Silly Commuter Weight Loss

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    ................START.......TARGET..............NOW......SO FAR.........TO GO
    itboffin.....173.8lbs.......155lbs...........165lbs......8.8lbs.........10lbs
    spasy..........72.2kg.........67kg...........66.7kg.......5.5kg........-0.3kg
    Ugo..............77kg.........69kg...........68.9kg.......8.1kg........-0.1kg
    imatfaal.........78kg.........74kg...........73.6kg.......4.0kg.........-0.4kg
    whatleytom.....83.6kg.........75kg...........85kg........+1.4kg.........10kg
    Wolfsbane2k.....127kg........113kg..........125.0kg.......2.0kg..........12kg
    Mr FPB.........80.0kg.......70.0kg...........77.7kg.......2.3kg.........7.7kg
    IP.............75.0kg.......69.0kg...........72.0kg.......3.0kg...........3kg
    JZed..........111.0kg.......93.0kg..........103.0kg.......8.0kg........10.0kg
    dhope..........74.5kg.......69.5kg...........73.2kg.......1.3kg.........3.7kg
    stu-bim.......109.8kg.......90.0kg..........104.5kg.......5.3kg........14.5kg
    London-Red.....87.1kg.........80kg...........81.9kg.......5.2kg.........1.9kg
    pangolin......101.5kg.........92kg..........101.5kg.......0.0kg.........9.5kg

A month after hitting target weight I am still around and about it which is pleasing. Not even having to be silly on the food intake - have got quite used to avoiding crap and more days than not I am ensuring I eat a bit more than I feel necessary because I am quite happy at this weight
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    ................START.......TARGET..............NOW......SO FAR.........TO GO
    itboffin.....173.8lbs.......155lbs...........165lbs......8.8lbs.........10lbs
    spasy..........72.2kg.........67kg...........66.7kg.......5.5kg........-0.3kg
    Ugo..............77kg.........69kg...........68.9kg.......8.1kg........-0.1kg
    imatfaal.........78kg.........74kg...........73.6kg.......4.0kg.........-0.4kg
    whatleytom.....83.6kg.........75kg...........85kg........+1.4kg.........10kg
    Wolfsbane2k.....127kg........113kg..........122.0kg.......5.0kg..........9kg
    Mr FPB.........80.0kg.......70.0kg...........77.7kg.......2.3kg.........7.7kg
    IP.............75.0kg.......69.0kg...........72.0kg.......3.0kg...........3kg
    JZed..........111.0kg.......93.0kg..........103.0kg.......8.0kg........10.0kg
    dhope..........74.5kg.......69.5kg...........73.2kg.......1.3kg.........3.7kg
    stu-bim.......109.8kg.......90.0kg..........104.5kg.......5.3kg........14.5kg
    London-Red.....87.1kg.........80kg...........81.9kg.......5.2kg.........1.9kg
    pangolin......101.5kg.........92kg..........101.5kg.......0.0kg.........9.5kg

End of month weigh in, pleasantly surprised to lose another couple of kg.
    Managed to cut down bread to lunch once a week, and replaced some meat with quorn, but still occasionally smacking on bad food ( today was five hob nobs :oops: ) to go with my snack of hummous and stuff and a lunch of pulled pork & gherkin sarnie.

Eating more nuts and dried fruit against prepared choc bars ( 1 bar so month), which can only be a good thing I'm sure.

How is everyone else doing?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    I'm just about to get moving again after a study enforced heads down period. I'm currently 110kg and would ultimately like to get down to 90kg will look at small targets to get me there. I know that i need to cut out the snacking and away from the Haribo! (Tangfastics are my Kryptonite) Oh and get some miles in now my knee is well on the mend :)

• How is everyone else doing?

Badly... holidays got in the way... I've only just started cutting back on booze and lavish meals... I am now 72 Kg... not much to look forward to cyclingwise... nothing I should be refrained from doing because I am half a stone overweight.... hence no incentive :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Wolfsbane2k, just smash it in the teeth. It's a painful detox for body and mind, but if you survive 2 months without cookies, candies, cake and similar stuff supermarkets try to murder us with, you will be able to walk past those isles shrugging and wondering at how that addictive stuff had a deathly grip of you and go straight to veggies and chicken breast fridge. I know, i am a sweet tooth monster and now i can easily do with a slice of cake a week, if that.
    I do not demonise sugar - i take quite a bit in form of dried and fresh fruit - but, once you get nutrients and calories elsewhere, it does not make much sense and becomes an 'extra' thing in your life that you can chose to take or not.

Important - loose the booze. Some say 'life is too short not to enjoy it', BS. Learn to keep yourself busy at all times, do not idle, rediscover things you always wanted to try, take up language course, learn to play instrument, go for walks with family, race on Zwift, read books, learn what can be done with Raspberry Pi - anything is good. If you find something that you love to do, you'll be surprised that it's 11 PM, already, and it's near bedtime!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    im fluctating between 66.6kg and 68kg

im relatively happy.
  • Portion sizes are very important, when you are on the weight loss trail. The numbers that the manufacturers of food supply for Calories, usually stipulate "per portion" if you then read the small print, you'll often realise that ( for example ) a drink, or snack, or whatever, will be a certain weight, but the headline "calorie" is for a 'portion' which is far less. It's a naughty little trick that just about every manufacturer pulls, in one form or another. Also, if you use a calorie counter 'app' or so on and so forth, it makes certain assumptions about the efficiency with which your body uses up its fuel. If you are doing a lot of excersise ( particularly cycling and / or swimming ) you will find that you are using your fuel stores increasingly more efficiently as you progress, so that your 'target calorie goal' for the day, becomes higher than you really need, due to your body's efficiency increases. This fact alone often leads to a 'weight plateau' effect, which can have a dis heartening effect. When you also remember that hormone levels also play a large part in weight control, it gets even more complicated. If your sleep patterns are at all disturbed / irregular, or you work strange hours / shift patterns, this can also wreak havoc with your best efforts. It really isn't as black and white, as 'calories out > calories in = weight loss'.
  • mamil314
    Milemuncher, in my opinion, your post was very good until last sentence. You just can't maintain weight in presence of calorie deficit.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    yes you can if you dont lift weights.

