Floyd -- he wrote us a letter...

Bakunin
Bakunin Posts: 868
edited July 2012 in Pro race
What's this about?

Will Floyd be the one that gives up the Texas Cowboy?

8)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/landis-drug-revelations

Comments

• SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    The letter was also mentioned by ProCycling in their twitter feed, well kind of.

Procycling_mag A news bomb is about to fall on the world of cycling. Hold on to your hats.
    about 3 hours ago via web

I'm guessing names are named. And maybe some big ones too!

But I'm also guessing they want to make sure it was Floyd who sent the letter.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    interesting. And it ain't even July
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    If the 'senior cycling official' who received the letter (assuming the story is true) was Pat McQuaid, that is probably the last anyone will see of it...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It was bound to happen. The guy has been chewed up and spat out by cycling and has nothing left because of it.

I think the thing that would disappoint me most would be Andy Rihs.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    actual details: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 21120.html

WOW. The big shocker? The letters apparently claim that Andy Rihs (owner of Phonak/BMC) not only knew about his doping but PAID for it himself!!

And ESPN has actual confirmation, they spoke to him on the phone:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/n ... id=5203604
  • rundle
    rundle Posts: 52
    No, what is far more surprising is how long some of those letters have been out.

USA Cycling has been sitting on it since April 30.

3 weeks.

Sitting on it and praying they can find a way to bury it to keep the gravy train rolling.

I'm glad someone leaked it. Bastards.

Bring the whole effing thing down as far as I'm concerned.

That will clear the way for other sports as well.
  • rundle
    It gets better........

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id ... type=story

Note the reference to "detailed journals"
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I wrote in January "Maybe he'll write a book one day and spill the beans." but it seems he's penned a letter.

Reading the allegations, they all sound plausible and recall the "textbook" methods used by many riders in recent years. Given so many others have been caught but plenty were not, I have little reason to doubt the fundamental points he is making.

The trouble is that right now it is his word against others, he an outsider and a busted doper, people will try to paint him as a bitter loser lashing out. He has to come up with a smoking gun piece of evidence.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    That procycling tweet last night was a bit naughty.....the mind was spinning last night, however this was one of my 'least shocking' scenarios, been stewing for a while.

Anyway, considering the wretched depths the Floyd defence got to...and the money raised for it, I wonder what impact this admission will have on any legal situation.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Juicy!

Meanwhile, somewhere in France, bikingbernie has some cleaning up to do...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    rundle wrote:
    No, what is far more surprising is how long some of those letters have been out.

USA Cycling has been sitting on it since April 30.

3 weeks.

Sitting on it and praying they can find a way to bury it to keep the gravy train rolling.

??

So, if they're investigating something you think the public should be told right away? If Floyd wanted a public letter, he would've written one. But the fact he's going to the anti-doping agencies and governing bodies seems a lot more serious than a public rant.
    58585 Posts: 207
    Have to agree with kleber; if he's got no hard evidence then I don't see much fall out for anyone else. We'll get the usual denials and libel cases eventually no doubt.
    Landis has no credibility after the way he behaved, so I don't see any cycling bodies giving much weight to what he comes out with.
    Good on him for finally coming clean anyway.
  • Kléber
    These are serious investigations and any governing body or official body will have a duty to investigate. The problem is evidence, I can make allegations but it will go to nowhere unless I have the polaroid of a Texan hooked up to a blood bag along with taped audio.

BUT anyone remember the late night MSN chat between Vaughters and Andreu? Landis is backing up what was said here, the move to using chilled blood. But above all, didn't Vaughters say "Floyd's got photos"? But perhaps photos of a motorbike with panniers are not exactly killer evidence.
  • rundle
    Kléber wrote:
    I wrote in January "Maybe he'll write a book one day and spill the beans." but it seems he's penned a letter.

Reading the allegations, they all sound plausible and recall the "textbook" methods used by many riders in recent years. Given so many others have been caught but plenty were not, I have little reason to doubt the fundamental points he is making.

The trouble is that right now it is his word against others, he an outsider and a busted doper, people will try to paint him as a bitter loser lashing out. He has to come up with a smoking gun piece of evidence.

If he has detailed journals that go back before his program started and continue all the way through his program, beyond when he left USPS, that will be the goods.

The journals will stand on their own, they will be accepted as his trianing records, not as a sign that he was "out to get Armstrong" - if they exist from a time before he even knew Armstrong.

However, the greater damage is done in public opinion.

Take a look at how this story is going wild in the world media.

The damage is done, now.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    RadioShack press officer Philippe Maertens told VeloNews that Armstrong and Bruyneel will speak to the press tomorrow morning at the team’s bus at the start of stage 5 of the Amgen Tour of California.

Sean Weide, U.S. media director for BMC Racing, told VeloNews that the team will issue a statement later regarding the allegations made against current BMC rider Hincapie and former Phonak boss — and current BMC Bicycles owner — Andy Rihs.

