Silly Commuter Weight Loss

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    dhope wrote:
    What's wrong with eggs? Forgot to mention the 3 a day I have with the salmon/salad

There's nothing wrong with eggs; good source of protein and other stuff.

For a while they were demonised because of salmonella; Edwina Currie lost her job, and the young / old / pregnant / immunosuppressed were advised not to eat runny eggs.
    For a while longer they were demonised because they are high in cholesterol, until it emerged that dietary cholesterol has no influence on serum cholesterol.

I was eating 2 or 3 eggs every morning on my recent all-inclusive holiday binge-fest. Rather that than overdoing the carbs.
  • keef66
    vpnikolov wrote:
    I am still trying to follow my 6/1 food diet, which consists of:

Stuff

I am a bit on and off, but have lost a kilo while I was on it (for about two weeks). Need to be a bit more consistent and not that lazy...

You sure that lot only adds up to 600 calories?

On my 5:2 I eat nothing till about 18:30, then I can have something substantial like pizza and salad, egg or beans on toast, fish and veg etc
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    buying lunch for a few days beforehand helps me and prevents me grazing the aisles of the supermarket
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    My bad, mine is more 1:6 (if that makes sense). 6 days on this diet and then 1 day in which I can spoil myself.
  • keef66
    vpnikolov wrote:
    My bad, mine is more 1:6 (if that makes sense). 6 days on this diet and then 1 day in which I can spoil myself.

Oh christ, that's worse than I thought. I couldn't do that. It's the prospect of being able to eat normally that gets me through the 2 fasting days. Today is proving especially hard; Wiggle have sent me a parcel including Haribo, and the midday walk takes me past a load of street food vans which smell delicious. Mustn't weaken in the final 3 hours!
  • whatleytom
    whatleytom Posts: 547
    ................START.......TARGET..............NOW......SO FAR.........TO GO
    itboffin.....173.8lbs.......155lbs...........165lbs......8.8lbs.........10lbs
    spasy..........72.2kg.........67kg...........66.7kg.......5.5kg........-0.3kg
    Ugo..............77kg.........69kg...........68.9kg.......8.1kg........-0.1kg
    imatfaal.........78kg.........74kg...........74.0kg.......4.0kg.........0.0kg
    whatleytom.....83.6kg.........75kg...........85kg........+1.4kg.........10kg
    Wolfsbane2k.....127kg........113kg..........125.0kg.......2.0kg..........12kg
    Mr FPB.........80.0kg.......70.0kg...........77.7kg.......2.3kg.........7.7kg
    IP.............75.0kg.......69.0kg...........72.0kg.......3.0kg...........3kg
    JZed..........111.0kg.......93.0kg..........103.0kg.......8.0kg........10.0kg
    dhope..........74.5kg.......69.5kg...........71.2kg.......3.3kg.........1.7kg
    stu-bim.......109.8kg.......90.0kg..........104.5kg.......5.3kg........14.5kg
    London-Red.....87.1kg.........80kg...........81.9kg.......5.2kg.........1.9kg
    pangolin......101.5kg.........92kg..........101.5kg.......0.0kg.........9.5kg

I've gone badly the wrong way :oops:
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    keef66 wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    What's wrong with eggs? Forgot to mention the 3 a day I have with the salmon/salad

There's nothing wrong with eggs; good source of protein and other stuff.

For a while they were demonised because of salmonella; Edwina Currie lost her job, and the young / old / pregnant / immunosuppressed were advised not to eat runny eggs.
    For a while longer they were demonised because they are high in cholesterol, until it emerged that dietary cholesterol has no influence on serum cholesterol.

I was eating 2 or 3 eggs every morning on my recent all-inclusive holiday binge-fest. Rather that than overdoing the carbs.
    :D I know, it was more me saying nothing's wrong with eggs rather than actually wondering what was bad about them.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    whatleytom wrote:
    dhope..........74.5kg.......69.5kg...........71.2kg.......3.3kg.........1.7kg

I've gone badly the wrong way :oops:

Looking at the photos on your blog, I don't think you can lose 10 Kg... you are built like a marine rather than a cyclist and you can't change that, 'mfraid
    left the forum March 2023
  • whatleytom
    whatleytom Posts: 547
    I live in hope! I've been as low as 76kg previously, although that was in my running days.

I seem to hold an unreasonable amount of upper body mass even though its largely useless for cycling. Still, i'm competitive weighing what I do, so any weight loss should yield more competitiveness!
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • ugo.santalucia
    whatleytom wrote:
    I live in hope! I've been as low as 76kg previously, although that was in my running days.

