Silly Commuter Weight Loss

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    gained 0 over Xmas thanks to lurgy, must be the first time since i was about 15 i've not piled it on
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Can I play? what's the rules ?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    Only 1lb put on over Christmas. Aiming to lose 1st over next year. 1lb per month should be achievable
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    There is still too much Xmas pud, Xmas cake, choc & cheese in this house for me to weigh myself.
    I'm going to have to do it, just not yet.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • wolfsbane2k
    Quins wrote:
    Can I play? what's the rules ?
    Welcome.
    Anyone can play. Rules are simple. Always use the latest table, and never break it.

It's here for you own nudging, nothing else.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Quins
    Nothing happening when I tap select all from my iPad. Anyone else using iPad that can give me a steer?

Cheers
  • Tashman
    ................START.......TARGET..............NOW......SO FAR.........TO GO
    itboffin.......169lbs.......155lbs...........169lbs.........n/a.........14lbs
    Mr FPB.........80.0kg.......70.0kg...........77.4kg.......2.6kg.........7.4kg
    Ugo.Saint......72.1kg........68kg...........72.1kg..........n/a.........4.1kg
    Tashman...234lbs.........220lbs..........234lbs.........N/a........14lbs
  • Quins
    Ugo.Saint......72.1kg........68kg...........72.1kg..........n/a.........4.1kg
    Tashman...234lbs.........220lbs..........234lbs.........N/a........14lbs
    Quins.........13'10 .........12'7................13''7...........3lb.........14lbs.
  • itboffin
    FAIL and its not even 2017 yet

sigh! or should that be pie!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    'Tis the season of Birthday Cake - household birthdays on 30th, 31st, 2nd. I will need to weigh myself on Tuesday to set a benchmark for the year ahead. Also, still not finished the cheese.
    On the positive side, managed a pre-brekkie parkrun today, due to most of the kids regular Saturday activities not being on over the holidays.
  • mrfpb
    Good program on dieting on C4 last night. Suggests that cheese may not be the enemy I thought. I'm thinking of trying a 18/6 or 16/8 diet for a few weeks, thats packing all your eating into 6 or 8 hours per day.

My main weakness is late night snacking, so I see if I can mange without for a week or two.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    mrfpb wrote:
    diet for a few weeks
    There's your problem
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • mrfpb
    I meant I would try that model of dieting for a few weeks, it doesn't change the long term goal. But you're esentially right as I really need more willpower. Working from home most of the time does not encourage weight loss.
  • wolfsbane2k
    mrfpb wrote:
    Good program on dieting on C4 last night. Suggests that cheese may not be the enemy I thought. I'm thinking of trying a 18/6 or 16/8 diet for a few weeks, thats packing all your eating into 6 or 8 hours per day.

My main weakness is late night snacking, so I see if I can mange without for a week or two.

That was my killer as well. Prepping food for the following day at 9/10 pm it's a complete pain not to feel hungry.
    I've found that before I start prepping, i'll drink a pint of water and a half of milk, seems to curtail it for the half hour while I loiter in the kitchen.

I've also got a massive box of different flavour chewing gum just in case the will power really gives in, but with a stash of xmas cake, it's a challenge!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Finished the festive gluttony yesterday with a huge portion of fish and chips at the seaside, then back home to a serious assault on the cheese mountain while watching the C4 diet program :D . Last time I tried that particular combo I was carted off in an ambulance trying to pass a gallstone. Turned out my gallbladder was full of the things so I had it removed; now I can eat what I like which is part of the problem!
    This morning's weigh-in sees me at a mere 11 pounds heavier than I want to be, which considering the amount of food and drink I've consumed in the last 4 weeks, along with the lack of exercise due to my dodgy left knee, seems like a good result. Today I'm back on the 5:2, which is more a way of life than a diet. Finding it quite easy so far, but then I always have. Just need to dust off the spreadsheet so I can start plotting my return to non-racing snake.
  • Tashman
    The C4 programme failed entirely to mention any exercise. The guy eating 400g of cheese a day was a heavy manual worker which they skimmed over completely
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I was 107kg in March 16 and now I'm around 94kg... Most of it is muscle loss since I have never been a chunk, under 20% BF.

