Shittest town in the UK?

Comments

• nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    This could be the worst journey in the world (apologies to Apsley Cherry Garrard here)

map.gif
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Vesterberg
    Vesterberg Posts: 330
    edited April 2012
    Update - see first post. Shortlist closing soon.

UPDATE

Ok, I think a shitlist of 20 is large enough, the festering scabs in your regions are:

Welsh Shitholes:
    Merthyr Tydfil
    Newport
    Cwmbran
    Rhyl
    South West Shitholes
    Swindon
    Midland Shitholes
    Stoke-on-trent
    Corby
    Walsall
    Ilkeston
    North East Shitholes
    Middlesborough
    Gateshead
    North West-ish Shitholes
    Skelmsersdale
    Blackpool
    Bradford
    Runcorn
    South East Shitholes
    Luton
    Milton Keynes
    Peterborough
    Scottish Shitholes
    Cumbernauld
    Denny

Despite Yossies brilliant and impassioned plea for Alsager, I'm lumping it in with Stoke.

These will go into a Poll and the for the winner I will start an online petition to have it prefixed with '$hit' for example '$hit Walsall' or for all civic and road signs to have 'Voted Britain's Shittest Town' underneath. More than 100k and it has to be debated at least.

Edit - BTW, I'm not having Dursley or Truro - way off the mark.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    postman wrote:
    I was once at a charity function,and one of the ladies told me in all honesty.That her town was the back of beyond and crap.That place was Barrow in Furness.

Barrow isn't so bad. Well, it is a bit crap but it has a certain charm to it! The old dockyard tennements are pretty cool and it's not a bad spot.
    Vesterberg wrote:
    Update - see first post. Shortlist closing soon.

Re Bradford (which is not in the Northwest!) - can't be the shittest town in the UK as it has the best pub in the UK!

I'll put in a vote for Liverpool. OK, it's a city rather than a town (but then so is Bradford!*) but it does stink badly. And the mawkish self pitying misery of the residents if they got the vote would be good fun to watch :lol:

* and Peterborough. You can't count Cities if the vote is for towns.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    If Luton weren't next door, I'd suggest Dunstable. Anywhere that has the A5 as it's high street is always going to struggle.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    nevman wrote:
    This could be the worst journey in the world (apologies to Apsley Cherry Garrard here)

map.gif

If you went as far north as the @rsehole of Britain SHIREBROOKE, it would be. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    i reckon this could be a shitty place - Bummers Hill, near Hare Street, Hertfordshire.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Found it!!!! It's in Dorset -

shitterton.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    Blackpool! its really grotty these days
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    nevman wrote:

map.gif

If you went as far north as the @rsehole of Britain SHIREBROOKE, it would be. :lol:

Everybody should take a trip to Shirebrook, that area is hell on earth. I've been there on a few occasions when i was a comms eng, it was always down to equipment/cable being stolen.
  • ploeb
    ploeb Posts: 19
    I want to defend Swindon!
    Its really not so bad.
    Old town is nice, old town gardens are nice.
    Lydiard Park and Coate are really nice.
    Its a safe place, there's hardly any crime.
    Its surrounded by amazing countryside, Marlborough downs, Barbury, Cotswolds etc etc.
    Its quite a cheap place to buy a house, but salaries are generally OK, so people have a bit of money.
    Ive been to much, much worse places.
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    Bozman wrote:
    nevman wrote:

map.gif

Everybody should take a trip to Shirebrook, that area is hell on earth. I've been there on a few occasions when i was a comms eng, it was always down to equipment/cable being stolen.

Some great sales at Sports Direct there though, and some great cycling around there. Other than that, no reason ever to go there.
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    is bradford not a city ?

in that case Sunderland should walk it
  • Can't believe no-one's mentioned Southampton yet. I have no idea why people choose to live there.
    Only to escape life in Eastleigh, whose postcode is unbelievably but I kid you not, SO50 5AD (to be read as a chav number plate - I am an aficionado, nay a connoissewer, of chavvy car number plates)
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    I went to Great Yarmouth last year. I had never visited the place before and referred to it as 'Great Yarmouth' until I saw it. I then realised that other people called it 'Yarmouth' and for good reason. If you gathered all the best features of a British seaside town, beaches, cliffs, coastline, fresh air, impressive hotels, pleasant public parks and esplanades; removed every one of them; you would end up with something a good bit better than Yarmouth. Dismal and that on a sunny day.