Garmin-Transitions communications director Marya Pongrace said that the team will offer comment soon regarding the allegations against its rider Zabriskie, who currently leads the Amgen Tour of California.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/05/news/wsj-and-espn-landis-admits-doping-alleges-use-by-armstrong-others_117407#ixzz0oS7IiQeE
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    http://ouchmedicalcenter.com/floyd

[Charlie Brown] Good grief [/Charlie Brown]
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    Unless there is some Franco-phobic stuff in the emails, how can we be sure they're from Floyd :wink:

Vaughters must have known DZ was up to no good in the past.
  • DaveyL
    Yep. Vaughters said in a Competitor Radio interview, something like "We have riders on the team who may or may not have doped in the past". His point being you couldn't just take a bunch of 20 year olds and hope to compete. You needed older riders on the team and some of them might bring some baggage with them.

I guess the important thing for him was that post-Puerto, the riders did things the right way, and he was probably hoping that if any sh*t did emerge, that their current stance would see them through in comparison to others. It will be interesting to see what the team have to say.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Unless he's got physical evidence, we'll have the "disgruntled and lacks credibility" line trotted out, but it will gain a higher media profile.
    There will still be plenty of people refusing to accept, or worse, care about, the obvious.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    RadioShack press officer Philippe Maertens told VeloNews that Armstrong and Bruyneel will speak to the press tomorrow morning at the team’s bus at the start of stage 5 of the Amgen Tour of California.

Sean Weide, U.S. media director for BMC Racing, told VeloNews that the team will issue a statement later regarding the allegations made against current BMC rider Hincapie and former Phonak boss — and current BMC Bicycles owner — Andy Rihs.

Garmin-Transitions communications director Marya Pongrace said that the team will offer comment soon regarding the allegations against its rider Zabriskie, who currently leads the Amgen Tour of California.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/05/news/wsj-and-espn-landis-admits-doping-alleges-use-by-armstrong-others_117407#ixzz0oS7IiQeE
    Blanket denial all round. We'll see if Hincapie and Zabriskie are put under investigation.

An interesting ethical dilema for Vaughters now.

This is the trouble with the subject, it just won't go away. You can sweep stuff under the carpet and hope to forget it but if it smells, well it's going to keep on smelling no matter how thick the carpet.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I love the fact that the velonews article has an advert for Radioshack alongside it....

I can guess what all implicated are going to say right now "Floyd is a discredited rider, who has tried to make a comeback, failed, has no money, has a destroyed life and is now thrashing out at those around him. He has lied in the past, he is lying now, we totally reject his accusations, will be consulting our lawyers."

Interesting the way he chose to do this as well - by email to a small select group and not in the big maelstorm of publicity he may otherwise have chosen. Kind of not really Floyd's "style"....
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    They've gone ballistic over on CN's clinic. 400 posts overnight. I gave up.
    One interesting point made .
    What happens if the DNA results of the Astana clinical waste dump get into the public domain, before the Tour?
    Will Tyler now break his silence?
    Will Vaughter's finally man up?

Floyd has detailed journals and accounts of his $90,000 a year programme; appointments with Doc Ferrari etc. Disco using an extra half litre of blood for the tour, compared to Kohl etc.
    However, he's only got his testimony for the big accusations, it seems.

He's given his evidence to the buster of BALCO, so it's over to the Feds......
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Wonder if Andreu,Vauhters, Tyler or even DZ would come out as wittinesses to some of Floyd's claims?

Otherwise no evidence and lawyer for the teams involved will busy working on trashing Floyd. I bet the lawyer have probably been waiting for something like this and have already drawn up contingence plans.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    Glad to see Floyd listened to Lemond. Eventually.
  • DaveyL
    andyp wrote:

+1 If he and Tyler had done this right away their lives would not, I suspect, be such a mess right now.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Kléber
    DavMartinR wrote:
    Wonder if Andreu,Vauhters, Tyler or even DZ would come out as wittinesses to some of Floyd's claims?

Otherwise no evidence and lawyer for the teams involved will busy working on trashing Floyd. I bet the lawyer have probably been waiting for something like this and have already drawn up contingence plans.
    What's interesting is that Landis is detailing his deeds but he is also linking others to them, which in legal terms is a much bigger deal. ESPN, WSJ and other media sources will not be printing these stories unless they feel they stand up, especially since they are doing more than summarising the leaked emails.

Exquisite timing for the leak, right in the middle of the Tour of California.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    andyp wrote:

Yea wonder what Lemond is thinking this morning? Gets dragged through the courts and exposing his private life only for Floyd too come clean.
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:
    andyp wrote:

+1 If he and Tyler had done this right away their lives would not, I suspect, be such a mess right now.

+2

Like I've said in the past, I don't believe Floyd is a BAD guy.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    This is good to read. This omerta is total rubbish. Anyone who has info on this Dirty Disco team of dopers from the US should come forward and take them down.

The worst thing is that he protested his innocence for so long and pleaded for people's money. He took a lot of money from people for nothing - this is ridiculous. These people must feel pretty angry and rightly so.
    Contador is the Greatest