I seem to hold an unreasonable amount of upper body mass even though its largely useless for cycling. Still, i'm competitive weighing what I do, so any weight loss should yield more competitiveness!

indeed, the thing is that you don't have much body fat, hence I don't see how you can lose 10 Kg without wasting away... maybe 10 pounds...
  • dhope
    dhope..........74.5kg.......69.5kg...........73.2kg.......1.3kg.........3.7kg

Stopping marathon training, going on holiday and having a gap in work so less gym/commuting, along with not eating as sensibly as I was is, unsurprisingly, not a recipe for weight loss.
    In light of the above, I should probably put it in anti-rants that I've only regained 5lbs :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I've not lost a thing in the last 2 months, which is really annoying me, but I know it's my 8pm snacks of a cheese sandwich or yoghurt & fruit.

I just can't stop myself from being starving at 8pm - even 2 pints of water doesn't fill me up, and if I don't eat then I don' t sleep well.
    However, my waist size has reduced by an inch, so swings and roundabouts.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • ugo.santalucia
    The Fred is now done and dusted and have to find the motivation to keep my < 70 Kg weight... I have the Eroica Britannia lined up, but somehow doesn't feel as scary...
  • dhope
    I've not lost a thing in the last 2 months, which is really annoying me, but I know it's my 8pm snacks of a cheese sandwich or yoghurt & fruit.

I just can't stop myself from being starving at 8pm - even 2 pints of water doesn't fill me up, and if I don't eat then I don' t sleep well.
    Well bin the cheese sandwich and have some proper food :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I've put on a stone and a half since November. Beat that! Oh, hang on, I've got this wrong haven't I?
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180

post up a daily diet and maybe we can help you?
  • wolfsbane2k
    dhope wrote:

Well bin the cheese sandwich and have some proper food :D

A proper cooked dinner is normally between 5 and 6pm with the kids, and the 8pm stuff normally aligns with when I'm making lunch for the following day.
    And I'm not giving up cheese. What would I do with my pickle otherwise?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    The Fred is now done and dusted and have to find the motivation to keep my < 70 Kg weight... I have the Eroica Britannia lined up, but somehow doesn't feel as scary...

Congrats on that Paolo - how was it? As terrifying as it looks on paper? I heard the weather in the Lakes was good
  • ugo.santalucia
    imatfaal wrote:

Congrats on that Paolo - how was it? As terrifying as it looks on paper? I heard the weather in the Lakes was good

Weather was magnificent. As a whole it's not as hard (or even as hilly) as I expected and I probably rode too conservatively, but Hardknott and Wrynose are just as steep as I expected and the descents can be terrifying, although dry tarmac helps

An account here

https://whosatthewheel.com/2016/05/12/h ... flections/
  • wolfsbane2k
    spasypaddy wrote:

Thanks. I keep meaning to sign up for myfitness pal but can't be bothered to food diary again :(
    I normally have ~ 4 cups of white coffee with no sugar, 5 pints water/sugar free squash, and measure calories used from Garmin 705 with HR monitor used ( aware of the accuracy issue)

Yesterday, from memory
    06:00 Up and walk dog 2-3 miles.
    0700 3 spoons yoghurt + blueberries + teaspoon honey.
    Commute 8 miles (Garmin typically says 700-850 cals)
    0845 Bowl Museli
    1200 Cheese + Pickle Sarnie on home made wholemeal bread, 3 sticks Celery, Radishes, 2 Boiled Eggs, Grapes.
    1400 Apple + Pear
    Commute back 8- 10 miles ( Garmin 705 varies 650 to 1050 cals, depending how many times I climb the hill )
    1700 Home Made shepherds pie + peas, Banana
    2000 2x Cheese and wheatgrain crackers + a slice brioche with nutella
    2100 Bowl plain vanilla Ice cream ( Freezer was broken, what was I going to do, throw it away?)

First thing mornings are currently yoghurt + fruit, but used to have a piece of toast & marmite/cress or crumpet + jam.

Apart from the bowl ice cream, that's a reasonably typical day - I always carry fresh fruit & veg (carrot/cucumber/pepper sticks )with me for snacks during the day - normally 10:30 and 14:30. The brioche + nutella varies, but is always something sweet - couple of custard creams or chocolate hob nobs type thing, trying to avoid the kids' sweet jars!

Lunches for this week will be/have been, and this is mostly typical - sometimes 2 days of sarnies as week.
    Mackerel + Advocado + rice salad.
    Tuna, Mixed Bean, watercress + Pasta salad
    Chicken + Bean + rice salad
    Cheese + Pickle Sarnie on home made wholemeal bread + 2 boiled eggs
    Gammon + Radish + Potato salad

I've cut out crisps & choc bars as much as I can, but probably have 1 of each twice a week If I run out of fruit. I don't touch fizzy sugary drinks - once or twice a month a pepsi max/coke zero, but at home it's fizzy water + lime juice/mint.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    spasypaddy wrote:

