New Orange for 2012

Comments

• MissBint37
    MissBint37 Posts: 1,503
    *Yawn*

10 pages?!!! FFS let people spend their money on what they want, whether you feel it is money wasted or not, it doesn't affect you so does it really matter?

That is all....now back to procrastination.....
    Ride it like you stole it!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    So, in essence, the Orange retards, and Orange pretards (lovers and haters for those watching in analogue) have, and still are, turning a silly thread into another epic battle.
    Well, who'd have thought it?
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    benpinnick
    Thats fantastic and paints a brilliant picture. What the hell are they doing up there at Orange?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    Yeah, what they said.

I feel a bit grubby for even getting involved.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Oh, and by the way, when I get hold of an Orange five to test, I will be actually honest. You never know, I might just like it.

(Still wouldn't buy a full bike though)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    OK, so heres the demo bike:

orangefive_2011_demo_all.jpg

In the interests of fairness I will swap the tyres so that they match the blur. That will roughly match the two specs, given the Orange spec for a similar cost, and while the blur has some lighter bits (carbon bars etc) the reverb should make up for the weight difference.

Once I have my hands on it I will report back on:

1. Whether I went blind due to the offensive colour.
    2. Whether I liked it
    3. What the timings were on a head to head race on the Deerstalker at Swinley.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Anonymous
    What does it matter what tyres, or what spec it has. You're testing the bike as a package.

(and on that note, I'll test YOUR package in a miunte)
  • I can't believe I've been drawn in to this but just for balance I've added up the cost for the actual 5 Pro. I've used Merlin where possible but also had to dip in to CRC, Stif and the Orange site.

Orange 5 Pro 2012 rrp £2800.

5 fame- £1400.
    Fox Float blah- £850.
    SLX fm- £23.
    XT rm- £55.
    SLX shifters- £55.
    RF Evolve crank- £153.
    SLX Cassette- £39.
    Hope Tech X2- £300.
    Pro2/Mavic- £300.
    Maxxis tyres- £58.
    Stalk stem- £20.
    RF Ride SP- £24.
    Belaire saddle- £40.
    Super Cross bar- £25.
    RF BB- £25.
    Grips- £12.

Total = £3379.

This does not include pedals, chain, tubes etc. If we are going to get over excited about the cost lets compare the actual parts eh? :wink:
  • Oh, and don't get me started on why Merlin can knock out stuff so cheap :evil:
  • Anonymous
    So, in essence, the Orange retards, and Orange pretards (lovers and haters for those watching in analogue) have, and still are, turning a silly thread into another epic battle.
  • dubmodder
    dubmodder Posts: 100
    edited August 2011
    Bearing in mind that is a 2012 Five you spec'd up, and this is a 2011 Trek Remedy 9, no doubt next year they will cost more.

Trek Remedy 9 2011

£3200

Shock: Fox RP-2 all-mountain tuned with Trek DRCV, Pro-Pedal and rebound

Fork: Fox 32 Float RL with air spring, lockout, rebound, alloy E2 tapered steerer, 15QR and 150mm of travel

Front Derailleur:Shimano SLX

Rear Derailleur:Shimano Deore XT

Shifters:Shimano SLX 10 Speed

Chainset:Shimano Deore XT

Cassette:Shimano HG8110 11-36 10 Speed

Pedals:Not included

Front Brake:Avid Elixir 5 hydraulic disc brake

Rear Brake:Avid Elixir 5 hydraulic disc brake

Handlebars:Bontrager Low Riser 31.8mm with 25mm rise and 9 degree sweep

Stem:Bontrager Rhythm 31.8mmHeadset:FSA No 57E E2 ACB Sealed bearings

Grips:Bontrager Rhythm dual lock-on

Rims:Bontrager Duster 32 hole rims

Front Hub:Bontrager alloy 15mm front hubRear Hub:Shimano alloy M525 rear hub

Rear Tyre:Bontrager XR3 Expert 26x2.3"

Saddle:Bontrager Evoke 2 Cro-moly raill

Seatpost:Bontrager 31.6mm with 20mm offset

Soooo, on the Five you get better spec forks, shock, wheels, brakes, headset, stem, seat post, saddle, bars and pedals (because you get none on the Trek) for £300 more.

