Silly Commuter Weight Loss

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    At Wellesbourne airfield cafe' everyone was having eggs, bacon and chips and not doing anything... I had done 90 miles and had a cup of tea and a small slice of cake...

just an example of inequality...

You should carry more money or a card with you when you ride ;-)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Checking in after a hard week. Gained this week, probably due to today being Friday and having porridge at 8 and a fry up at ten, followed by a salad lunch at 2 and chocolate bar at 4. But I don't care, I'm tired and hungry.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    ................START.......TARGET..............NOW......SO FAR.........TO GO
    itboffin.....173.8lbs.......155lbs...........165lbs......8.8lbs.........10lbs
    spasy..........72.2kg.........67kg...........66.7kg.......5.5kg.........-0.3kg
    Ugo..............77kg.........69kg...........68.9kg.......8.1kg........-0.1kg
    imatfaal.........78kg.........74kg...........75.2kg.......2.8kg.........1.2kg
    whatleytom.....83.6kg.........75kg...........82.5kg.......1.1kg.........7.5kg
    Wolfsbane2k.....127kg........113kg..........125.0kg.......2.0kg..........12kg
    Mr FPB.........80.0kg.......70.0kg...........77.7kg.......2.3kg..........7.7kg
    IP.............75.0kg.......69.0kg...........72.0kg.......3.0kg...........3kg
    JZed..........111.0kg.......93.0kg..........103.0kg.......8.0kg........10.0kg
    dhope..........74.5kg.......69.5kg...........71.2kg.......3.3kg.........1.7kg
    stu-bim.......109.8kg.......90.0kg..........105.7kg.......0.0kg........15.7kg
    London-Red.....87.1kg.........80kg...........81.9kg.......5.2kg.........1.9kg
    pangolin......101.5kg.........92kg..........101.5kg.......0.0kg.........9.5kg

Starting to shift a little. Must be spring making me more active.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    spasy..........72.2kg.........67kg...........66.7kg.......5.5kg.........-0.3kg
    imatfaal.........78kg.........74kg...........74.0kg.......4.0kg.........0.0kg
    Mr FPB.........80.0kg.......70.0kg...........77.7kg.......2.3kg..........7.7kg
    stu-bim.......109.8kg.......90.0kg..........105.7kg.......0.0kg........15.7kg

I thought I would have to wait till the end of the Spring Classics and the return of long weekends in the saddle rather in front of TV - but all gone. Now gotta get my speed up and improve endurance
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    spasy..........72.2kg.........67kg...........66.7kg.......5.5kg........-0.3kg
    imatfaal.........78kg.........74kg...........74.0kg.......4.0kg.........0.0kg
    Mr FPB.........80.0kg.......70.0kg...........77.7kg.......2.3kg.........7.7kg
    stu-bim.......109.8kg.......90.0kg..........104.5kg.......5.3kg........14.5kg

Slow movement but something
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • itboffin
    My weight is slowly going up but not getting fatter far from it, trouble is I've always had a tendency to gain muscle when I exercise hard, six months of 200-250 miles a week with one or two 160 weeks it was bound to happen, my problem now apart from the additional weight is my climbing speed has dropped, my stamina is great but top end climbing so.

Less miles, more hills?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    itboffin wrote:
    Less beer, more hills?

FIFY
    left the forum March 2023
  • itboffin
    Never gonna happen
  • ugo.santalucia
    itboffin wrote:
    Never gonna happen

When I was drinking (and I am talking about 15-20 units a week, not the 50 or so that you drink) I never managed to lose weight. Roughly speaking, there's 100 calories in each alcohol unit of beer... a pint a day offsets a long weekly ride, two pints a day offset pretty much all the riding one does
  • itboffin
    well that's okay because i only have 6 ish a day, you've made me all thirsty now
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ignoring the fact that alcohol slows your metabolism down for days after drinking
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Just back from a week's all-inclusive eating / drinking / lounging about in Cape Verde (there's bugger all else to do / see there). Average weight gain of just over a pound a day. Top gluttony!

Return to normal eating, no booze, one bike ride and one fast day and I've lost 3 pounds already. It's coming off at the same rate it went on, which is pleasing. The human body is a very clever thing; most efficient at laying down fat then using it when required!

Mind you, there were some staggering examples of the global obesity crisis around the pool :shock: My success with the 5:2 diet led me to conclude that over eating / drinking is 99% psychological, but I'll never understand people who eat and drink themselves into those grotesque shapes.
  • ugo.santalucia
    keef66 wrote:
    My success with the 5:2 diet led me to conclude that over eating / drinking is 99% psychological, but I'll never understand people who eat and drink themselves into those grotesque shapes.

