Floyd -- he wrote us a letter...

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Kléber wrote:
    while winning the Tour de Swiss, the month before the Tour de France, tested positive for EPO at which point he and Mr Bruyneel flew to the UCI headquarters and made a financial agreement with Mr. Vrubrugen to keep the positive test hidden.
    Whoah!

Triple check. This is out bloody rageous. The UCI are totally corrupt - they really need to be taken down.

Thanks for the full text BS - very revealing. Those US riders have a HUGE amount of explaining to do. In fact none of them should be allowed to ride the Tour.

Lance is the biggest fraud in all sporting history. Forget Valverde's earnings, Lance's are on a whole other level.

Stay on them Landis. Destroy them.

Yea and while they are at turn your attention to the corrupt Spanish cycling authority and riders and dish out the same justice.
  • fastercyclist
    fastercyclist Posts: 396
    If allegations of corruption in the UCI can be substantiated I hope British Cycling withdraws from it.

I don't want the UCI on my racing licence. In fact it ticks me off to think I've got a UCI number.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    He [Armstrong] also divulged to me at that time that in the first year that the EPO test was used he had been told by Mr Ferrari, who had access to the new test, that he should not use EPO anymore but he did not believe Mr Farrari and continued to use it. He later, while winning the Tour de Swiss, the month before the Tour de France, tested positive for EPO at which point he and Mr Bruyneel flew to the UCI headquarters and made a financial agreement with Mr. Vrubrugen to keep the positive test hidden.

Out of the whole script this bit sounds abit far fetched.. This does however incriminate four people!

I just cant imagine Johan would even consider mentioning to Floyd he has to sort a little problem out with the UCI.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I am talking about 'US riders' as Levi, Lance, Hincap, etc are all from the US. No doubt there were others and if they are/were named by Landis I'd give them the same treatment.

If there is no official come-uppance from this then maybe the fans need to be more pro-active in making a huge uproar.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    cougie wrote:
    The Verbruggen thing is the biggest bit of it for me - but it just doesnt sound credible.
    How many people would they have to buy off to keep a positive test out of the news ?
    This is what I've been thinking as well. Test results are usually leaked to the press before any official announcement anyway. This would have been such big news I don't see how bribing one UCI official would have kept it under wraps.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Surely one of the keys to this is someone named by Landis deciding that they might as well admit to what they did. If everyone denies doing anything it might not achieve much, other than more headlines that damage the sport.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Unless JB let this slip to Floyd - without LA having tested positive, just so that if FL turned against him in years to come - JB would know that FL would trot out this bribing the UCI story and he would lose all credibility ? Man he's smart !

The widespread doping - yeah - EVERYONE knows about that. Covering up a positive test - hmmmm - I'm sure its not quite as clean cut as they're making out. The tests are now open to interpretation - its not as simple as peeing on a stick and if it turns blue - you're a doper, or pregnant.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    If there is no official come-uppance from this then maybe the fans need to be more pro-active in making a huge uproar.

Funniest thing I've read for years.

The human weather-vane does it again.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    "floyd landis" is currently the No. 1 search term on Google...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    squired wrote:
    Surely one of the keys to this is someone named by Landis deciding that they might as well admit to what they did. If everyone denies doing anything it might not achieve much, other than more headlines that damage the sport.

Indeed. Which makes the response from Garmin very interesting.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Just saw this on Lance's twitter from y'day:
    @mickrogers Motorized doping clearly. Spartacus, care to comment?

What a complete idiot trying to implicate Cancellara.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    Who? You or Lance?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Surely a joke about Cancellara ? He rode like that on a Cervelo and now a Specialized. Would he take the motor with him from team to team ? And wouldnt they check his bike at the end anyway ? I dont remember him changing bikes before the finish again.
    58585 Posts: 207
    squired wrote:

No chance. It would be suicide. No-one can under estimate the power Armstrong and the UCI combined have when it comes to pro-cycling. Anyone who comes out against them is on to a loser. I can't see one going down without taking the other with them.