If you hadn't spec'd the Reverb it would have only been £100 more, and you still get a Thompson post.

I wouldn't say Fives are over priced.

I have to say that is the most offensive looking Five I have ever seen, why the hell would they have that as a demo bike I don't know.

I'm glad you took up the challenge Ben, nice work.
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    I wonder what Orange make of all this. I'm guessing they're follwing it, or the infinite threads et al..
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • Anonymous
    [common bizarre internet speculation]I reckon Orange are PAYING the Orange shills[/common bizarre internet speculation]

:lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998

I've got visions of the psychic battle from South Park

"nuhnuhnuhnuhnuhnuuuuh"

"yowyahyowyahyowyahyowyah"

"bawawawawawawawaw"
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • benpinnick
    I can't believe I've been drawn in to this but just for balance I've added up the cost for the actual 5 Pro. I've used Merlin where possible but also had to dip in to CRC, Stif and the Orange site.

5 fame- £1400.
    Fox Float blah- £850.
    SLX fm- £23.
    XT rm- £55.
    SLX shifters- £55.
    RF Evolve crank- £153.
    SLX Cassette- £39.
    Hope Tech X2- £300.
    Pro2/Mavic- £300.
    Maxxis tyres- £58.
    Stalk stem- £20.
    RF Ride SP- £24.
    Belaire saddle- £40.
    Super Cross bar- £25.
    RF BB- £25.
    Grips- £12.

Total = £3379.

This does not include pedals, chain, tubes etc. If we are going to get over excited about the cost lets compare the actual parts eh? :wink:

I did match the bulk of the parts, and where it made sense upgraded them as part of a bundle, other than the brakes (which I think XT could be called equivalent, despite hope's extra cost). Also, you are working on the case that you would pay full price for the forks, when we all know that OEM ones knock around way cheaper, and I stand by being able to get them with a Frame for 2k.

Put it another way - the problem with your approach is that when you can save a load by buying a whole XT groupset, why would you break it into SLX this, RF that, Hope the other? It makes no sense at all.

@dubmodder - I agree with the Trek thing too - I looked at them when buying the blur, but couldn't figure out where all the money was going. Also, I think that the Remedy 9 frame is probably around about £1900 to buy separately, so the converse arguement could apply that actually as the frame is around £400 more, they are about the same 'value' (or lack thereof)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Anonymous
    Oh god, you bunch of specials have totally lost me now, but did you just claim that XT brakes are on a par with Hope X2s?
    Now we know you're deluded.
  • benpinnick
    Oh god, you bunch of specials have totally lost me now, but did you just claim that XT brakes are on a par with Hope X2s?
    Now we know you're deluded.

Well, thats a bit of a stretch I know :roll: , but I could probably trade them with some of the other upgrades if for some unknown reason I wanted X2 brakes.... or even better get some XT 785 brakes, which I personally think kick Hope X2s into the gutter.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    I can't believe I've been drawn in to this but just for balance I've added up the cost for the actual 5 Pro. I've used Merlin where possible but also had to dip in to CRC, Stif and the Orange site.

5 fame- £1400.
    Fox Float blah- £850.
    SLX fm- £23.
    XT rm- £55.
    SLX shifters- £55.
    RF Evolve crank- £153.
    SLX Cassette- £39.
    Hope Tech X2- £300.
    Pro2/Mavic- £300.
    Maxxis tyres- £58.
    Stalk stem- £20.
    RF Ride SP- £24.
    Belaire saddle- £40.
    Super Cross bar- £25.
    RF BB- £25.
    Grips- £12.

Total = £3379.

I did match the bulk of the parts, and where it made sense upgraded them as part of a bundle, other than the brakes (which I think XT could be called equivalent, despite hope's extra cost). Also, you are working on the case that you would pay full price for the forks, when we all know that OEM ones knock around way cheaper, and I stand by being able to get them with a Frame for 2k.

Put it another way - the problem with your approach is that when you can save a load by buying a whole XT groupset, why would you break it into SLX this, RF that, Hope the other? It makes no sense at all.

