Shittest town in the UK?

Comments

• byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    I wouldn't be a geordie if I didn't say sunderland..

So you wouldn't be offended if I say North Shields is a shite place? The town centre - litter everywhere, if the wind is coming from the west you get the sewage works at Howdon assulting your nostrils. If it ain't that then it's some lowlife chav assulting you. And the locals? Grrrrrr, don't spill their pints!
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    Frodscum in Cheshire - bunch of octogenerian nimbies who all need a good dose of 20th Century.

Think thats bad try Helsby! or any of the dross over the pond below them ( Runcorn old and new, Widnes, Ellesmere Port )
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    I wouldn't be a geordie if I didn't say sunderland..

Spent day wondering around Sunderland when my girlfriend went for a interview at the Uni. Yeh it's pretty crap. Not completely terrible like. But the students Uni did have a Greggs in it :?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Eastleigh - Hovel just north of Southampton.

Whitstable - Apparently famous for fine eateries and art galleries. My 4r5e!

Port Talbot - Hell on Earth. Or rather Hell in South Wales.

Bridgewater - Webbed Feet mandatory requirement for residence.

March - All the women look like Brian Moore (ex England RFU hooker).
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Oldham is my new number 1 - good god almighty what an absolute craphole - people of alsager I apologise - you live in an eden compared to Oldham.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Oldham is my new number 1 - good god almighty what an absolute craphole - people of alsager I apologise - you live in an eden compared to Oldham.

Get yersel to Droylsden for real grot
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Shirebrook. A semi-derilect, ex-mining village in Notts.
    God it's grim, more boarded-up pubs, shops & houses than anywhere else I've been. Some realy ugly, fat inhabitants too.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Shirebrook. A semi-derilect, ex-mining village in Notts.
    God it's grim, more boarded-up pubs, shops & houses than anywhere else I've been. Some realy ugly, fat inhabitants too.

Unless we`ve done a swop (you can have Cotmanhay) Shirebrook is in Derbyshire
    Its not all bad though :D

The town is the head quarters of Sports World International, the UK's largest sports clothes retailer.

On 19 May 2008 Shirebrook featured on Tonight on ITV1. It showed various places including Sports Direct, Shirebrook Market, the now demolished Empire Bingo/Cinema and also Carter Lane Social Club.

In 2011, planning permission was sought to build a new 30,000 sq/ft Tesco superstore on the location of flats on Portland Road.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    You're right, it is just over the border.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Had to laugh about Eastleigh, Hants. Nothing to it, just lots of houses and a Wetherspoons. It's a railway town (apparently said by locals in an attempt to excuse how pish it is) - think Crewe without the charm.

Anyway, Mrs BBGeek has asked me to point out some more North Walian sh*t holes, so here we go:
    Blaenau Ffestiniog (can't even spell it properly!). Slate, rain, more slate and heroin addiction.
    Bethesda, Gwynedd. Slate, rain. Unfriendly locals, awful welcome. Mrs BBGeek was here many years ago on a Duke of Edinburgh's expedition and had a fried woodlouse in her chips from the chippy. She complained, and they didn't give a toss. Perhaps concerned the others would expect one. Like introducing guacamole.
    Prestatyn. Rain, not so much slate, but more heroin. And crack.

Still, you could move to Holyhead. Like Dover without the charm.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Swindon wins hands down, rubbish town centre, terminally stupid population
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    General question to the Swindonites ( Swindonistas?.. ) I really don't know. Anyhow, how many Wetherspoons? And Greggs'? IMHO the greater the number of Spoonies + number of Greggs= shite quotient + lots
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415

Get yersel to Droylsden for real grot

Have to argue against that one, Cleat. People in Rochdale think Oldham's quite posh. They go for a night out when they want cheap beer and a minor stabbing. But it does have a Waterstones and a Debenhams.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    MS Mancuia: why not move to
    Britain's REAL second city: Birmingham?
    You know you want to
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    General question to the Swindonites ( Swindonistas?.. ) I really don't know. Anyhow, how many Wetherspoons? And Greggs'? IMHO the greater the number of Spoonies + number of Greggs= shite quotient + lots

