BIKE RADAR Spring Fling Part 2 (now done!)

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Just to let peeps know I'm trying to sort an interesting route that includes the bit I like so much. It may involve retreading a lot of ground done on last year's spring fling after the cafe stop though...

Not an issue for me. Anyway you are organising the ride, so it goes where you want it to
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Now that the Forum is back online and the date for this ride is coming up, just going to keep pushing the thread up to remind folks and hopefully get some extra interest.

Planning on racing the day before myself, so no one can use that an excuse for not coming!
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    At this stage I am still up for this - I am meant to have the kids on Cheshire Cat weekend so having to swap my weekends with the kids with the ex. I am pushing for it not to be the weekend of this ride.

Route sounds interesting Nap - cannot wait to ride roads I dont know.
  • Pokerface wrote:

Planning on racing the day before myself, so no one can use that an excuse for not coming!

Where is the race the day before?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:

Where is the race the day before?

Same one as last year! Paramount race at Sundorne.
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    Looks great. Can anyone just turn up? Should be good training for the lakeland loop, or to be more precise, it might give me the kick up the rear I need to do the training I should be doing! Is there a maximum number of cyclist? and do we confirm w are entering here or by PMing NapD?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You just turn up! Don't overfill my inbox please (oh, and it's Pokerface's ride, not mine ;) )
  • Pokerface
    NapoleonD wrote:
    You just turn up! Don't overfill my inbox please (oh, and it's Pokerface's ride, not mine ;) )

NapD is the route planner. I am the person promoting it. :)

Yes - please just turn up. There is no charge or anything - just a fun day out!

But if you know for sure you're coming, please post here so we have an idea of numbers, etc.
  • Pokerface
    OK folks. I'm off again for 2 weeks and am not sure about my 'net access while away.

So I leave this thread in the overworked and underpaid hands of NapD who will hopefully treat it as one of his children (although with a new one JUST arrived, not sure how much attention this poor step-child will get!).

So if you don't get a reply right away - don't fret. The ride is still on and you'll eventually get a reply!
  • tlw1
    New child means late night postings!
  • mr_poll
    So is this still all go? How many are we looking at?
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, still a go!

Usually anywhere between 10-20 turn up.
  • bigwilly
    bigwilly Posts: 23
    I should be there :) 1st group ride so be kind !

However, Will i hold you all up? I can do 50 miles keeping an average of 13.9ish miles without overly excerting myself? Will i be a pain in your bums?
  • mr_poll
    Good news - thinking this will really help the Cheshire Cat prep, I am too used to riding roads I know and pacing myself accordingly - riding Nap's route will change that and put me out of my comfort zone.
  • tlw1
    Looking forward to it
  • Pokerface
    bigwilly wrote:
    I should be there :) 1st group ride so be kind !

However, Will i hold you all up? I can do 50 miles keeping an average of 13.9ish miles without overly excerting myself? Will i be a pain in your bums?

being in a group will help you ride along faster. But it is a slightly hilly ride and the avg speed will prolly be slow-ish. If you normally only avg 14 mph on a flat ride, this may be challenging.

But we waited for slower riders last year and will do so again this year.
  • bigwilly
    Ok, Challenging sounds good !
  • Anonymous
    edited March 2011
    Did a recce of a fair bit of this today.

I'm really pleased with the route, some of the scenery today was breathtaking. Or was that the climbing? Did I mention climbing?
    I'll make no bones about it, I personally feel that this route is the equal of any UK sportive in terms of types of road and climbs. There are some good long steady ones but a couple of right buggers that I haven't done before. some of the scenery is STUNNING! Anyone who hasn't ridden the area before is in for a real treat.

In the first half there is a really long drag from Meerbrook after you have tackled Gun Hill that goes on for a fair bit, with a cheeky steep section where you turn left, however, to say you are rewarded is an understatement. The descent that follows is tremendous :)
    Then there's Crowdicote hairpins which are a fave of mine.

After the cafe stop there are some sections I had never ridden until today with some mega climbs.
    The main one being the climb up from Errwood reservoir. :shock:
    Having said that, I'm the worst climber I know and I did it all on standard with a 26 tooth cassette.

As long as we take it steady and everyone has appropriate gearing we'll all be fine.

For those that haven't ridden in a group before, a few pointers-

Ensure you are prepared to be self sufficient I.e tubes, tools, fuel, appropriate clothing, money etc.

If unsure about riding in a group, let us know, we'll do all we can to help.

If you are travelling from afar, PM me for my mobile number so you can let me know if you are running late.

This IS a challenging ride. It is NOT easy. However it is a social ride, we will wait at the
    top of climbs. The idea is to meet people, travel new routes, get some good training in and above all, have a laugh. Mainly at my expense.

Can't wait!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Forgot why I missed it last year -

Good job I noticed this, as I have been avoiding the main forum due to trying to have a life!

I should be on for it, although I had my first proper crash today (rode up someone's back, took off, turned sideways, and landed on my elbow which pushed all the force into my ribs).

If I can breathe next week and afford the deisel (isn't it £40 a gallon?) I should be there.
  • Anonymous
    Here's the data from my ride today.

Obviously different start point and not all the climbs in there.

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/sw/QOMYZVU ... MXMDHDNW2Q

I really am sh1te at climbing :shock:
  • Scrumple
    Think this needs bumping a bit - the old thread was 4 times the size!

And it reminded me why I didn't turn up...
  • mr_poll
    Nap this sounds great looking forward to it.
  • Anonymous
    edited March 2011
    Things just get better...

I've secured some gels and bottles of sports drink from CNP! :o

I'll give them out at the start.

Please take the time to click the link below to their site, they are doing us a MASSIVE favour by doing this and this should be reciprocated -

http://www.cnpprofessional.co.uk/

They are a local company (to me) and are mighty ambitious, they have recently started working with British Cycling and Team Sky.

PM me for a discount code.
  • Scrumple
    Just bagged 5kg of their recovery drink - timed it right as I need some for Majorca and was about to go High5....

Made sure I referred to the bikeradar ride in the "how did you hear about us" to ensure they know there is some kickback.

For the mathematically challenged of you, the 40% is off the RRP, not the basket price (most stuff discounted), so it comes up a bit less than you may expect. Still on a par with ebay prices, and from a legit supplier!
  • bigwilly
    Nice 1 Nap D, Think they will sponsor me something for my big (for me) ride lol?

I will be there hopefully and will do my BEST not to hold you back too much !
  • Pokerface
    Looking forward to the ride now. Hope the weather holds up!

Might have to bring the race bike and wheels out to play, especially for the big climbs!
  • Scrumple
    Your old wheels are still in hibernation - with the Wilier.

It will be the Ti Sabbath and the Kysirium Elite wheels turning up for me...

Makes the Majorcan mountains a bit easier when the summer stead comes out in 3 weeks.
  • Anonymous
    I'm turning up on Chesney and some Open Pros!
  • Anonymous
    Cheers for doing that btw Scrumple!

If anyone else does the same that'd be grand :)
  • mr_poll
    Right I have sorted with the ex and I haven't got the kids so I am defo in. Nap I will PM my mobile as I am coming from a bit away.

Where exactly are we meeting flicked back but it just says Macc, sorry if I am being dumb.

Are there any conditions when this will not happen, like serious downpour all day? I have ridden with some riders that go out in all sorts but others that draw the line when its very wet.