Floyd -- he wrote us a letter...

Comments

• BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Has anyone read of any reaction from Greg Lemond yet?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    iainf72 wrote:
    I refuse to believe anyone who looks like a gnome can be a bad person.

FREE ANDY RIHS!

Can I get this straight -

"Swiss Gnome" = OK

"Manx Troll" = Bad

Or are you just being "creaturist"?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    WADA Press Release:

Statement from WADA President on Floyd Landis Allegations
    May 20, 2010
    Following numerous requests for comment, WADA issued the following statement from its President John Fahey in relation to reported allegations recently made by US cyclist Floyd Landis:

“WADA is aware of the serious allegations made by Mr Landis. We are very interested in learning more about this matter and we will liaise with the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) and any other authorities with appropriate jurisdiction to get to the heart of the issues raised. WADA looks forward to these further investigations and enquiries by those responsible.

“Generally speaking, WADA encourages everyone with knowledge of banned practices in sport, including athletes who were caught cheating and who denied the evidence for years, to be forthcoming in disclosing the information they may have to the proper authorities. This will further contribute to clean sport and strengthen existing anti-doping programs for the good of clean athletes worldwide.”

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/News-Center/Articles/Statement-from-WADA-President-on-Floyd-Landis-Allegations/

There you go Pat, it's not that difficult, is it?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Nice, professional response from WADA

I like how they ever say "even if you've denied we still welcome information"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    Lance should be waking up soon :lol:

Looking forward to his tweets when he does
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    thomasmc wrote:
    Lance should be waking up soon :lol:

Looking forward to his tweets when he does

"SSDD"
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I like to imagine that he'll be typing in "It's a fair cop" and mulling it over for a while before deleting it and typing out a death threat to Landis... Before deleting that and putting out some adonyne PR nonsense.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I would think one of his minions has already woken him and that he is currently sat in his yellow dressing gown stroking his cat in a evil genius-like way and talking to the best lawyer in the land.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It'll be bla bla bla sour grapes bla bla self confessed liar bla bla never tested positive bla bla bla deny deny deny.

And then tell us what he's listening to on his ipod.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    WADA Press Release:

May 20, 2010
    Following numerous requests for comment, WADA issued the following statement from its President John Fahey in relation to reported allegations recently made by US cyclist Floyd Landis:

“WADA is aware of the serious allegations made by Mr Landis. We are very interested in learning more about this matter and we will liaise with the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) and any other authorities with appropriate jurisdiction to get to the heart of the issues raised. WADA looks forward to these further investigations and enquiries by those responsible.

“Generally speaking, WADA encourages everyone with knowledge of banned practices in sport, including athletes who were caught cheating and who denied the evidence for years, to be forthcoming in disclosing the information they may have to the proper authorities. This will further contribute to clean sport and strengthen existing anti-doping programs for the good of clean athletes worldwide.”

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/News-Center/Articles/Statement-from-WADA-President-on-Floyd-Landis-Allegations/
    That's more like it.

It's interesting how the UCI manages to make itself look even more shifty but ignoring the serious questions. But WADA uses plain language and offers something positive. But then the UCI is run a berk or two.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    iainf72 wrote:
    I think the thing that would disappoint me most would be Andy Rihs.
    calvjones wrote:
    I'm amazed Rihs hasn't got more flak before now really.
    cougie wrote:
    All of this is past history though - who is to say that BMC and RS arent riding clean now?
    He might donate to the Arts now and again, but I’ve always thought millionaire Rihs looked a ruthless hypocritical business type (and find it hard to believe that, with the build of a Pavarotti, he rides 6000 km a year as he says he does). If Rihs so involved in cycling as he claims he is, like in his businesses, he surely is fully in the picture of how to achieve success.
    Apart from the dopers caught in his teams, Rihs now works with Ochowicz who, whether once at the top of USAC or not, was right there as coach when LA transformed from Tour drop-out to Tour winner, and is still evidently a friend of LA, which to me puts a question mark over him.

As for BMC being clean, in 2010, there’s been Frei, Ballan, and a doubt about Santambrogio. I heard Rihs used Frei as a test-rider for doping practices which, if proved valuable and undetechable, would then be offered to the bigger names in the team, but Frei messed up the drinking advice one day.
    At least Landis does say he was never forced or threatened to dope at Phonak, he had the choice within the team, so Evans and others now with Rihs could still be clean.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    andyp wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    he and Mr Bruyneel flew to the UCI headquarters and made a financial agreement with Mr. Vrubrugen
    Whoah!
    Sylvia Schenk made a similar allegation, that LA had donated money to the UCI to 'fight doping' yet that donation never made it to the UCI's audited accounts.
    And Schenk had to go (from the UCI) because of that and because she objected to McQuaid as ‘son of Verbruggen’. WADA’s Dick Pound also implied the same as Schenk; good to see (from SpaceJunk’s post above) that WADA might get more involved in this affair.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Kléber wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    WADA Press Release:

May 20, 2010

That's more like it.

It's interesting how the UCI manages to make itself look even more shifty but ignoring the serious questions. But WADA uses plain language and offers something positive. But then the UCI is run a berk or two.

True, but the WADA statement doesn't really offer anything more than the sporting equivalent of Fraiser Cranes "Go ahead caller, I'm listening"

"We are aware", "we are interested", "we will liase", "(we) look forward...to these further investigations and enquiries by those responsible."

