Floyd -- he wrote us a letter...

Comments

• le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    This thread is a vehicle for that graph if ever I've seen one. I vote we see the graph.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    le patron wrote:
    This thread is a vehicle for that graph if ever I've seen one. I vote we see the graph.
    \\

It's already done its turn. Did you blink?

Strava is not Zen.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    calvjones wrote:
    le patron wrote:
    \\

It's already done its turn. Did you blink?

Ah, can't see some hosted images at work. Have to wait until I get home.
    58585 Posts: 207
    More from the UCI:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_s ... 694452.stm

UCI president Pat McQuaid said: "What's his agenda? The guy is seeking revenge. It's sad, it's sad for cycling. It's obvious he does hold a grudge.

"He already made those accusations in the past. I have to question the guy's credibility. There is no proof of what he says. We are speaking about a guy who has been condemned for doping before a court."
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    58585 wrote:
    More from the UCI:

UCI president Pat McQuaid said: "What's his agenda? The guy is seeking revenge. It's sad, it's sad for cycling. It's obvious he does hold a grudge.

"He already made those accusations in the past. I have to question the guy's credibility. There is no proof of what he says. We are speaking about a guy who has been condemned for doping before a court."

Let's say, for argument's sake, everything Pat says here is true... Isn't he even in the slightest bit concerned that people would rather believe such a character rather than the sport's governning body?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • KentS
    KentS Posts: 240
    58585 wrote:
    More from the UCI:

Now that will really increase bicyclings credibility in the public opinion. Sigh...
    More from the UCI:

what a total sh!t McQuiad is
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    What's McQuaid's agenda?

Should he not be seeking talks with Landis and to get to the bottom of these serious allegations? Or is it ok to attack Landis and bury the issues he raises, just because he doped in the past?

bettiniphoto_0018741_1_full.jpg
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Poor article there from the BBC. They don't even see fit to mention that the allegations are made against some of the biggest names in cycling.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Probably fearing a lawsuit!
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    AidanR wrote:
    Poor article there from the BBC. They don't even see fit to mention that the allegations are made against some of the biggest names in cycling.
    Not really that poor unless you want to see a massive increase in the licence fee. Repeating a libel is itself a libel.
    And the BBC has substantially deeper pockets than Landis, and even less chance of substantiating the allegations.
    I know who I'd sue. As do the BBC.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Kléber wrote:
    What's McQuaid's agenda?

Should he not be seeking talks with Landis and to get to the bottom of these serious allegations? Or is it ok to attack Landis and bury the issues he raises, just because he doped in the past?

bettiniphoto_0018741_1_full.jpg

McQuaid is conveniently missing the point, to create his agenda theory.
    How can Landis have "timed" his bombshell to coincide with the Tour of Cali, when the facts were given to US cycling on April 30th?

Shows how desperate the guy is..........and how stupid.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Typical of BikingBernie to turn this into ANOTHER thread about doping

*yawns*
    Out of interest, have you learned anything from those threads, or would you still stand by all that crap you used to come out with about Armstrong's transformation from Tour also-ran to multiple 'winner' having nothing to with doping and how 'nothing' would challenge your faith in your personal hero?
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    aaaarrgghhh paulcuthbert was joking. there, I said it. now can we stop pointing out that a thread about doping is about doping. I got it paul, even if others didn't.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016

*yawns*
    Out of interest, have you learned anything from those threads, or would you still stand by all that crap you used to come out with about Armstrong's transformation from Tour also-ran to multiple 'winner' having nothing to with doping and how 'nothing' would challenge your faith in your personal hero?

I think Landis has lost it all and wants to drag the sport down with him. But from what McQuaid's said, that might not happen...

I think this is Landis' last stab at anyone remembering him than anything other than a cheat
  • BikingBernie
    aaaarrgghhh paulcuthbert was joking. there, I said it. now can we stop pointing out that a thread about doping is about doping. I got it paul, even if others didn't.
    Oh, I got the 'joke'. I am just interested to see how all these revelations will be dealt with by the 'faithful. It all brings to mind a book I once read called 'When prophesy fails'. It was about a group of cranks who predicted the end of the world, with only 'believers' in their group being saved by aliens. Every time their predictions were proved to be false, their faith actually increased rather than being destroyed!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    They are both classic examples of the use of 'weasel words' intened to direct the thinking of the reader in a particular direction...