I feel better than ever and my riding has gone through the roof with the weight loss and fitness gains.

My new years resolution is to get back on the weights but stay around 92kg but a lot leaner, nearer 12-14% BF.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • mrfpb
    Tashman wrote:
    The C4 programme failed entirely to mention any exercise. The guy eating 400g of cheese a day was a heavy manual worker which they skimmed over completely

Yes - did they say he did 70hrs manual labour a week or was it 80? And tasting cheese was clearly part of his job. I don't think you'd meet anyone else consuming that much for breakfast.
  • keef66
    Tashman wrote:

Since it's panto season - Oh no they didn't! They were at pains to stress that you shouldn't try it at home unless you were doing an 80 hour week of outdoor, manual labour.

Maybe you missed that bit when you went back to the fridge for more cheese??

The weight loss stuff was interesting, and it was the point of the program after all, but I didn't hear them mention cardiovascular disease though. That was the reason for the demonisation of fat and cholesterol and an awful lot of flawed dietary advice / government policy in the first place. And it's an area where we are still hearing conflicting advice.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Hang on, he did 80 hours a week manual labour in his job as a cheese taster?

Sounds like my dream job.

Unless he had to taste blue cheese. Then I'll stick with insurance.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • keef66
    prawny wrote:
    Hang on, he did 80 hours a week manual labour in his job as a cheese taster?

Sounds like my dream job.

Unless he had to taste blue cheese. Then I'll stick with insurance.

He's a dairy farmer, the cheese tasting is just a perk. I'm sure he spends a lot of time moving animals and sh1t around too.

The cheese was from Jersey cows and the rinds given a final coating of ghee. Looked like the usual Dutch orange stuff; no signs of blue veins anywhere (ooer missus!)

Never found a cheese I don't like, blue ones included...
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    keef66 wrote:
    I'm sure he spends a lot of time moving animals

I don't think that's as hard as it looks .... cows and sheep and stuff move themselves, at best you would have to pick up a chicken ..... I suppose catching oiled pigs could be a good workout
  • itboffin
    keef66 wrote:

give this a sniff it might change your mind

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinking_Bishop_cheese
  • itboffin wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

you joking... that's delicious

I have drawn a line at the Sardinian cheese with maggots (casumarzu), but before I decided not to eat it anymore, I tried it and it was actually nice

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu
    left the forum March 2023
  • itboffin
    i hate all smelly cheeses

anyway this whole weight loss is off to a terrible start for me, i'm still struggling to shift the cold i picked up before xmas, were into week two of all day icy roads, so much so i've had to use the turbo.

As i'm still WFH i've been hovering up all the leftovers of which there are many due to the whole family being ill over the holidays.

its a calorie nightmare, this afternoon for lunch i had left over roast beef dinner with all the trimmings.
  • wolfsbane2k
    itboffin wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Yummy, stinking bishop. Got to be at mature & room temp too so the moment you cut it, it tries to escape its own smell by pouring off the plate.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Hmm. Tonight's weight loss plan, aka don't be a fat pig, has also failed.
    Got told that the 1/5 of a large Xmas cake was either to be eaten, or thrown out, to free up the side. Tonight's pudding, 1/10 Xmas cake. Tomorrow's snack? The rest :pig:
  • ................START.......TARGET..............NOW......SO FAR.........TO GO
    Ugo.Saint......72.1kg........68kg...........71.8kg..........0.3.........3.8kg
    Tashman........234lbs.........220lbs.........234lbs.........N/a.........14lbs
    Quins.........13'10 .........12'7...........13''7...........3lb.........14lbs.

Well, it's a start

Please let's keep using the code /code
    left the forum March 2023
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Quins.........13'10 .........12'7...........13''7...........3lb.........14lbs.
    Asprilla.......73.5kg.........69kg..........73.5kg..........n/a.........4.5kg

Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mrfpb
    edited January 2017
    Corrected for starting weight as of 3rd Jan
    Mr FPB.........77.4kg.......70.0kg...........77.4kg.......0.0kg.........7.4kg
    Quins..........13'10 .........12'7...........13''7...........3lb.........14lbs.
    Asprilla.......73.5kg.........69kg..........73.5kg..........n/a.........4.5kg