It's a vicious circle of reward/frustration... the fatter and uglier you get, the less you feel like doing anything other than spending time on the sofa feeling sorry for yourself. Eating and drinking becomes the only pleasure/reward of an otherwise pretty miserable existence. It is very very sad and I don't think it is as easy as heading to the gym and working out/dieting. As a society we need to invest a lot more...

I would start by putting a blanket ban/ heavy tax on anything that doesn't satisfy some basic health criteria: processed cakes and biscuits, sweetened drinks and pops, ready meals with dubious ingredients... the tax on sugar should be real... sugar should cost 10 pounds per Kg, instead of 1. Fast food chains and chippies should have a maximum size per product, corresponding to say 5-600 calories or so... things like a doner kebab (as we know it in the UK) should disappear, pizzas should have a resemblance to the real product (In Italy you are not allowed to call pizza something that is not)... a fried cod should be a fish, not a ball of batter.. Starbucks & co should reduce the size of their drinks to what they are supposed to be (with a pint of milk you should be able to to do 5-6 cappuccinos, not 1-2. Just a few ideas on how to change the world for the better
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    keef66 wrote:
    Just back from a week's all-inclusive eating / drinking / lounging about in Cape Verde (there's bugger all else to do / see there). Average weight gain of just over a pound a day. Top gluttony!

Return to normal eating, no booze, one bike ride and one fast day and I've lost 3 pounds already. It's coming off at the same rate it went on, which is pleasing. The human body is a very clever thing; most efficient at laying down fat then using it when required!

Mind you, there were some staggering examples of the global obesity crisis around the pool :shock: My success with the 5:2 diet led me to conclude that over eating / drinking is 99% psychological, but I'll never understand people who eat and drink themselves into those grotesque shapes.

1.5 kilo fat burned in 1 ride and 1 day fasting, i am well impressed!
  • ugo.santalucia
    mamil314 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

it's not fat... most likely water retention
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    mamil314 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

it's not fat... most likely water retention

It was almost certainly mainly water / day-to-day fluctuation. After the bank holiday weekend the total loss for the week was only 1.5 lbs. I've moved the fast day to Tuesday this week since I spent much of yesterday helping my wife finish her Lindt easter egg :D
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I'm still managing to put on weight commuting 40 miles a day. I need to take a proper look at what I'm eating, I think I'm taking in far too much crap, not enough of the good stuff. Especially at weekends.

I was 12st 11 last night, back overweight again :evil:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • itboffin
    40 miles a day 5 days a week?

You should be able to eat and drink practically anything you like
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    prawny wrote:
    I'm still managing to put on weight commuting 40 miles a day. I need to take a proper look at what I'm eating, I think I'm taking in far too much crap, not enough of the good stuff. Especially at weekends.

So, what are you eating?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ugo.santalucia
    itboffin wrote:
    40 miles a day 5 days a week?

You should be able to eat and drink practically anything you like

Sadly not... I managed to put on weight doing 700 Km in 5 days across the Pyrenees... :lol:
  • prawny
    dhope wrote:
    prawny wrote:

So, what are you eating?

Pretty much anything and everything. Today will look something like
    Breakfast 1 (pre ride) 1 egg (fried today in olive oil) and 1 piece of toast with coffee
    Breakfast 2 (Post ride) banana and half a square of tesco granola. More coffee.
    Lunch - a bagel or two with a tin of beans probably put some cheese on there too
    Snacks - Caramel wafer, apple or two maybe some kind of chocolate bar
    Dinner - something heatly cooked by the boss, last night was chili with a small serving of rice (weight watchers size)
    pudding - a chocolate mousse or similar

But other days, I'll go a bit mad and have a sausage roll or two, or a scotch egg. Then at weekends we'll have a beer or two.
    I must eat more than I think I do though, I'll start using myfitness pal again.

It's tricky, because if I don't eat enough I'm knackered for the ride home/end of the week, I'm finding it difficult to find the balance between losing a kilo a week and putting weight on.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • imatfaal
    prawny wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    prawny wrote:

So, what are you eating?

Breakfast 1 (pre ride) 1 egg (fried today in olive oil) and 1 piece of toast with coffee
    Lunch - a bagel or two with a tin of beans probably put some cheese on there too
    Dinner - something heatly cooked by the boss, last night was chili with a small serving of rice (weight watchers size)

But other days, I'll go a bit mad and have a sausage roll or two, or a scotch egg. Then at weekends we'll have a beer or two.

It's tricky, because if I don't eat enough I'm knackered for the ride home/end of the week, I'm finding it difficult to find the balance between losing a kilo a week and putting weight on.

