Silly Commuter Weight Loss

Comments

• it was a quote from On the Waterfront...

... I could have been a contender and all of that... :-)
    left the forum March 2023
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I thought it was a quote, wasn't sure where from though. Had Raging Bull in mind. I could've been a contender, if I didn't like cake so much!
  • BigMat wrote:
    I thought it was a quote, wasn't sure where from though. Had Raging Bull in mind. I could've been a contender, if I didn't like cake so much!

Now I'll spend the rest of the day thinking of analogies between the two films, of which there are plenty... although On the Waterfront leaves you on a positive note, while Raging Bull is formally a tragedy...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I'm beginning to think I should sign up to this. I only ever weigh myself on the pallet scales at work so fully clothed I'm now 84.5kg. I used to fluctuate between 78 & 80 for years. Last summer I went up to 82kg after a holiday in California. Working at home for most of this year and it has crept up further. I really should stop eating so much junk.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I'm beginning to think I should sign up to this. I only ever weigh myself on the pallet scales at work so fully clothed I'm now 84.5kg. I used to fluctuate between 78 & 80 for years. Last summer I went up to 82kg after a holiday in California. Working at home for most of this year and it has crept up further. I really should stop eating so much junk.
    As the audience sings to Chubby Brown... :wink:

Just weighed myself with kit on - 72kg which was a very nice surprise. The only thing I've been doing different is going easy on the junk.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I have a Flanders trip in two weeks so time to diet for a bit, only a bit mind
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Joined faster guys and had a hard ride yesterday. I AM SO HUNGRY.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Week of skiing
    Week of potato, cheese, wine

So I guess not gaining anything significant can be seen as a bonus really
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • mamil314 wrote:
    Joined faster guys and had a hard ride yesterday. I AM SO HUNGRY.

I did 100 Km at 30 kph solo ride... very hungry too... some days are harder than others
  • itboffin
    I had my arse proper handed to me on the Saturday club ride, two cat 2 riders me and one other all very civil until we hit the home straight, I exploded after my turn on the front and watched the three of them rapidly disappearing into the distance, I'm not sure any amount of weight loss or training is going to counter age and lack of talent.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    itboffin wrote:
    I had my ars* proper handed to me on the Saturday club ride, two cat 2 riders me and one other all very civil until we hit the home straight, I exploded after my turn on the front and watched the three of them rapidly disappearing into the distance, I'm not sure any amount of weight loss or training is going to counter age and lack of talent.

Were you eating enough? Cycling for weight loss until black out is one thing, trying to go quicker is another. You are probably quicker than me if you chain gang with cat2 and so is Ugo, but i found, if i stuff my face while going, i go quicker, don't suffer that bad towards the end of the ride and recover faster. I now take 2 bananas and a torq gel for usual Saturday RP - Surrey circuit of 110km + 1050m climb. Espresso and flapjack on Box Hill, also.

And, i think, explosion is supposed to be positive in sports, like, rage giving you a burst of boundless energy. You, probably, blew up ^ ^
  • itboffin
    man-flu has it advantages
    ................START.......TARGET..............NOW......SO FAR.........TO GO
    itboffin.....173.8lbs.......155lbs.........163.8lbs.......10lbs........8.8lbs
    spasy..........72.2kg.........67kg...........68.7kg.......3.5kg.........1.7kg
    Ugo..............77Kg.........69Kg...........69.4.........7.6Kg.........0.4Kg
    imatfaal.........78kg.........74kg...........77.8kg.......0.2kg.........3.8kg
    whatleytom.....83.6kg.........75kg...........82.5kg.......1.1kg.........7.5kg
    Wolfsbane2k.....127kg........113kg..........126.0kg.......1.0kg..........13kg
    Mr FPB.........80.0kg.......70.0kg...........80.0kg.......0.0kg..........10kg
    IP.............75.0kg.......69.0kg...........72.0kg.......3.0kg...........3kg
    JZed..........111.0kg.......93.0kg..........103.0kg.......8.0kg........10.0kg
    dhope..........74.5kg.......69.5kg...........72.5kg.......2.0kg.........3.0kg
    stu-bim.......109.8kg.......90.0kg..........109.8kg.......0.0kg........19.8kg
    London-Red....87.1kg..........80kg...........84.8kg.......2.3kg.........4.8kg

