Floyd -- he wrote us a letter...

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    edited May 2010
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Hey, I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but LA didn't win the Tour de Suisse in 2002.

Alex Zülle did. LA won n 2001.

That puts a hole in Landis' claims.

are these emails real?

Just re-read the 'Landis' email. He did say when LA was "winning" the Tour de Suisse, not that he won it.

Anyway.

i think the context of the email is that it is a story told to him in 2002..... ie about the previous year he(LA) had used EPO (2001) and needed a bribe to make the positive go away

He also divulged to me (IN 2002) at that time that in the first year that the EPO test was used he had been told by Mr Ferrari,who had access to the new test, that he should not use EPO anymore but he did not believe Mr Farrari and continued to use it. He later, while winning the Tour de Swiss, the month before the Tour de France, (IN 2001)tested positive for EPO at which point he and Mr Bruyneel flew to the UCI headquarters and made a financial agreement with
    Mr. Vrubrugen to keep the positive test hidden.

bracket bold highlights mine
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    If he didn't win he can't have been doping?

No I didn't say that. However, if Landis' "diary'" contains inaccuracies such as times / places etc, it's not going to stand up is it?

He says the bride took place in 2002 whilst "winning" the Tour de Suisse, and Armstrong didn't even race in it.

Doesn't make Landis' claims credible then does it???

If it's true he wasn't riding it then no, but your first post didn't say that did it.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Hey, I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but LA didn't win the Tour de Suisse in 2002.

are these emails real?

Just re-read the 'Landis' email. He did say when LA was "winning" the Tour de Suisse, not that he won it.

Anyway.

i think the context of the email is that it is a story told to him in 2002..... ie about the previous year he(LA) had used EPO (2001) and needed a bribe to make the positive go away

Yeah i think it infers that it occurred in the first year that the EPO test was introduced - Ferrari told him not to use it but he did allegedly
  • ProBiker
    ProBiker Posts: 74
    edited May 2010
    dougzz wrote:
    I never thought I'd say this, but I actually feel for Flandis, poor sod.

I'd say it's a 20% chance at best this will lead anywhere in terms of really nailing anyone.

It seems to me you need the money trail, and that will require big international effort, and loads of lawyers and accountants, who'll be up for that?

+1 dougzz

It'll be the usual denials and arguments and nothing will happen.

Remember puerto?? They had 100's of bags of blood(!) from different athletes across many pro sports but how many actually got banned??

2 or 3 token cyclists....
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    SJ read the last few posts!
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    From my reading it doesn't say Armstrong wom in 2002. He details his (Landis) use of the drug but then says the conversation with Armstrong talked about the period after the first introduction of the EPO test. So the relevant date is the first year after the introduction of the EPO test (which I don't know), not 2002
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:

are these emails real?

Anyway.

Yeah i think it infers that it occurred in the first year that the EPO test was introduced - Ferrari told him not to use it but he did allegedly

He's referring to the Tour de Suisse in the season of the introduction of the test, which was first used at the Sydney Olympics in 2000... i.e., the 2001 Tour de Suisse.

What Floyd says: "He also divulged to me at that time that in
    the first year that the EPO test was used he had been told by Mr Ferrari,
    who had access to the new test, that he should not use EPO anymore but he
    did not believe Mr Farrari and contin
    ued to use it. He later, while winning the Tour de Swiss, the month before
    the Tour de France, tested positive for EPO at which point he and Mr
    Bruyneel flew to the UCI headquarters and made a financial agreement with
    Mr. Vrubrugen to keep the positive test hidden."
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Anyone heard anything else about the rumourage that Floyd has someone who can back up parts of this?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2010
    SpaceJunk wrote:

He also divulged to me (IN 2002) at that time that in the first year that the EPO test was used (2001 urine test) he had been told by Mr Ferrari,who had access to the new test, that he should not use EPO anymore but he did not believe Mr Farrari and continued to use it. He later, while winning the Tour de Swiss, the month before the Tour de France, (IN 2001)tested positive for EPO at which point he and Mr Bruyneel flew to the UCI headquarters and made a financial agreement with Mr. Vrubrugen to keep the positive test hidden.

bold added mine

he is not refering to 2002 TdS
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • http://fry.cyclingnews.com/results/2001 ... se01.shtml

Which is the year he was referring to.
  • mididoctors
    there are a fair few spelling and format mistakes in that email

if those are original... strikes me as a email written by a man under a considerable amount of self generated pressure considering the road he is embarked on
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    SpaceJunk wrote:

He also divulged to me (IN 2002) at that time that in the first year that the EPO test was used (2001 urine test) he had been told by Mr Ferrari,who had access to the new test, that he should not use EPO anymore but he did not believe Mr Farrari and continued to use it. He later, while winning the Tour de Swiss, the month before the Tour de France, (IN 2001)tested positive for EPO at which point he and Mr Bruyneel flew to the UCI headquarters and made a financial agreement with Mr. Vrubrugen to keep the positive test hidden.

bold added mine

Cheers! You would hope that since Landis has been stewing over this for a while he'd make sure he gets his facts right!
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    I love the 'unbiased' reporting of this on the Bikeradar front page.