the body is very good at going into starvation mode which it does if you are a constant calorie deficit and do a lot of cardio regularly. your body gets very used to it and then you cant lose weight. its simple.
  • mamil314 wrote:
    Milemuncher, in my opinion, your post was very good until last sentence. You just can't maintain weight in presence of calorie deficit.
    That's true, the point was that the decrease in rate of weight loss, can seem to defy logic.
  • spasypaddy wrote:

the body is very good at going into starvation mode which it does if you are a constant calorie deficit and do a lot of cardio regularly. your body gets very used to it and then you cant lose weight. its simple.

The 'starvation mode' is real, that I grant you. But you'd be very surprised what you actually have to do to induce 'true' starvation mode'. What the majority of people who think they've put themselves into starvation mode, have actually done, is not anything like true starvation mode.
  • spasypaddy wrote:

The 'starvation mode' is real, that I grant you. But you'd be very surprised what you actually have to do to induce 'true' starvation mode'. What the majority of people who think they've put themselves into starvation mode, have actually done, is not anything like true starvation mode.

My granpa had a friend who had been at Mauthausen... he was fine with a 800 Kcal a day diet... one of the few who survived until the end of the war and had to walk back to Italy... an incredible story! :shock:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Like ugo all my targets for the year are done and nothing significant planned for next year yet so I'm smashing the food and drink, well smashing it more than usual.

Nom nom nom
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Like ugo all my targets for the year are done and nothing significant planned for next year yet so I'm smashing the food and drink, well smashing it more than usual.

Nom nom nom

I've got my sight set on the Etape du Dales next year... need to vindicate the terrible 9h 15 min finish of 2015... although that was mostly down to gale force winds... it still looks pathetic against the 7h 58 min of the Fred Whitton...

Problem is still a long way away and can't really think about it now. I have the Autumn Epic coming up in a month, but lean or fat I can't beat the 5 h 50 min I did back in 2009 with a group of domestiques... ehm, I mean friends... :wink:
  • itboffin
    Cingles for me that's it next year, I can already climb all day at a good rate if I'm 170 or 155 lbs

Pass the pies
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mamil314
    spasypaddy wrote:

OK, let me sit down and think this through.
    Nope, still makes no sense. I believe that body can become very efficient, but up to a limit.
    Are you talking ridiculously low body fat levels, like less than 5%? I hope everyone stop calorie deficit well before that ^ ^
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    5857 miles later I've managed to lose a grand total of 3lbs this year so far :lol:

Mmmm cake and beer
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:
    5857 miles later I've managed to lose a grand total of 3lbs this year so far :lol:

Mmmm cake and beer

Smeg, that's a lot of calories you've imbued to only lose 3 lb!
    But like someone said to me recently "I don't cycle so I can eat what I want: I want to eat what I want, so I cycle."
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    :lol: I've probably lost and gained back a metric ton this year :lol:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • itboffin
    off the booze this week and currently losing a lb a day so far
  • itboffin wrote:
    off the booze this week and currently losing a lb a day so far

Good stuff, keep at it. Booze is a blooming nightmare for screwing up weight loss / maintainance. I try to limit my drinking of booze to special occasions / celebrations, and the odd something or other at the weekends, I rarely ( if ever ) drink alcohol during the week.
  • itboffin
    Oh I'm not off the booze to lose weight I'm fasting for this weekends village beer festival, 50 guest beers require training and commitment, I think I managed 30 last year, I think !?!
  • itboffin wrote:
    Oh I'm not off the booze to lose weight I'm fasting for this weekends village beer festival, 50 guest beers require training and commitment, I think I managed 30 last year, I think !?!

:lol:
  • itboffin wrote:

That sounds like the kind of event I like training for :)
  • itboffin
    On my way there now, hard fast ride home on an almost empty stomach should set me up nicely for two bacon cheeseburgers followed by two fully loaded hotdogs washed down by my own bodyweight in ale
  • itboffin
    Might be hanging on for dear life on tomorrow's club ride for sure I won't be on the front
  • itboffin
    oh my that got messy very quickly, as for the club ride well I hope they're wearing gabbas

ouch my head
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Having started August at 79.7kg I'm now 74.3kg and aiming for 70kg by the end of the year.

These 32" waist jeans are feeling baggy but I still can't get into my Gabba without looking like the Michelin Man.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    nicely done. I CBA to read the whole thread, how did you do it?

I'm 82-84kg's depending on the day of the week here but hit 89kg's last November. I did a carb free diet for two weeks and dropped to 82kg's. I now just can't eat carbs like i used to (they really bloat me now) so the weight has stayed off.

If you haven't done the carb-free/low carb diet that's a great way of losing those last few kg's/

XL Gabba here, fits like a dream
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    Who's losing weight now? The summer is over time to log out!

Which incidentally I've been doing since the marmotte