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i've been under 69kg every day this week :adore:

tried my skinsuit on which is a small and has been made smaller by the addition of a nopinz speedpocket on the back and its not difficult to put on... last year it wasn't a struggle but it made me warm
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Down to 12st 7.6lb yesterday, sudden weight loss following the cleaning up of my workday diet from Monday. Left me a bit woozy and tired though yesterday, so I had pie and chips from the chippy for lunch today, back up up to 12st 8.8lb tonight :lol:

Back to the clean eating though tomorrow. Can't be spending £2 a day on lunch, that's right Londoners, pie and chips £2!!!!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • itboffin
    £2 a day are you kidding that's not even one cup of coffee
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I get Heinz Beanz for 1.89 for a pack of 4, so that's 45 pence a can. Then I buy 2 x large bagels for a pound. So my average lunch at work is 1.45 and it's around 900 calories
  • itboffin
    Plus you have a permanent tailwind eh?
  • ugo.santalucia
    itboffin wrote:
    Plus you have a permanent tailwind eh?

I don't find beans to give you wind... I think it's a bit of a myth... sugar on the other hand...
  • itboffin
    Roast potatoes my oh my
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Burger kings fries, toooooot!

Normal lunch for me is either pasta and chicken or a potato and cottage cheese then a bagel and cream cheese between 3 & 4. Had beer today too, not weighing myself today.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    As a ,what I call the Clydesdale category of cyclists, I put on a good 6-7 kgs from Dec till now :( . No cycling for all of December due to Forth Road Bridge Closure, so excesses of Xmas took their toll come Jan and very little cycling due to family pressures and crap weather has meant this year I've only covered 650 miles on the bike ! However you can`t exercise off a poor diet, so back on myfitnesspal logging what I eat and drink. Target for me this year is 90kgs, same as last year, only got to 93kg last year clothed so not far off my target. From what I`ve logged so far sugar is my Achilles heal so looking to cut back on that, so looking for some alternatives to go with my porridge at breakfast !
  • Best breakfast is high protein....keeps you fuller for longer so no hunger pangs at elevenses.....I have just had pancakes....made from two eggs and one banana....makes six medium sized pancakes....yum! I blend the mix in my smoothie maker and have a pancake pan that I cook them in....no oil needed as it is a decent pan x
  • ugo.santalucia
    MrGrumpy wrote:
    As a ,what I call the Clydesdale category of cyclists, I put on a good 6-7 kgs from Dec till now :( . No cycling for all of December due to Forth Road Bridge Closure, so excesses of Xmas took their toll come Jan and very little cycling due to family pressures and crap weather has meant this year I've only covered 650 miles on the bike ! However you can`t exercise off a poor diet, so back on myfitnesspal logging what I eat and drink. Target for me this year is 90kgs, same as last year, only got to 93kg last year clothed so not far off my target. From what I`ve logged so far sugar is my Achilles heal so looking to cut back on that, so looking for some alternatives to go with my porridge at breakfast !

Weather is better now, put the family second for a while, it's your health... you are doing this to make sure you can enjoy your family for the years to come.
    Eat healthy... basically it sounds like you need a kick on back side, so to speak and it seems like you are giving that yourself... :wink:
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    I will shift it ! as along with the cycling I have a new kitchen to fit and walls to come down so look out for six pack :-)
  • ugo.santalucia
    MrGrumpy wrote:
    I will shift it ! as along with the cycling I have a new kitchen to fit and walls to come down so look out for six pack :-)

Most builders are fat, so I am not holding my breath on that one
  • itboffin
    i've been ill for a week today and in that time I recon i've eaten about two days worth of my normal cals by comparison, i just have no appetite
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    so close to hitting my target this morning, was 68.1kg!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    itboffin wrote:
    i've been ill for a week today and in that time I recon i've eaten about two days worth of my normal cals by comparison, i just have no appetite

Well I had a week off with flu and lost almost nothing. Didn't eat a great deal since the illness came with the side effect of making everything taste just like the stuff I was coughing up. Vile!
    Suppose it's evidence of how few calories you actually burn just lying in bed or on the sofa. Which is also encouraging because it means I should start to see weight falling when I get back on the bike.
  • itboffin
    just started eating for this weekends little trip to flanders, nom nom nom
  • itboffin
    no rubbish mind all good home cooked balanced meals but lots of good food compared with my previous week of frankly just water and pills