Quote 'Landis' allegations must be viewed with scepticism after he previously denied doping.'

Quote 'The incredible claims'.

:roll:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He's got an agenda
    © Pat McQuaid

Pat Quaid has already tried to have a go at Landis, rather than saying "this is a high priority investigation, the allegations are disturbing and we'll get to the bottom of them."
  • mididoctors
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:

bold added mine

Cheers! You would hope that since Landis has been stewing over this for a while he'd make sure he gets his facts right!

there is a certain recklessness in the whole email and the way its written

not proof read no evidence of second party advice etc...

a tad drunk?....

its a real attempt at a final solution....
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Vaughters in New York Times:
    “I don’t know what it’s in the head of Floyd Landis, what his motivations are, but I think Dave just wants to get on with this race,” Vaughters said of Zabriskie, who is in the overall lead, with four stages to go. “Dave can with this race. He can win this race clean, under any level of scrutiny. I think that’s what he’d like to get on with.”

How predictable.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Landis DOES have a history of lying. Nobody can deny that.

Its the little boy who cried Wolf all over again.
  • mididoctors

Quote 'Landis' allegations must be viewed with scepticism after he previously denied doping.'

thats a fair comment he has shot himself in the foot
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    “I don’t know what it’s in the head of Floyd Landis, what his motivations are, but I think Dave just wants to get on with this race,” Vaughters said of Zabriskie, who is in the overall lead, with four stages to go. “Dave can with this race. He can win this race clean, under any level of scrutiny. I think that’s what he’d like to get on with.”

How predictable.

To summarise "Dave dunnit, you and I all know he dunnit, but he's most likely not doing it now, please go away and stop asking me awkward questions I don't want to answer"

To summarise further... "Dave es tranquillo"
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • NJK
    NJK Posts: 194
    Landis confession doesn't mean a lot unfortunately we know he drugs, we know Armstrong took drugs, we know his team took drugs and the hog supplied them.

Just a shame that Landis will now be ripped to pieces
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Typical of BikingBernie to turn this into ANOTHER thread about doping

*yawns* :lol:
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163

Incredible: 'Too extraordinary and improbable to be believed'

must be viewed with scepticism.

They are both classic examples of the use of 'weasel words' intened to direct the thinking of the reader in a particular direction...
  • mididoctors
    NJK wrote:
    Landis confession doesn't mean a lot unfortunately we know he drugs, we know Armstrong took drugs, we know his team took drugs and the hog supplied them.

Just a shame that Landis will now be ripped to pieces

this world is not fair or just...

Landis committed the sin of getting caught without a get out jail free card
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Ummm, old bean, it started off as a thread about doping.

Now, if you'd said BB had posted that boring graph again you'd be onto something :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    From Bike Radar:
    "Current UCI president Pat McQuaid was quick to deny that the international federation had accepted funds to conceal information about a positive test when contacted by Cyclingnews.

“It’s completely false and completely untrue and we’ve made contact with a lawyer and will take appropriate action,” said McQuaid."

And so the legal action begins...
  • mididoctors

Incredible: 'Too extraordinary and improbable to be believed'

must be viewed with scepticism.

They are both classic examples of the use of 'weasel words' intened to direct the thinking of the reader in a particular direction...

hmmm on reflection its not a neutral wording

but what is?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    SpaceJunk wrote:

How predictable.

Levi: the only clean choice for Cali '10 :shock:

Strava is not Zen.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    edited May 2010
    "Current UCI president Pat McQuaid was quick to deny that the international federation had accepted funds to conceal information about a positive test when contacted by Cyclingnews.

“It’s completely false and completely untrue and we’ve made contact with a lawyer and will take appropriate action,” said McQuaid."
    Note McQuaid is denying an allegation that potentially does not exist. Here's Landis's email again:
    made a financial agreement with Mr. Vrubrugen
    Yes Verbruggen was the boss but this could have been a personal deal, no cheque written to "UCI".

McQuaid is getting defensive when he should be reaching out.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    iainf72 wrote:

Ummm, old bean, it started off as a thread about doping.

Now, if you'd said BB had posted that boring graph again you'd be onto something :wink:

I know. I think it's what you people call " tongue in cheek " around here :)

And yeah, what's with the graph every time? It's a stupid idea, because you could fiddle that in MS Paint! Never mind needing Photoshop... Haha