Thanks. I keep meaning to sign up for myfitness pal but can't be bothered to food diary again :(
    I normally have ~ 4 cups of white coffee with no sugar, 5 pints water/sugar free squash, and measure calories used from Garmin 705 with HR monitor used ( aware of the accuracy issue)

Yesterday, from memory
    06:00 Up and walk dog 2-3 miles.
    0700 3 spoons yoghurt + blueberries + teaspoon honey.
    Commute 8 miles (Garmin typically says 700-850 cals)
    0845 Bowl Museli
    1200 Cheese + Pickle Sarnie on home made wholemeal bread, 3 sticks Celery, Radishes, 2 Boiled Eggs, Grapes.
    1400 Apple + Pear
    Commute back 8- 10 miles ( Garmin 705 varies 650 to 1050 cals, depending how many times I climb the hill )
    1700 Home Made shepherds pie + peas, Banana
    2000 2x Cheese and wheatgrain crackers + a slice brioche with nutella
    2100 Bowl plain vanilla Ice cream ( Freezer was broken, what was I going to do, throw it away?)

First thing mornings are currently yoghurt + fruit, but used to have a piece of toast & marmite/cress or crumpet + jam.

Apart from the bowl ice cream, that's a reasonably typical day - I always carry fresh fruit & veg (carrot/cucumber/pepper sticks )with me for snacks during the day - normally 10:30 and 14:30. The brioche + nutella varies, but is always something sweet - couple of custard creams or chocolate hob nobs type thing, trying to avoid the kids' sweet jars!

Lunches for this week will be/have been, and this is mostly typical - sometimes 2 days of sarnies as week.
    Mackerel + Advocado + rice salad.
    Tuna, Mixed Bean, watercress + Pasta salad
    Chicken + Bean + rice salad
    Cheese + Pickle Sarnie on home made wholemeal bread + 2 boiled eggs
    Gammon + Radish + Potato salad

I've cut out crisps & choc bars as much as I can, but probably have 1 of each twice a week If I run out of fruit. I don't touch fizzy sugary drinks - once or twice a month a pepsi max/coke zero, but at home it's fizzy water + lime juice/mint.

Quantities are important - a bowl of muesli could be the suggested serving of 25-50gram to a decent bowlful which is 4-5 times that amount; ditto pasta, ditto rice etc. You need to measure for a while till you get an idea of how much you are eating.

FYG - this is the recommended portion size of Dorset Cereals Muesli

26938811796_9ec52e2755_b.jpg
  • dhope
    First comment is (as you suspect) the Garmin is massively overreading those calories. I'd suspect you're burning half what the Garmin estimates.

I'd go for a bigger breakfast and force yourself to cut out the crap at 8-9pm

Get up
    Yoghurt and blueberries
    Walk dog
    Porridge (just my preference, bigger breakfast smaller dinner)
    Commute
    Muesli if you still need it
    Bread I suppose if you must :D
    Fruit
    Commute
    Dinner (bit early for me). Can't really complain about shepherds pie. Just smaller portion maybe.
    Stop eating.
    Don't eat the biscuits, nutella or brioche. They're just fat and sugar. Eat the banana you had with dinner an hour after dinner instead.

Smaller dinner, no point filling up then falling asleep so you're not active and burning it off.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • spasypaddy
    wow so much sugar in one day.

sugar is carbs.

swap majority of carbs for protein and fat (im not saying go carb free) and watch the weight fall off. If you're hungry eat cheese/humous/bacon/nuts

1g of fat = 2g of protein/carb for energy purposes.

When im on diet a typical day for me is:
    730am protein shake
    1030am - tuna in sunflower oil
    1330 - chicken, salad and humous/advocado/cheese
    1530 - turkey and humous
    1900 - meat, veg and some kind of fat.

now you'll see i dont eat carbs when dieting, but my body is adjusted to it so i can cope. At the moment im not eating as clean as id like but i still dont eat 'processed' carbs as such. So no bread, pasta, crackers etc etc I eat small amounts (50g of uncooked rice, small sweet potato, small scoop of porridge etc)

Now i know Ugo will tell me im wrong but last year i lost 12kg, and this year a further 5kg (its harder this year as i dont have much more to lose). Since January 1st 2015 i have gone fro 84kg to 67kg whilst getting more powerful and faster on the bike. (i have actually gone as light as 66.6kg this year)

Ive gone from a 36inch jean to smaller than a 30inch jean. Ive gone from Medium tshirts to XS. Ive gone from 16.5inch collar shirt to 14.5inch.

edit to correct my appalling maths.
  • ugo.santalucia
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Now i know Ugo will tell me im wrong but last year i lost 12kg, and this year a further 5kg (its harder this year as i dont have much more to lose). Since January 1st 2015 i have gone fro 84kg to 67kg whilst getting more powerful and faster on the bike. (i have actually gone as light as 66.6kg this year)

You are not wrong if it works. I don't use "methods" as they seem to be more painful and impractical than just eating less, but if you prefer to use a method, that is fine too
  • wolfsbane2k
    spasypaddy wrote:
    wow so much sugar in one day.

sugar is carbs.

swap majority of carbs for protein and fat (im not saying go carb free) and watch the weight fall off. If you're hungry eat cheese/humous/bacon/nuts

1g of fat = 2g of protein/carb for energy purposes.