@dubmodder - I agree with the Trek thing too - I looked at them when buying the blur, but couldn't figure out where all the money was going. Also, I think that the Remedy 9 frame is probably around about £1900 to buy separately, so the converse arguement could apply that actually as the frame is around £400 more, they are about the same 'value' (or lack thereof)

I'm aware that Orange will get the gear far cheaper. I just thought it might be interesting to see the actual cost to get the same stuff instead of subbing half the kit for gear Merlin are knocking out at a big old discount :wink:
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    yeehaamcgee - you claim to be just poking fun at a specific bike rider, yet you just come across as a complete douchebag.

You are as bad as the fanboi's.

I don't even ride an Orange, yet every time I see a thread on here it's like groundhog day with you spouting the same old crap. Bore off.

At this rate i'm going to buy one and tell everyone how great it is, as it's clearly a problem for you.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Oh god, you bunch of specials have totally lost me now, but did you just claim that XT brakes are on a par with Hope X2s? Now we know you're deluded.

In which direction is sir emo-raging? I'm assuming this is you rightly slagging X2s but it's not totally clear :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    How is this still going!

I'm losing the will to live!

My XT brakes are awesome, just dont get WD-40 on the pads by accident, then they are not awesome!
  • Anonymous
    Hob Nob wrote:
    I don't even ride an Orange, yet every time I see a thread on here it's like groundhog day with you spouting the same old crap. Bore off.
    And... what crap would that be, exactly?
  • Anonymous
    Northwind wrote:
    Oh god, you bunch of specials have totally lost me now, but did you just claim that XT brakes are on a par with Hope X2s? Now we know you're deluded.

In which direction is sir emo-raging? I'm assuming this is you rightly slagging X2s but it's not totally clear :wink:
    It doesn't matter does, it, really? :lol:
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    kaiser83 wrote:
    How is this still going!

I don't know but I hope it wraps up soon, ive got work to do and all this lurking is very distracting.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Hob Nob wrote:
    yeehaamcgee - you claim to be just poking fun at a specific bike rider, yet you just come across as a complete douchebag.

You are as bad as the fanboi's.

At this rate i'm going to buy one and tell everyone how great it is, as it's clearly a problem for you.
    To be fair, I think he just likes feeding the trolls/trolling a little himself. To be fair it amuses me how many people actually fall into his trap, he gets me sometimes as well ;) :roll:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Cor,

Yee should we put our rods away and stop fishing now? it's to easy they respond in two seconds with the if you ridden one you'd buy one thing again and again... ridden a couple hated them ;p

Got a Mondy Dune r for anyone who wants to slander it :p pedals like a bag of Shat and decends like a nutter :p

So why aren't all orange bikes orange then eh? seems silly to me lol
  • Growmac
    Growmac Posts: 117
    I wanted a 5 for years. Finally last year I rode one at a demo day.

I loved it around the pump track and the jumps section at Llandegla. But. I didn't like it for XC - too much bob unless pro pedal was on, and too flightly under braking for my tastes. So, I didn't buy it, and instead bought a Canyon AM which doesn't have those traits.

I don't think that proves anything except my personal preference was for something else. Like the ongoing spd's argument, I really can't see how my opinion should annoy or upset anyone else.
    1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Growmac wrote:
    I wanted a 5 for years. Finally last year I rode one at a demo day.

I loved it around the pump track and the jumps section at Llandegla. But. I didn't like it for XC - too much bob unless pro pedal was on, and too flightly under braking for my tastes. So, I didn't buy it, and instead bought a Canyon AM which doesn't have those traits.

I don't think that proves anything except my personal preference was for something else. Like the ongoing spd's argument, I really can't see how my opinion should annoy or upset anyone else.

If this was moved to the crud catcher the correct reponse would be that your opinion doesn't annoy me, just you :P

but sadly it's not so i can't ahve any fun at all :( start a petition to move this to the CC so we can bait away!
  • Growmac
    Growmac Posts: 117
    Yeah, sorry, comments were far too late. I think I replied to about page 5 - never occurred to me there could be 11 pages of this crap!

On that note, I'm off to the mountains with my bike for three weeks where I can't annoy anyone. Have a good summer all.
    1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.
  • Anonymous
    Well there we have it. Conclusive proof that an Orange 5 is the perfect machine for dirt jumps and pump tracks.
    Right, now that that's sorted, I'm headed to the beach, on my Sintesi (with suspended rear, and carbon rigid 29er front end, singlespeed)