Shittest town in the UK?

Comments

• snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    dont know if its been said before but my vote goes for Stockton-on-Tees.

Hardly any shops left and when the local McDonalds closes and buggers off there has to be something wrong

Probably putting a Greggs there.

not sure if another Greggs would work, although they do have about 3 cooplands (like greggs but cheaper). :wink:

coming from middlesbrough originally i spent many a day in Stockton and quite a few drunken nights too but it really has gone downhill now.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    JesseD wrote:
    Cwmbran - so bad even the dogs go around in pairs!

2vt1dog.jpg

The only inspiring thing about Cwmbran is that it inspires you to leave pretty much as soon as you can!

Come on, Cwmbran's only 5 miles from Newport and is paradise in comparison (I live between the 2 so in a good place to judge!).
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    I'm close to Middlesbrough and dont really see why it gets such a bashing when there are so many worse towns out there. Its pretty buoyant in terms of shopping, nightlife is hit & miss and there are some estates where I wouldnt bring up a dog, never mind a human being but its proximity to coast & country means that there are some very nice areas too.

North East alone has Stockton, Gateshead, Peterlee, Bishop Auckland, Stanley, Spennymoor, Hartlepool.
    North West I didnt think much of Preston, Blackpool, Stoke is an absolute shithole.
    Places like Bradford, Batley, Dewsbury to name a few without even going over to some of the run down places on the opposite side of the border...
    Scotland has plenty of deprived small towns around Ayrshire, so many that its one after the next when you're driving up that side of the country.
    Too many shitholes in London to list. Oddly enough, you get very salubrious places right next to complete and utter deprivation. Crazy place.
  • dylanfernley
    dylanfernley Posts: 409
    love all the people who slag off places on looks
    suppose you fall for the lovely cottage/village bullshit---- places are about people as much as anything else, so unless you've lived there its pretty irrelevant , and i don't mean as a 'student'.

Would not like to live anywhere without a community
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    love all the people who slag off places on looks
    suppose you fall for the lovely cottage/village bullshit---- places are about people as much as anything else, so unless you've lived there its pretty irrelevant , and i don't mean as a 'student'.

I didn’t live in 1970s Cambodia or 1930s Russia but that doesn’t stop me being fairly sure that the experience of either would have been second rate.

And looks are a good start; I don’t want to live in a piss-stink world of rust stained concrete. However they don’t have that big a drive on desirability; plenty of places in London are awful looking (and smell…) but are desirable & expensive.

When people give a town grief it’s because of a combination of terrible, crumbling architecture, failing services & infrastructure and, as suggested, the people; the aforementioned factors tend to be attended by high crime, feral youth and general impoverishment. A lot of people are willing to deal with the social dessert of commuter land to be away from that (though calling it a "trade off" ignores that the middle class don't tend to structure their social networks on proximity.)
  • dylanfernley
    dylanfernley Posts: 409
    my point was that cursory looks about places are deceiving, your remarks about decay, etc are sterotypical, do you think people choose to live in these places, or has fate dealt some a bad hand--- surely we all try and make the most of what we've got, some people have to try a lot harder than others
  • snoopsmydogg
    my point was that cursory looks about places are deceiving, your remarks about decay, etc are sterotypical, do you think people choose to live in these places, or has fate dealt some a bad hand--- surely we all try and make the most of what we've got, some people have to try a lot harder than others

Spent the best part of 25 years in middlesbrough and dont live far away now. The town is ok and council has tried to make it better but even the regeneration areas have slipped. The best feature is around the courts but even that is tarred with all the used needles lying around.

The parks if entered after dark are done at your own risk for the amount of social scum but they know no different since most grew up in a similar environment. I spent a lot of my youth hanging around the parks drinking etc but the latest chav has little or no respect at all.

Sure we only know about areas we have been but having travelled and lived in various places over the years middlesbrough hae to be one of the worst (coming from a smoggy at heart)

As crap as it is though its still 100 times better than stockton :wink:
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Crewe, terrific little place :D Never seen such a concentrated amount of chavs in any area before, at least in Bolton they're spread out over a large area. It does have its good points, 3 small bike shops all who hate each other and easy access to the country which is lovely.

Used to do voluntary work at a charity shop smack bang in the middle of chav central, the amount of scrotes I've caught nicking stuff. Funny thing is they all seem to know me down there now, so I get waves and hugs off these people who think I'm one of their own.

Incidently, went to Denmark in late May and it's paradise! Great for biking, lovely countryside, cars respect cyclists and no chavs, anywhere. ooo and the roads, smooth and clean, hardly any trash anywhere.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Bunneh wrote:
    Incidently, went to Denmark in late May and it's paradise! Great for biking, lovely countryside, cars respect cyclists and no chavs, anywhere. ooo and the roads, smooth and clean, hardly any trash anywhere.

