Silly Commuter Weight Loss

Comments

• mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    How does this carb free diet work, what would one eat on a daily basis? Vegetables and meat? Having in mind that carbs are in fruits, bread, rice, potatoes, pasta etc
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    nicely done. I CBA to read the whole thread, how did you do it?

I'm 82-84kg's depending on the day of the week here but hit 89kg's last November. I did a carb free diet for two weeks and dropped to 82kg's. I now just can't eat carbs like i used to (they really bloat me now) so the weight has stayed off.

If you haven't done the carb-free/low carb diet that's a great way of losing those last few kg's/

XL Gabba here, fits like a dream

A couple of years ago I was down to 65kg but then a new job with lots of travel and I was back up to nearly 80kg.

Both times I've managed to lose weight effectively I've just tracked my calories at about 1600 per day and I've been commuting about 10-12 miles each way burning 800 calories per day. If I ride more I end up eating a lot more.

Anyway, based on 2000cal per day for a sedentary job that puts me in a 6000cal deficit for Mon-Fri. Weekends I can do what I want and still be in a 3500cal deficit for the week, which is half a kilo.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    oh get me lost 6lbs this week so far
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    I've given up trying to track it. I seem to naturally be about 75Kg's. If I've got a week where I've got a lot of rides on, I seem to drop to about 72Kg's, and in a week where I've only got commutes on, I go to about 78Kg's. I'm about 5'11 in height, so those numbers are fine.
  • mamil314 wrote:
    How does this carb free diet work, what would one eat on a daily basis? Vegetables and meat? Having in mind that carbs are in fruits, bread, rice, potatoes, pasta etc

And loads of eggs... fresh fish if you are rich, tinned if you are not... there are also fats, so nuts for instance, or things like avocados.
    left the forum March 2023
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I think I'm heavier than at the start of this. Oh well, we going to start again in the new year? I could do with losing a bit, but I like cake too much
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • itboffin
    i'll start it again and this time i'm going to help instead of poke fun, i recon if i can lose a stone each year then at least half a stone must be possible for most (non drinkers)
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ive had 2 months off diet where ive been eating and drinking crap every day. i have a work trip at the end of this week for 10 days and then im starting to prep early for next season already.

i'll be sub 65kg by the end of the year id imagine. im currently in 28/30inch skinny jeans and XS tshirts, and small in castelli. not sure how much weight i can lose without running out of clothes to wear...
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    mamil314 wrote:

I'm not an expert but basically I cut out/replaced the following:

Breakfast - stop eating cereal with milk. start eating a cheese omelette

Lunch - stop eating sandwiches and start eating some cold meat and cheese (on their own, straight out the plastic packet).

Nibbles during the day - nuts. Peanuts or mixed nuts or cashews. People will say 'yes but there are carbs in nuts too' but they are 'good' carbs

Dinner/Tea - stop eating rice, pasta, chips, potatoes, bread. Start eating fish, meat, tomatoes, chicken etc. So my wife would make a spaghetti bolognese and I would just have the sauce and not the spag. Similar with pasta and meat dishes i.e. I ate the meat sauce but didn't have any pasta.

Greek yoghurt is good too.

Drinks, well I don't drink tea or coffee or fizzy drinks anyway so I just continued to drink fruit/mint/camomile tea

For a treat at the weekends, cooked breakfast! As long as you don't have the toast then there's nothing on here that is bad for the carb free diet.

Exercise. I was continuing to cycle commute to work. That is very difficult on no carbs which are obviously the fuel for cycling. I was spinning more and noticeably slower which felt painful at the time but it does get you into that nice fat-burning zone.

As I said above, I'm back on carbs now but it's almost a year later and I simply can't face as many carbs as I used to pack away and hence the weight has stayed off.
    FCN = 4
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Thanks. When you talk about nuts, you, probably, mean fats and not carbs. I am not sure i could survive without carbs, i had blackouts when trying to cycle on empty.