There was some slating of Rhyl, ever seen Prestatyn?
    The older I get the faster I was
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660

There was some slating of Rhyl, ever seen Prestatyn?

yeah, 2 ends of a very short very shitty stick, they kinda merge into one glob of awful.

oh and Mabelthorpe - the mobility scooter capital of the universe
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    nevman wrote:

map.gif

I have lived in Nottingham for most of my 30-year life with a spell in a few other places like Bolton, Wigan, Derby and Milton Keynes. I've also worked in Mansfield, Loughborough, London, Cardiff, Birmingham, Manchester, Ilkeston and indeed Heanor. The stretch of Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire you have selected is indeed truly dire as a collective. But as a single place for shittiness I still back either Milton Keynes or Leigh. Leigh is just full of pie-eating monsters and egg chasers. In my travels I've worked home delivery in most of the above towns/cities and have been robbed at both knife and gun point as well as surviving a heart attack and the docklands bomb in the 90's. Leigh is still the scariest place I've ever been.

My vote for Milton Keynes is based on the fact that in a week or more of working there I don't remember going back to the hotel the same way twice.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Millom
  • I think Stevenage is a contender.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Found it!!!! It's in Dorset -

shitterton.jpg

TERTON in Dorset was a lovely place until some maliscious forumite on Commuting Chat started a thread to find the town with the worse peppermint tea in Britain and launched an E petition to pre-fix the losers name.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I'd vote for Leeds, they're all sheep shaggers there.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    How on earth did we forget Whitley Bay? Makes Blackpool look like Monaco.

Also this site mentioned earlier has a top ten list;

http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/top-10-worst ... n-england/
    Peter
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    my top of the bottoms would be

1. Bradford - went there for a meeting once - sadly the meeting wasnt 'on what date should we level this sh1thole to the ground'

2. Birkenhead. - Its like the inhabitants have found a secret portal back to the swamp.

3. Skem - The place was a doodle on a town planners pad that somehow made it to stage 2.

4. Crewe/Alsager - went for an interview for a uni place - based on an old miltiary/muntions site - if that place would have gone up it would have caused 200,000 pounds worth of improvements.

5. Warrington - when you rely on the IRA to alter the place, you know you're in trouble.

6. Runcorn/Widnes - as if the accents weren't bad enough.

Dude, comment about warrington is unreasonable. Two children were killed in the event, if you are talking about terrorists bombing places in your opinion that should include London Manchester etc etc?
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Preston is being shown in all its wonderful glory on BBC1 right now. The Preston Passion is being filmed around the concrete carbuncle that is the Bus Station.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Have to add another vote for Chatham, the town in which Strongbow is seen as posh booze. If you could invent a nuclear weapon which destroyed everything except artificial ski slopes I'd use it on this crap-fest of a town.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    johnfinch wrote:
    Have to add another vote for Chatham, the town in which Strongbow is seen as posh booze. If you could invent a nuclear weapon which destroyed everything except artificial ski slopes I'd use it on this crap-fest of a town.

It does lay claim though to the Historic Royal Navy Dockyards which are pretty special.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Rolf F wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

It does lay claim though to the Historic Royal Navy Dockyards which are pretty special.

Very inadequate compensation.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    johnfinch wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Very inadequate compensation.

I think it's also known for the 'Chatham pocket', which is more in keeping with the original thread title.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    As a self confessed northern maaaankey wot abaat Laandaaan?

Aberdeen is hell.Most midland towns are pretty damn close.Went through corby once-not nice.The one thing most of these places heve in common is amongst the scumbags there are plenty of good decent people. Sorry cant vote for stoke, surgeon there mended me and the hospital -tho a victorian dump- was staffed by the best out of 4 hospitals i spent time in.
    Wolverhampton was my home town for a long time(i have escaped) parts are extremely grim, but again i find it saved by the people who can be so nice. Maybe its because im a relentlessly cheerful halfwit with very little imagination.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    edited April 2012
    mattshrops wrote:
    As a self confessed northern maaaankey wot abaat Laandaaan?

Good point. There are some very nice parts of London, of course, but these days it tends to leave me with the impression of being a grubby gangsters' paradise. :(
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Any of the towns in Bedfordshire.. But especially Bedford, Luton, Dunstable and Arlesey.

Once out of these towns there is some beautiful countryside and villages but the towns.. Shit holes all.