BIKE RADAR Spring Fling Part 2 (now done!)

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Heh heh, The cobbled Mur of Macclesberg is only about 100m long :o (about 20% though after the bend)
  • Tip for the cobbled climb, don't take the outside line on the bend. Almost lost my front wheel down a cobble gap. :oops:
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    edited March 2011
    If them cobbles didn't rollock my ribs, then the "no matter how you look at it, it aint gonna fit" bike box did.
    Thanks to Alex for making it fit, with room to spare! Shame you waited 15 mins to turn up whilst we arsed about trying everyhting under the sun.

Super ride. I probably steamed the fist few hillls a bit too fast as I was blowing on the last mile of the final ascent. Amazing fall into Macc, though I was brake twitching as I was a little afraid of the wet roads.

Finally rolled in about 7.15pm with a KFC boneless banquet for one (healthy white meat), heaved the unfittable box out the car, and collapsed.

Massive thanks to Alex for the route and the scrounging of the gels and bottles. Cheers Colin, for the work in sorting the day, and see you all again next year. I'm more than willing to do an East of Nottingham one some time for some flatter drags, and shorter hills.

Did Bhima get his shopping home ok?

(Sabbath Ti and the Wilier Big Maggys stuff)

PS - Dan - big thanks!
  • Anonymous
    The speed we were hammering up I haven't a clue what line I took!
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    matthew h wrote:
    Carlos - giggle as always

Just spoke to Carl - glad I didn't come as Id have imagined the hills would have killed me...
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • Scrumple
    get it straight

MOUNTAINS
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    riggsy81 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:

Just spoke to Carl - glad I didn't come as Id have imagined the hills would have killed me...

Next year then!
  • Hi there
    I've been reading this thread with interest as I'd loved go have made it but done the Wiggle no excuses sportive instead.
    I've owned a roadie about a year now and most of my riding has been in Norfolk.
    I'm keen to discover if it will go up a hill!!!
    Is there any chance you could post a link to the route you took so I could have a go at following it in a couple of weeks?
    Glad you all enjoyed the ride.
    Cheers
  • tlw1
    Scrumple wrote:
    get it straight

MOUNTAINS

That's what my legs are telling me!
  • Scrumple
    We can't post a link, it will scare the children.

(if my Garmin can sort out a link I will work on it. Missed about 7miles up a big climb though - so hoping someone else has the whole thing to the proper end!)
  • Anonymous
    Hi there
    I've been reading this thread with interest as I'd loved go have made it but done the Wiggle no excuses sportive instead.
    Is there any chance you could post a link to the route you took so I could have a go at following it in a couple of weeks?
    Cheers

The original planned route is in the first post, I forgot to press start for the first 15 miles today! I'll map out the actual ride we did for you...
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    edited March 2011
    A big thanks to Colin & Alex for organising today, all 3 spring rides have been great so far.What makes this year better is no crashes or falls!

A very good turn out, lets hope number four is as good :)

PS - Fair play to all today, the route is not an easy one at all. Gun Hill and other climbs in the area is where Mark Cavendish has been improving his climbing with Rob Hayles.
  • Anonymous
    Here is the actual full route we did -

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/324403
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    - Nap sorry to be a pain but any chance you could map it up to the point we split and then from that point across the cat and fiddle/silk road/leisure centre - just so I can look exaclty what hell you put me through.

If its too much hard work no worries - but if u can edit that one and save a new link I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for everything, gels, route everything. Has knocked me a little for the Cheshire Cat but looking at that profile I think there is less climbing next week than this.
  • Anonymous
    mr_poll wrote:
    - Nap sorry to be a pain but any chance you could map it up to the point we split and then from that point across the cat and fiddle/silk road/leisure centre - just so I can look exaclty what hell you put me through.

If its too much hard work no worries - but if u can edit that one and save a new link I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for everything, gels, route everything. Has knocked me a little for the Cheshire Cat but looking at that profile I think there is less climbing next week than this.

Jesus H!!

Do you want me to ride it for you and map it on my Garmin?! :roll:
  • mr_poll
    Sorry thought it was one you edited online. :oops:
  • Anonymous
    There you go.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/324432

I'm guessing on the last bit...
  • Anonymous
    Nah, I have to plot a new one each time. Only takes 2 mins though.
  • mr_poll
    Dont worry I have done it by comparing to yours.

This is for the guys that split earlier.

http://gb.mapometer.com/en/cycling/route_1128690.html
  • Anonymous
    Already did it for you! Look up! :wink:

You got the bit you split at wrong on yours...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    mr_poll wrote:
    Has knocked me a little for the Cheshire Cat but looking at that profile I think there is less climbing next week than this.

The Cheshire Cat is positively flat compared to today!

I did it last year (120 miles worth) and wasn't nearly as tired as I was today!
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, there was over 6000ft of climbing today with virtually zero flat. The killer today was the fact that due to the wind we were having to pedal to keep going downhill on some normally long fast sections...
  • Pokerface
    Normalized Power of 200w for almost 4.5 hours! Over 6000 feet of climbing and 2500 calories. Ranks in my top 5 hardest rides (as per my Powertap records).
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    Hi there
    Cheers
    i think there is a link on page 1. let me know when you are planning to ride the route i might be up for it. although im posting this after getting in from the pub , so. :roll:
  • tlw1
    NapoleonD wrote:
    There you go.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/324432

I'm guessing on the last bit...

great tittle :lol:
  • Anonymous
    WTF?! It's cracking the flags this morning. Was nice Saturday, was yesterday punishment or summink?
  • simonn
    simonn Posts: 88
    Hello,

Another vote of thanks to Colin and Alex for making yesterday's ride happen...even if my legs and lungs did explode after 25 miles, hah-hah!

After I was dropped I went back to Macc via Leek, and it was a good call- when I was dodging through Macc my rear derailleur cable snapped...wouldn't have been good if that had happened an hour earlier.

See you next time and hopefully a bit thinner and fitter!

All the best,

Simon.
  • Pokerface
    any news on the gentleman from Glossop? That we lost along the way....

If you're readin this, hope you got home OK. We waited but there was no sign of you.
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    matthew h wrote:
    riggsy81 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:

Next year then!

yeh defo Matt :D
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Woah! Can't believe I remembered my login for this place. Managed to latch onto an internet connection for a bit.

Great ride, cool people, awesome roads and a perfect way to spend my Sunday I think. I've been meaning to do some long rides recently and so this was perfect. Shouldn't really have brought so much "shopping" with me though. Had no idea if there would be a cafe stop or not!

I was gutted when NapD overtook me on his 2nd ascent of "the street" while I was still on my first. I've got a lot of work to do.

Here's some data for those who have WKO+ http://www.sendspace.com/file/sxjf2o

Take it easy.