spend the day in Newport once, while getting my passport sorted. now that IS a $hithole :(

Primark hardly makes it a sh1thole does it? And M&S is bigger anyway.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Blackwood in South Wales is pretty minging.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    msmancunia wrote:
    You know a place is shoot when even McDonalds has closed down.

Au contraire msmancunia, au contraire ( sorry I've come over all Del Boy there!), surely it means a place has been improved when that rubbish leaves town.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    msmancunia wrote:
    You know a place is shoot when even McDonalds has closed down.

Au contraire msmancunia, au contraire ( sorry I've come over all Del Boy there!), surely it means a place has been improved when that rubbish leaves town.

That impression was so good I almost thought I was having a conversation with The Real Del Boy.

Anyway, those places do have their uses. Such as when intelligent career women get all Bridget Jones after a couple of two many Pinot Gs, miss their train home and are starving hungry. I'd just like to point out that the girl spotted last night eating a large McChicken Sandwich meal, fanta and a Creme Egg McFlurry in the Manchester St Annes Square establishment was not me. At all.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    Clacton and the shanty town that is Jaywick. Not to forget the holiday resort called Seawick. A nice touch of the Seawick caravan park is the onsite tattoo and betting shops.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    Abingdon.

Controversial I know. On the Thames, affluent. But ruined by an utterly demented amount of traffic and so absolutely chocked full of indignant yoghurt knitters that its a challenge not to commit, over confident yahoo induced murder on any given visit.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Wouldn't it be easier to have a " the ten British towns worth living in?" I don't think there are many more...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    Yossie wrote:
    I'm being sent to Aldershot for a while at the end of next month - I'll keep you updated in a typical Yossie way when I can, but put it this way, I don't think it'll be Tuscany .......

Aldershot doesn't exist any more. It's now called Little Nepal.

Make sure you visit your doctor for jabs prior to departure, you'll need them! :shock:
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Why? Do Nepalese people harbour disease?
  • migrantwing
    migrantwing Posts: 385
    I saw Walsall on the list. Yes, it's a sh*thole. Wolverhampton is a sh*thole, too. Unfortunately, for me, I live in a little town situated between the two. Complete sh*thole!
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    jim453 wrote:
    Why? Do Nepalese people harbour disease?

Nope, but Aldershot does!
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    I would like to offer Daventry for consideration. Without a single shadow of a doubt the biggest carbuncle on the backside of humanity, the vilest dive of a dump you will ever visit, a sink of bohemian depravity. If a bomb went off in Daventry destroying most of the town it would cause about a ten million pounds worth of improvements. I have never been to Basra, but I think it would be preferable to visiting Davnetry again. If you ever get chance to go to Daventry, don't. Just Don't.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Vesterberg wrote:
    UPDATE

Ok, I think a shitlist of 20 is large enough, the festering scabs in your regions are:

North West Shitholes
    Skelmsersdale
    Blackpool
    Bradford
    Runcorn

Despite Yossies brilliant and impassioned plea for Alsager, I'm lumping it in with Stoke.

These will go into a Poll and the for the winner I will start an online petition to have it prefixed with '$hit' for example 'shoot Walsall' or for all civic and road signs to have 'Voted Britain's Shittest Town' underneath. More than 100k and it has to be debated at least.

just a couple of points, You've missed Rochdale off the North West - its got another vote now msmanc has joined the Oldham posse and it's worthily horrible. I think both Bradford and the North West would object to them being lumped together. should be that there yarkshur for Bratfa to go in.
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Anyone mentioned Keighley yet?...

Bradford 's obvious, but fekkin Leeds is a pig's toilet aswell, but for some reason people like it?

"it's got Harvey Nicks"

So what, that's like finding a flawed pearl in a dog turd.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    ^^^ I can't argue with it.

Leeds is superb in some respects, is fantastically placed for outdoors stuff, 30 mins bike ride and your on the edge of the Dales etc, hour and a half drive to the Lakes, Peaks, hour to North Yorks, 2 to Wales, 3 to Scotland, 2 hours on the train to londinium.

But Leeds is dirty. Filthy, littr everywhere, chavs the same. No significant concert venues, sports centre, large swimming pools, no velodrome, no trams, metro or underground, minor arts galleries. It's really crap in a lot of ways. Full stop.
    Peter
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I've only been to Leeds once to play the University at lacrosse. I was shocked at how shyyyyte it was when we drove in and only too glad to see the back of it as we drove out. Horrible place.

Not as bad as the toilet of England that is Alsager though ……..
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    Leeds is great if you're a student. I imagine it's not so good if you're a real person though.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Anywhere in urban Leicester. Beautiful county scenery fucked up by the dross in the middle.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Seacombe (Not so much a town, but a sh8t hole)
    Liscard (Friendly town, everyone's related duelling banjo style)
    Birkenhead (They moved the scum from here to Seacombe)
    "Cycling isn't a game, it's a sport. Tough, hard and unpitying, and it requires great sacrifices.
    One plays football, or tennis, or hockey. One doesn't play at Cycling."
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    philthy3 wrote:
    Anywhere in urban Leicester. Beautiful county scenery farked up by the dross in the middle.

I've spent quite a bit of time in the Leicestershire countryside - stunning vistas spoiled by the absolute amount of trash in the hedgerows: its like people drive out there to chuick their rubbish in each and every hedge they find.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Having visited the heliport many times in the last year i can only say that Great Yarmouth gets my vote, a real shi@hole of a place. Sheerness in Kent is almost as bad. To think that people actually live in these places.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    ademort wrote:
    To think that people actually exist in these places.

FTFY
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Read the posting again. I wrote to think that people live in these places and not to think that people exist in these places.Obviously you come from one of the Shi@holes mentioned.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I think you've sort of missed my point here ademort...
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    I wouldn't be a geordie if I didn't say sunderland..
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    You can add Telford to that list of Midland's shitholes. Surely the discussion ends with Stoke, can't imagine a single less pleasant place in the England!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Rigged wrote:
    You can add Telford to that list of Midland's shitholes. Surely the discussion ends with Stoke, can't imagine a single less pleasant place in the England!

I can, Corby - unfortunately I don't need to imagine it though (and this is having spent quite a bit of time in Longton, Stoke-on-Trent)!!
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Foolishly went to Leicester yesterday. What a horrible place.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Frodscum in Cheshire - bunch of octogenerian nimbies who all need a good dose of 20th Century.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Cumbernauld, fortunately only ever passing through
    Livingston, just sucks the life out of you
    Denny wasn't that bad when I lived there, the town centre does the place no favours.

The worst place though, surprised no-one seems to have mentioned it

Holyhead. I remembered it as a dump when I was younger, went back once realised it was worse, much worse
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.