Well, you'd be the expert there. The man for whom "biased" in general means "they don't agree with me".
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • BikingBernie

*yawns*
    I think Landis has lost it all and wants to drag the sport down with him. But from what McQuaid's said, that might not happen...

I think this is Landis' last stab at anyone remembering him than anything other than a cheat
    See my last post... :roll:
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    mrushton wrote:
    So Floyd want s to 'come clean' and Tyler probably didn't have a genetic twin and guess what, Jan probbly took some drugs too! So what, the usual names from years ago brought to the fore by a man who lied under oath. What he says may be true but he should have said something in 2006. methinks a large lawsuit will be coming out of New York via Texas.

I suspect not. Me thinks LA is way too afraid of what others can bring to the table to start court action again.
  • BikingBernie
    edited May 2010
    DaveyL wrote:
    They are both classic examples of the use of 'weasel words' intened to direct the thinking of the reader in a particular direction...

Well, you'd be the expert there. The man for whom "biased" in general means "they don't agree with me".
    No, meaning 'those who choose to ignore the available evidence'... :roll:
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Pat McQuaid :roll:

Just about the response I would expect

I really fear for Floyd Landis actually , when nothing happens now what is he going to do ? he has lost everything, his 'friends' have deserted him and his reputation is in tatters
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I am Spanish and a Contador follower but if he is implicated in doping he should go.

Regarding Valverde, well, may be some Spanish people still support him but most of my cycling mates are against him if not all.

Lets stop the doppers!!!

Well done for Landis, shame it might be a bit too late!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Kléber
    edited May 2010
    McQuaid is conveniently missing the point, to create his agenda theory.
    How can Landis have "timed" his bombshell to coincide with the Tour of Cali, when the facts were given to US cycling on April 30th?

Shows how desperate the guy is..........and how stupid.
    But he has to be stalling here. The emails were copied to the UCI. Maybe he was getting the emails. Surely someone in the US or the UCI should have contacted him? It's not every day that a former Tour de France winner emails in to detail with precision the doping methods used during several years, spam this is not.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Ah, I've gained a rolled eyes. That's made my day. Can you call someone an "uebermensch" now please?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    AidanR wrote:
    Not really that poor unless you want to see a massive increase in the licence fee. Repeating a libel is itself a libel.
    And the BBC has substantially deeper pockets than Landis, and even less chance of substantiating the allegations.
    I know who I'd sue. As do the BBC.

Fair, but that hasn't stopped practically every other news agency reporting it that way.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Kléber
    AidanR wrote:
    Fair, but that hasn't stopped practically every other news agency reporting it that way.
    Exactly. And it means the WJS and ESPN are saying "go on, sue us if you dare", they have to be very confident to print the story.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    The whole thing makes me a sad panda :(
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    I think Floyd timed this so that he's not a prime suspect for stealing all those paintings from that museum in Paris.

Very suspicious
  • This whole thing makes me very sad. If we accept Landis' allegations as fact it confirms the nagging suspiciions that the whole upper echelon of professional cycling is rife with doping. I had held on to some residual hope that it was only a few individual idiots but unlike the head of the UCI my head is now firmly out of the sand.

Assuming they are all at it how far down the sport does it go? Do the lesser pro teams have the same doping programs? What about the top amateur teams (if such things exist anymore)? What about the blokes on the start line at national championships, your local elite road race or time trial?

The UCI need the money that pro cycling rakes in so unless someone with real balls there says enough is enough nothing will change.

They're all a bunch of cheats and liars so I'm off to support my local tiddly winks team.

Of course if Landis is talking bo**ocks then I'm off to see how the Giro pans out. Most interesting GT for years.
    Mark.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I haven't been following any of this but I have to wonder. Does Landis have a book coming out?