2 Greggs - Weathersoons closed
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    WTF? If this is true, then Swindon is the town that defeated Wetherspoon's.
    On that basis alone, it should be a place of pilrgrimage, not hatred
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040

{sigh} I can remember when 'spoons offered the promise of a range of real ales in a friendly noise-free pub. What went wrong? :?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    brucey72 wrote:
    Agreed, an absolute dump. When they were demolishing the 'Get Carter' carpark they should have just carried on and done the whole town at the same time.

The Get Carter car park has gone?

That was on my list of places to see
  • BSRU
    BSRU Posts: 74
    You have been deceived.
    There are four Weatherspoons in Swindon, three of them in the town centre with a few minutes walk of each other, they are the most popular pubs in Swindon.
    There are three Greggs, all in the town centre and a few minutes walk apart.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I always thought Croydon was bad, but not awful. Cycled through part of it last week, that was one of the most grim places I've ever been (not just in this country).
    exercise.png
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    TheStone wrote:
    I always thought Croydon was bad, but not awful. Cycled through part of it last week, that was one of the most grim places I've ever been (not just in this country).
    Its always grey and cloudy in Croydon.

Even when its sunny.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Just to reiterate how sh1te Rochdale is, even the Guardian has given my commute it's own photo montage today - looks even more depressing than I thought possible:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/gall ... 4&index=13
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    msmancunia wrote:
    Just to reiterate how sh1te Rochdale is, even the Guardian has given my commute it's own photo montage today - looks even more depressing than I thought possible:

Looks like a tourist promo for the Cotswolds compared to Amber Valley-wheres the burnt out cars,crack dens and takeaway grooming parlours?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Had to laugh about Eastleigh, Hants. Nothing to it, just lots of houses and a Wetherspoons. It's a railway town (apparently said by locals in an attempt to excuse how pish it is) - think Crewe without the charm.

In Eastleigh's defence, at least it's not Andover - now there's a dump. Badly signposted ring roads, soulless retail parks sited on said ring roads, badly-built rabbit warren housing estates for London overspill - essentially it's Basingstoke having a bad day at the office.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Blancmange
    Blancmange Posts: 103
    Kippax, West Yorkshire.
    - Slave to the cadence -
  • Wheelie Bin
    Wheelie Bin Posts: 162
    Can I nominate a whole county? Lancashire.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    dont know if its been said before but my vote goes for Stockton-on-Tees.

Hardly any shops left and when the local McDonalds closes and buggers off there has to be something wrong
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    msmancunia wrote:

Ah now come on, local knowlege and all that. That's kinda my commute too, when I'm working in Manchester, Much as I hate to defend Rochdale, having slated it early on in this thread but your link is Oldham Road and specifically Newton Heath, bit of a stretch to call it Rochdale.

Interesting to see barely honest lazy journalism going strong: 3 photos of the same derelict club and 2 of the badly sited Focus DIY store that was never going to survive there, 50 yards away on a busy commuter link road 8 miles long. That small stretch is pretty run down until you go 50 yards one way to see plenty of still open businesses and 50 yards the other to see the new houses they're building on the once derelict l'Oreal factory site and not much further on to see the regeneration of the old Sharp factory and business park behind it and etc....

good point tho, Newton Heath is a desperately grim place.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Cwmbran - so bad even the dogs go around in pairs!

2vt1dog.jpg

The only inspiring thing about Cwmbran is that it inspires you to leave pretty much as soon as you can!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • dont know if its been said before but my vote goes for Stockton-on-Tees.

Hardly any shops left and when the local McDonalds closes and buggers off there has to be something wrong

Probably putting a Greggs there.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015