Thursday evening Richmond Park ride?

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Gussio wrote:
    http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/topstories/9160031.Cyclist_airlifted_from_Richmond_Park_with_serious_injuries/?ref=mr

Apologies if already posted. Usual drivel in the comments section. Speedy recovery to the cyclist involved.

First wishing the cyclist all the best.

Nice set of comments in there. Shame there isn't a set of traffic light in RP then they could of moaned about us jumping them as well....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Wish the cyclist a speedy recovery - sounds nasty, hit the back of a car and went through the rear window.

Some of the comments are laughable but to be expected.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    JZed wrote:
    Wish the cyclist a speedy recovery - sounds nasty, hit the back of a car and went through the rear window.

Some of the comments are laughable but to be expected.

Been there done that!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Not the first time there's been an accident in that part. Two slowing or stopping points in quick succession.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Anyone going to be in Richmond park tonight? I should be there from around 18.20 for an hour or so.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    bumpage.

Seems a good time to do a spot of car free night riding and get some motivation to keep the winter miles up...
  • iPete wrote:
    bumpage.

Seems a good time to do a spot of car free night riding and get some motivation to keep the winter miles up...

+1

Although my front light is woeful... :oops:
  • Love this quote from the comments:

"I try to keep to the spped limit but when being chased by an aggressive cyclist you have no choice but to speed for a bit to give yourself distance."

So because they can manage 20mph or more, they are 'aggressive'. :lol:
  • iPete
    iPete wrote:
    bumpage.

+1

Although my front light is woeful... :oops:

I'll bring a Hope 1 along! but not tonight, pub tonight... but soon, especially with the clock change looming & wanting to chase 10,000 miles.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Love this quote from the comments:

"I try to keep to the spped limit but when being chased by an aggressive cyclist you have no choice but to speed for a bit to give yourself distance."

So because they can manage 20mph or more, they are 'aggressive'. :lol:
    They then go on to say "They never stop for the deer I think they believe themselves invincible." She makes the dear sound like balloon animals rather than 20stone herbivores with antlers. I don't think I'd have any choice other than to stop if a deer got in the way unless I wanted to end up being airlifted out of the park.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Can't do tonight, I've got another ride planned. However, over the winter I'll be aiming to do an evening ride a week in the park, 3 laps at close to 60 min pace, though this may change as fitness levels drop over the winter!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Also busy tonight, but also up for doing this over the coming months. Have big front lights as well.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • cjcp
    Could be up for these, but getting out of work isn't easy at the moment.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • iPete
    2013 bump!

with forecast rain this weekend, could be tempted in a few laps tomorrow night
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    Keen - what sort of time would you get to Roehampton gate iPete?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Also keen. Times? Should be able to be on the road from london bridge around 6.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • iPete
    Is 6:30 to 6:45 realistic? Or a little later, say 7? I'm flexible, can find plenty to occupy at work if later
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Holy thread revival! Keen on this, but the wife is out tonight so I've got to look after the kids, which means a turbo session. Lets try and keep this going and I can hopefully do the next one.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't think my MTB with slicks and no brakes would make this a safe idea. When I get my rear wheel repaired, I'll be all over it, most days.
  • cjcp
    In principle, yes, but will struggle to make those times at the moment. Will keep an eye on the thread.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cyclingprop
    iPete wrote:
    Is 6:30 to 6:45 realistic? Or a little later, say 7? I'm flexible, can find plenty to occupy at work if later

If I make it out on the dot of six I reckon I should be there around those times ish. Look for the big bloke on a trek with a diablo/redeye.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    coriordan wrote:
    I don't think my MTB with slicks and no brakes would make this a safe idea. When I get my rear wheel repaired, I'll be all over it, most days.
    Ride the MTB trail. One of my favourite bits is if I get enough speed going from Pembroke Lodge towards Ham Gate I sometimes manage to pass roadies, not the fast ones obviously. They do look confused when they see me go by. It does tend to make the bike get a bit floaty over the more gravelly sections though.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Can't do this week but as nights get lighter going to start doing a lap once a week.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Veronese68 wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    Ride the MTB trail. One of my favourite bits is if I get enough speed going from Pembroke Lodge towards Ham Gate I sometimes manage to pass roadies, not the fast ones obviously. They do look confused when they see me go by. It does tend to make the bike get a bit floaty over the more gravelly sections though.

Trust me - if you could see the bike, you would agree it's not safe. For anyone to ride. Anywhere!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Can't do this eve but another evening certainly. Good thread revival
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    dhope wrote:
    Can't do this eve but another evening certainly. Good thread revival

Ditto.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'll be there when the clocks go back, although probably not Thursday as its a bad night for me.
  • iPete
    well I'm either way, happy to meet at Roehampton gate for 7 if a few people are interested, otherwise it sounds like a bigger ride is on the cards to celebrate the clock change!
  • cyclingprop
    Ill be at RG bout 6.45 I reckon.
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    Have just realised it's March 14th... Might be sagacious to get home earlier than 2030.