A damn sight more than Aigle is doing but they're on little more than a watching brief.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Kléber
    It's the bit that says "WADA looks forward to these further investigations and enquiries by those responsible", which says "we're watching you", hopefully they will follow up the press release with action.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    While much has been said on here about what FL has written, and all the people his implicated, including almost every major US cyclist at USP, there's one person who doesn't get mentioned in the e-mail.

A former US Postal teammate of FL's and a Girona resident - Christian Vande Velde

Maybe he's been clean all along.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    The Sunday Times ought to be worth getting this week, eh?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    The Sunday Times ought to be worth getting this week, eh?

Yea, Paul Kimmage has been doing the rounds on the radio today. He thinks this will stick!
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    I wonder if there is a chance of wiggins being promoted to 3rd on last years tour? Or even second should JB be squeezed about contador.

:D
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    I meant to post this before, BMC's media release (which I receive from them by email). Some of it has been quoted on here, but here's the whole email:

Zurich, 20 May 2010 - Business man and bicycle sports' supporter Andy Rihs heard with great surprise the recent declaration made by the former bicycle racer Floyd Landis and resolutely denies these allegations in all aspects. Andy Rihs states that upon admission into the former racing team Floyd Landis personally agreed to honour our Code and not to engage in any illicit practices. Until detection of his doping abuse during the Tour de France in 2006 the entire team was convinced that he kept this promise. "Neither I nor the management of the team knew that Floyd Landis was doped" stated Andy Rihs. "His present statements according to which I was informed are lies". It probably is a last tragic attempt of Landis to once again gain public recognition whilst step by step he has lost this in the last few years. "It is sad to have to see such a thing" said Andy Rhis, but at the same time Andy Rhis feels that his honor is severely hurt by such untruthful statements.

To the editorial office:
    Andy Rihs requests to understand that he does not wish to comment any further on this matter and will therefore not be available for interviews.

Looks like a rush job. It's hard to tell which are Andy's comments and which are his PR's??
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    What does everyone think of McQuaid's comment?
    UCI President Pat McQuaid told the Associated Press that Landis' allegations were "scandalous and mischievous."

"These guys coming out now with things like this from the past is only damaging the sport. If they've any love for the sport they wouldn't do it," he said.
  • Kléber
    More from McQuaid, the git that keeps on giving:
    UCI President Pat McQuaid told the Associated Press that Landis' allegations were "scandalous and mischievous."

"These guys coming out now with things like this from the past is only damaging the sport. If they've any love for the sport they wouldn't do it," he said.
    If McQuaid had any love for the sport he'd get his act together.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    WADA response seems much more reasoned than McQuaids - but hes strong links with the past hasnt he ? WADA dont.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    FAT PAT IS A TWAT
    Contador is the Greatest
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Damn! And he names Allen Lim as helping him with actual transfusions!
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Kléber wrote:
    More from McQuaid, the git that keeps on giving:

If McQuaid had any love for the sport he'd get his act together.
    Much better he went and feck off to Ireland in a low profile job.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    By the way, I know I was attacked by many for pointing out Leipheimer's doping history on a previous thread, but given Landis' revelations about UCI corruption, the following does seem to be worth a repost.

The Sunday Herald
    October 12, 2008.
    Jeremy Whittle

Rules Bent for Texan.

The feeling that Armstrong, whose success in road cycling opened the door to the hugely lucrative American market, has always been accorded special treatment by the UCI, dates back a decade. During his first Tour victory in 1999, when traces of corticoids were reported to have been found in his samples, the UCI unearthed a medical certificate after the event, showing he was permitted to use the substance.

Towards the end of his career, Armstrong made a donation to the UCI coffers, believed to be in the region of dollars 500,000, claiming that it was to "combat doping". But former UCI committee member Sylvia Schenk said that it was "not clear what it was used for. It seemed to be a secret". A UCI spokesperson was yesterday unavailable for comment.

That cosy relationship appears to have been resumed and the decision to waive the six-month rule in Armstrong's favour has been widely condemned.

"It's started again, Armstrong has the UCI under his thumb, " a team manager was quoted as saying.

Also...

Schenk, Verbruggen's fiercest critic, claimed Armstrong was receiving special treatment from the UCI. "Since 1998 the UCI has done a lot to combat doping but everything is different where Armstrong is concerned," said Schenk. Schenk is also concerned that Armstrong made a personal donation to the UCI to help fight doping. The gift coincided with the publication of the controversial book LA Confidential by the Sunday Times journalist David Walsh that linked Armstrong with using performance enhancing drugs without uncovering conclusive evidence. "There is obviously a strong relationship with Armstrong," Schenk said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2005/se ... ng.cycling
  • Kléber
    Armstrong also made earlier "donations" to the UCI. I can't find it now but didn't he buy some centrifuges for the UCI to help on blood doping controls?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Slow down guys. I can't keep up. My speed reading isn't what it used to be. :wink::wink:
  • intothe12
    intothe12 Posts: 190
    FAT PAT IS A fool

+1000000000
  • Kléber
    New statements, this time BMC:
    Statement from Jim Ochowicz, BMC Racing Team President:

"The BMC Racing Team is aware of the allegations leveled against some of its management team and one of its riders, U.S. national champion George Hincapie. These allegations are not true, absolutely unfounded and unproven. This is disappointing to anyone who works in the sport or is a fan of the sport."

Statement from George Hincapie, U.S. national champion:

"I have been a professional on the circuit for 17 years – which is one of the longest careers in the peloton. During that time, I have earned the respect of my peers and a reputation for working hard, honestly and honorably. I'm really disappointed to hear these accusations."
    So that's not a denial George? He might as well listed what he was eating for breakfast...