BIKE RADAR Spring Fling Part 2 (now done!)

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
Updating with latest info:

Sunday, March 20
Meeting at 10:00AM
Macclesfield Leisure Centre (SK10 4AF)

ROUTE: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/322035

Going to start a new thread for this. Very successful ride last year and looking to do it again this year...

(Thread from last year if you want to remind yourself. First post has the route we used): http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12673848

As I posted elsewhere:

I would love to organize this again this year - but unfortunately I'll be away racing until mid-March so can't take 100% responsibility.

But with the help of NapD (who makes the best routes), and possibly one other person to make sure all the posts get answered, we can get this thing going again this year.

I'm going to propose a date of March 20 (as mr_poll says - a week before the Cheshire Cat).

Route will be (I'm guessing) through the Peak District, starting from Macclesfield. Somewhere between 50 and 75 miles depending on terrain? Cafe stop.

Last year it was a mix of experienced and not-so-experienced riders. We waited for the slower folks at the top of climbs, etc.

I would 'suggest' that this ride isn't for the absolute beginner but if you can do a hilly 55 miles at a comfortable pace (or want to push yourself a bit) then this is a great ride to do!

Once we have a route and details, I will edit this first post as well as post at the end of the thread for anyone looking for details.

So please post your interest in this thread for MARCH 20. No other dates are being considered for this ride at this time!!

Thanks for looking!!!!!

Comments

• Briliant stuff.Its smething to look forward too. :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'll get a route sorted. I have something in mind...
  • Pokerface
    NapoleonD wrote:

Nothing TOO brutal!

I'll be away for the next 10 days so may not be able to answer a lot of questions until then - but can you handle them until I get back? I'll post if I can!
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    As discussed - interested 50 to 75 miles sounds ideal in preparation for the Cat.

As this is North West based and ppl will be coming from not so local area's can I suggest an early but not too early start.
  • Pokerface
    We met at 10:00AM Last year. Worked well for most. Ended up setting off around 10:30.

For those not familiar - a good chance for a great (free) ride and to meet some forum faces in person!
  • Anonymous
    Pokerface wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Nothing TOO brutal!

I'll be away for the next 10 days so may not be able to answer a lot of questions until then - but can you handle them until I get back? I'll post if I can!

Yes.
  • Thankyou Colin and Alex for sorting all this out.lets just hope we have a little bit of nice sunshine for the day. :)
  • Anonymous
    I do too, we had everything last year, still plenty snow about!
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    I won't be there sadly, already got plans for that weekend, but maybe next time.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    I'm in again. It was great fun last year. Hopefully the cafe is open this year!
    Same weather as well please!
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    just had some more metalwork took out of knee. back on bike wednesday, if i can get up to distance i would like to tag along :)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    If only it had been the weekend before I would have been in Crewe and would have come along. :(
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I'm racing on the 19th so no go for me :cry:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Anonymous
    I did it the day after a race last year and was fine Ant. In fact I think it helped my recovery.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Are the leisure centre ok with us using their changing facilities before and showers after?

I don't mind chucking them a couple of bob.

Ta
  • Pokerface
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Are the leisure centre ok with us using their changing facilities before and showers after?

I don't mind chucking them a couple of bob.

Ta

I can check and find out. You can probably just pay their 'day fee' to use the facilities so shouldn't be a problem.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I did it the day after a race last year and was fine Ant. In fact I think it helped my recovery.

It's more to do with going out riding sat and sun re: the mrs! :lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Assuming I have the spokes to build my wheels by then I'm in.(No CX ray in stock yet :( )
  • Anonymous
    a_n_t wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

It's more to do with going out riding sat and sun re: the mrs! :lol:

I know that feeling!
  • Anonymous
    Just trying to decide on a cafe then I'll start with the route...
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    I would, but the first train up from Birmingham would arrive too late.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    I would, but the first train up from Birmingham would arrive too late.
    Come up the night before and set up camp on the car park :lol:.

Nap Cafe must sell carrot cake.I luvs it i does.
  • Anonymous
    The cafe being open would be an improvement on last year! :oops:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    OK, I have checked with the Leisure Centre and they were really nice about changing/showers, etc. They said you just need to ask reception and they will give a freebie ticket (how's that for service). Hence, count me in.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    NapoleonD wrote:
    The cafe being open would be an improvement on last year! :oops:

The pub was open
  • I'm in 8)
    If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....
  • Anonymous
    I might not be now :(
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    Does that mean we can move it to the 13th, then Nap? :)
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • skinsey
    skinsey Posts: 105
    I did the ride last year and really enjoyed it - NapD put a route together to rival any local sportive. Can't do the 20th, but could do the 13th.