Shittest town in the UK?

Vesterberg
Vesterberg Posts: 330
edited March 2018 in The bottom bracket
UPDATE

Ok, I think a shitlist of 20 is large enough, the festering scabs in your regions are:

Welsh Shitholes:
Merthyr Tydfil
Newport
Cwmbran
Rhyl
South West Shitholes
Swindon
Midland Shitholes
Stoke-on-trent
Corby
Walsall
Ilkeston
North East Shitholes
Middlesborough
Gateshead
North West Shitholes
Skelmsersdale
Blackpool
Bradford
Runcorn
South East Shitholes
Luton
Milton Keynes
Peterborough
Scottish Shitholes
Cumbernauld
Denny

Despite Yossies brilliant and impassioned plea for Alsager, I'm lumping it in with Stoke.

These will go into a Poll and the for the winner I will start an online petition to have it prefixed with '$hit' for example 'Shit Walsall' or for all civic and road signs to have 'Voted Britain's Shittest Town' underneath. More than 100k and it has to be debated at least.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I think you are being hard on Northampton there - it's not the happiest place in the world but it could be a hell of a lot worse. It could be Swindon.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • It could be quite Shitty in Broardbottom
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Blackpool. That is all.
  • davehmercer
    davehmercer Posts: 82
    edited April 2012
    I'd like to put Croydon up for that award!

Having lived there for most of my life I can confirm its pretty shitty! I have managed to get away but still work there :(

Thanks
    :D
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Luton?
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    one word...........skelmersdale, id rather live in that bog in trainspotting than skem.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I'm reminded of the Idler book on Crap Towns.

"It's...The...1960's Town Planners!

Gentlemen. If it looks like a bunker, smells like a bunker and allows sunlight in like a bunker: logic dictates-then-that- it is a library, or a school, hospital or town hall."

Top in that one - Hull - the gateway to Europe :shock:
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    On LEJOG last year rode through outskirts of Cumbernauld and centre of Denny. I would have both on your list.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Canvey Island

It's not hell, but you can see it fom there!!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Shitterton, Dorset?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Middlesborough. The End.

Middlesbrough ain't a bad town at all, it's just the town everyone loves to hate. Granted there's a lot of nobs around the place on a Friday and Saturday night but pan 180 degrees and you've got some of the best cycling routes and scenery in the country. The End.

Spend a few years in Huntingdon, Kettering or Corby then see what you think about Boro.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Bathgate or Great Yarmouth.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Places where I've played gigs and found to be absolutely miserable:

- Stoke on Trent
    - Margate
    - Yeovil

and on account of being stabbed in the leg, I have to add

- Southend on Sea
  • Plenty of total sh!te holes in Scotland, Kilbirnie in North Ayrshire would be high up on my list of places to avoid. As mentioned above Cumbernauld is a dump, same as Motherwell, Coatbridge, Livingston and most of Glasgow!
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Grantham. Won a poll not long back as the most boring town in Britain, and it gave us Maggie!!! thats reason enough alone.

Redeems itself because of Isaac Newton , but he was actually born in Woolsthorpe (6 miles away).
  • Wouldn't agree with Portsmouth, some bad areas but an interesting and historic City. Wiggle also live there, should I complain?

I'd agree about Margate however.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Despite being Hucknall born and bred the town now is a pale shadow of it's former self.

Blackpool, smells of shit and is awful.
    Redditch, on account of the football teams supporters.
    Grantham, Thanks Tim although it seems harsh blaming the town itself. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Another one for Skelmersdale here. It is uncomfortably close to us at the moment but having driven through that miracle of New Town Planning populated by plastic scallies I can honestly say that wiping it off the map and starting again could not be construed as too drastic.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited April 2012
    Merthyr Tydfil and Ebbw Vale. Utter crapholes of the highest order.

A lot of South Wales makes Mordor look like Center Parcs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Burton
    Ilkeston
    Blackpool
    Skegness
    Dover
    Ramsgate

Cities - Birmingham, head and shoulders above/below anywhere else
  • Blackburn
    Burnley
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Heanor-mystery why anyone lives there.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • jordan_217 wrote:
    Middlesborough. The End.

Middlesbrough ain't a bad town at all, it's just the town everyone loves to hate. Granted there's a lot of nobs around the place on a Friday and Saturday night but pan 180 degrees and you've got some of the best cycling routes and scenery in the country. The End.

Spend a few years in Huntingdon, Kettering or Corby then see what you think about Boro.

Don't tell everyone mate!

Yeh it's a shit hole. Don't come here, or i'll fight you personally :wink:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    Another vote for the $hithole that is Skelmersdale

And after today's visit I would add the city full of shops that are either closed down, closing down, pound-shops or pawnbrokers - Preston
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Rochdale has some awful grim bits. Huddersfield always feels like a trip back to the 70s and South Elmsall is like the theme park for those 60s kitchen sink depresso-dramas, the whole hovel is in Black & White, but the mouldiest growth on the turd of existence is Rhyl.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    oh, obviously I forgot to add Leicester. It wins praise for being multicultural, but integrated it aint! The city is a dreary grey/brown mess and the city council do their very best to spend regeneration money on making it worse - a 'Cultural quarter' on the outskirts of the most crime ridden, drug riddled, gang divided estate in the county. Good thinking batman.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    For Gods sake, Bradford.

The Council / government ripped the city centre out too a few years ago for... wait for it.... a marina!
    Then the recession hit and they simply put a cheap fence around most of the city centre and left it as the development couldn't be funded.

As city it is one huge sh!t hole.

Good curries though.
    Peter
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    Used to live about 4 miles from Skem, but have never truly visited the place, why would you?
    Wolverhampton was pretty rancid the half day I spent there.
    8 years in Rotherham and no desire to go back there, other than visit Planet X :-)
  • Can't believe nobody's mentioned Slough yet.