BMI index says healthy weight starts with 59kg at my height of 180cm! Quite a way to go, then. Are those people without bones?
  • milemuncher1
    Be careful with 'carb free diets' it's akin to running a Diesel engined car on vegetable oil. It works, but it's not a very good idea. Complex carbs have a very important function in metabolism, and cell function. Carb free diets are okay in very short durations / if you need to wind off some weight in order to hit a weight category, in a sporting event or similar, but a diet like that can soon wreak havoc with your body's natural, evolved systems.
  • milemuncher1
    mamil314 wrote:
    Thanks. When you talk about nuts, you, probably, mean fats and not carbs. I am not sure i could survive without carbs, i had blackouts when trying to cycle on empty.

BMI index says healthy weight starts with 59kg at my height of 180cm! Quite a way to go, then. Are those people without bones?
    Forget the BMI, it's only useful as a very rough guide. A better / more accurate metric, is to divide height by waist size.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/body-mass-i ... ity-372852

This article explains the problem with BMI, and the better alternatives.
  • itboffin
    I lost a ton of weight last week by just not boozing, dread to think how much more I gained over the weekend eating and drinking like a king ... burger king!

PS. Not burger king I can't stand fast food burgers
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Be careful with 'carb free diets' it's akin to running a Diesel engined car on vegetable oil. It works, but it's not a very good idea. Complex carbs have a very important function in metabolism, and cell function. Carb free diets are okay in very short durations / if you need to wind off some weight in order to hit a weight category, in a sporting event or similar, but a diet like that can soon wreak havoc with your body's natural, evolved systems.
    and thats why any good diet plan has a refeed once in a while.

ive been known to go months without a carb
  • asprilla
    73.9kg this evening. Progress.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • prawny
    12 stone 11 tonight, so I'm still down on what I was at the start of the year, but not by a lot. I can't complain though, Ive eaten so much crap I should be the size of a church. I had a Yorkie and 2 snickers just this afternoon.

I'm blaming boredom though, I laid a path the weekend before last and didn't feel hungry all day, but sitting at my desk I tend to punctuate bouts of intense admin with sugar. Just need to really want to lose weight and I shouldn't have too much bother.

Maybe next year.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • still 70-71 Kg... so only a couple of Kg off where I'd like to be in April May... a small task compared to last year when I tipped 77 Kg at Christmas.

For me alcohol is the killer... it's not the actual calories in beer or wine, it's more the stuff that goes with it, being chips, curry or else... a meal with a couple of pints is not just 400 Kcal more, it's often 1000 KCal more at the very least
  • itboffin
    Currently gaining about 1.5lbs a week, get in!!!!

My belly
  • asprilla
    72.5kg.

I'd plateaued a bit but I'm now swimming twice a week and I'm going to start running.

Need to build some turbo time I to my schedule too.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    ok, think this is the latest table ( from August) but aware that people have posted individual updates without a table update.
    ................START.......TARGET..............NOW......SO FAR.........TO GO
    itboffin.....173.8lbs.......155lbs...........165lbs......8.8lbs.........10lbs
    spasy..........72.2kg.........67kg...........66.7kg.......5.5kg........-0.3kg
    Ugo..............77kg.........69kg...........68.9kg.......8.1kg........-0.1kg
    imatfaal.........78kg.........74kg...........73.6kg.......4.0kg.........-0.4kg
    whatleytom.....83.6kg.........75kg...........85kg........+1.4kg.........10kg
    Wolfsbane2k.....127kg........113kg..........119kg........8.0kg..........6.0kg
    Mr FPB.........80.0kg.......70.0kg...........77.7kg.......2.3kg.........7.7kg
    IP.............75.0kg.......69.0kg...........72.0kg.......3.0kg...........3kg
    JZed..........111.0kg.......93.0kg..........103.0kg.......8.0kg........10.0kg
    dhope..........74.5kg.......69.5kg...........73.2kg.......1.3kg.........3.7kg
    stu-bim.......109.8kg.......90.0kg..........104.5kg.......5.3kg........14.5kg
    London-Red.....87.1kg.........80kg...........81.9kg.......5.2kg.........1.9kg
    pangolin......101.5kg.........92kg..........101.5kg.......0.0kg.........9.5kg

Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin
    edited December 2016
    As we reach the end of 2016 how did everybody get on against their targets?