As I said earlier, if they do go then what will come in their place? Plenty Vino's and Ricco's out there who are willing to play the game. Cycling has never been clean and there are at least a body of people who agree no sport ever will be.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    cougie wrote:
    The Verbruggen thing is the biggest bit of it for me - but it just doesnt sound credible.
    But this is not the first time the UCI has been accused of such behaviour. For example there is the half a million Dollars that Armstrong paid to the UCI. It has been argued that this was 'payment' for the hatchet job the UCI commissioned on the LNDD when his 'positives' for EPO in the 1999 Tour came to light. According to Syvia Schenk that money just disappeared, with its destination being a 'secret'. Then there was the way Verbruggen / the UCI covered up Laurent Brochard's positive when he 'won' the world RR championships, as detailed by Willy Voet.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Just saw this on Lance's twitter from y'day:
    @mickrogers Motorized doping clearly. Spartacus, care to comment?

What a complete idiot trying to implicate Cancellara.

He was replying to this tweet from Rogers:

@lancearmstrong is this the particular engine you used in the Tuesday nighter in Austin back in 2007? http://yfrog.com/0pt9isj

t9is.jpg
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I'm sure LA's twitter is a joke, just like this sport is starting to look!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Hey, I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but LA didn't win the Tour de Suisse in 2002.

Alex Zülle did. LA won n 2001.

That puts a hole in Landis' claims.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Pat McQuaid, the head of cycling's governing body UCI, questioned Landis's credibility. McQuaid said Landis is "seeking revenge" and holds a "grudge" against Armstrong and others.

And so cycling's most senior statesman begins the process of examining the evidence root and branch.
  • BikingBernie
    If allegations of corruption in the UCI can be substantiated I hope British Cycling withdraws from it.

I don't want the UCI on my racing licence. In fact it ticks me off to think I've got a UCI number.
    British Cycling are as complicit in this as anybody. Think back a few years ago when Patrice Clerc was leading an attempt on the part of the major organisers to break away from the corruption of the UCI. They were defeated because the federations of relative non-entity cycling nations like Britain ganged up on the federations of the traditional European cycling nations, supporting McQuaid and co.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Hey, I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but LA didn't win the Tour de Suisse in 2002.

are these emails real?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk wrote:

are these emails real?

Just re-read the 'Landis' email. He did say when LA was "winning" the Tour de Suisse, not that he won it.

Anyway.
  • andyp
    Pat McQuaid earlier today in the Mojave desert;

PDHeadInSand.gif
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    If he didn't win he can't have been doping?
  • BikingBernie
    Mccaria wrote:
    Pat McQuaid, the head of cycling's governing body UCI, questioned Landis's credibility. McQuaid said Landis is "seeking revenge" and holds a "grudge" against Armstrong and others.

And so cycling's most senior statesman begins the process of examining the evidence root and branch.
    I'll correct that for you.

And so cycling's most senior statesman begins the process of earning his 'retainer'. :wink:
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    So Floyd want s to 'come clean' and Tyler probably didn't have a genetic twin and guess what, Jan probbly took some drugs too! So what, the usual names from years ago brought to the fore by a man who lied under oath. What he says may be true but he should have said something in 2006. methinks a large lawsuit will be coming out of New York via Texas.
    M.Rushton
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Pat McQuaid earlier today in the Mojave desert;

Is he providing Lance with a place to park his bike ? The lengths some people will go
  • BikingBernie
    mrushton wrote:
    So Floyd want s to 'come clean' and Tyler probably didn't have a genetic twin and guess what, Jan probbly took some drugs too! So what, the usual names from years ago brought to the fore by a man who lied under oath.
    Er, Pharmstrong is down to ride this year's tour... :roll:
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:

are these emails real?

Just re-read the 'Landis' email. He did say when LA was "winning" the Tour de Suisse, not that he won it.

Anyway.

No, your point still stands. Armstrong didn't race the Tour de Suisse in 2002.

http://www.cyclingarchives.com/voorloop ... oopid=1486
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • SpaceJunk
    If he didn't win he can't have been doping?

No I didn't say that. However, if Landis' "diary'" contains inaccuracies such as times / places etc, it's not going to stand up is it?

He says the bride took place in 2002 whilst "winning" the Tour de Suisse, and Armstrong didn't even race in it.

Doesn't make Landis' claims credible then does it???