Floyd -- he wrote us a letter...

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Isn't the UK libel climate a bit different though? It's easier to sue people here:

http://www.libelreform.org/

Just a thought as to why the Beeb might be being a bit cautious here.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    dennisn wrote:
    I haven't been following any of this but I have to wonder. Does Landis have a book coming out?

Aw Dennis, is this all you can come up with? 1/10
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    DaveyL wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    I haven't been following any of this but I have to wonder. Does Landis have a book coming out?

Aw Dennis, is this all you can come up with? 1/10

Lol111
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    DaveyL wrote:
    Isn't the UK libel climate a bit different though? It's easier to sue people here:

http://www.libelreform.org/

Just a thought as to why the Beeb might be being a bit cautious here.
    If you've read the allegations in Britain, then it's been said in Britain. Plus the Wall Street Journal is sold in the UK.

The BBC is playing it safe, that's all.
  • off the back
    off the back Posts: 168
    My read on this is as follows -
    There are three sides to every story.
    One (side a)
    LA/ pat McQuiad - all say no problems here life goes one as per normal. Floyd is a crank.

Two (side b)
    Floyd tells a great story but his credibility is zero given all that has gone before.

Three (the truth)
    The authorities would love a whitewash investigation, but it now falls to journalists to take Floyds letters and use them like teh rossetta stone :) Based on what he says find teh truth. We should not believe Floyd at his word and nor should we ignoire it. But neither can we rely on the authorities.

When Walsh n Kimmage wrote there books and articles they never had a name or date or location. this must provide 20 names, numerous dates and locations. Will any one else talk and does teh evidence as presented stack up ...?
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Anyone who has followed the sport won't be surprised at what has been said. People would leave to another team and shortly after be caught (Heras, Hamilton, Landis, etc). For years people suggested that they must have simply had a more well organised doping programme in Lance's team. Obviously some of the revelations show that the doping was extremely well organised (such as the bit about them all sitting on the bus with blood bags). It would be interesting to put together a full list of all the riders who were on "Team Lance" under whichever sponsor in the period since 2002. Every one of them should now be interviewed by the relevant people. As far as I am concerned, lets take them all down, even if they are riding clean now. Cyclists need to know that just because you can beat the tests now, there is always a chance you will get taken down in the future based on your current actions.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822

Assuming they are all at it how far down the sport does it go? Do the lesser pro teams have the same doping programs? What about the top amateur teams (if such things exist anymore)? What about the blokes on the start line at national championships, your local elite road race or time trial?

Mark.

I don't think that the lower pro teams/riders are necessarily implicated by default here for a couple of reasons :
    a) Riders will (maybe/sometimes) start off with good intentions but when they reach the higher levels they sadly find that to keep-up that they just have to bite the bullet - I'd guess that some just give up or fall-back to s lower level of racing whilst others ride at their natural level and their hopes to be a champion are lowered to being a domestique
    b) Lower-rung racing just doesn't pay enough : I've seen Landis mention $90,000 a year I think for his doping products, that's a heck of a lot of dosh and most riders couldn't hope to afford that.
    c) May just be that at every level riders are taking as much as they can afford, eg some testosterone for a few of the UK Elites, occasional EPO for the lower pros etc. Who knows ?!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Harmon is on. Time to twitter how he feels about Vino after today's news and does Eurosport intend to dump Planet Armstrong, given FLandis has implicated him. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Someone really, really needs to ask McQuaig the following questions:

1) When did you become aware of the allegations raised by Floyd Landis?
    2) What have you done about the allegations?
    3) Have you contacted any of the riders/teams/principals in relation to the allegations
    4) Have you contacted Landis about the allegations
    5) What contact have you had with those other bodies cc'd into the allegations.

Rather than his bluster, there should be a clear disciplined process - can you imagine this happening in another sport?

I don't know what Landis is doing, why he is chosing to do it now or if what he is saying is true. But look at the furore around Agassi taking "recreational" drugs - if Andy Roddick or Kim Clijsters or David Coulthard or Colin Montgomerie were to allege widespread fraud and doping in their sports, you can be bloody sure it'd be taken seriously.
  • DaveyL
    Harmon is on. Time to twitter how he feels about Vino after today's news and does Eurosport intend to dump Planet Armstrong, given FLandis has implicated him. :P

Not sure how this would change his view of Vino, given he has been *convicted* whereas all we have *at the moment* are allegations.