I made it to 165 lbs so a way off my goal which to be fair was somewhat optimistic given that I never diet or even cut back, i'm going for the same in 2017 with a bit more effort I hope.
    itboffin.....173.8lbs.......155lbs...........165lbs......8.8lbs.........10lbs
    spasy..........72.2kg.........67kg...........66.7kg.......5.5kg........-0.3kg
    Ugo..............77kg.........69kg...........68.9kg.......8.1kg........-0.1kg
    imatfaal.........78kg.........74kg...........73.6kg.......4.0kg.........-0.4kg
    whatleytom.....83.6kg.........75kg...........85kg........+1.4kg.........10kg
    Wolfsbane2k.....127kg........113kg..........119kg........8.0kg..........6.0kg
    Mr FPB.........80.0kg.......70.0kg...........77.7kg.......2.3kg.........7.7kg
    IP.............75.0kg.......69.0kg...........72.0kg.......3.0kg...........3kg
    JZed..........111.0kg.......93.0kg..........103.0kg.......8.0kg........10.0kg
    dhope..........74.5kg.......69.5kg...........73.2kg.......1.3kg.........3.7kg
    stu-bim.......109.8kg.......90.0kg..........104.5kg.......5.3kg........14.5kg
    London-Red.....87.1kg.........80kg...........81.9kg.......5.2kg.........1.9kg
    pangolin......101.5kg.........92kg..........101.5kg.......0.0kg.........9.5kg

itboffin.......169lbs.......155lbs...........169lbs.........n/a.........14lbs

• asprilla
    Considering I only started in August really I'm pretty pleased with getting from 79.5kg to 73kg. I wanted to get to 69kg but that was pretty optimistic.

I need to take it steady of Xmas as I could quite easily find myself back at 79.5kg on Jan 1st.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • I matched my target for the spring (69 something)... kept it over summer and only bulked up in late August. I am scared of weighing myself now... I guess I am a high 72 or a low 73... which is not terrible seeing last year I was 77.

My resolutions start on the 26th... which looks like a sunny day, so I am on track
  • LukeTC
    LukeTC Posts: 211
    I wasn't around when this started but I started cycling in May and went from 78.4kg to 67.1kg as of Monday. Probably wanna let it crawl back up to 70kg-ish over xmas and just continue to maintain that as 67 feels a bit too meh, don't think it would be overly fun to try and keep it that low.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I'm starting my Christmas break at 5:30 this evening, already more than 3kg above my 63kg target weight (#shortarse) The office has been awash with food for a fortnight and I have the impulse control of a hungry labrador. One day last week I managed to entirely fill my bin with Quality Street wrappers.

And I'm under no illusion that I'll be any better behaved over the festive period; we're getting in food and drink fit for a mediaeval seige. Every year I think I'll spend some of the Christmas holiday cycling but I rarely do.

I'll haul my fat @rse back on to the weight loss wagon on 3rd of January :D
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Complete lack of willpower has seen me stuck between 77 and 78kg since MAy ish, well above target of 70kg, a little below start point of 80kg. Need a more concerted effort in the new year.

Mr FPB.........80.0kg.......70.0kg...........77.4kg.......2.6kg.........7.4kg
  • * gulp* got on the scales yesterday, and to my horror was 14st
  • prawny
    Not weighing myself until the cheese has gone.

This is my year though, I can feel it*

*it's absolutely not my year, and I will fail miserably again.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:
    Not weighing myself until the cheese has gone.

This is my year though, I can feel it*

*it's absolutely not my year, and I will fail miserably again.

YOU can do it
  • I'm in for 2017

itboffin.......169lbs.......155lbs...........169lbs.........n/a.........14lbs
    Mr FPB.........80.0kg.......70.0kg...........77.4kg.......2.6kg.........7.4kg
    Ugo.Saint......72.1kg........68kg...........72.1kg..........n/a.........4.1kg