More importantly, what were the bacon butties like?
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Spent the best part of 25 years in middlesbrough and dont live far away now. The town is ok and council has tried to make it better but even the regeneration areas have slipped. The best feature is around the courts but even that is tarred with all the used needles lying around.

The parks if entered after dark are done at your own risk for the amount of social scum but they know no different since most grew up in a similar environment. I spent a lot of my youth hanging around the parks drinking etc but the latest chav has little or no respect at all.

Sure we only know about areas we have been but having travelled and lived in various places over the years middlesbrough hae to be one of the worst (coming from a smoggy at heart)

As a former Redcar resident I felt the need to move a long way away from the area once I was 18 :) Not sure which bit of Teesside is worst, but Billingham surely deserves an honourable mention as an armpit of a place.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • jordan_217
    Stevo 666 wrote:

As a former Redcar resident I felt the need to move a long way away from the area once I was 18 :) Not sure which bit of Teesside is worst, but Billingham surely deserves an honourable mention as an armpit of a place.

Billingham Forum - hello!
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • snoopsmydogg
    jordan_217 wrote:

Billingham Forum - hello!

ah yes, who could forget the forum and going to the 'ice' on a friday night :wink: shame it had to be closed for months for asbestos removal :lol:
  • Stevo 666 wrote:

My GFs sister lives there, had to drop her off the other day, Jesus Christ it's like The Hills Have Eyes. Don't understand the fuss about dumping radioactive waste in the salt mines below the down, they can't get any more mutated...

The town centre looks shut at like 1pm on a saturday.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • jordan_217
    I'm willing to forgive Boro of all it's sins on the basis that it has some amazing places to ride. In fact, I've planned a 'family visit' that will consist of Grandparents having quality time with the kids and me having some quality time on my bike :D

As you climb up Clay Bank you actually get above the smog line.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Crewe.

A train station, a football stadium and a high street full of cafés "currently being refurbished".
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • jordan_217 wrote:
    I'm willing to forgive Boro of all it's sins on the basis that it has some amazing places to ride. In fact, I've planned a 'family visit' that will consist of Grandparents having quality time with the kids and me having some quality time on my bike :D

There's no smog anymore, there's no work!

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 wrote:

So, I can't use the 'I'm usually a mountain goat but this smog is affetcing me' excuse? :(

Funny I usually see more Ferraris and Lambos parked outside The Fountain on Ormesby Hight St, than anywhere else. Now I wonder what 'those people' do for a living ?!?! :roll:
  • jordan_217 wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

So, I can't use the 'I'm usually a mountain goat but this smog is affetcing me' excuse? :(

Funny I usually see more Ferraris and Lambos parked outside The Fountain on Ormesby Hight St, than anywhere else. Now I wonder what 'those people' do for a living ?!?! :roll:

Just your friendly neighbourhood racketeer/police informant/drug dealer.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Crewe.

A train station, a football stadium and a high street full of cafés "currently being refurbished".

Crewe is actually all right when you get used to it - the Croutons are amusing quite helpful bunch, the town is so rubbish that it is actually quite good and they all realise that Alsager, which is just up the road, is Mordor full of paedophile rapists.

Gresty Road chip shop opposite Gresty Road footy stadium (the home of the Mighty Alex) does the best fish cakes in the North West, the student girls at the local polyversity are usually quite easy they all hate the resident chavs.

Its also central to escape to anywhere you want.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Yeah, Stockton is a bad place! Gone down hill more so the past few years, currently awaiting what this "regeneration" will do for the area, if anything! :roll:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • I grew up in Hull and have family in Plymouth. I try to visit both as little as possible. Hull is depressing enough with its high unemployment, teenage pregnancy and town centre full of takeaways, hairdressers and tattoo parlours.

Possibly more depressing than that are some of the outlying towns/villages. One noteworthy example being Hedon. On the plus side there are a couple of quite nice old pubs there. On the minus side to the south is the BP chemical plant and to the west is a sewage works which makes the place permanently smell like a month old portaloo. Add to that a population who's sperm and eggs seem to have been genetically altered by said sewage/chemical plants to produce a less intelligent, more aggressive version of people and you can see why they built the Hedon Bypass.

The closest seaside town is Withernsea. Lets just say, that's where the people from Hedon would go when the sewage smell becomes unbearable. It's a drab place that hasn't seen any development since the 1980's with its half empty "amusement" arcades and gangs of chavs running around seeing who can be the most obnoxious and intimidating.

