BIKE RADAR Spring Fling Part 2 (now done!)

Comments

• bigwilly
    bigwilly Posts: 23
    WHoooo - Cant wait for this! WIll be absolutley dead by the end but cant wait.

Do we have a decided route to go on so i can get a feeling for the distance and elevation ?

Should also have my new Garming Edge 800 which i have aquired off a friend or a friend :)

I shall be arriving 9:45ish in a green mk3 Mondeo and im riding a Cannondale Trail SL4 :)
  • R8JimBob88
    R8JimBob88 Posts: 285
    So I only live 12 miles from Macclesfield so do I cycle that and then 12 miles back afterwards....

Im supposed to be training for the Cheshire Cat, that would destroy it! :shock: Almost as long and much more climbing :lol:
    If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I shall be arriving at 0500 sharp, and I will be in a pink camper van, riding a Chopper.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    R8JimBob88 wrote:
    Just had a look at the route and if you are looking to pass that little converted mill type house with the steep hairpin then you have missed it!

The road forks on the way down to it and you have gone right when it should be left. The cheshire cat actually takes you down there. Beautiful place.

99% sure i'll be there, coming from Hazel Grove on a Silver Allez 8)

Yep, We would have gone down that bit rather than up and it's not so clever going down.
    I'll save it for next year!
    Don't worry, there's plenty going on!
  • Anonymous
    I emailed the Cafe earlier saying a pleasant group will be arriving to give them the heads up. Replied to within the hour :o
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Ax wrote:
    I was looking forward to the ride anyway but now there are some freebies to be had it'll be just like my birthday. Oh, hang on, it actually will be my birthday :D
    See you all on Sunday!

And its mine today, seen as you all forgot then I expect extra special pressies. :lol:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,878
    Ridding there as going for beer at a mates on sat night in macc, just got to work out how to get home as the wife & kids will be long gone by the time we finish!
  • mr_poll
    Forecast has changed - drizzle and 8 degree's - legs going back inside my longs :(:(:(
  • tlw1
    mr_poll wrote:
    Forecast has changed - drizzle and 8 degree's - legs going back inside my longs :(:(:(

still in shorts :)
  • Anonymous
    Still showing dry and double figures for me!
  • Ax
    Ax Posts: 36
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Still showing dry and double figures for me!
    In Macclesfield maybe - It'll probably be snowing in Buxton!
    2005 Dawes Galaxy
    2008 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
    2009 Focus Variado Expert
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Yep, weather is looking good. 8)
    Don't bother with the BBC detailed forecast it's rubbish. Try something like MetCheck.com instead.
  • R8JimBob88
    Forecast looks good for as long as I can see so far. Hopes its good for the week after too!
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Would it be bad form to not do the whole route? I would be cycling down from North Manchester so would probably want to break off at the top of Long Hill and head back to keep it under 100 miles. (it's not that I don't fancy riding up The Street from Errwood Reservoir, honest...!)
  • Anonymous
    Not at all! Come along!
  • R8JimBob88
    I have been looking at the route in the wrong direction! You head south first :oops:

In that case I have been down from Long Hill into Goyt Valley and up The Street a few times. Usually later after work in the week in the pitch black! Quite a scary place to be. The descent is fast. Easy to just roll up to 40mph. The climb back out is brilliant, its 1.6 miles long and averages about 11% up to 16-18% in a few places. Oh and if its dark there are usally a load of doggers in the carpark at the top. They must get all excited when they see my flashing light coming along...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Hmmmmnn. Maybe I should actually look at the route? :oops:
  • Anonymous
    You'll be right...
  • tlw1
    Pokerface wrote:
    Hmmmmnn. Maybe I should actually look at the route? :oops:

is this about the hills or the dogging?
  • Scrumple
    Can I bring my dog?
  • Pokerface
    Scrumple wrote:
    Can I bring my dog?

Sure, but I thought your wife already had plans? 8)
  • tlw1
    And so the banter starts.......
  • mr_poll
    I would to point out now that if you lose me on that climb I have not gone dogging but just struggling and dropped.
  • Scrumple
    And, while we are getting excuses in - apart from being disgusted at Colin's humour, my rib must be cracked.

I have done no miles all week, and will struggle to use my left arm. Actually, worried about the trip to Majorca in 3 weeks! I will ride it, but will not be able to pull the bars in anger up hills (or maybe it will do me good to?)

There - now I can be crap and feel ok. Get your excuses in early!

NB - part rant, part just blather to bump the thread
  • Pokerface
    I'm racing the day before so will be tired.

Plus I've just spent the last 3 months training to go really fast.... for 4 minutes at a time. Not sure I can handle more than that right now!
  • Scrumple
    my dog(s) will pull you round if you want.

my wife sends her apologies.
  • tlw1
    I'm just a bit sh1te at cycling......... :)
  • tlw1
    Pokerface wrote:
    I've just spent the last 3 months training to go really fast.... for 4 minutes at a time. Not sure I can handle more than that right now!

You can last 4 mins :lol:
  • Anonymous
    I'm the worst climber out of any of my cycling friends. No excuses. I just don't go up very fast. I don't descend quickly either after I broke my leg. And I don't go very fast on the flat. I'm good at the cafe stop though, I can eat cake for England.
  • Pokerface
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I can eat cake for England.

I can eat p**** for England.

*pizza