And ES are happy to employ Virenque, so I guess that answers your question about Planet Armstrong...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    Harmon treating this quite extensively, mentioning the cn.com post that contains the text of the alleged e-mail.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Huh. This might be a minor story here, but "Floyd Landis" is currently the number one search on Google worldwide. This might just have enough publicity to change things...

...of course, that is hopelessly optimistic.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • DaveyL
    Re the UCI bribery allegations. Maybe Arnie Baker, MD, can use his hacking skillz to get into the UCI?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I get the impression listening to ES, that Harmon is very sceptical over the validity of the allegations.
    Maybe he's party lining?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    he blood was brought by "Duffy" who was at that time Johans assistant of sorts.

So that explains why she was cycling in that ad :lol:
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    DaveyL wrote:
    Harmon treating this quite extensively, mentioning the cn.com post that contains the text of the alleged e-mail.

What's he saying Davey?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • DaveyL
    I get the impression listening to ES, that Harmon is very sceptical over the validity of the allegations.
    Maybe he's party lining?

You do? I read it the other way. There seemed to be a note of surprise in his voice when he said they had been received with some scepticism by some.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    DaveyL wrote:

What's he saying Davey?

Mentioned all the major names, plus the bit about Lelangue / Rihs paying for the programme at Phonak.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL wrote:

What's he saying Davey?

Just outlining the broad sweep of the allegations, where they have appeared etc. Says he will go into it in more detail during the coverage today.

Look forward to Phil n Paul on the ToC tracker tonight :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    DaveyL wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

What's he saying Davey?

Just outlining the broad sweep of the allegations, where they have appeared etc. Says he will go into it in more detail during the coverage today.

Look forward to Phil n Paul on the ToC tracker tonight :D

"Floyd's a menonite! He just wouldn't do that!"

"He's a professional athlete! He just naturally has 11 time smore testosterone than the average man!"

My money is on the "bitter loser" angle being worked. Outside hedges on ignoring it completely or claiming the E-mails are a fraud.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • DaveyL
    "We Might As Well Sue"
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    AidanR wrote:
    Huh. This might be a minor story here, but "Floyd Landis" is currently the number one search on Google worldwide. This might just have enough publicity to change things...

...of course, that is hopelessly optimistic.

Professional cycling has a proud tradition, stretching back over a century, of widespread doping, cheating, bribery, corruption and incompetence.(Mind you, thats no different from any other enterprise that involves money and people)
    All thats happened in the past two decades is that more people have become aware of the status quo, thanks mainly to t'internetz.

Unfortunately, Floyds allegations are likely to prove no more than a speed-wobble before normal service is resumed.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    edited May 2010
    You can't even edit something here before somebody has replied !

Pat McQuaid really has to go , at best he is a clown
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • discredited bitter loser
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Squaggles wrote:
    Personally I think there is more chance of the Pope sorting out the Catholic church than Pat McQuaid sorting out the doping problem in pro cycling

McQuaid is part of the problem

That just begs the question, who is the cycling version of Richard Dawkins?
  • The recently departed Anne Gripper?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    afx237vi wrote:

Hello
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    afx237vi wrote:
    Squaggles wrote:
    Personally I think there is more chance of the Pope sorting out the Catholic church than Pat McQuaid sorting out the doping problem in pro cycling

McQuaid is part of the problem

What, you mean someone who has science on his side but comes across as being as intolerant as any re-fried Jesus-wheezer?

Nope, no one round here.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Maybe he's party lining?

but with coded message its probably true is the line I think he will take
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DaveyL
    "2002: I was instructed on how to use Testosterone patches by Johan Bruyneel
    during the During the Dauphine Libere in June, after which I flew on a
    helicopter with Mr Armstrong from the finish, I believe Grenoble, to San
    Mauritz Switzerland at which point I was personally handed a box of 2.5 mg
    patches in front of his wife who witnessed the exchange. "

2002 Dauphine Parcours: (from http://www.grenoblecycling.com/DauphineLibere2002.htm)

Sunday 9th June : Prologue 3km - Lyon

Monday 10th June : 173km - Châtillon sur Chalaronne to Saint Etienne

Tuesday 11th June: 174km - Tournon sur Rhône to Le Mont Ventoux

Wednesday 12 June : 41km individual time trial - Montélimar to Pierrelatte

Thursday 13th June : 209km - L'Isle sur la Sorgue to Digne les Bains

Friday 14th June : 204km - Digne les Bains to Grenoble

Saturday 15th June : 146km - Albertville to Morzine-Avoriaz

Sunday 16th June : 150km - Morzine-Avoriaz to Genève
    Le Blaireau (1)