When im on diet a typical day for me is:
    730am protein shake
    1030am - tuna in sunflower oil
    1330 - chicken, salad and humous/advocado/cheese
    1530 - turkey and humous
    1900 - meat, veg and some kind of fat.

now you'll see i dont eat carbs when dieting, but my body is adjusted to it so i can cope. At the moment im not eating as clean as id like but i still dont eat 'processed' carbs as such. So no bread, pasta, crackers etc etc I eat small amounts (50g of uncooked rice, small sweet potato, small scoop of porridge etc)

Ive gone from a 36inch jean to smaller than a 30inch jean. Ive gone from Medium tshirts to XS. Ive gone from 16.5inch collar shirt to 14.5inch.

edit to correct my appalling maths.

Thanks for the feedback.
    'm trying to reduce sugar, but where I can't going natural as much as I can. I would hate to have your opinion of my diet before I started this one, which is based around the slimming world extra easy stuff which my wife used to do, plus some GP recommended meat to fosh &quorn changes. At least this way there is no daily cake, chocolate bar, and crisps at lunch which used to be my hangup!

Nuts, indeed. I have run out and forgot to replace the bag, those used to be my afternoon snack.

I'm interested by the idea of tuna midmorning, I've been trying hard boiled eggs then, but the side effects are not pleasant on my colleagues, and I generally fail to prepare enough lean protein the night before; am planning next week to have some marinated chicken breast cooked off on Sunday to last the week as morning snacks.

Hummus, good shout, love the stuff, and would go with my veg sticks, and being home made will be 'good' fats based on olive oil.

I need to get from my current 43" waist back to 36", which I was last at when swimming a mile a day about 12 years ago, but that's a side effect of reducing weight on already broken knees which is the main reason (other than general health improvement) for pushing the cycle commuting.
  • wolfsbane2k
    edited May 2016
    imatfaal wrote:
    Quantities are important - a bowl of muesli could be the suggested serving of 25-50gram to a decent bowlful which is 4-5 times that amount; ditto pasta, ditto rice etc. You need to measure for a while till you get an idea of how much you are eating.

FYG - this is the recommended portion size of Dorset Cereals Muesli

26938811796_9ec52e2755_b.jpg

Yes, Muesli portions are always such a disappointment!, but I can no longer cope with porridge in the morning, I'm hot enough!
    I'm sure that quantity is one of my big problems, and I'm good with the lunch time carbs as that's always prepped by me the night before so cooked to purpose, but breakfasts and dinners are a bit more LAX, however I try & correlate spoon counts at least.

I do ponder a can of low sugar baked beans some mornings without anything else when in the office, but haven't made the jump yet.

I will can't believe how much the basic cost of protein is compared to carbs :-(
  • spasypaddy
    have you considered protein powder? its just milk whey and some flavouring (normally low sugar) which makes getting protein easy and efficient.

personally i have a few different flavours and just pick and choose a different flavour. i can easily have 3 shakes a day...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'm all for healthy eating but spas your typical days food would make me very unhappy

When I was in the army my food was basically meet & carbs but even that sounds better than tuna plus chain lube.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wolfsbane2k
    spasypaddy wrote:
    have you considered protein powder? its just milk whey and some flavouring (normally low sugar) which makes getting protein easy and efficient.

personally i have a few different flavours and just pick and choose a different flavour. i can easily have 3 shakes a day...
    I've not before today, but a colleague mentioned having some with his overnight oats & yogurt at work so was going to look into it.

So do you have shakes as well had your list of grub above?
  • spasypaddy
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm all for healthy eating but spas your typical days food would make me very unhappy

When I was in the army my food was basically meet & carbs but even that sounds better than tuna plus chain lube.
    food to me is by and large just a way of fueling. once you remove the emotional attachment to food it becomes a lot easier to just eat the same shit every day all day.
    spasypaddy wrote:

I've not before today, but a colleague mentioned having some with his overnight oats & yogurt at work so was going to look into it.

So do you have shakes as well had your list of grub above?
    i have a protein shake for breakfast every day, can easily have another one mid afternoon if i dont have any other food in the office. and if i race in the evening and get home late i'll happily have one as my dinner. they are a great fuel source. im not as regimented as i am from january to march as im currently training on the bike and racing but january to march i live like a monk and spend a fair amount of time in the gym to help lose weight.

weight training >>>> cardio for losing weight.