Floyd -- he wrote us a letter...

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    LangerDan wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Squaggles wrote:
    Personally I think there is more chance of the Pope sorting out the Catholic church than Pat McQuaid sorting out the doping problem in pro cycling

McQuaid is part of the problem

That just begs the question, who is the cycling version of Richard Dawkins?

What, you mean someone who has science on his side but comes across as being as intolerant as any re-fried Jesus-wheezer?

Nope, no one round here.

:lol:

Enough said.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    DaveyL wrote:
    to San Mauritz Switzerland at which point I was personally handed a box of 2.5 mg patches in front of his wife
    Ahh, St Moritz :idea:
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Kléber wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:
    to San Mauritz Switzerland at which point I was personally handed a box of 2.5 mg patches in front of his wife
    Ahh, St Moritz :idea:

One of the bits that leapt out to me was that Ferrari had insider knowledge of the workings of the new EPO test.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    I get the impression listening to ES, that Harmon is very sceptical over the validity of the allegations.
    Maybe he's party lining?

Got to agree with DaveyL, don't think Harmon's tone is along that line at all.

Think he's doing a very good job as a journalist, pointing people to the original articles and expanding on the allegations beyond the bare headlines.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    DaveyL wrote:
    I get the impression listening to ES, that Harmon is very sceptical over the validity of the allegations.
    Maybe he's party lining?

You do? I read it the other way. There seemed to be a note of surprise in his voice when he said they had been received with some scepticism by some.

Well, yes. Sean too. Timing seems to be crucial. They question why now?
    Seems obvious to me. Floyd is spent, tapped out frustrated and angry.
    As for the California coincidence. April 30th.........

Anyhow, they are on the subject again, talking about JB and LA "tutoring" Floyd on doping.
    Transfusions, testing and Ferrari.

DH quoting the WSJ......
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm such a child. Every time I see "Landis Confesses and fingers Lance" I giggle.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'm such a child. Every time I see "Landis Confesses and fingers Lance" I giggle.

Well, that corroborates. Last night Carlton Kirby was going on about "Planet Armstrong" and them having "back-door" access to Lance... :shock:
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • blazing_saddles
    Yes, it seems more "informative" to me now. Leipheimer and the Zee man named.

Knives out for all those name in Cali tonight.........
  • blazing_saddles
    DaveyL wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Well, that corroborates. Last night Carlton Kirby was going on about "Planet Armstrong" and them having "back-door" access to Lance... :shock:

Could be dangerous, given his recent illness. :P
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Official Media release from UCI:

The International Cycling Union has learned of the declarations made by Mr Floyd Landis and published in the Wall Street Journal.

The UCI regrets that Mr Landis has publicly accused individuals without allowing sufficient time for the relevant US authorities to investigate.

An impartial investigation is a fundamental right, as Mr Landis will understand having contested, for two years, the evidence of his breach of the Anti-Doping Rules in 2006.

The UCI will leave it to the individuals accused by Mr Landis to take the position they see fit with regards to this issue.

UCI Press Services

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDetails.asp?id=Njg4MA&MenuId=MTk0OA&LangId=1&BackLink=%2FTemplates%2FUCI%2FUCI5%2Flayout%2Easp%3FMenuID%3DMTk0OA
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Official Media release from UCI:

The International Cycling Union has learned of the declarations made by Mr Floyd Landis and published in the Wall Street Journal.

The UCI regrets that Mr Landis has publicly accused individuals without allowing sufficient time for the relevant US authorities to investigate.

An impartial investigation is a fundamental right, as Mr Landis will understand having contested, for two years, the evidence of his breach of the Anti-Doping Rules in 2006.

The UCI will leave it to the individuals accused by Mr Landis to take the position they see fit with regards to this issue.