Here is an actual picture from the tourism webtsite:

NorthPromSnow_500px1.jpg

That really is as nice as it gets. The cunning thing about this picture is that the snow hides the dogshit, used condoms, empty crisp packets and discarded 3litre bottles of White Litening.

There probably are worse places... but not many.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    The closest seaside town is Withernsea. Lets just say, that's where the people from Hedon would go when the sewage smell becomes unbearable. It's a drab place that hasn't seen any development since the 1980's with its half empty "amusement" arcades and gangs of chavs running around seeing who can be the most obnoxious and intimidating.

Here is an actual picture from the tourism webtsite:

NorthPromSnow_500px1.jpg

That really is as nice as it gets. The cunning thing about this picture is that the snow hides the dogshit, used condoms, empty crisp packets and discarded 3litre bottles of White Litening.

Cue Morrissey singing "this is the seaside town that they forgot to close down...." ;)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Seacombe (Not so much a town, but a sh8t hole)
    Liscard (Friendly town, everyone's related duelling banjo style)
    Birkenhead (They moved the scum from here to Seacombe)

THIS!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I grew up in Hull and have family in Plymouth.
    The closest seaside town is Withernsea.

I think I went there once!

Is that the place where there are two little chippys/cafes under a prom?

When I was there they were in a price war, both trying to undercut the other over the cost of a cone of chips! I was only passing through, but I sometimes remember and wonder which one was first to go bust .

The older I get, the better I was.

• d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Herne bay kent

faversham kent [highest rate of incest in the uk]

medway towns kent

dover kent

folkestone kent

ashford kent

I'd add Margate and Ramsgate to that lot. Oh and Cleethorpes (not in Kent) :(
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I heard some today describe Skem as like a bonus level on Super Mario Kart. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Thread resurrection for a new entry.

I got told last week I needed to visit a site in Houghton Regis. I'd never heard of the place and originally thought it would be a south coast seaside town and hopefully more Lyme Regis than Bognor Regis. However, on being told it was near Luton I was thinking maybe a nice old Bedfordshire village. Imagine my disappoint on arriving and seeing the run down 1950s local shops and sprawling, depressing housing estate. Luton itself is a stinking ar$ehole but Houghton Regis is the festering boil on that ar$ehole. Fortunately it was a short visit!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    edited March 2018
    It's Still Alsager, the paedo centre of the world. I understand that the local population rape cats and dogs in Alsager.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    edited March 2018
    Glossop - It might be surrounded by lovley countryside on three sides, but it's a dump, I should know, I lived there for over 30 years.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royston_Vasey (Hadfield)

I lived with a girl from Glossop when I was at university. She was a right imbecile.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Yossie wrote:
    Alsager, Stoke on Trent: Absolute hell hole of nothingness populated by half witted inbreds who think that they are something special. Its an awful haven of chavs, Daily Mail readers, and brainless plebs who despise anything or anyone that isn't from Alsager.

There is absolutely nothing to do in or outside of the town and these people seem proud of it. There is no architecture of any purpose, no shops, no history behind the town, no culture (in fact anything cerebral and deemed as cultural is actively protested against), no decent restaurants or pubs or anything. It's a funkin' hell hole dive of the lowest order. No local sports clubs, no cinema, no theatre, no arts centre, nothing. I'd actually be surprised if the library was still open. Nothing of note or worth has ever happened there before and I will wager all my bikes, my record collection and my children that nothing of worth will ever happen there.

It's an awful shyyyt hole of characterless hell based around a piddly little puddle in the middle where chavs congregate to impregnate each with the foul bile like fluid that emanates from their pox ridden nether regions and old men go to spank off over Razzle and school girls- the same under age slappers who believe that they are all Cheryl Cole but more like Jo Brand (and who will all be pregnant by the time they are 15 anyway and sponging off society).

Darlings - wake up - you're all slappers and you'll never pull a footballer. The closest you'll get to that is getting impregnated by some chav with a grade 1 at the back and sides and a grade 3 on top with 4 earrings, crap tats and a mismatched tracksuit on a football pitch.

Please can we run a petition to have it sunk?

One of life's great regrets is why the Germans didn't bomb it in the war. Although it has a bomb factory there that must have been quite handy at the time, I'm sure that Churchill, once he was briefed on what it was like, would have just lit a cigar and said something along the lines of "well, no great loss there then".

Trust me, I've been in some awful, awful, awful places in my time but Alsager wins the competition - hands down. I spent some time in the chemical zone outside of Bombay (where the chemical factories are, people living in cardboard boxes amongst muck and slowly dying members of their family, dead dogs floating down chemical factory waste ridden rivers - the saddest indictment of Third World exploitation that you'll ever see - heart breaking really) and it was better than Alsager. By miles.

It's a shame Yossie is no more. I miss him.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.