Thursday evening Richmond Park ride?

Comments

• chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Just got back soaked. Was probably a lot earlier than most of the after work lot (one of the joys of being on the jobs market) but you may have seen me blowing out of my arse on a red steel-framed Peugeot on my way back through Putney.

Slowly chipping away at my lap times. Going in the morning to look for a sub-21 mins.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Anyone going out tonight? Been off the bike for a week, so would like to try to get out for a lap or two.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Maybe - quite fancy a beer or two though.
  • jzed
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I was there, got to the park at about 18:35 and did 2 easy laps with my mate. First was 23:03 and the 2nd was 22:30. Good benchmark for him but with JZed closing in on my 18:02 PB I think I'm going to have to up my game on Thursday and do a couple of hard ones, fnar.

18.01 tonight :wink:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    JZed wrote:

:shock: CW or ACW?
  • jzed
    notsoblue wrote:
    JZed wrote:

ACW - got a clean run at Richmond roundabout but held up up to the summit of the climb to Ham by deer. Reckon it cost me 10-15 seconds. Was windy from Dark Hill back to Roehampton Gate.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    JZed wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    JZed wrote:

ACW - got a clean run at Richmond roundabout but held up up to the summit of the climb to Ham by deer. Reckon it cost me 10-15 seconds. Was windy from Dark Hill back to Roehampton Gate.

I've got to up my game.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    B0llox. Going out tomorrow with my slower mate so won't be breaking any records then. However, on Thursday I might have to ride the nice bike...

Anyone else up for a SCR RP Records session? Target 17 mins :twisted:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • jzed
    I reckon if we did a 4 man lead out starting from the top of dark hill we could launch someone to a 16. I'll take the first section to roehampton, then someone to top of sawyers, then someone to deliver a feather weight to Kingston roundabout for a dark hill launch.
  • Wrath Rob
    Double b0llox. Been reminded by the wife that we're out on Thursday so no RP action.

Maybe a Friday session followed by a celebratory pint in the Roebuck?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Was anyone out last night? I was the bloke in the Dutch national QS Jersey < (read hero).
  • jzed
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Double b0llox. Been reminded by the wife that we're out on Thursday so no RP action.

Maybe a Friday session followed by a celebratory pint in the Roebuck?

Fridays probably out for me - SCR Summer Gathering on Saturday - 1pm for laps, 3 pm for beers. 5pm for the Nightingale Hill Climb Championships
  • Wrath Rob
    Change of plan, tonights partner has cried off citing a cold and general lack of manliness. So, I'm now partnerless but will be going to the park anyway. Any other takers?
  • jzed
    May do a lap
  • jzed
    WInd felt a bit stronger tonight, not sure where I got the benefit (think it was on the downhill from Richmond to Ham - i.e not much). Pushed the whole way round to get a new PB and ducked into the 17s with a 17.53.

Strange as didn't manage a PB on any of the segments round, so just riding more consistently the whole way round.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    17.53 is pretty good I reckon. Not tried it myself but imagine I would struggle to beat 25 especially after walking up that steep hill between RHG and KG.
  • Wrath Rob
    Got a ACW lap in tonight, pushed pretty hard but dropped the chain coming down Dark Hill, netting a 18:24 in the process.

17:53 is great going. I hurt enough after mine so I think it might be a little while until I can get under 18. What we need is a challenge with a longer hill where I can beat Andre "JZed" Greipel on my own turf...
  • jzed
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    a longer hill where I can beat Andre "JZed" Greipel on my own turf...

mmmm what about sawyers and dark hill - you leave me for dead on those. If we are going for mountain stages then I'm going to have to get me some support riders to pace me up and bring me back in time for an attack for the line.

Reckon I could hit 17.30 with a full clear run/less wind. Maybe next week - slight twinge of a muscle - sore.
  • Wrath Rob
    The problem is they arenlt long enough and you're pace on the flat soon has you back with me. We need to change the loop so that its up Box Hill and back down Juniper. Now there's a challenge :idea:
  • jzed
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    The problem is they arenlt long enough and you're pace on the flat soon has you back with me. We need to change the loop so that its up Box Hill and back down Juniper. Now there's a challenge :idea:

:? There's enough flat and downhill for me to make up the 30-40 seconds you'd go up box hill faster than me. Doesn't sound like too bad a challenge. 9 loops?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I rode through the park at 11.30 last night on the return leg of our cycling pub crawl and they were resurfacing the cobbled bit on the inside of the corner at Richmond Gate roundabout. They were also doing the bit in the middle of the road by Kingston Gate. I presume this is for the race on August 14th and the olympics. Should help you fast boys shave a fraction off your times.
  • jzed
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I rode through the park at 11.30 last night on the return leg of our cycling pub crawl and they were resurfacing the cobbled bit on the inside of the corner at Richmond Gate roundabout. They were also doing the bit in the middle of the road by Kingston Gate. I presume this is for the race on August 14th and the olympics. Should help you fast boys shave a fraction off your times.

Must be - they've also got rid of a set of lights on putney bridge and the bollards in the middle of the road before Roehampton gate. Haven't resurfaced the holes further up though :roll:
  • Wrath Rob
    JZed wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

:? There's enough flat and downhill for me to make up the 30-40 seconds you'd go up box hill faster than me. Doesn't sound like too bad a challenge. 9 loops?
    9 loops :shock:

Current Box time is 6:52, though that's the subject for another thread...
  • cjcp
    JZ - great going. You need to go for a better three lap time with that form.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jzed
    cjcp wrote:

Yep I do - but I'm in that mindset where I can't be bothered with anything more than a lap. Get to Roehampton Gate and the turn left and go back up Sawyers, or turn right and go home, always becomes go home.

I need something to train (using this loosely) towards.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    JZed wrote:
    Get to Roehampton Gate and the turn left and go back up Sawyers then right at Richmond Gate to go to the Roebuck, or turn right and go home, always becomes go to the Roebuck.

FTFY :)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • cjcp
    JZed wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Yep I do - but I'm in that mindset where I can't be bothered with anything more than a lap. Get to Roehampton Gate and the turn left and go back up Sawyers, or turn right and go home, always becomes go home.

I need something to train (using this loosely) towards.

Yeah, best to do it on a weekend. Very difficult to muster the enthusiasm after the commute.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jzed
    JZed wrote:
    Get to Roehampton Gate and the turn left and go back up Sawyers then right at Richmond Gate to go to the Roebuck, or turn right and go home, always becomes go to the Roebuck.

FTFY :)

:shock: Thats where my lost hours go :lol:
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    Was a nice warm evening yesterday, did 2 clockwise laps - it was packed with all the ACW riders and on the way out there was a massive herd of deer by roehampton gate (had to stop and admire nature) and there was the humongous Alpah male hanging about by the roundabout and it looked like he was considering crossing the road to stand in the roundabout and pose :P
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/topstories/9160031.Cyclist_airlifted_from_Richmond_Park_with_serious_injuries/?ref=mr

Apologies if already posted. Usual drivel in the comments section. Speedy recovery to the cyclist involved.