UCI Press Services

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDetails.asp?id=Njg4MA&MenuId=MTk0OA&LangId=1&BackLink=%2FTemplates%2FUCI%2FUCI5%2Flayout%2Easp%3FMenuID%3DMTk0OA

Over to you, Hein...
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    F*cking liars. They've had it for 3 weeks.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    afx237vi wrote:
    Over to you, Hein...

I knew he was a baddie the minute Stephen Berkoff played him in The Flying Scotsman.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Can someone explain what the time element is about?

"Now we've come to the point where the statute of limitations on the things I know is going to run out or start to run out next month," Landis said. "If I don't say something now then it's pointless to ever say it."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    edited May 2010
    LOL - I was just thinking that too ! (to DaveyL's point about Berkoff)
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    its just great news eh: :roll: ,... by next year club teams will be about all that's left in the sport. This will set the sport back 50 years in terms of sponsorship, salaries...Is that what you wish for?
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    8 years isnt it? so that goes back to the start of his career
  • SpaceJunk
    DaveyL wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Over to you, Hein...

I knew he was a baddie the minute Stephen Berkoff played him in The Flying Scotsman.

LOL

Speaking of movies. If LA does go down, surely Hollywood will do a movie?

Kid A can play Landis

jake gyllenhaal (of course) will play LA.

Who will play the rest?

Big George
    DZ
    Levi
    Andy Rihs
    John Legangue
    Allem Lim

??????
  • disgruntledgoat
    Can someone explain what the time element is about?

"Now we've come to the point where the statute of limitations on the things I know is going to run out or start to run out next month," Landis said. "If I don't say something now then it's pointless to ever say it."

If action isn't taken by sanctioning authorities within the statute of limitations, it cannot be brought afterwards, in a nutshell.

Clock's ticking...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    edited May 2010
    the monkey got a mention by harmon over Andy Riis and BMC
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Dave_1 wrote:
    its just great news eh: :roll: ,... by next year club teams will be about all that's left in the sport. This will set the sport back 50 years in terms of sponsorship, salaries...Is that what you wish for?

Fine by me. Now if we could only do the same for football etc...
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • SpaceJunk
    Dave_1 wrote:

If that what it takes to have a clean sport. Yep.

Not going to stop me from riding my bike. I love riding my bike.

I don't like cheats.

What, you want to turn a blind-eye to it?

Job loses? So What? Plenty of good honest hearted workers in the motor industry lost their jobs in recent times through no fault of their own.

Life is unfair, it's unjust.

At the end of the day, cycling is just a sport.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    AidanR wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Why is it fine by you?

probably some forums members in a half decent club will be able to have a tilt at some classics and GTs by 2011 given the rate at which sponsors are going to exit this sport this season and next...
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks DG.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    Dave_1 wrote:
    AidanR wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Why is it fine by you?

probably some forums members in a half decent club will be able to have a tilt at some classics and GTs by 2011 given the rate at which sponsors are going to exit this sport this season and next...

And who's fault is that?

@gietvangent
  • blazing_saddles
    Dave_1 wrote:

You still can't see it Dave? You are probably right, but for all the wrong reasons.

JB/LA et al will have destroyed cycling, not those trying to set things to right.

This is the bottom line of the doping conundrum.
  • SpaceJunk
    Dave_1 wrote:
    AidanR wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Why is it fine by you?

So IF the claims are proven to be true; do you think it's a good or a bad thing that the public heard about it Dave?

Would you prefer it ti be swept under the carpet.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's more than a Texan and Belgian, several other names come up and they are involved in the sport today, with different teams and different riders. If this is swept under the carpet, they will keep on raking it in whilst risking rider health.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dave - I dont think much will change. We've had PLENTY of scandals over time.

Theres no way that cycling is alone in the drugs field - there are plenty of very rich teams out there who have deep pockets for nice PEDs and the money to keep things quiet.

Just look at Puerto - half his clients werent cyclists - but did any sport do any follow up on that ? They dont want to see the problems.
  • frenchfighter
    Lance should be waking up soon :lol:
    Contador is the Greatest