Jeez - your metabolism must be set to burn! I would be putting on a kilo or two a week at that rate.

Breakfast one (pre ride) - glass of water :-(
    Breakfast two - muesli, tonne of fruit
    Lunch - veggie pasta, chilli, risotto etc
    Dinner - similar to yours.

Snacks are fruit and veg - and I am a terrible dustbin for other peoples cold left-overs

Weekends are a bit more normal (or abnormal if I am out riding) - but I stopped eating chocolate, biscuits, crisps etc a while ago and frankly there are only odd occasions I miss them.
  • prawny
    Yeah, I think I'm just eating far too much, I didn't realise how many calories was in a tin of beans!

I'm starting logging my food from today, I'm going to cut the crap out and see how I get on.

I could really do with a accurate calorie burn from riding to work, but I fear that even with the HR strap on every day Strava and Garmin are reading high. It gave my 1359kCals for yesterday for 2 hours 34 mins riding, how does that sound?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • imatfaal
    prawny wrote:
    Yeah, I think I'm just eating far too much, I didn't realise how many calories was in a tin of beans!

I'm starting logging my food from today, I'm going to cut the crap out and see how I get on.

I could really do with a accurate calorie burn from riding to work, but I fear that even with the HR strap on every day Strava and Garmin are reading high. It gave my 1359kCals for yesterday for 2 hours 34 mins riding, how does that sound?

I think Strava and Garmin calorie calcs are massively over-inflated (at least for me) - Strava put my 25km / 58min commute at 800 kcal this morning; no chance. How many calories you need and are burning is incredibly hard to calculate (barring hitech biomedicine like doubly labelled water) - best bet is to know how many you are taking in and when you are losing weight it is less than your daily need and vice versa.

Eat less crap and eat fewer calories - drop it gradually till the weight starts to fall. And the only way to do that is what you mention above - keep a food diary. About a few weeks back on this thread you will read me moaning that the weight would not come off - I restarted my food diary and, as if by magic, the kilos started dropping .
  • dhope
    Give myfitnesspal a go, I found it quite useful going from slim to more slim when trying to cheat some free pace for the marathon. Not that it told me too much I didn't know, but it helped a bit with discipline and avoiding too many cakes. I was still getting through the food at quite a rate.

Assuming you can eat before cycling then if I were you I'd go for bigger breakfast and smaller dinner. I tend to start with a bowl of porridge and protein shake with a banana, couple of spoons of Greek yoghurt and wash it down with a black coffee. Then into work. Lunch is large bean salad with a bit of pasta and a couple of pieces of salmon. Dinner tends to be fish and veg, but smaller than either breakfast or lunch.
    Calorie-wise that ended up around 700 for breakfast, 900 for lunch. 500 for dinner and then more muesli/banana/milk depending on the amount of exercise.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin
    prawny wrote:

It's not how much it's what you're eating, i've highlighted all the stuff to stop eating, replace those with real foods and you'll lose weight and have much more energy.

Dont get me wrong i'm far from a health food freak but i do know what not to eat if i really want to lose weight, we dont discuss the booze mind - cutting that out is NOT AN OPTION :?
  • dhope
    What's wrong with eggs? Forgot to mention the 3 a day I have with the salmon/salad
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin
    fried before you ride?
  • prawny
    TBH fried is once in a blue moon, normally I'll hard boil one or two when I do pasta the night before, but I was hungry this morning and didn't have time to boil one, I'm shite at poaching.

I do eat a fair amount of cheap processed crap though, it's how I've grown up, and I'm addicted to a degree, I know it's not good for me but it's hard break the cycle. Did I mention its cheap too? :lol:

I did manage to go to the shop at lunch and avoid buying anything dodgy though so that's a small win 8)
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    I am still trying to follow my 6/1 food diet, which consists of:

Breakfast 6:30am (after waking up) - 200gr oats mixed with a scoop of protein (30gr).

Second breakfast 9:30am - 45gr almonds with two apples.

Lunch 12:30am - This is the tricky one... whenever I don't feel lazy, I prep the previous night - 140 gr chicken breast/salmon/beef with 100-200 gr salad (iceberg, corn, cucumber, carrots - a mix of those).

Second lunch 3:30pm - 25gr almonds, sometimes with one protein (30g) shake on the side.

Dinner is around 7:30pm - 140 gr chicken/salmon/beef with 200 gr rice.

At the moment it is more like 5/2 and not 6/1, but that might change soon.

I am a bit on and off, but have lost a kilo while I was on it (for about two weeks). Need to be a bit more consistent and not that lazy...